Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Need suggestions for outdoor barbecue grill

We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
> Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
> of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

In that price range, they are all pretty much the same so buy what is on
sale. Great for hot dogs, not so great for any serious cooking. Chicken
will flare up and burn, burgers will flare up from the dripping fat.

If you can go $500 then you get into the smaller Weber sizes and much better
quality. If you can go $750 and up, we can get serous about outdoor
cooking.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
>>We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
>>Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
>>of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

> In that price range, they are all pretty much the same so buy what is on
> sale. Great for hot dogs, not so great for any serious cooking. Chicken
> will flare up and burn, burgers will flare up from the dripping fat.
>
> If you can go $500 then you get into the smaller Weber sizes and much better
> quality. If you can go $750 and up, we can get serous about outdoor
> cooking.

$400 or so will get you a Weber. You can get a cheaper grill but I can
tell you from experience that you really do get what you pay for.

Years ago, I went through my share of Sunbeams, etc. at the rate of
about one per year with frequent, year round, use in the northern
climate - snow included. They took three hours to assemble but that
might have changed by now.

When I bought my first Weber gas grill I was hesitant to drop that kind
of money on something that used to cost me $100. The Weber took 15
minutes to assemble and lasted about six years. I bought another that I
still have today. While my usage has shifted more to the WSM charcoal
smoker/grill, it doesn't change the fact that the Weber gas grill is
still alive and kicking and ready for quick burgers.

It's simple economics - pay now or pay more later.

Dan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dan Krueger" > wrote in message

> It's simple economics - pay now or pay more later.

More than that. Pay a little more now and have a tool that is much easier to
use and improves the quality of the finished product.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
> Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
> of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

When I was looking for a grill last summer, I searched this newsgroup
and other places and no matter how hard I looked I kept seeing WEBER
come up. Since I did not want to spend $1500 I went and got a Weber
Genesis Silver B last August. I can tell you I could not be more happy
with it. I have been grilling non-stop ever since. (And judging from
the contents on this newsgroup my next thing to try is a WSM or similar
and get into some real BBQ).

Anyway IMHO the grill is worth every penny and although it is a gas
grill what that means is then even with two small kids I still can get
home from work at 6, grill some nice chicken, veggies, steak, or
whatever and still have the kids fed, bathed, and down for the night by 8.

I still have a Weber Kettle grill (like $80) which I use on occasion but
for the Tuesday night meal the gas grill can't be beat, we use it up to
3 or 4 times per week.

Although I have not had to use them Weber customer service is supposedly
exemplary and for the money (I paid 499 at home depot) it sure seems
that this grill will last me a long time.

When I was looking around this grill seems to be the clear winner in
this newsgroup, but there are others too (Vermont Castings and few
others that some people give high ratings) mentioned as well. Anyway as
everyone says you can buy one for 200 and then buy another one for 200
in 3 years or you can spend 499 on a Weber (or one of the others) and
still be using it in 12 years.

One last note, at this price level Weber has the Genesis Silver A model
which is the same as the Silver B but smaller area and it only has 2
burners instead of 3. My cousin has one and it too is a nice grill (I
have used it at parties at her house), I think for the extra $100 the
added flexibility with the other burner and the larger grate area really
is worth it.

Good luck!
Eric
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Eric" > wrote in message
m...
> wrote:
>> We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
>> Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
>> of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

> When I was looking for a grill last summer, I searched this newsgroup and
> other places and no matter how hard I looked I kept seeing WEBER come up.
> Since I did not want to spend $1500 I went and got a Weber Genesis Silver
> B last August. I can tell you I could not be more happy with it. I have
> been grilling non-stop ever since. (And judging from the contents on this
> newsgroup my next thing to try is a WSM or similar and get into some real
> BBQ).
>
> Anyway IMHO the grill is worth every penny and although it is a gas grill
> what that means is then even with two small kids I still can get home from
> work at 6, grill some nice chicken, veggies, steak, or whatever and still
> have the kids fed, bathed, and down for the night by 8.
>
> I still have a Weber Kettle grill (like $80) which I use on occasion but
> for the Tuesday night meal the gas grill can't be beat, we use it up to 3
> or 4 times per week.
>
> Although I have not had to use them Weber customer service is supposedly
> exemplary and for the money (I paid 499 at home depot) it sure seems that
> this grill will last me a long time.
>
> When I was looking around this grill seems to be the clear winner in this
> newsgroup, but there are others too (Vermont Castings and few others that
> some people give high ratings) mentioned as well. Anyway as everyone says
> you can buy one for 200 and then buy another one for 200 in 3 years or you
> can spend 499 on a Weber (or one of the others) and still be using it in
> 12 years.
>
> One last note, at this price level Weber has the Genesis Silver A model
> which is the same as the Silver B but smaller area and it only has 2
> burners instead of 3. My cousin has one and it too is a nice grill (I
> have used it at parties at her house), I think for the extra $100 the
> added flexibility with the other burner and the larger grate area really
> is worth it.
>
> Good luck!
> Eric

