Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Juicers: Recommendations on affordable one that works well?

Thinking abt buying a juicer.......

Any real world advice on them?

What model you own and like?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote:

>Finding them used like I did is hit more miss, more miss. I usually
>only see one, maybe 2 per year. A quick st. louis craigslist search
>found a Juiceman for $25, and others ranging from $20 to $70. On ePay,
>I found a Hamilton Beach for $10 plus $10 shipping, but with 22 minutes
>left on it, I am guessing it will be gone by the time you read this.

Yeah that's a god idea to find one used at a garage
sale or off craigslist

I'm not SURE I would use one consistently and that
would be a good way to find out before getting a new
one huh?

I will look around locally and see if any. Barring that
I will consider craigsliist
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote:

>Having looked at the newer Juiceman line, the engineering is similar to
>mine, but it has better seals so juices can't leak ou

Do you find that you use your EVERYDAY?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <> wrote:
>
>> jt august > wrote:
>>
>> >Having looked at the newer Juiceman line, the engineering is similar to
>> >mine, but it has better seals so juices can't leak ou

>> Do you find that you use your EVERYDAY?

> No, not everyday. I use it a few times a year, which is why I can live
> with the small splash leak I posted about. If I were a regular, daily
> user, I would be looking for that one with better seals.
>
> I use mine maybe 4-6 times per year, mainly for soup and veg sauce bases.
>
> jt

Are there two types of electric juicer on the market?
1.Has a strainer inside and retains the pith, seeds and skin.
2.The 'health' juicers, that pulverise everything, including ice. I saw one
of these on one of the shopping channels. Loadsa hype, heavy sales pitch and
costa fortune £200/$300. The question is, wouldn't a blender/liqidiser with
stainless steel blades, costing £20/$30 do exactly the same job?

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> 2.The 'health' juicers, that pulverise everything, including ice. I saw one
> of these on one of the shopping channels. Loadsa hype, heavy sales pitch and
> costa fortune £200/$300. The question is, wouldn't a blender/liqidiser with
> stainless steel blades, costing £20/$30 do exactly the same job?

That would be the vita-mix class of blender, with the super powerful
blades. here on my side of the pond, we have an ice cream treat known
as Concretes - basically an ice cream shake with no milk added,
McDonalds markets it as a McFlurry. One joke about these restaurant
grade high power blenders is that you can make a Concrete out of
concrete with these.

That said, the roughly $50/£25 blenders with the nozzles are called
smoothie makers here in the States. Their motors are weak compared to a
$500 vita-mix. But at 1/10th the price, they sell many more units.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with one as cleaning out the nozzles on
those beasts is very difficult. Using a smoothie style blender for
hollandaise is a definite no-no. And these machines just can crush ice
that smooth. Vita-mix and its competitors make most of their blenders
for restaurants can commercial operations; the home market is a small
but profitable side avenue for them. The low price smoothie blender
makers are capitalizing on a popular product that people want to make at
home on the cheap. Personally, I would tell someone to get a nice
Oster, Waring, KitchenAid or CuisinArt blender instead (these can go as
high as $150/£80).

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <
> "Bertie Doe" wrote:
>
>> 2.The 'health' juicers, that pulverise everything, including ice. I saw
>> one
>> of these on one of the shopping channels. Loadsa hype, heavy sales pitch
>> and
>> costa fortune £200/$300. The question is, wouldn't a blender/liqidiser
>> with
>> stainless steel blades, costing £20/$30 do exactly the same job?

> That would be the vita-mix class of blender, with the super powerful
> blades. here on my side of the pond, we have an ice cream treat known
> as Concretes - basically an ice cream shake with no milk added,
> McDonalds markets it as a McFlurry. One joke about these restaurant
> grade high power blenders is that you can make a Concrete out of
> concrete with these.
>
> That said, the roughly $50/£25 blenders with the nozzles are called
> smoothie makers here in the States. Their motors are weak compared to a
> $500 vita-mix. But at 1/10th the price, they sell many more units.
> Personally, I wouldn't bother with one as cleaning out the nozzles on
> those beasts is very difficult. Using a smoothie style blender for
> hollandaise is a definite no-no. And these machines just can crush ice
> that smooth. Vita-mix and its competitors make most of their blenders
> for restaurants can commercial operations; the home market is a small
> but profitable side avenue for them. The low price smoothie blender
> makers are capitalizing on a popular product that people want to make at
> home on the cheap. Personally, I would tell someone to get a nice
> Oster, Waring, KitchenAid or CuisinArt blender instead (these can go as
> high as $150/£80).
>
> jt

The big advantage you have on your side of the pond, is the fact that a lot
of your citrus is home grown and relatively cheap, which may explain why the
OP is looking at juicer, rather than a blender (incidently you're right, it
was the Vita Mix 5000, they were showing on the tv). At least I now know the
difference between the 2 machines - juicer or blender

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> The big advantage you have on your side of the pond, is the fact that a lot
> of your citrus is home grown and relatively cheap, which may explain why the
> OP is looking at juicer, rather than a blender (incidently you're right, it
> was the Vita Mix 5000, they were showing on the tv). At least I now know the
> difference between the 2 machines - juicer or blender

But on the juicer side, we have the citrus juicer and the vegetable
juicer. I spent more time on that because I figured that was what the
OP was asking about, and there is more to contemplate on those and they
are more expensive. For citrus juicing, there are non-electric,
handheld utensils for the single or perhaps 2 or 3 lemons at a time,
very cheap and very effective. Motorized citrus juicers are only worth
it if one does batches such as a pitcher of orange juice, lemonade or
limeade, as I do regularly.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote:

>That would be the vita-mix class of blender, with the super powerful
>blades.

