Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default need recommendation - fry pan for 2 over-easy eggs

DH prepares his own 'over-easy' eggs, preferring himself to over-see their
perfection!

Somehow when an imperfect state comes about, he connects their imperfect
state to the pan he is using.

He does not want to use a non-stick pan. Anyhow, we have 'discontinued'
non-stick use in our kitchen for direct cooking. (I still have two that I
use when steaming - they have baskets) Cast iron for him is not a
consideration.

For my one-egg prep, I use a hard-anodized 7" skillet. This is too small
for 2 eggs. I always get it plenty hot before I put in the eggs.

Cast iron for him is also a no-go; perhaps I should consider a enameled cast
iron. But what size for two eggs?

Does anyone have a favorite pan for preparing 2 over-easy eggs - size also
needed, please.

His oil of choice is a mixture of olive oil and butter.
(Mine, too :-))

Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:54:50 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>DH prepares his own 'over-easy' eggs, preferring himself to over-see their
>perfection!
>
>Somehow when an imperfect state comes about, he connects their imperfect
>state to the pan he is using.
>
>He does not want to use a non-stick pan. Anyhow, we have 'discontinued'
>non-stick use in our kitchen for direct cooking.... Cast iron for him is not a
>consideration.

My impression has always been that your DH was an ultimately practical and
self-reliant fellow. But denying yourself use of the two tools best suited to
the job at hand would not seem to reinforce that appraisal -- he's created a
self-fulfilling prophecy of imperfection. 8

>....perhaps I should consider a enameled cast iron.

In my experience, enameled cast iron for eggs sticks worse than any other
surface unless and until a normal cast-iron finish is built up.

>But what size for two eggs? Does anyone have a favorite pan for preparing
>2 over-easy eggs - size also needed, please.

I make two eggs over easy for my wife occasionally. I've found that an oval
shape is perfect for two extra-large eggs. I use a Calphalon model 194 14" x 9"
oval non-stick pan, which has very low sides (1" or so). Works great.

>His oil of choice is a mixture of olive oil and butter.
>(Mine, too :-))

Ever try adding about 1/4 tsp. bacon fat to that mix for a tiny bit of smoky
breakfast flavor? (See http://www.xkcd.com/418/)

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> DH prepares his own 'over-easy' eggs, preferring himself to over-see
>> their
>> perfection!
>>
>> Somehow when an imperfect state comes about, he connects their imperfect
>> state to the pan he is using.

> It's a poor man that blames his tools.
>
> I bet a real chef could make a wonderful meal with what's in my kitchen,
> whereas I'd make at best an average family meal with what's in the
> chef's kitchen.
>
> It's the artisan, not the tool.

To some extent I agree, but if the pan is a cheap thin one with hot spots
the food can burn and stick.

You analogy of a good cook making a good meal with cheap cookware is partly
true, but better tools certainly make the job easier. Please don't
denigrate the rest of us due to your lack of cooking ability. You won't see
a brain surgeon using a pocket knife even though it is cheaper than a
scalpel. True, I suck at brain surgery no matter what tools I try.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> He does not want to use a non-stick pan. Anyhow, we have 'discontinued'
> non-stick use in our kitchen for direct cooking. (I still have two that I
> use when steaming - they have baskets) Cast iron for him is not a
> consideration.
>
> For my one-egg prep, I use a hard-anodized 7" skillet. This is too small
> for 2 eggs. I always get it plenty hot before I put in the eggs.

www.copperpans.com
http://www.copperpans.com/facofrpa.html

The 8" should be plenty big but you can always go up a notch.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:54:50 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>But what size for two eggs? Does anyone have a favorite pan for preparing
>>2 over-easy eggs - size also needed, please.

> I make two eggs over easy for my wife occasionally. I've found that an
> oval
> shape is perfect for two extra-large eggs. I use a Calphalon model 194 14"
> x 9"
> oval non-stick pan, which has very low sides (1" or so). Works great.

> -- Larry

You got me looking in my kitchen storage -- I found a nice Calphalon
"non-stick" pan that I hoard for myself that I use only for heating
store-bought tortillas. It's still in very good shape. It is heavy and the
finish looks solid.

a.. 10-inch nonstick griddle cooks crepes, omelets, tortillas, and more
a.. Three-layer construction: hard-anodized exterior, aluminum core,
nonstick surface
a.. Three-ply nonstick finish for low-fat cooking
a.. Oven-safe to 450 degrees F
a.. Lifetime warranty; made in China
http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Comm.../dp/B00005AWCA

I think he'll go for this as he's always eye-spying this pan.
If he likes it's capability, perhaps there is an equal quality in different
size for this guy.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> He does not want to use a non-stick pan. Anyhow, we have 'discontinued'
>> non-stick use in our kitchen for direct cooking. (I still have two that
>> I use when steaming - they have baskets) Cast iron for him is not a
>> consideration.
>>
>> For my one-egg prep, I use a hard-anodized 7" skillet. This is too small
>> for 2 eggs. I always get it plenty hot before I put in the eggs.