I agree wholeheartedly with Eric. The Silver Genesis B is not hot enough to
grill a steak "char-rare" as I like it, but it is good at everything else.
It is especially good for grilling fish. Grilling fish with the charcoal
Weber is difficult; it flakes and falls apart into the coals. The charcoal
kettle works OK with halibut or seabas. As with Eric, I have found their
customer service excellent from the phone to the front door with the
replacement part.
I haven't tried "smoking with gas" with the B leaving one burner on and
using either a smoking box or foil. I would like to hear from anyone who has
done this successfully.
More Good Luck,
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> I haven't tried "smoking with gas" with the B leaving one burner on and
> using either a smoking box or foil. I would like to hear from anyone who has
> done this successfully.
> More Good Luck,
> Kent

I started doing ribs in the Silver B like you indicate. One
burner on and temp around 250-275dF It works ok. Problem is
that after a while you'll get a grease build up in the
bottom of the unit that'll have to be cleaned out. RPITA

I got the WSM that now sits beside my Gen. B and my only
complaint about it is that I didn't get it sooner. Both are
used year round here in upstate NY.

--
Steve
Dumb sign # 27: On a restroom dryer at O'Hare Field in

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Kent wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried "smoking with gas" with the B leaving one burner on
>> and using either a smoking box or foil. I would like to hear from
>> anyone who has done this successfully.
>> More Good Luck,
>> Kent
>>

> I started doing ribs in the Silver B like you indicate. One burner on
> and temp around 250-275dF It works ok. Problem is that after a while
> you'll get a grease build up in the bottom of the unit that'll have to
> be cleaned out. RPITA

I clean mine about twice a year and it takes all of 10 minutes. Remove
the grates, scrape the crap into the pan with a putty knife, and replace
the pan and grates. It doesn't have to been perfectly clean.

Dan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dan Krueger wrote:

>> I started doing ribs in the Silver B like you indicate. One burner on
>> and temp around 250-275dF It works ok. Problem is that after a while
>> you'll get a grease build up in the bottom of the unit that'll have to
>> be cleaned out. RPITA
>>

> I clean mine about twice a year and it takes all of 10 minutes. Remove
> the grates, scrape the crap into the pan with a putty knife, and replace
> the pan and grates. It doesn't have to been perfectly clean.
>
> Dan

I agree, it's not difficult. Just a pita that I didn't want
to continue. The WSM works worlds better anyhow. *No*
comparison in the results from the methods.

--
Steve
Dumb sign # 27: On a restroom dryer at O'Hare Field in
Chicago: Do not activate with wet hands.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Dan Krueger wrote:
>
>>> I started doing ribs in the Silver B like you indicate. One burner on
>>> and temp around 250-275dF It works ok. Problem is that after a while
>>> you'll get a grease build up in the bottom of the unit that'll have
>>> to be cleaned out. RPITA
>>>

>> I clean mine about twice a year and it takes all of 10 minutes.
>> Remove the grates, scrape the crap into the pan with a putty knife,
>> and replace the pan and grates. It doesn't have to been perfectly clean.
>>
>> Dan

> I agree, it's not difficult. Just a pita that I didn't want to continue.
> The WSM works worlds better anyhow. *No* comparison in the results from
> the methods.

I also have both. The gas grill is great for some things...

