FoodBanter.com

-   -   God Made Man, Took One of His Ribs and Made Woman, and Now Man Cooks Ribs on Smoker, w/ Less Than Spectacular Results!! (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/64794-god-made-man-took.html)

[email protected] 09-07-2005 05:21 AM

God Made Man, Took One of His Ribs and Made Woman, and Now Man Cooks Ribs on Smoker, w/ Less Than Spectacular Results!!

Ok- I know I'm not God, but what in the he.. uh, world, happened to my
ribs?- not the one that was used to make my wife- that one came out
"nearly" perfect. I grilled a rack of pork spare ribs, using indirect
heat- the charcoal was on one side of my Char-Griller, and the ribs on
the other side for about 2-3 hours at 300-350 F, and they came out
great. The other day, I smoked a rack of spareribs for about 5-6 hours
at 225-250F, using the SFB, and they came out so-so at best. What am I
doing wrong? Why would ribs turn out better cooked at higher temps and
faster times, than ones cooked lower and slower? Same type of ribs,
same store, and app. the same weight.

Thanks again for your expertise- I appreciate it!

Jim

F.G. Whitfurrows 09-07-2005 05:56 AM

wrote:
> Ok- I know I'm not God, but what in the he.. uh, world, happened to my
> ribs?- not the one that was used to make my wife- that one came out
> "nearly" perfect. I grilled a rack of pork spare ribs, using indirect
> heat- the charcoal was on one side of my Char-Griller, and the ribs on
> the other side for about 2-3 hours at 300-350 F, and they came out
> great. The other day, I smoked a rack of spareribs for about 5-6 hours
> at 225-250F, using the SFB, and they came out so-so at best. What am I
> doing wrong? Why would ribs turn out better cooked at higher temps and
> faster times, than ones cooked lower and slower? Same type of ribs,
> same store, and app. the same weight.

I-unno. I would just keep cookin' em the way they come out great. Throw some
wood on that fire and you should be good to go. I *think* Bugg cooks his
ribs at those kinds of temps, but I might just be drunk.

--
The Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows

--Weddings performed for a nominal fee.
--Beer accepted in lieu of cash payment.

A. Kesteloo 09-07-2005 10:57 AM

maybe not the same pig?

> schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Dave Bugg 09-07-2005 04:16 PM

wrote:

> Why would ribs turn out better cooked at higher temps and
> faster times, than ones cooked lower and slower? Same type of ribs,
> same store, and app. the same weight.

Jim, ribs and brisket don't care what the temp is. The higher temps mean
that you need to be far more vigilant, lest you over-caramelize the meat
prior to the meat being tender. (Over-caramelization sounds SOOOO much
better than burnt)

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Brick 09-07-2005 09:26 PM

On 9-Jul-2005, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > Why would ribs turn out better cooked at higher temps and
> > faster times, than ones cooked lower and slower? Same type of ribs,
> > same store, and app. the same weight.

> Jim, ribs and brisket don't care what the temp is. The higher temps mean
> that you need to be far more vigilant, lest you over-caramelize the meat
> prior to the meat being tender. (Over-caramelization sounds SOOOO much
> better than burnt)
>
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

http://davebbq.com/

I've been there and done that, but I wasn't witty enough to glamorize
the description. My wife had some pretty descriptive words for
them, but I don't care to share such words with the general public. As
for jimngin's complaint, he didn't describe very well just how they were
not up to par. Too dry, too smoky, not smoky enough, to tough, what?
I run my pit at 270° at the dome near the stack. It's 30° to 40° hotter
down by the firebox. Ribs I cooked down around 225° were essentially
comparabto to those I cook at 300° or better. (non of them last very
long).
--
The BrickŪ said that (The only person I have to beat is the person I am
right now. )