> www.copperpans.com
> http://www.copperpans.com/facofrpa.html
>
> The 8" should be plenty big but you can always go up a notch.

Thanks, Ed. I just asked DH if he would try the 10" Calphalon pan I
mentioned heretofore, as he has been eyespying this pan, knowing it has not
been put to really good use.

Oh, Ed, I admire the copper pan desire, but I can only think of using one
but in a future life. It's not right for me 'at this time.'

Funny, in the 70's when a particular (Portugal) copper bottom pan with a
ceramic insert was popular -- a double boiler for chocolate, I believe -- I
bought one. I couldn't get the coating off the lid, and as DH and I were in
our salad days and had no time for cleaning a lid, I just tossed the lid -
why did I do that? Immaturity, I suppose.
I still have the bottom and top and when I have used it, I use a glass lid
that barely fits perfectly. I've oft wondered why one needed that copper
bottom, but I suppose it is a traditional pot in Portugal that was marketed
here in the U.S.

Another piece of copper I bought was the egg insert bowl for the KitchenAid
mixer. It still sits gathering added 'color.'

I can't really say never, because then it will be the next piece I do buy
:-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:54:50 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>Does anyone have a favorite pan for preparing 2 over-easy eggs - size also
>needed, please.
>
>His oil of choice is a mixture of olive oil and butter.
>(Mine, too :-))

Eight inch ScanPan. Love those ScanPans!! Oven proof to 500F
and they will NOT warp.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:28:36 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>a.. 10-inch nonstick griddle cooks crepes, omelets, tortillas, and more
>a.. Three-layer construction: hard-anodized exterior, aluminum core,
>nonstick surface
>a.. Three-ply nonstick finish for low-fat cooking
>a.. Oven-safe to 450 degrees F
>a.. Lifetime warranty; made in China
>http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Comm.../dp/B00005AWCA

That exact pan is probably the most used pan in our kitchen, along with an
8-inch copper saute. I like it so much that when the price dropped to $30 a
while back, I actually bought two spares, which are up in the attic.

The oval pan I recommended the same construction -- same thickness, same low
sides, but with the larger oval shape. I think it cost $10 more.

Good luck with the sales job... 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> DH prepares his own 'over-easy' eggs, preferring himself to over-see their
> perfection!
>
> Somehow when an imperfect state comes about, he connects their imperfect
> state to the pan he is using.
>
> He does not want to use a non-stick pan. Anyhow, we have 'discontinued'
> non-stick use in our kitchen for direct cooking. (I still have two that I
> use when steaming - they have baskets) Cast iron for him is not a
> consideration.

A (seasoned) blue steel French skillet.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Isabella Woodhouse" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> DH prepares his own 'over-easy' eggs, preferring himself to over-see
>> their
>> perfection!
>>
>> Somehow when an imperfect state comes about, he connects their imperfect
>> state to the pan he is using.
>>
>> He does not want to use a non-stick pan. Anyhow, we have 'discontinued'
>> non-stick use in our kitchen for direct cooking. (I still have two that
>> use when steaming - they have baskets) Cast iron for him is not a
>> consideration.

> A (seasoned) blue steel French skillet.
> --

Hey, I have one.
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Billy" <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:54:50 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a favorite pan for preparing 2 over-easy eggs - size
>>also
>>needed, please.
>>
>>His oil of choice is a mixture of olive oil and butter.
>>(Mine, too :-))

> Eight inch ScanPan. Love those ScanPans!! Oven proof to 500F
> and they will NOT warp.

How old is your ScanPan. I've never used one. I notice that they are
somehow differently made in the past few years. Do you know?

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:06:09 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>How old is your ScanPan. I've never used one. I notice that they are
>somehow differently made in the past few years. Do you know?

Dee...mine are probably three years old. They look exactly like
new over all these years of everyday use. And you can still fry an
egg without any oil in the pan. I don't make them that way, since I
prefer the flavor of olive oil with eggs. They use regular
utensils...nothing special but I do seem to cook more with wood since
the handles don't get hot.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> DH prepares his own 'over-easy' eggs, preferring himself to over-see their
>> perfection!
>>
>> Somehow when an imperfect state comes about, he connects their imperfect
>> state to the pan he is using.
>>
>> He does not want to use a non-stick pan. Anyhow, we have 'discontinued'
>> non-stick use in our kitchen for direct cooking. (I still have two that I
>> use when steaming - they have baskets) Cast iron for him is not a
>> consideration.