I'm confused.... how does the VitaMix juicer differ
from other "juicers" such as Hamilton each model, etc?

Does the VitaMix pulverize EVERYTHING into juice
whereas the standard juicers separate the pulp form the
juice?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote:

>But on the juicer side, we have the citrus juicer and the vegetable
>juicer. I spent more time on that because I figured that was what the
>OP was asking about,

yes I'm interested in vegetable juicers

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun 11 Jan 2009 05:54:07p, told us...

> jt august > wrote:
>
>>That would be the vita-mix class of blender, with the super powerful
>>blades.

> I'm confused.... how does the VitaMix juicer differ
> from other "juicers" such as Hamilton each model, etc?
>
> Does the VitaMix pulverize EVERYTHING into juice
> whereas the standard juicers separate the pulp form the
> juice?

No matter what anyone else tell you, or what advertising you read, the
VitaMix is nothing more than a high-power glorified blender sold at
exorbitant cost.

A true juicer extracts the juice and separates the juice from the pump and
seeds. Admittedly, the good ones are expensive, but they are true juicers,
not blenders.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 01(I)/11(XI)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 4hrs 31mins
As busy as a one-eyed cat watching two mouse holes.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" < wrote in message
> On Sun 11 Jan 2009 05:54:07p, told us...
>
>> jt august < wrote:
>>
>>>That would be the vita-mix class of blender, with the super powerful
>>>blades.

>> I'm confused.... how does the VitaMix juicer differ
>> from other "juicers" such as Hamilton each model, etc?
>>
>> Does the VitaMix pulverize EVERYTHING into juice
>> whereas the standard juicers separate the pulp form the
>> juice?
>>

> No matter what anyone else tell you, or what advertising you read, the
> VitaMix is nothing more than a high-power glorified blender sold at
> exorbitant cost.

High power indeed, the tv demo quoted 17,000 rpm blade speed, but this is
needed to pulverise all the seed and fruit stones into a smooth drinkable
pulp. Unfortunately this produce a lot of heat.

The salesforce has turned this into a selling feature "If you're making a
base for soup, you don't need to heat it, as it's already at 80F+ ..." The
downside - if you're making a cold drink, you need to pulverise vast amounts
of ice-cubes, to offset the heat. I suspect, a smaller capacity blender with
s/steel blades, could do a similar job. If your usage is commercial, then it
may be worth buying a VM and an ice-making machine .

Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds, skin
and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of fruit or veg,
to produce a cup of juice. I guess this is a difficult one to answer, as 1lb
of ripe pineapple or melon, is going to produce more juice than apples and
pears. I guess a blender is ideal for say, a banana milkshake, but how would
a juicer cope with a banana?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 04:45:10a, Bertie Doe told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" < wrote in message

>>> I'm confused.... how does the VitaMix juicer differ
>>> from other "juicers" such as Hamilton each model, etc?
>>>
>>> Does the VitaMix pulverize EVERYTHING into juice
>>> whereas the standard juicers separate the pulp form the
>>> juice?
>>>

>> No matter what anyone else tell you, or what advertising you read, the
>> VitaMix is nothing more than a high-power glorified blender sold at
>> exorbitant cost.
>>

> High power indeed, the tv demo quoted 17,000 rpm blade speed, but this
> is needed to pulverise all the seed and fruit stones into a smooth
> drinkable pulp. Unfortunately this produce a lot of heat.
>
> The salesforce has turned this into a selling feature "If you're making
> a base for soup, you don't need to heat it, as it's already at 80F+ ..."
> The downside - if you're making a cold drink, you need to pulverise vast
> amounts of ice-cubes, to offset the heat. I suspect, a smaller capacity
> blender with s/steel blades, could do a similar job. If your usage is
> commercial, then it may be worth buying a VM and an ice-making machine
> .
>
> Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds,
> skin and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of
> fruit or veg, to produce a cup of juice. I guess this is a difficult one
> to answer, as 1lb of ripe pineapple or melon, is going to produce more
> juice than apples and pears. I guess a blender is ideal for say, a
> banana milkshake, but how would a juicer cope with a banana?

nI actuality, to cover all bases, one needs both a blender and a juicer. I
once owned a VitaMix and didn't like it. Gave it away, in lieu of the top
of the line Osterizer. I've had the Osterizer since 1966 and it's never
failed. A dedicated juicer can do wonderful things.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 17hrs 32mins
Even worse than raining cats and dogs is hailing taxi's.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 04:45:10a, Bertie Doe told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" < wrote in message
>>> On Sun 11 Jan 2009 05:54:07p, told us...

