Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default TechEdge Furi Knife Sharpener - Rachel Ray's brand

I looked at the Furi knife sharpener video and it looks very interesting.
However, I see now that Rachel Ray has her fingers in the pie and has added
her favorite color "orange" to one of the three prongs of the sharpener.
http://www.amazon.com/Furi-Rachael-T.../dp/B00066MAQA

She has added her special touch to the handles of the Furi knife, making
them orange; and perhaps they are some sort of plastic or poly, I can't
tell, but she has her name on the ones she sells.

I am wondering if one should suspect the Rachel Ray brand of Furi knife
sharpeners as being a little less effective. I don't know how that third
piece which is now orange could be of use vs. the metal as originally made.

Does anyone have any knowledge or comments about this?

Dee
With stones, electric sharpener and sharpening steel, and even a 'wheel' in
the shed.
I like the 'always at 20º' feature on these Furi sharpeners.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

My comments are at http://users.ameritech.net/knives/slot.htm#furi
Also see the latest Cook's Illustrated, which rated the Furi Not
Recommended.

Steve
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com
Remove REMOVE from address when replying

Dee Randall wrote:
> I looked at the Furi knife sharpener video and it looks very interesting.
> However, I see now that Rachel Ray has her fingers in the pie and has added
> her favorite color "orange" to one of the three prongs of the sharpener.
> http://www.amazon.com/Furi-Rachael-T.../dp/B00066MAQA
>
> She has added her special touch to the handles of the Furi knife, making
> them orange; and perhaps they are some sort of plastic or poly, I can't
> tell, but she has her name on the ones she sells.
>
> I am wondering if one should suspect the Rachel Ray brand of Furi knife
> sharpeners as being a little less effective. I don't know how that third
> piece which is now orange could be of use vs. the metal as originally made.
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge or comments about this?
>
> Dee
> With stones, electric sharpener and sharpening steel, and even a 'wheel' in
> the shed.
> I like the 'always at 20º' feature on these Furi sharpeners.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Thanks. Do you mean that Cook's Illustrated rated Furi knives not
recommended, or Furi knife sharpener not recommended, or Furi (period) not
recommended.
Thanks again.
Dee

"Steve B." > wrote in message
t...
> My comments are at http://users.ameritech.net/knives/slot.htm#furi
> Also see the latest Cook's Illustrated, which rated the Furi Not
> Recommended.
>
> Steve
> Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged Tools
> by Steve Bottorff
> www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com
> Remove REMOVE from address when replying
>

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> I looked at the Furi knife sharpener video and it looks very interesting.
>> However, I see now that Rachel Ray has her fingers in the pie and has
>> added her favorite color "orange" to one of the three prongs of the
>> sharpener.
>> http://www.amazon.com/Furi-Rachael-T.../dp/B00066MAQA
>>
>> She has added her special touch to the handles of the Furi knife, making
>> them orange; and perhaps they are some sort of plastic or poly, I can't
>> tell, but she has her name on the ones she sells.
>>
>> I am wondering if one should suspect the Rachel Ray brand of Furi knife
>> sharpeners as being a little less effective. I don't know how that third
>> piece which is now orange could be of use vs. the metal as originally
>> made.
>>
>> Does anyone have any knowledge or comments about this?
>>
>> Dee
>> With stones, electric sharpener and sharpening steel, and even a 'wheel'
>> in the shed.
>> I like the 'always at 20º' feature on these Furi sharpeners.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

The Nov. Dec. issue of Cooks Illustrated reviews knife sharpeners, both
electric and manual. Top 3 electrics are Chef'sChoice, and I agree.

Top manual is the AccuSharp, which I think should be not acceptable for
reasons that CI does not cover - blade profile and bolster control. All
these sharpeners have these problems to greater or lesser degrees, and
only a professional can correct them. The LESS a home sharpener does,
ie 40 or more strokes to sharpen a really dull knife, the less the
problem. Use only 2 or 3 strokes for daily maintenance. See
http://users.ameritech.net/knives/slot.htm.

