Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default VitaMix Coupon for "Mother's Day Special" + FREE Shipping coupon

On Sun 24 May 2009 08:45:53a, Dee Randall told us...

> Thanks for your reply. I always enjoy your pov.

And I yours...

> Today at home I have some organic beets, and I've heard that they are
> soooo good for the body as juice - I believe to buy beet juice is a
> premium expenditure (perhaps I'm mistaken, though.)
>
> But even though these beets are organic, and even though I clean my
> vegetables quite well, I am going to stick mainly to organic 'carrots
> and apples' for my juicing effort; I am not an advocate of raw food
> for myself.

But the apple and carrots are raw, no? A friend's mother used to routinely
add a raw beet or two when she made her fruit/vegetable juice combinations.
Pretty color, too. :-)

> Today it's "boiled" beet greens. Tomorrow it's "baked" (or steamed as
> some wish to call my method :-)) beets.

I have yet to make boiled beet greens, but I love beets. I bake mine also.
I particularly like my homemade pickled beets, as well as beet soup (not
necessarily borscht).

> DH will eat cooked carrots, but is not at all fond at seeing them on his
> plate :-)) and loves carrot juice. Me, I just love carrots, period.

I love carrots, too, although I can't eat raw carrots right now due to
dental problems. I don't like them overcooked, however.

Have you ever made a carrot pie? If not, you might want to try one. Steam
the carrots until they are tender enough to puree. Then follow your
favorite pumpkin pie recipe substituting the carrot puree for the pumpkin.
Really delicious.

> So for this little adventure -- all is well.

Good to hear it, Dee!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Never work before breakfast; if you have to work before breakfast,