>>> No matter what anyone else tell you, or what advertising you read, the
>>> VitaMix is nothing more than a high-power glorified blender sold at
>>> exorbitant cost.
>>>

>> High power indeed, the tv demo quoted 17,000 rpm blade speed, but this
>> is needed to pulverise all the seed and fruit stones into a smooth
>> drinkable pulp. Unfortunately this produce a lot of heat.
>>
>> The salesforce has turned this into a selling feature "If you're making
>> a base for soup, you don't need to heat it, as it's already at 80F+ ..."
>> The downside - if you're making a cold drink, you need to pulverise vast
>> amounts of ice-cubes, to offset the heat. I suspect, a smaller capacity
>> blender with s/steel blades, could do a similar job. If your usage is
>> commercial, then it may be worth buying a VM and an ice-making machine
>> .
>>
>> Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds,
>> skin and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of
>> fruit or veg, to produce a cup of juice. I guess this is a difficult one
>> to answer, as 1lb of ripe pineapple or melon, is going to produce more
>> juice than apples and pears. I guess a blender is ideal for say, a
>> banana milkshake, but how would a juicer cope with a banana?

> nI actuality, to cover all bases, one needs both a blender and a juicer.
> once owned a VitaMix and didn't like it. Gave it away, in lieu of the top
> of the line Osterizer. I've had the Osterizer since 1966 and it's never
> failed. A dedicated juicer can do wonderful things.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I use my vitamix as well to grind wheat berries, rye berries.... I grind
one cup at a time. I have had two name-brand, as I recall, grain grinders
previously, but both failed. For grinding, the Vitamix, does have a
container that looks just like the wet container, with a different blade,
that you must purchase. I bought it, or it was included, at the time I
bought it abt 1995 +/-.

I have had other blenders, but put all away or whatever, when I bought the
vitamix. I use my KitchenAid food processor for dry blending, and Vitamix
for wet blending. But, for example, to do a pesto, I will use the food
processor even though one might consider it a wet blend. We all have our
ways as to what appliance we use for what process.

I do have a juicer. I disliked it from the start. I suppose there are more
fancy ones than I bought. I don't think many people will 'do' wheat grass,
but I had to buy a 'sausage-type' hand grinder to that -- a disaster, too.
Just an example of all the tools we use to do a job in the kitchen.

Good luck,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" <wrote in message
> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 04:45:10a, Bertie Doe told us...
>

>> Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds,
>> skin and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of
>> fruit or veg, to produce a cup of juice. I guess this is a difficult one
>> to answer, as 1lb of ripe pineapple or melon, is going to produce more
>> juice than apples and pears. I guess a blender is ideal for say, a
>> banana milkshake, but how would a juicer cope with a banana?

> nI actuality, to cover all bases, one needs both a blender and a juicer.
> once owned a VitaMix and didn't like it. Gave it away, in lieu of the top
> of the line Osterizer. I've had the Osterizer since 1966 and it's never
> failed. A dedicated juicer can do wonderful things.

Ok I googled up Osterizer and it's plenty powerful enough, 12 speed plus
they mention 'regular blades and s/steel blades'? Two different models or is
the s/s an accessory?
I also spotted a reference to a machine called Blendtec. During the smoothie
demo, there is a sneak reference to other machines using plungers to push
down fruit (VitaMix etc).
We eat a pint each of full-fat ice-cream, so I was interested in the
Blendtec video's reference to 'vanilla pudding' and 'Tang'. Haven't heard of
these in the uk, are they simply flavourings? He also made no reference to
adding sugar??

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bertie Doe" >
wrote:

>Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds, skin
>and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of fruit or veg,
>to produce a cup of juice.

So which is better?

A juicer that separates the pulp and
seeds?

Or a VitaMix that just liquefies
EVERYTHING?

I mean which is "healthier" for you?
better to just drink juice.... or better
for body to pulverize entire vegetable
and eat EVERYHTING?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> "Bertie Doe" >
> wrote:
>
>>Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds, skin
>>and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of fruit or
>>veg,
>>to produce a cup of juice.

> So which is better?
>
> A juicer that separates the pulp and
> seeds?
>
> Or a VitaMix that just liquefies
> EVERYTHING?
>
> I mean which is "healthier" for you?
> better to just drink juice.... or better
> for body to pulverize entire vegetable
> and eat EVERYHTING?

Some like to do both, and then it isn't an 'either/or' situation.

One thing about the vitamix, is that I've not been able to get a clear
juice. For some people who are ill and cannot digest a lot of fiber, a
clear juice is great. I know that when I got a test for a colonoscopy that
I looked everywhere for a clear juice without any additives (good or bad,
depending on your desires), and I could not find any clear juice.

of course, colonoscopy is not an everyday occurrence, but sometimes health
depends clear juice.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> "Bertie Doe"
> wrote:
>
>>Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds, skin
>>and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of fruit or
>>veg,
>>to produce a cup of juice.

> So which is better?
>
> A juicer that separates the pulp and
> seeds?
>
> Or a VitaMix that just liquefies
> EVERYTHING?
>
> I mean which is "healthier" for you?
> better to just drink juice.... or better
> for body to pulverize entire vegetable
> and eat EVERYHTING?