I have not tested their #2 and #3 choices, but like the CC 460 and the
Spyderco Sharpmaker that placed #4 and #5. The Furi Tech Edge
Professional Sharpening System placed 7th, top of the Not Recommended
category.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve B." > wrote in message
. net...
> The Nov. Dec. issue of Cooks Illustrated reviews knife sharpeners, both
> electric and manual. Top 3 electrics are Chef'sChoice, and I agree.

Thanks again, Steve. I looked in my 'stash' and found that I have an
EdgeCraft, which says 'from the makers of Chef's Choice.' It says, "heavy
duty motor," for whatever that's worth.
http://tinypic.com/44qtmwp.jpg

Here is a picture of what it looks like:
http://tinypic.com/2yzfyvp.jpg

And here it is demonstrated in pictures on the box:
http://tinypic.com/4gt3r10.jpg

This is an old model, I assume, as I only see one example online, and I
bought it many years ago. http://tinyurl.com/yfhakp stating
Professional #110 Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener - Chrome
a.. Incredibly sharp Trizor edge - tip to bolster
a.. 3-stage 100% diamond abrasive sharpener - for edges that stay sharp
longer
a.. Patented Bi-Level magnetic guides for easy, foolproof sharpening
a.. Excellent for kitchen, household, sports and pocket knives

I never have used this. I wouldn't mind using it. But don't know if it's
an OK appliance.
(I even have those little sharpening Frisk scissor sharpeners and don't use
them.)
Any comments about this 'appliance'?
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

It looks just like the CC 110, it must be the earlier model CI rated it
3rd overall, just below the 2 newer CC models. I liked mine.

1. don't fight the guides
2. go easy with the first stage

My reviews: http://users.ameritech.net/knives/el...tm#chefschoice

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Steve B." > wrote in message
> . net...
>> The Nov. Dec. issue of Cooks Illustrated reviews knife sharpeners, both
>> electric and manual. Top 3 electrics are Chef'sChoice, and I agree.
>>

> Thanks again, Steve. I looked in my 'stash' and found that I have an
> EdgeCraft, which says 'from the makers of Chef's Choice.' It says, "heavy
> duty motor," for whatever that's worth.
> http://tinypic.com/44qtmwp.jpg
>
> Here is a picture of what it looks like:
> http://tinypic.com/2yzfyvp.jpg
>
> And here it is demonstrated in pictures on the box:
> http://tinypic.com/4gt3r10.jpg
>
> This is an old model, I assume, as I only see one example online, and I
> bought it many years ago. http://tinyurl.com/yfhakp stating
> Professional #110 Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener - Chrome
> a.. Incredibly sharp Trizor edge - tip to bolster
> a.. 3-stage 100% diamond abrasive sharpener - for edges that stay sharp
> longer
> a.. Patented Bi-Level magnetic guides for easy, foolproof sharpening
> a.. Excellent for kitchen, household, sports and pocket knives
>

> I never have used this. I wouldn't mind using it. But don't know if it's
> an OK appliance.
> (I even have those little sharpening Frisk scissor sharpeners and don't use
> them.)
> Any comments about this 'appliance'?
> Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Thanks much Steve for replying in a simple way for me to understand, as I
realize you have expertise in this field.
I'm going to "read up" and try it out on a few knives that I haven't been
using.
Much appreciated.
Dee

"Steve B." > wrote in message
> It looks just like the CC 110, it must be the earlier model CI rated it
> 3rd overall, just below the 2 newer CC models. I liked mine.
>
> 1. don't fight the guides
> 2. go easy with the first stage
>
> My reviews: http://users.ameritech.net/knives/el...tm#chefschoice
>
> Steve
> Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged Tools
> by Steve Bottorff
> www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com
> Remove REMOVE from address when replying
>

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Steve B." > wrote in message
>> . net...
>>> The Nov. Dec. issue of Cooks Illustrated reviews knife sharpeners, both
>>> electric and manual. Top 3 electrics are Chef'sChoice, and I agree.
>>>

