Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Furi knife sharpening system

A few weeks ago I asked here if anyone has tried this system. Seems as
though no one did and alternate methods wee suggested. While I appreciate
that, other systems do are not as simple as this system appears to be and my
wife would not use a set of stones, etc. She is not good with a steel.

Someone even suggested I buy a setup to try. While it was said at least
partly in jest, that is exactly what I did do. It arrived in the mail
yesterday, along with a 5" knife.

http://www.furitechnics.com.au/news_usa.html
http://www.ozitech.com/
http://www.furitechnics.com/shop_usa.html

I bought the entire setup through the ozitech.com "as seen on TV" and got
the Pro Knife setup, the Ozitech fingers and the 5" knife for a total of
$109 including shipping.

Today I sharpened all my knives but two. My wife did the two. They are as
sharp as they have ever been, it is fast, easy to use, and I'm quite pleased
with it.

You can duplicate the sharpness with other systems and good stones, but not
as easily and not very cheaply by comparison. If you don't like what you
have, or just don't have sharp knives, this is worth investigating.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:30:06 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I bought the entire setup through the ozitech.com "as seen on TV" and got
>> the Pro Knife setup, the Ozitech fingers and the 5" knife for a total of
>> $109 including shipping.

> Is the $30 gizmo basically just for honing? Or do you think it
> does actually sharpen by mild grinding? Is that the "Stage 3"
> fingers, or Stage 2?
>
> -sw

Actually sharpens. It is a nearly identical stage 2, just a portable
version. It is impregnated with industrial diamonds and removes steel; a few
passes makes a difference. Stage 1 is only used once or twice a year for a
major overhaul.

I've visited friends and helped with cooking and in the future, I will
bring it along. Some people never sharpen their knives.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> I've actually bought then semi-decent knives and 2 weeks later
> they're already dull.

A restaurant I worked at fired a guy because the restaurant got their
knives resharpened every two weeks, and on the very day the respharps
came in, some new hire took two of them and used them as drum sticks on
the stainless work table at his station, edge side down.

And he wasn't even a very good drummer.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

hey if it works for you that's great. The problem I have with the Furi
system is they imply that honing steels are useless and that even
experienced chefs are unable to hold the blade at the right angle for the
length of the stroke.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Zippy P" > wrote in message
> hey if it works for you that's great. The problem I have with the Furi
> system is they imply that honing steels are useless and that even
> experienced chefs are unable to hold the blade at the right angle for the
> length of the stroke.

Some can, some can't. I use a steel with pretty good results. If that gets
your shorts in a knot you must use a steel or be a chef and take advertising
hype personally. Try the system, then give us your results.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:30:06 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

>You can duplicate the sharpness with other systems and good stones, but not
>as easily and not very cheaply by comparison. If you don't like what you
>have, or just don't have sharp knives, this is worth investigating.

My concern with such systems is that you still have to hold the knife centered
in order to get a centered, consistently sharp edge. This would seem to apply to
the coarse Fury plug-in as well.

But unlike others, the Furi system has those curved fingers on its smooth and
hone elements. So tell me -- do those curved fingers work in keeping the blade
vertical? If you try to hold the blade crooked, do you feel any pressure from
the spring fingers tending to center the blade?

Tnx -- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> My concern with such systems is that you still have to hold the knife
> centered
> in order to get a centered, consistently sharp edge. This would seem to
> apply to
> the coarse Fury plug-in as well.
>
> But unlike others, the Furi system has those curved fingers on its smooth
> and
> hone elements. So tell me -- do those curved fingers work in keeping the
> blade
> vertical? If you try to hold the blade crooked, do you feel any pressure
> from
> the spring fingers tending to center the blade?
>
> Tnx -- Larry