One of the most quoted sites on the net, is the George Metaljan Foundation
source http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=24
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/hmjd4 which suggests, that there's a lot of
goodness in the skin and pith of most fruit and veg. The trick is to
research recipes for blenders on the web. If you buy new, a recipe book
should be supplied. They will list lots of skins to avoid, which may taste
bitter - thus avoiding the need to add sugar.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bertie Doe" < wrote in message
> One of the most quoted sites on the net, is the George Metaljan Foundation
> source http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=24
> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/hmjd4 which suggests, that there's a lot of
> goodness in the skin and pith of most fruit and veg.

The list of 129 foods attached to the above homepage, makes great reading.
Reminds me, I must try carrot, leek and celery soup + spice. Lots of natural
sweetness there. I think tomato is classed as a fruit. I've never tried
mixing fruit and veg together as a smoothie or as a soup. Has anyone got any
suggestions on fruit and veg mixes? http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 03:05:05p, told us...

> "Bertie Doe" >
> wrote:
>
>>Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds,
>>skin and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of
>>fruit or veg, to produce a cup of juice.

> So which is better?
>
> A juicer that separates the pulp and
> seeds?
>
> Or a VitaMix that just liquefies
> EVERYTHING?
>
> I mean which is "healthier" for you?
> better to just drink juice.... or better
> for body to pulverize entire vegetable
> and eat EVERYHTING?

Your questions are too general. If you really want to drink everything
including seeds, cores, skin, some pulp which is indigestible, then go for
it.

Not my cup of tea. If I want juice, then I want juice, not sludge.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 5hrs 6mins
186,000 miles/sec: Not just a good idea, it's the LAW.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 09:19:45a, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...

>>> High power indeed, the tv demo quoted 17,000 rpm blade speed, but this
>>> is needed to pulverise all the seed and fruit stones into a smooth
>>> drinkable pulp. Unfortunately this produce a lot of heat.
>>>
>>> The salesforce has turned this into a selling feature "If you're
>>> making a base for soup, you don't need to heat it, as it's already at
>>> 80F+ ..." The downside - if you're making a cold drink, you need to
>>> pulverise vast amounts of ice-cubes, to offset the heat. I suspect, a
>>> smaller capacity blender with s/steel blades, could do a similar job.
>>> If your usage is commercial, then it may be worth buying a VM and an
>>> ice-making machine
>>> .
>>>
>>> Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds,
>>> skin and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of
>>> fruit or veg, to produce a cup of juice. I guess this is a difficult
>>> one to answer, as 1lb of ripe pineapple or melon, is going to produce
>>> more juice than apples and pears. I guess a blender is ideal for say,
>>> a banana milkshake, but how would a juicer cope with a banana?

>> nI actuality, to cover all bases, one needs both a blender and a
>> juicer. I
>> once owned a VitaMix and didn't like it. Gave it away, in lieu of the
>> top of the line Osterizer. I've had the Osterizer since 1966 and it's
>> never failed. A dedicated juicer can do wonderful things.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I use my vitamix as well to grind wheat berries, rye berries.... I
> grind one cup at a time. I have had two name-brand, as I recall, grain
> grinders previously, but both failed. For grinding, the Vitamix, does
> have a container that looks just like the wet container, with a
> different blade, that you must purchase. I bought it, or it was
> included, at the time I bought it abt 1995 +/-.
>
> I have had other blenders, but put all away or whatever, when I bought
> the vitamix. I use my KitchenAid food processor for dry blending, and
> Vitamix for wet blending. But, for example, to do a pesto, I will use
> the food processor even though one might consider it a wet blend. We
> all have our ways as to what appliance we use for what process.
>
> I do have a juicer. I disliked it from the start. I suppose there are
> more fancy ones than I bought. I don't think many people will 'do'
> wheat grass, but I had to buy a 'sausage-type' hand grinder to that -- a
> disaster, too. Just an example of all the tools we use to do a job in
> the kitchen.
>
> Good luck,
> Dee Dee

As I said, VitaMix has its devotees. I am not one of them. I have a grain
mill which has never failed, as well as 2 food processors and blender that
have never failed. I had a commercial grade juicer which I really liked,
but found I wasn't using it enough and sold it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 5hrs
I'm just a revved up youth on a thrill-kill rampage.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 12 Jan 2009 09:42:22a, Bertie Doe told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wrote in message
>> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 04:45:10a, Bertie Doe told us...
>>

>>> Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds,
>>> skin and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of
>>> fruit or veg, to produce a cup of juice. I guess this is a difficult
>>> one to answer, as 1lb of ripe pineapple or melon, is going to produce
>>> more juice than apples and pears. I guess a blender is ideal for say,
>>> a banana milkshake, but how would a juicer cope with a banana?

>> nI actuality, to cover all bases, one needs both a blender and a
>> juicer. I
>> once owned a VitaMix and didn't like it. Gave it away, in lieu of the
>> top of the line Osterizer. I've had the Osterizer since 1966 and it's
>> never failed. A dedicated juicer can do wonderful things.
>>

> Ok I googled up Osterizer and it's plenty powerful enough, 12 speed plus
> they mention 'regular blades and s/steel blades'? Two different models
> or is the s/s an accessory?
> I also spotted a reference to a machine called Blendtec. During the
> smoothie demo, there is a sneak reference to other machines using
> plungers to push down fruit (VitaMix etc).
> We eat a pint each of full-fat ice-cream, so I was interested in the
> Blendtec video's reference to 'vanilla pudding' and 'Tang'. Haven't
> heard of these in the uk, are they simply flavourings? He also made no
> reference to adding sugar??

