Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Furi shaprning system?

Anyone use the Furitechnic sharpening system?

http://www.furitechnics.com.au/produ...ening_usa.html

Seems simple enough and you can get if from Amazon for $95 or a deal from
Furi for $99 including a 5" knife. (check the TV ad page)

Right now, I use a Gatco system and it works OK, but this seems easier and
my wife would be able to use the hone.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> Anyone use the Furitechnic sharpening system?
>
> http://www.furitechnics.com.au/produ...ening_usa.html
>
> Seems simple enough and you can get if from Amazon for $95 or a deal from
> Furi for $99 including a 5" knife. (check the TV ad page)
>
> Right now, I use a Gatco system and it works OK, but this seems easier and
> my wife would be able to use the hone.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Ed, if I'm not mistaken, I was inquiring about this very same product
sometime ago, no doubt on this list and probably mixed in with conversations
about knives. There were some answers that convinced me that it was not for
me; I don't recall exactly why.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> It was mentioned here a while ago. From what I read here and on
> websites, it got very mixed reviews. The fact that it had RR's
> name on it, put it at below the threshold of my serious
> consideration.
>
> -sw

I first saw the knives and sharpening system before the celebrity
endorsement. Funny how that becomes a negative in some cases. I read the
reviews on Amazon, but I don't trust them as much as the regulars here.
There are some twits that write reviews on Amazon that would return gold
bars because they are too heavy.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> Anyone use the Furitechnic sharpening system?
>
> http://www.furitechnics.com.au/produ...ening_usa.html
>
> Seems simple enough and you can get if from Amazon for $95 or a deal from
> Furi for $99 including a 5" knife. (check the TV ad page)
>
> Right now, I use a Gatco system and it works OK, but this seems easier and
> my wife would be able to use the hone.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Get some water stones and learn to sharpen a knife the proper way. If you
must use a gadget then get the Edge Pro system which is water stones and
polishing tapes. All of the other things are crap and will do more damage to
your knife than sharpen it.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message

> Get some water stones and learn to sharpen a knife the proper way. If you
> must use a gadget then get the Edge Pro system which is water stones and
> polishing tapes. All of the other things are crap and will do more damage
> to your knife than sharpen it.

I have water stones and know how to use them. My wife, though, does not and
knives can use a touchup between sharpening. If you get say, 6 to 8 weeks
vacation, you can come over and teach her to use the stones.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:48:52 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Anyone use the Furitechnic sharpening system?
>
>http://www.furitechnics.com.au/produ...ening_usa.html
>Right now, I use a Gatco system and it works OK, but this seems easier and
>my wife would be able to use the hone.

Haven't they been selling the hone stage as a separate implement for
the past several years? Someone has.

One obvious criticism is that this set is useful only for knives with
a 20-degree edge. So it's useless for your cleaver (requires a larger
angle), smaller-angle Japanese-type knives (most Globals, Shuns,
etc.), or single-side bevelled knives (Global debas, etc.)

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message

> Get some water stones and learn to sharpen a knife the proper way. If you
> must use a gadget then get the Edge Pro system which is water stones and
> polishing tapes. All of the other things are crap and will do more damage
> to your knife than sharpen it.
>
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

I believe he was asking about a product for his wife's use? Perhaps when he
is not around, or just doesn't feel like it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >, says...
> Anyone use the Furitechnic sharpening system?

http://www.furitechnics.com.au/produ...ening_usa.html

> Seems simple enough and you can get if from Amazon for $95 or a deal from
> Furi for $99 including a 5" knife. (check the TV ad page)
>
> Right now, I use a Gatco system and it works OK, but this seems easier and
> my wife would be able to use the hone.

For $30 more get the Basic EdgePro:

http://bronksknifeworks.com/Edge_Pro...sharpeners.htm

It sharpens knifes as they should be, by moving a stone across the
knife's edge. It controls the angle precisely so you can use 15 degrees
for your sushi knife, 18 for general kitchen knives, 21 for a hunting
knife, and so on. It takes a little figuring out, but within 15 minutes
you'll be going strong. The first sharpening of any knife will take
longer because it is probably at the wrong angle.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Peter A" > wrote in message
> http://bronksknifeworks.com/Edge_Pro...sharpeners.htm
>
> It sharpens knifes as they should be, by moving a stone across the
> knife's edge. It controls the angle precisely so you can use 15 degrees
> for your sushi knife, 18 for general kitchen knives, 21 for a hunting
> knife, and so on. It takes a little figuring out, but within 15 minutes
> you'll be going strong. The first sharpening of any knife will take
> longer because it is probably at the wrong angle.

Looks great for sharpening, does not help with my wife honing though. Maybe
the Edge Pro for regular sharpening and the Furi for honing instead of a
steel.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
says...

> "Peter A" > wrote in message

http://bronksknifeworks.com/Edge_Pro...sharpeners.htm

> > It sharpens knifes as they should be, by moving a stone across the
> > knife's edge. It controls the angle precisely so you can use 15 degrees
> > for your sushi knife, 18 for general kitchen knives, 21 for a hunting
> > knife, and so on. It takes a little figuring out, but within 15 minutes
> > you'll be going strong. The first sharpening of any knife will take
> > longer because it is probably at the wrong angle.

> Looks great for sharpening, does not help with my wife honing though. Maybe
> the Edge Pro for regular sharpening and the Furi for honing instead of a
> steel.

The Furi is not a replacement for a steel.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Peter A" > wrote in message

> The Furi is not a replacement for a steel.

They certainly tout is as such

http://www.furitechnics.com.au/images/RRDVD_256Kbps.wmv

http://www.ozitech.com/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I think that's all puffing. Saw that Furi ad awhile back with them saying
"it's impossible to hold the knife at an appropriate angle while steeling
the knife" or whatever. Chefs for hundreds of years have been using steel
with few problems. Even if the Furi system is better, I don't think it's
better enough to make the price worthwhile.