Dan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> I agree wholeheartedly with Eric. The Silver Genesis B is not hot enough to
> grill a steak "char-rare" as I like it, but it is good at everything else.
> It is especially good for grilling fish. Grilling fish with the charcoal
> Weber is difficult; it flakes and falls apart into the coals. The charcoal
> kettle works OK with halibut or seabas. As with Eric, I have found their
> customer service excellent from the phone to the front door with the
> replacement part.
> I haven't tried "smoking with gas" with the B leaving one burner on and
> using either a smoking box or foil. I would like to hear from anyone who has
> done this successfully.
> More Good Luck,
> Kent

Kent,

I use a foil packet of wood chips (mostly hickory) almost every time I
grill something that takes longer than about 10 min to cook. It works
nicely I think. I used to live in Austin and I have had my share of TX
brisket and smoked sausage, chicken and turkey. So I would be lying if I
said using some wood chips gives you the full-on smoked flavor, but I do
think it adds quite a lot to just plain grilled foods.

In fact just last weekend I brined and then cooked a whole bone-in
turkey breast on the Weber Silver B and it was fantastic. I use a large
foil packet of soaked hickory chips while I did it. I just brined the
turkey breast about 12-14 hours. I heated the grill as high as it could
with the chips on there until they started smoking (took about 20 min to
start smoking, and just so you know they do not smoke that much but only
a little is all you need). Then I turned down the heat rubbed the
turkey with oil and some dry rub and cooked indirect for about 2 or 3
hours at about 350. It came out great and had a mild but nice smoke
flavor to it.

I also have done ribs, pork loin and some other stuff using wood chips
and we have enjoyed them all. Of course it is not like smoking a
brisket for 9 hours but it does add some depth to things done on the grill.

Try it and you'll like it I am sure. BTW as far as I can tell some foil
with a few small holes poked in it is all you need to add smoke flavor,
the smoking boxes just cost money and don't add too much, seems to me.

Thanks all,
Eric
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Eric" > wrote in message
m...
>> I agree wholeheartedly with Eric. The Silver Genesis B is not hot enough
>> to grill a steak "char-rare" as I like it, but it is good at everything
>> else. It is especially good for grilling fish. Grilling fish with the
>> charcoal Weber is difficult; it flakes and falls apart into the coals.
>> The charcoal kettle works OK with halibut or seabas. As with Eric, I
>> have found their customer service excellent from the phone to the front
>> door with the replacement part.
>> I haven't tried "smoking with gas" with the B leaving one burner on and
>> using either a smoking box or foil. I would like to hear from anyone who
>> has done this successfully.
>> More Good Luck,
>> Kent
>>

> Kent,
>
> I use a foil packet of wood chips (mostly hickory) almost every time I
> grill something that takes longer than about 10 min to cook. It works
> nicely I think. I used to live in Austin and I have had my share of TX
> brisket and smoked sausage, chicken and turkey. So I would be lying if I
> said using some wood chips gives you the full-on smoked flavor, but I do
> think it adds quite a lot to just plain grilled foods.
>
> In fact just last weekend I brined and then cooked a whole bone-in turkey
> breast on the Weber Silver B and it was fantastic. I use a large foil
> packet of soaked hickory chips while I did it. I just brined the turkey
> breast about 12-14 hours. I heated the grill as high as it could with the
> chips on there until they started smoking (took about 20 min to start
> smoking, and just so you know they do not smoke that much but only a
> little is all you need). Then I turned down the heat rubbed the turkey
> with oil and some dry rub and cooked indirect for about 2 or 3 hours at
> about 350. It came out great and had a mild but nice smoke flavor to it.
>
> I also have done ribs, pork loin and some other stuff using wood chips and
> we have enjoyed them all. Of course it is not like smoking a brisket for
> 9 hours but it does add some depth to things done on the grill.
>
> Try it and you'll like it I am sure. BTW as far as I can tell some foil
> with a few small holes poked in it is all you need to add smoke flavor,
> the smoking boxes just cost money and don't add too much, seems to me.
>
> Thanks all,
> Eric

Eric, thanks for your reply,
Do you place the foil wrapped wood on the directly heated grate, or
underneath, as some do?
Have you ever tried to "smoke-cook" for a long time at a very low temp., in
the 225-250 range, on the B? There was a post here some time ago where the
"chef"* put the wrapped wood on the direct heating element, and smoked a
long time, 10+/- hours at a very low temp. He even was able to leave some
propane in the tank at the end!
Also, did you cook your turkey breast using the direct burner in back, in
front, or both, leaving the unused middle area for indirect cooking?
Thanks again for your posts,

Kent

*That's who we really think we are. The little woman at the back door is
smiling furtively.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I am sorry that I didn't clarify my request. I am looking for a
gas(propane) grill. I appreciate all the suggestions and will welcome
any additional comments after my clarification. Thanks

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:37:55 GMT, wrote:

>We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
>Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
>of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
says...

wrote:

> >We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
> >Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
> >of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

Weel, you might look at
http://www.weber.com/q/default.aspx .
They start at $199USD from Walmart. I've got a Weber Genisis Gold C that
does my grilling and a Weber Smoky Mountain for barbecue. Plus 10yr old
Weber kettle when I need more grilling room. I like the Webers I've bought.