> A (seasoned) blue steel French skillet.

Back in the day, way more than a couple of weeks ago, when I was a
breakfast chef, I had two small blue steel French skillet that were
reserved for eggs. They were great when used over a gas burner at low.
Each time I used them I wiped them out with a rag and put a pat of
butter in for the eggs. At the end of the morning I would clean them
with fresh oil and salt.

They never went through the dishwasher.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message

> Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
>> A (seasoned) blue steel French skillet.

> Back in the day, way more than a couple of weeks ago, when I was a
> breakfast chef, I had two small blue steel French skillet that were
> reserved for eggs. They were great when used over a gas burner at low.
> Each time I used them I wiped them out with a rag and put a pat of butter
> in for the eggs. At the end of the morning I would clean them with fresh
> oil and salt.
>
> They never went through the dishwasher.
>
> Matthew

Now, I am thinking of 'back in the day" myself. Now that you have jogged my
memory, I did have a couple of probably 7" - 8" blue steel skillets. If I
can even recall correctly, I think I used one of them for eggs, and one of
them for crepes and wiped with salt.

Thanks both of you for reminding this ole' grey head. :-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> Please don't
> denigrate the rest of us due to your lack of cooking ability.

But that is all Shag-licker can do. It isn't his lack of cooking
ability, it's his lack of self-worth. Since he can't make himself
better, he has to try to bring us down to his level. Do what i did,
plonk him and you'll never see his worthless posts.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I once had a cooking instructor who often said, "An
omelette pan is an omelette pan is an omelette pan." It is
not to be used for anything else and is never to be washed.
Matthew mentioned the salt and oil technique for cleaning,
and that just echoes what I was taught.

Anyway, if you are not using an infrared thermometer,
don't laugh, many of us use them, to determine the
temperature of the pan (they are pretty cheap these days),
then use this little trick. Put your pan (any pan) on the
stove with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water in it. When the water
has a good boil, empty the pan, place it back on the
burner, count to five or ten (you determine what is proper)
and turn the heat off.

The pan should then be a a low enough temperature and
should retain the heat long enough for some quick eggs over
easy.

Make your personal adjustments depending upon electric,
gas, etc. heat sources and the thickness and heat
transference abilities of your 'dedicated' pan.

Currently I exclusively use an induction hob for all my
stove top cooking -- and I love it.

Gary Hayman
Greenbelt, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:06:55 -0700 (PDT), zydecogary
> wrote:

>Anyway, if you are not using an infrared thermometer,

Sounds like a whole lot of hoo-hoo for something I have been doing by
rote for forty years!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"zydecogary" > wrote in message

> Anyway, if you are not using an infrared thermometer,
> don't laugh, many of us use them, to determine the
> temperature of the pan

I do use an infrared thermometer (as well as a ThermoPen). But I've yet to
decide on what temperature I really want for scrambled or fried. My problem
is I like to get the skillet hot for almost everything I cook, and I'm too
cautious about eggs, so I tend to back off and the pan then becomes
under-temperature.

Do you have a suggestion for infrared therm temp for eggs -- what I'm asking
for is an 'don't go over this temperature' temperature. Quite a sentence.

I like your other suggestions about turning off heat and finishing up. Of
course, the situation will be different on cook top vs. induction, everyone
knows that already :-)))

> Currently I exclusively use an induction hob for all my
> stove top cooking -- and I love it.

Yeah, I've dragged mine out again and am using them the last few days after
Larry mentioned them. DH is still fighting induction, but he's not stubborn
enough to totally resist.

Thanks, Zydeco Gary.
Dee Dee
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:53:01 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>I do use an infrared thermometer (as well as a ThermoPen). But I've yet to
>decide on what temperature I really want for scrambled or fried. My problem
>is I like to get the skillet hot for almost everything I cook, and I'm too
>cautious about eggs, so I tend to back off and the pan then becomes
>under-temperature.
>
>Do you have a suggestion for infrared therm temp for eggs -- what I'm asking
>for is an 'don't go over this temperature' temperature. Quite a sentence.

325 - 350 deg. F for fried.

But for scrambled, the lower the temperature, and the longer the cooking time,
the silkier (creamier) the result. Patience is rewarded.