>> Thanks again, Steve. I looked in my 'stash' and found that I have an
>> EdgeCraft, which says 'from the makers of Chef's Choice.' It says, "heavy
>> duty motor," for whatever that's worth.
>> http://tinypic.com/44qtmwp.jpg
>>
>> Here is a picture of what it looks like:
>> http://tinypic.com/2yzfyvp.jpg
>>
>> And here it is demonstrated in pictures on the box:
>> http://tinypic.com/4gt3r10.jpg
>>
>> This is an old model, I assume, as I only see one example online, and I
>> bought it many years ago. http://tinyurl.com/yfhakp stating
>> Professional #110 Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener - Chrome
>> a.. Incredibly sharp Trizor edge - tip to bolster
>> a.. 3-stage 100% diamond abrasive sharpener - for edges that stay sharp
>> longer
>> a.. Patented Bi-Level magnetic guides for easy, foolproof sharpening
>> a.. Excellent for kitchen, household, sports and pocket knives
>>

>> I never have used this. I wouldn't mind using it. But don't know if
>> it's an OK appliance.
>> (I even have those little sharpening Frisk scissor sharpeners and don't
>> use them.)
>> Any comments about this 'appliance'?
>> Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 16:12:13 GMT, Steve B. wrote:
>
>> The Nov. Dec. issue of Cooks Illustrated reviews knife sharpeners, both
>> electric and manual. Top 3 electrics are Chef'sChoice, and I agree.

> I commonly hear complaints about the Chef's Choice (some models
> more than others - supposedly the less expensive one was better,
> IIRC), and several people in RFC have given the Furi pretty high
> regards last month. I even put the Furi on my Christmas Registry
> this year - despite it having a celebrity endorsement.
>
> So now I'm confused.
>
> -sw

I'm most of all confused about that "orange" thingie on the lefthandside of
the sharpener that Furi has added for Rachel.
http://www.furitechnics.com.au/produ...ening_usa.html

I'm sure that many will buy Furi because of Rachel, but perhaps because of
that I may buy a Global bread knife and forget the Furi sharpener and try
sharpening my older knives with my CI older model.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I've used a Furi East West knife for a few years, and recently received
some of the newer Rachel Ray models. I like the knives a lot because
they feel balanced, a good weight, and take and hold a sharp edge. The
sharpening system is ok, if a bit laborious and extremely overpriced.
Better to just get a good sharpening steel and learn to use it.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:58:00 -0500, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>I'm sure that many will buy Furi because of Rachel, but perhaps because of
>that I may buy a Global bread knife and forget the Furi sharpener and try
>sharpening my older knives with my CI older model.

Have you considered other bread knives, Dee? The Global is pretty, but it's
never recommended because of the lack of an offset handle.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:58:00 -0500, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm sure that many will buy Furi because of Rachel, but perhaps because of
>>that I may buy a Global bread knife and forget the Furi sharpener and try
>>sharpening my older knives with my CI older model.

> Have you considered other bread knives, Dee? The Global is pretty, but
> it's
> never recommended because of the lack of an offset handle.
>
> -- Larry

I'm so up in the air about a bread knife. My first choice is an offset.
I've thought also about this one by Daniel Boulud
http://tinyurl.com/yhx6vy

or the same at:
http://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Boulud-...&s=home-garden

I bought an Cuisinart electric knife about a year ago. It is too heavy and
dangerous for me to handle. DH has taken a dislike to it. Also, it smells
to high heaven when it is being usesd -- I had read that, but bought it
anyway.

I am using an awful knife which DH likes and I won't use, and I'm not
satisfied with his 'cuts.' So I'm hoping find something I can handle. My
hands are definitely not strong. I make all kinds of bread, but mostly all
have a definite crust. I rarely buy bread, and we eat a lot of it.