Well made, good after sale service. I've never used the one above but it
should be good for hot dogs and hamburgers, maybe more.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the Webers and consider
spending more. First I would like to ask some questions and I will
appreciate your replys:
1. What is the best Grill surface? There appear to be several
types of grills. There is the grill that has the iron kettle surface.
There is a grill that has porcelain. That has some appeal but these
grills tend to be flat surfaces rather than the bar type. Also, they
say that you can't use metal brushes or spatulas with them or you will
scratch the surface. Of course there are stainless grills.
2. How many Burners? I have been looking at the 2 & 3 burner
models. Some of the burners run lengthwise and some run from front to
back.
3. Do you need Brickettes? None of the grills I looked at had
brickettes. Is that something you don't need? The last grill I had
had the burners under a rack that held brickettes.

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:37:55 GMT, wrote:

>We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
>Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
>of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
WWW WWW is offline

If you can spend around $350-450, you can't go wrong with one of the Weber
propane grills, either the smaller A model or the Silver B. They cook well,
last a lifetime, and you can get support and parts when you need it. I have
been really happy with the 3-burner Weber with the porcelain cast-iron
grates from Home Depot, which I have had now for about eight years. If you
want to sear a steak,this is the way to go. Avoid uncoated cast iron,
unless you're willing to do the maintenance. Brickettes have pretty much
been replaced by bars and other methods.

You'll sometimes find the Webers on sale/clearance towards the end of the
summer season.

> wrote in message
> Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the Webers and consider
> spending more. First I would like to ask some questions and I will
> appreciate your replys:
> 1. What is the best Grill surface? There appear to be several
> types of grills. There is the grill that has the iron kettle surface.
> There is a grill that has porcelain. That has some appeal but these
> grills tend to be flat surfaces rather than the bar type. Also, they
> say that you can't use metal brushes or spatulas with them or you will
> scratch the surface. Of course there are stainless grills.
> 2. How many Burners? I have been looking at the 2 & 3 burner
> models. Some of the burners run lengthwise and some run from front to
> back.
> 3. Do you need Brickettes? None of the grills I looked at had
> brickettes. Is that something you don't need? The last grill I had
> had the burners under a rack that held brickettes.
>

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:37:55 GMT, wrote:
>
>>We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
>>Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
>>of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in news:q60Vf.337$mu2.284
@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:

> > wrote in message
>> We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
>> Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
>> of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

> In that price range, they are all pretty much the same so buy what is on
> sale. Great for hot dogs, not so great for any serious cooking. Chicken
> will flare up and burn, burgers will flare up from the dripping fat.

For $150-200 you can pick up all sorts of great grills that can handle a
shoulder or two. Froogle "BBQ grill offset" for an idea of what's
available.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent,

I just made a roll of foil with the chips in it and placed it along the
back of the grill on top of the grates. When I lighted the grill I ran
it as hot as possible for about 25-30 min. This heated the chips up
enough to get them smoking. Then I turned off the other two burners
and let the grill heat drop some (about 10 min), then I put the turkey
breast-side down over the front burners with only the back one on high.

I think only one burner is normally enough but it was a windy day so
eventually I needed to turn the front burner back on low to medium to
keep the grill temp up at 350. I had the turkey breast over the middle
unlit burner anyway. After about 1 hour I flipped the turkey breast
over and put a remote roasting thermometer in the the breast. I took
it off at 170 degrees and let it rest about 20 min. Don't forget to
brine! Yum.

I have not tried really low temperatures on the grill with
anything..... yet! But I wonder how low the temps can get. Good luck if
you have any questions let me know!