In the US there are basically two types of packaged "vanilla pudding".
Both are combined with milk, but one is cooked and the other is "instant"
and simply beaten with milk. The cooked variety is basically a powder of
sugar and starch with flavoring and comes in many falvors. It actually
makes a pretty good pudding. No, not in the frame of reference used in the
UK. The closest thing I can think of is a very thick spoonable boiled
custard.

"Tang" is a powdered orange flavored drink made by combining with water.
Not particvularly appealing to me.

If you're accustomed to eating a pint of "full-fat ice-cream" which I also
enjoy. I would never expect any type blender to be able to produce the
same result. You're better off with a dedicated ice cream maker,
particiularly the variety with a self-contained refrigeration unit.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
6dys 4hrs 58mins
If wishes were horses, dogfood would be a lot cheaper.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" < wrote in message
> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 09:42:22a, Bertie Doe told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wrote in message
>>> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 04:45:10a, Bertie Doe told us...

>>> nI actuality, to cover all bases, one needs both a blender and a
>>> juicer. I
>>> once owned a VitaMix and didn't like it. Gave it away, in lieu of the
>>> top of the line Osterizer. I've had the Osterizer since 1966 and it's
>>> never failed. A dedicated juicer can do wonderful things.
>>>

>> Ok I googled up Osterizer and it's plenty powerful enough, 12 speed plus
>> they mention 'regular blades and s/steel blades'? Two different models
>> or is the s/s an accessory?
>> I also spotted a reference to a machine called Blendtec. During the
>> smoothie demo, there is a sneak reference to other machines using
>> plungers to push down fruit (VitaMix etc).
>> We eat a pint each of full-fat ice-cream, so I was interested in the
>> Blendtec video's reference to 'vanilla pudding' and 'Tang'. Haven't
>> heard of these in the uk, are they simply flavourings? He also made no
>> reference to adding sugar??

> In the US there are basically two types of packaged "vanilla pudding".
> Both are combined with milk, but one is cooked and the other is "instant"
> and simply beaten with milk. The cooked variety is basically a powder of
> sugar and starch with flavoring and comes in many falvors. It actually
> makes a pretty good pudding. No, not in the frame of reference used in
> the
> UK. The closest thing I can think of is a very thick spoonable boiled
> custard.

Agh thanks Wayne, the chilled version over here is 'Nesquick' vanilla,
banana, choc etc. Another one is 'Dream Topping'

> "Tang" is a powdered orange flavored drink made by combining with water.
> Not particvularly appealing to me.

Yes there used to be an instant orange powder drink, which had a metalic
taste to it.

> If you're accustomed to eating a pint of "full-fat ice-cream" which I also
> enjoy. I would never expect any type blender to be able to produce the
> same result. You're better off with a dedicated ice cream maker,
> particiularly the variety with a self-contained refrigeration unit.

We made the mistake in buying the cheaper non refrigeration unit, which is a
pain, as the freezer is a smallish cabinet type. As jt mentioned earlier,
it's easy to buy stuff and end up not using it.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 13 Jan 2009 03:45:01a, Bertie Doe told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" < wrote in message

>>> Ok I googled up Osterizer and it's plenty powerful enough, 12 speed
>>> plus they mention 'regular blades and s/steel blades'? Two different
>>> models or is the s/s an accessory?

I'm thinking two different models. However, I don't think I've ever seen a
blender of any brand that didn't have s/s blades.

>>> I also spotted a reference to a machine called Blendtec. During the
>>> smoothie demo, there is a sneak reference to other machines using
>>> plungers to push down fruit (VitaMix etc).

These are probably terrific for making smoothies and other usual blender
functions. However, I would depend on them as "juicers", or as a means of
making ice cream.

>>> We eat a pint each of full-fat ice-cream, so I was interested in the
>>> Blendtec video's reference to 'vanilla pudding' and 'Tang'. Haven't
>>> heard of these in the uk, are they simply flavourings? He also made no
>>> reference to adding sugar??

>> In the US there are basically two types of packaged "vanilla pudding".
>> Both are combined with milk, but one is cooked and the other is
>> "instant" and simply beaten with milk. The cooked variety is basically
>> a powder of sugar and starch with flavoring and comes in many falvors.
>> It actually makes a pretty good pudding. No, not in the frame of
>> reference used in the
>> UK. The closest thing I can think of is a very thick spoonable boiled
>> custard.
>>

> Agh thanks Wayne, the chilled version over here is 'Nesquick' vanilla,
> banana, choc etc. Another one is 'Dream Topping'
>
>> "Tang" is a powdered orange flavored drink made by combining with
>> water. Not particvularly appealing to me.
>>

> Yes there used to be an instant orange powder drink, which had a metalic
> taste to it.