Because of Amazon's special ending tomorrow, I 'was' going to purchase one
today - Global or Boulud -- it would've probably been Global -- I'm glad you
reminded me again of the offset. Please give me one of your recommendation
if you like.
Thanks.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I found my 9" to be small and bought an 10" bread knife. You may prefer
the smaller one, however.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve B." > wrote in message
et...
>I found my 9" to be small and bought an 10" bread knife. You may prefer
>the smaller one, however.
>
> Steve

Yes, the one I have now, a cheap bread knife, has a blade tip to end of
blade is 8.5", and the handle is 5-1/2" more. According to information
on-line, it is a 8" bread knife. It has the number, "8" in the number on
the blade.

However, until looking now, I would have "ASSumed" that it was a 10" knife.
Thanks, Steve.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:49:56 -0500, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>I'm so up in the air about a bread knife. My first choice is an offset.
>I've thought also about this one by Daniel Boulud
>http://tinyurl.com/yhx6vy
>
>or the same at:
>http://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Boulud-...&s=home-garden
>
>I am using an awful knife which DH likes and I won't use, and I'm not
>satisfied with his 'cuts.' So I'm hoping find something I can handle. My
>hands are definitely not strong. I make all kinds of bread, but mostly all
>have a definite crust. I rarely buy bread, and we eat a lot of it.

Ahhh -- so I won't recommend the monster 16" Sabatier with 4" *wide* blade that
I love! 8

Cook's Illustrated has repeatedly chosen this 9" Forschner stamped bread knife
in tests. I have one, and it is very light and maneuverable, very sharp, and the
offset is perfect. It's my wife's weapon of choice for her biweekly bagelfest.
It's not pretty, but it really rips. It's also quite cheap.

Forschner / Victorinox Bread Knife, 9 in Wavy Edge offSet, Black Nylon Handle
Model 40550, $17.24 at Amazon. http://tinyurl.com/yxrlbs

Note that this is not one of the many Victorinox or wavy-bladed models that
looks somewhat like a slicer. They generally don't have the required offset.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:49:56 -0500, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm so up in the air about a bread knife. My first choice is an offset.
>>I've thought also about this one by Daniel Boulud
>>http://tinyurl.com/yhx6vy
>>
>>or the same at:
>>http://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Boulud-...&s=home-garden
>>
>>I am using an awful knife which DH likes and I won't use, and I'm not
>>satisfied with his 'cuts.' So I'm hoping find something I can handle.
>>My
>>hands are definitely not strong. I make all kinds of bread, but mostly
>>all
>>have a definite crust. I rarely buy bread, and we eat a lot of it.

> Ahhh -- so I won't recommend the monster 16" Sabatier with 4" *wide* blade
> that
> I love! 8
>
> Cook's Illustrated has repeatedly chosen this 9" Forschner stamped bread
> knife
> in tests. I have one, and it is very light and maneuverable, very sharp,
> and the
> offset is perfect. It's my wife's weapon of choice for her biweekly
> bagelfest.
> It's not pretty, but it really rips. It's also quite cheap.
>
> Forschner / Victorinox Bread Knife, 9 in Wavy Edge offSet, Black Nylon
> Handle
> Model 40550, $17.24 at Amazon. http://tinyurl.com/yxrlbs
>
> Note that this is not one of the many Victorinox or wavy-bladed models
> that
> looks somewhat like a slicer. They generally don't have the required
> offset.
>
> -- Larry

Thanks, Larry. Since it doesn't fall under the "free shipping," I don't
have to hurry to get it ordered tonight phew! When I see "free shipping," my
eyes glaze over.

But I believe 'it's mine." I'll take the recommendation (but I have the
right to change my mind before my order goes in!) :-))

I couldn't believe when FED-EX delivered the little greenhouse today. I
think that can't be more than 3-4 days for delivery. 55º here today -- could
almost use it. It will set up against the house facing southeast, south &
southwest.

Thanks again.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:58:00 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> I'm most of all confused about that "orange" thingie on the
>> lefthandside of the sharpener that Furi has added for Rachel.

> Looks like some sort of female sexual stimulator meant to be worn
> inside the undergarment. Maybe her new husband just can't 'cut
> the mustard' with his own knife.

<SNORK!!!!>

--
Dave