Eric

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I have a Weber genesis Gold, it does a nice job. It will sear a steak
at about 650 degrees, but sometimes could do better in that area. I
know you don't get the flavor with gas, but it is nice to be able to
throw some steak, or chicken breat on at 6pm after work when everybody
is hungry, I keep a couple of homemade foil smokers in it with mesquite
chips to impart a smoky flavor on foods, I consider this a 90%
solution. I tried the smoking with one burner, it was a disaster, the
genesis is very hard to control at low temps, I was trying to hold 225
for baby back ribs, but was constantly fluxuating between 150 and 300.
It performs much better with all three knobs on high, sometimes I leave
the front burner off and only fire the back two, so I can put burgers
on the back, and hotdogs on the front.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You really need two burners for indirect grilling, giving you heat in the
front and back. You have much better control over temp, and you don't have
to flip the meat back and forth as much.
Kent

> wrote in message
> Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the Webers and consider
> spending more. First I would like to ask some questions and I will
> appreciate your replys:
> 1. What is the best Grill surface? There appear to be several
> types of grills. There is the grill that has the iron kettle surface.
> There is a grill that has porcelain. That has some appeal but these
> grills tend to be flat surfaces rather than the bar type. Also, they
> say that you can't use metal brushes or spatulas with them or you will
> scratch the surface. Of course there are stainless grills.
> 2. How many Burners? I have been looking at the 2 & 3 burner
> models. Some of the burners run lengthwise and some run from front to
> back.
> 3. Do you need Brickettes? None of the grills I looked at had
> brickettes. Is that something you don't need? The last grill I had
> had the burners under a rack that held brickettes.
>

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:37:55 GMT, wrote:
>
>>We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
>>Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
>>of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I meant THREE burners. Sorry about that. Just a bit of the "senescent
synapseal dysfunction syndrome" coming forth. You need be able to have heat
on both sides and nothing in the middle.
Kent

"Kent" > wrote in message
> You really need two burners for indirect grilling, giving you heat in the
> front and back. You have much better control over temp, and you don't have
> to flip the meat back and forth as much.
> Kent
>
> > wrote in message
>> Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the Webers and consider
>> spending more. First I would like to ask some questions and I will
>> appreciate your replys:
>> 1. What is the best Grill surface? There appear to be several
>> types of grills. There is the grill that has the iron kettle surface.
>> There is a grill that has porcelain. That has some appeal but these
>> grills tend to be flat surfaces rather than the bar type. Also, they
>> say that you can't use metal brushes or spatulas with them or you will
>> scratch the surface. Of course there are stainless grills.
>> 2. How many Burners? I have been looking at the 2 & 3 burner
>> models. Some of the burners run lengthwise and some run from front to
>> back.
>> 3. Do you need Brickettes? None of the grills I looked at had
>> brickettes. Is that something you don't need? The last grill I had
>> had the burners under a rack that held brickettes.
>>

>> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:37:55 GMT, wrote:
>>
>>>We have been looking to buy a new outdoor grill. We have looked at
>>>Sears, Lowes and Walmart. Our budget is $200 and there are a number
>>>of options. I just wondered what is the best in that price range.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the Webers and consider
> spending more. First I would like to ask some questions and I will
> appreciate your replys:
> 1. What is the best Grill surface? There appear to be several
> types of grills. There is the grill that has the iron kettle surface.
> There is a grill that has porcelain. That has some appeal but these
> grills tend to be flat surfaces rather than the bar type. Also, they
> say that you can't use metal brushes or spatulas with them or you will
> scratch the surface. Of course there are stainless grills.

On my Weber Silver B I have the porcelain enameled cast iron grates.
they get very hot and retain heat well. You can only get them at home
depot. I have heard form others that the stainless steel ones are good
as well.

> 2. How many Burners? I have been looking at the 2 & 3 burner
> models. Some of the burners run lengthwise and some run from front to
> back.

Seems like the more the better and I would recommend 3 at least. This
gives the most control. Fron to back or lengthwise is determined by the
grill you get. All the Weber Silver ones are lengthwise.

> 3. Do you need Brickettes? None of the grills I looked at had
> brickettes. Is that something you don't need? The last grill I had
> had the burners under a rack that held brickettes.

I think the briquettes on gas grills are a thing of the past. They re
all replaced by bars that run on top of the burners these bars are
supposed to keep flare-ups from happening by directing grease away from
the flames. Works pretty well on my Weber.

Good luck!