Sounds nasty. <g>

>> If you're accustomed to eating a pint of "full-fat ice-cream" which I
>> also enjoy. I would never expect any type blender to be able to
>> produce the same result. You're better off with a dedicated ice cream
>> maker, particiularly the variety with a self-contained refrigeration
>> unit.
>>

> We made the mistake in buying the cheaper non refrigeration unit, which
> is a pain, as the freezer is a smallish cabinet type. As jt mentioned
> earlier, it's easy to buy stuff and end up not using it.

Back in 1973 or 1974 I bought an Italian made ice cream maker that has it's
own refrigeration unit, and I've never looked back. It make 1-1/2 quarts
and will make virtually kind of ice cream you can dream up. I think the
Italian manufacturers still lead the market, but there are other makes as
well.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
5dys 10hrs 27mins
The cat lets me live here.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" < wrote in message
>>> If you're accustomed to eating a pint of "full-fat ice-cream" which I
>>> also enjoy. I would never expect any type blender to be able to
>>> produce the same result. You're better off with a dedicated ice cream
>>> maker, particiularly the variety with a self-contained refrigeration
>>> unit.
>>>

>> We made the mistake in buying the cheaper non refrigeration unit, which
>> is a pain, as the freezer is a smallish cabinet type. As jt mentioned
>> earlier, it's easy to buy stuff and end up not using it.

> Back in 1973 or 1974 I bought an Italian made ice cream maker that has
> it's
> own refrigeration unit, and I've never looked back. It make 1-1/2 quarts
> and will make virtually kind of ice cream you can dream up. I think the
> Italian manufacturers still lead the market, but there are other makes as
> well.

One of those units would be very nice. My fav is vanilla ice cream on fresh
or tinned fruit. I roast my own coffee and would love to make coffee sauce
for ice cream, but I can never make it thick or strong enough. The local
s/mkt sells lots of flavored syrups - except coffee.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 13 Jan 2009 02:32:35p, Bertie Doe told us...

>>> We made the mistake in buying the cheaper non refrigeration unit,
>>> which is a pain, as the freezer is a smallish cabinet type. As jt
>>> mentioned earlier, it's easy to buy stuff and end up not using it.

>> Back in 1973 or 1974 I bought an Italian made ice cream maker that has
>> it's
>> own refrigeration unit, and I've never looked back. It make 1-1/2
>> quarts and will make virtually kind of ice cream you can dream up. I
>> think the Italian manufacturers still lead the market, but there are
>> other makes as well.
>>

> One of those units would be very nice. My fav is vanilla ice cream on
> fresh or tinned fruit. I roast my own coffee and would love to make
> coffee sauce for ice cream, but I can never make it thick or strong
> enough. The local s/mkt sells lots of flavored syrups - except coffee.

There is a coffee shop chain in the US, similar to Starbucks but better, by
the name of Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Company. They sell a coffee extract
that could probably be made into a syrup. It has a strong and robust
flavor.

There are international locations, but none in the UK that I know of.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
5dys 5hrs 11mins
Machine-independent: does not run on any existing machine.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bertie Doe" > wrote in message

My fav is vanilla ice cream on fresh
> or tinned fruit. I roast my own coffee and would love to make coffee sauce
> for ice cream, but I can never make it thick or strong enough. The local
> s/mkt sells lots of flavored syrups - except coffee.

Your remarks Coffee Sauce sounds fantastic for ice cream. I wonder if
this would be a similar recipe to what you might make.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Coffee-Sauce-198831

(Seeing you on alt.coffee)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" <wrote in message

>>> Back in 1973 or 1974 I bought an Italian made ice cream maker that has
>>> it's
>>> own refrigeration unit, and I've never looked back. It make 1-1/2
>>> quarts and will make virtually kind of ice cream you can dream up. I
>>> think the Italian manufacturers still lead the market, but there are
>>> other makes as well.
>>>

>> One of those units would be very nice. My fav is vanilla ice cream on
>> fresh or tinned fruit. I roast my own coffee and would love to make
>> coffee sauce for ice cream, but I can never make it thick or strong
>> enough. The local s/mkt sells lots of flavored syrups - except coffee.

> There is a coffee shop chain in the US, similar to Starbucks but better,
> by
> the name of Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Company. They sell a coffee extract
> that could probably be made into a syrup. It has a strong and robust
> flavor.
>
> There are international locations, but none in the UK that I know of.

Thanks the local (former Safeway) store is medium sized, the locations in
the big cities may have a wider range. Plenty of coffee liquors, but don't
fancy it lunchtime.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" < wrote in message

> "Bertie Doe" <wrote in message

> My fav is vanilla ice cream on fresh
>> or tinned fruit. I roast my own coffee and would love to make coffee
>> sauce for ice cream, but I can never make it thick or strong enough. The
>> local s/mkt sells lots of flavored syrups - except coffee.
>>

> Your remarks Coffee Sauce sounds fantastic for ice cream. I wonder if
> this would be a similar recipe to what you might make.
> http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Coffee-Sauce-198831
>
> (Seeing you on alt.coffee)
> Dee Dee

Thanks Dee but I was looking for a coffee flavor, that I could put into my
empty sqeezey syrup containers and maybe use over porridge as well - as a
change from maple flavored syrup. The egg yolks in the recipezaar, mean that
it'll have a fairly short fridge-life.