The fingers do help to guide it. I've not tried to go at an odd angle since
there is no sensible reason to do so; it is just a natural pull through and
works. From my use sharpening a half dozen knives, it is not a concern at
all. I did not measure angles on the finished blade to see if both sides
are 20 degrees of if one is 19.5 and the other is 20.5. What matters to me
is that they are damned sharp. End result is as good as advertised.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message
>> My concern with such systems is that you still have to hold the knife
>> centered
>> in order to get a centered, consistently sharp edge. This would seem to
>> apply to
>> the coarse Fury plug-in as well.
>>
>> But unlike others, the Furi system has those curved fingers on its smooth
>> and
>> hone elements. So tell me -- do those curved fingers work in keeping the
>> blade
>> vertical? If you try to hold the blade crooked, do you feel any pressure
>> from
>> the spring fingers tending to center the blade?
>>
>> Tnx -- Larry

> The fingers do help to guide it. I've not tried to go at an odd angle
> since there is no sensible reason to do so; it is just a natural pull
> through and works. From my use sharpening a half dozen knives, it is not
> a concern at all. I did not measure angles on the finished blade to see
> if both sides are 20 degrees of if one is 19.5 and the other is 20.5.
> What matters to me is that they are damned sharp. End result is as good
> as advertised.

Thanks for the review. I was looking for something different myself a while
back. I ended up getting out a Chef's Choice, something or other, but what
you bought was of real interest to me at the time, so I appreciate it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the review. I was looking for something different myself a
> while back. I ended up getting out a Chef's Choice, something or other,
> but what you bought was of real interest to me at the time, so I
> appreciate it.
> Dee Dee

You're welcome. We're here to share experiences and that was mine.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 01:37:12 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

>You're welcome. We're here to share experiences and that was mine.

Yes. Have you tried it on knives with other than straight edges yet? If so, how
did it do?

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 01:37:12 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>>You're welcome. We're here to share experiences and that was mine.

> Yes. Have you tried it on knives with other than straight edges yet? If
> so, how
> did it do?
>
> -- Larry

I've not tried it and probably won't. The literature said it may help a
bit, but it is not designed for serrated or scalloped blades.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I think the product is overly complex and too expensive. Just buy and
learn how to use a good steel.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I think the product is overly complex and too expensive. Just buy and
> learn how to use a good steel.

But a steel cannot sharpen a blade; I've owned and used one for years. I'd
still hone the blades a couple of times a year, just as any blade must be.
My wife never got the knack of using one, thus the reason to look for
something simple and reliable.

Expensive? Maybe, but have you priced a good set of stones? It is not
complex at all; one of the reasons I bought it. Very easy to use.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Knife memories (was Furi knife sharpening system)

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> But there
> does come a time when you need to grind a little metal off your
> knives.

Reminds me of the scariest cooking knife I ever saw. It was at a garage
sale when I was about 12 years old, so this was roughly 32 years ago.
Old man selling old kitchen stuff, and he had a kitchen knife that was
maybe 10 inches long on the blade, but had been sharpened so many times,
that the depth of the blade from cutting edge to the spine was less than
a quarter inch. I can just imagine the pain trying to use that knife
chop lettuce.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
>> But there
>> does come a time when you need to grind a little metal off your
>> knives.

> Reminds me of the scariest cooking knife I ever saw. It was at a garage
> sale when I was about 12 years old, so this was roughly 32 years ago.
> Old man selling old kitchen stuff, and he had a kitchen knife that was
> maybe 10 inches long on the blade, but had been sharpened so many times,
> that the depth of the blade from cutting edge to the spine was less than
> a quarter inch. I can just imagine the pain trying to use that knife
> chop lettuce.
>
> jt

I've seen a few at my in-laws house. I believe they were at least a hundred
years old and of course, well-used.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:23:17 GMT, jt august > wrote:

>Reminds me of the scariest cooking knife I ever saw. It was at a garage
>sale when I was about 12 years old, so this was roughly 32 years ago.
>Old man selling old kitchen stuff, and he had a kitchen knife that was
>maybe 10 inches long on the blade, but had been sharpened so many times,
>that the depth of the blade from cutting edge to the spine was less than
>a quarter inch. I can just imagine the pain trying to use that knife
>chop lettuce.

THAT reminds me of a former housemate's chef's knife, must have been a
Wusthof or Henckels, that he'd had for years and years and years. At
that time, about 25 years ago, the blade was probably 2/3 as wide as
it was originally. I should email him and find out if he still has
the darned thing. He taught me a lot about cooking.