Of course, if you like hard scrambled eggs, never mind. 8

I haven't tried scrambled eggs on the induction hob yet, but when I do, it will
be at 250 degrees. If I ever get a non-stick, induction-ready pan of an
appropriate size...

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:53:01 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>I do use an infrared thermometer (as well as a ThermoPen). But I've yet
>>decide on what temperature I really want for scrambled or fried. My
>>problem
>>is I like to get the skillet hot for almost everything I cook, and I'm too
>>cautious about eggs, so I tend to back off and the pan then becomes
>>under-temperature.
>>
>>Do you have a suggestion for infrared therm temp for eggs -- what I'm
>>asking
>>for is an 'don't go over this temperature' temperature. Quite a
>>sentence.

> 325 - 350 deg. F for fried.
>
> But for scrambled, the lower the temperature, and the longer the cooking
> time,
> the silkier (creamier) the result. Patience is rewarded.
>
> Of course, if you like hard scrambled eggs, never mind. 8
>
> I haven't tried scrambled eggs on the induction hob yet, but when I do, it
> will
> be at 250 degrees. If I ever get a non-stick, induction-ready pan of an
> appropriate size...
>
> -- Larry

Thanks, Larry.

I just now scrambled 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp. clarified butter, 1 T half-&-half in
the non-stick skillet, the one that will be turned over to the DH. Did not
pour eggs in until the skillet reached 250ºF. Perfection!

I'll have to try this same recipe in my Calphalon hard-anodized at 250º
(tomorrow), but it will be 1 egg, etc. If it doesn't work, then I'll try it
with a mixture of EVOO & clarified butter. I feel I'm going to have to use
more oil in that pan.

When the DH gets ready to do his eggs another day, he'll do them in the
non-stick at 325-350 as you suggested. Hoping they don't cluck all over the
stove-top. Clarified butter will help.

I usually cook "hard" scrambled eggs for myself - can't stand squiggley -
but the taste with non-stick at 250º was better, I admit that. Hard-cooked
has been my trade-off.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:31:21 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>Thanks, Larry.
>
>I just now scrambled 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp. clarified butter, 1 T half-&-half in
>the non-stick skillet, the one that will be turned over to the DH. Did not
>pour eggs in until the skillet reached 250ºF. Perfection!

You're welcome -- glad you achieved success right off the bat.

I usually use whole sweet butter for flavor, since it never gets that hot in
low-temp scrambling. And I use heavy cream (hey, I'm old -- what do I have to
lose?), and twice as much as you -- 1/4 cup for four large eggs, which would be
two TBS for two eggs. A tiny bit of herb never hurt, either -- dill or thyme,
usually. Aleppo pepper adds a nice flavor and flecks of color as well.

Clarified butter or ghee for the fried eggs, definitely.

You've got me tempted now. Just went downstairs to my "reject" box, and found an
All Clad non-stick saute pan that tests OK with the magnet. Problem is, it's a
14" pan, so too big for the induction hob, and I'd have to make enough eggs for
an army...

Enjoy the experimentation!

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

For a great omelette one might use very high heat rather than low
heat.

See

http://bit.ly/omelette

Gary Hayman
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message

> It's a poor man who blames his tools. Is it easier with good tools?
> Sure. Is it required to have great and expensive tools? No.

But we're not blaming our tools, we just want the best, perhaps better than
what we have. .

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message

Just went downstairs to my "reject" box, and found an
> All Clad non-stick saute pan that tests OK with the magnet. Problem is,
> it's a
> 14" pan, so too big for the induction hob, and I'd have to make enough
> eggs for
> an army...
>
> -- Larry

I measured my ss 14" (NOT non-stick) skillet, and the bottom of it measures
12". I have used it on the electric cook-top even though it's 1/2" over
the 11-1/2" line.

The induction hob outer-line is also 11-1/2". But the very edge only leaves
about 1/4" +/- of glass.

A14" all clad must weigh a lot --
I'm not sure if I would want to put something 'really' heavy on the hub I
have. It would probably take the weight, but even so ----

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"zydecogary" > wrote in message
> For a great omelette one might use very high heat rather than low
> heat.
>
> See
>
> http://bit.ly/omelette
>
> Gary Hayman

:-)) Only the French!!!

I agree there are some recipes for an omelette that the preferential way of
cooking is to have a bit of brown or crust on the outside. I assume this
can be cooked at high heat (and runny inside) (or cooked at high heat a
little longer for not running inside).

I have a hard time even with cheese inside because I get the gags, thinking
it may be uncooked eggs. DH has a special way of cooking omelettes that
have cheese inside, but it is well-done inside (for my tastes). Thank
heavens, I can turn my back on him and not worry! :-))

Dee Dee