I might try Waynes idea of a coffee extract. I once tried 'Bev' made by
Lyons Tetley, but they add chicory, which spoils the taste IMO
http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/group3.htm

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:46:23 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
> wrote:

>"Dee Randall" < wrote in message
>>
>> "Bertie Doe" <wrote in message

>> My fav is vanilla ice cream on fresh
>>> or tinned fruit. I roast my own coffee and would love to make coffee
>>> sauce for ice cream, but I can never make it thick or strong enough. The
>>> local s/mkt sells lots of flavored syrups - except coffee.
>>>

>> Your remarks Coffee Sauce sounds fantastic for ice cream. I wonder if
>> this would be a similar recipe to what you might make.
>> http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Coffee-Sauce-198831
>>
>> (Seeing you on alt.coffee)
>> Dee Dee

>Thanks Dee but I was looking for a coffee flavor, that I could put into my
>empty sqeezey syrup containers and maybe use over porridge as well - as a
>change from maple flavored syrup. The egg yolks in the recipezaar, mean that
>it'll have a fairly short fridge-life.
>
>I might try Waynes idea of a coffee extract. I once tried 'Bev' made by
>Lyons Tetley, but they add chicory, which spoils the taste IMO
>http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/group3.htm

Try making a syrup and add instant coffee with just enough water to
make a paste. Play with that and see if you can get something
palatable.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:46:23 -0000, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:

>> Your remarks Coffee Sauce sounds fantastic for ice cream. I wonder if
>> this would be a similar recipe to what you might make.
>> http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Coffee-Sauce-198831

>Thanks Dee but I was looking for a coffee flavor, that I could put into my
>empty sqeezey syrup containers and maybe use over porridge as well - as a
>change from maple flavored syrup. The egg yolks in the recipezaar, mean that
>it'll have a fairly short fridge-life.

I personally don't like coffee flavor except for coffee itself. But my first
wife was from New England, where coffee frappes, etc. rule. And by far the best
selling coffee syrup there -- and her family's favorite -- is made by Autocrat
(http://www.autocrat.com/). It's commonly available in supermarkets from pints
to gallons.

Would something like that be useful for your purposes, even if you had to reduce
it further to achieve your target strength?

If not, never mind... 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

>>"Dee Randall" < wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bertie Doe" <wrote in message

>>> My fav is vanilla ice cream on fresh
>>>>

>>> Your remarks Coffee Sauce sounds fantastic for ice cream. I wonder
>>> if
>>> this would be a similar recipe to what you might make.
>>> http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Coffee-Sauce-198831
>>>
>>> (Seeing you on alt.coffee)
>>> Dee Dee

>>Thanks Dee but I was looking for a coffee flavor, that I could put into my
>>empty sqeezey syrup containers and maybe use over porridge as well - as a
>>change from maple flavored syrup. The egg yolks in the recipezaar, mean
>>that
>>it'll have a fairly short fridge-life.
>>
>>I might try Waynes idea of a coffee extract. I once tried 'Bev' made by
>>Lyons Tetley, but they add chicory, which spoils the taste IMO
>>http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/group3.htm
>>

> Try making a syrup and add instant coffee with just enough water to
> make a paste. Play with that and see if you can get something
> palatable.
> --

A couple of people on the coffee forums tried it, but the results were
strangely bitter, despite the presence of sugar/syrup.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:46:23 -0000, "Bertie Doe" <wrote:
>
>>> Your remarks Coffee Sauce sounds fantastic for ice cream. I wonder
>>> if
>>> this would be a similar recipe to what you might make.
>>> http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Coffee-Sauce-198831

>>Thanks Dee but I was looking for a coffee flavor, that I could put into my
>>empty sqeezey syrup containers and maybe use over porridge as well - as a
>>change from maple flavored syrup. The egg yolks in the recipezaar, mean
>>that
>>it'll have a fairly short fridge-life.

> I personally don't like coffee flavor except for coffee itself. But my
> first
> wife was from New England, where coffee frappes, etc. rule. And by far the
> best
> selling coffee syrup there -- and her family's favorite -- is made by
> Autocrat
> (http://www.autocrat.com/). It's commonly available in supermarkets from
> pints
> to gallons.
>
> Would something like that be useful for your purposes, even if you had to
> reduce
> it further to achieve your target strength?
>
> If not, never mind... 8

Looks interesting, haven't seen it in the uk yet. There may be something
similar in one of the larger s/markets, next time we do a big city shop.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
wrote:

> jt august > wrote:
>
> >That would be the vita-mix class of blender, with the super powerful
> >blades.

> I'm confused.... how does the VitaMix juicer differ
> from other "juicers" such as Hamilton each model, etc?
>
> Does the VitaMix pulverize EVERYTHING into juice
> whereas the standard juicers separate the pulp form the
> juice?

Basically, a VitaMix can pulverize concrete into juice. The VitaMix is
a high power blender, and the concept of juicing they market is to
simply break up the fruit into tiny suspension within the water
contained in the fruit or veggie.

A citrus juicer is a rotating, textured dome or a stationary, textured
dome, onto which citrus fruit is compressed to extract juice into a cup
or bowl below. Seeds and skin and dense pulp are retained by a course
strainer that is part of the foundation of the juicer.

A vegetable juice is a high speed centrifuge that grates inserted matter
and allows the juice to whip out via centrifugal force through tiny
holes at the walls serrations. The walls are tapered so that discarded
matter slides up, and then is ejected through a separate tube to the
discard cup. Depending on what has been juiced will determine if they
discard matter is considered edible or not. If juicing an unpeeled
apple, this matter will contain seeds, and is not particularly
palatable. If you juiced a peeled onion, the discard is then quite
edible, and might be worth something in its own right, still.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds, skin
> and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of fruit or veg,
> to produce a cup of juice. I guess this is a difficult one to answer, as 1lb
> of ripe pineapple or melon, is going to produce more juice than apples and
> pears. I guess a blender is ideal for say, a banana milkshake, but how would
> a juicer cope with a banana?

I've never tried a banana in my juicer, and I won't. I would imagine
the banana would become a paste in the centrifuge. Bananas are not that
juicy. I have not been able to find a recipe of homemade pineapple
banana juice, but I am guessing the commercial variety purees banana
into the citrus juice, allows it to merry for some period of time, and
then filters it to remove the physical particulate.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> nI actuality, to cover all bases, one needs both a blender and a juicer. I
> once owned a VitaMix and didn't like it. Gave it away, in lieu of the top
> of the line Osterizer. I've had the Osterizer since 1966 and it's never
> failed. A dedicated juicer can do wonderful things.

That is how I do it. I have a vegetable juicer, a citrus juicer, a
VitaMix blender and a Faberware blender. I use the Farber the least,
but there are times when the VitaMix is too much for what I am blending.
I haven't tried a hollandaise sauce in the VM yet, because I mastered
the art of whisking it in a bowl and then pan several years ago.

I use the citrus juicer mainly for batches of lemonade and limeade (add
honey to limeade, it is wonderful). I use the veggie juicer to extract
carrot juice, onion juice, broccoli juice and tomato (or is it tomatoe)
juice for soups and sauces where I want the flavours but not the pulp.

I use the blenders for blending, and the VitaMix is the more powerful,
similar to the blenders so many bars and restaurants have. The Farber
is for blending jobs where a lower power is perferred, where the
excessive heat the vitamix generates is a negative.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> I do have a juicer. I disliked it from the start. I suppose there are more
> fancy ones than I bought. I don't think many people will 'do' wheat grass,
> but I had to buy a 'sausage-type' hand grinder to that -- a disaster, too.
> Just an example of all the tools we use to do a job in the kitchen.

The Whole Foods near me has a wheat grass juicer, which is a roller type
juicer. The grasses are inserted and hand cranked through the serrated
rollers, which pinch and compress the juice out. I considered looking
for one, but I only need lemon grass juice or wheat grass for one recipe
each, so I just buy those juices in the needed quantity from WF and be
done with those.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> >> "Tang" is a powdered orange flavored drink made by combining with
> >> water. Not particvularly appealing to me.
> >>

> > Yes there used to be an instant orange powder drink, which had a metalic
> > taste to it.

> Sounds nasty. <g>

Tang was nasty (haven't seen it in years). It did have a metallic taste.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "Bertie Doe" > wrote in message
>
> My fav is vanilla ice cream on fresh
> > or tinned fruit. I roast my own coffee and would love to make coffee sauce
> > for ice cream, but I can never make it thick or strong enough. The local
> > s/mkt sells lots of flavored syrups - except coffee.
> >

> Your remarks Coffee Sauce sounds fantastic for ice cream. I wonder if
> this would be a similar recipe to what you might make.
> http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Coffee-Sauce-198831
>
> (Seeing you on alt.coffee)
> Dee Dee

I was thinking a sweetened, condensed milk based sauce with reduced
coffee or expresso added. Similarly, a reduced expresso could be added
to a caramelized simple syrup. The key is to gently reduce the
expresso, an already strong coffee, to an even more concentrated state
before adding it to a sauce. A caramelized simple syrup is one boiled
to a state that is not quite candied, still liquid when cooled, but is
just starting to brown and take on that caramel look, aroma and flavour.
I haven't made one in years, so I cannot remember off hand the
temperature on a candy thermometer.

BTW: on the expresso, since Bertie roasts his or her (sorry Bertie, I'm
not sure exactly who you are) own beans, the beans will be fresh ground.
I am a strong proponent of fresh ground beans. The difference is
flavour in coffee is immense and worthy.

I avoid commercially ground coffee at all costs. I will use instant in
a select few recipes, but ONLY a few.

jt

Best Juicers Out There? lourdesgourmet Cooking Equipment 0 18-07-2011 12:16 AM
Juicers: Recommendations on affordable one that works well? jt august[_2_] Cooking Equipment 4 24-01-2009 05:27 AM
Juicers metspitzer General Cooking 7 28-06-2008 08:54 PM
30% more than which other juicers? mm General Cooking 5 24-02-2007 05:55 PM
Advice about juicers usual suspect Vegan 11 11-11-2003 05:06 PM