Bob

Default Question about salt for brining

In another post I asked about how salty brining would make a turkey.
Someone suggested sacrificing a chicken. I plan on doing this tomorrow
but went to the store to get kosher salt for the brine. All they had
was regular table salt, tender quick (already know this is not right)
and sea salt.

Will the sea salt work? None of the grocery stores in my area carry
other types of salt.

Suggestions?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob" > wrote in message
> In another post I asked about how salty brining would make a turkey.
> Someone suggested sacrificing a chicken. I plan on doing this tomorrow
> but went to the store to get kosher salt for the brine. All they had
> was regular table salt, tender quick (already know this is not right)
> and sea salt.
>
> Will the sea salt work? None of the grocery stores in my area carry
> other types of salt.
>
> Suggestions?

Use what you have. Kosher salt dissolves easier. Diamond brand has not
additives for anti-caking, table salt may or may not be iodized. Once
dissolved in the water, salt is salt.

JL

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> Use what you have. Kosher salt dissolves easier. Diamond brand has not
> additives for anti-caking, table salt may or may not be iodized. Once
> dissolved in the water, salt is salt.

From the Virtual Weber Bullet site...

Table salt and kosher salt do not have the same saltiness in a flavor brine
when measured by volume--but they do when measured by weight.

Table salt weighs about 10 ounces per cup, while kosher salt weighs 5-8
ounces per cup, depending on the brand. If using kosher salt in a brine, you
must use more than a cup to achieve the same salt flavor you would get from
a cup of table salt.

The chart below shows equivalent amounts of table salt and the two most
popular brands of kosher salt.

Ordinary Table Salt 1 cup
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt 2 cups
Morton Kosher Salt 1-1/2 cups

Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt weighs about 5 ounces per cup, making it half as
strong as table salt. Morton Kosher Salt weighs about 7.7 ounces per cup,
making it three-fourths as strong as table salt.

For sea salts and other brands of kosher salt, use a kitchen scale to
measure 10 ounces of salt. That measure will be equivalent to 1 cup of table
salt in terms of its saltiness.

JL

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> Use what you have. Kosher salt dissolves easier. Diamond brand has not
> additives for anti-caking, table salt may or may not be iodized. Once
> dissolved in the water, salt is salt.

From the Virtual Weber Bullet site...

[...]

TFM®

Bob wrote:
> In another post I asked about how salty brining would make a turkey.
> Someone suggested sacrificing a chicken. I plan on doing this tomorrow
> but went to the store to get kosher salt for the brine. All they had
> was regular table salt, tender quick (already know this is not right)
> and sea salt.
>
> Will the sea salt work? None of the grocery stores in my area carry
> other types of salt.
>
> Suggestions?

Any salt will work.

Try a butterball chicken. *******s stole my brine recipe.

TFM®

Bob Hayden

The last 2 THanksgivings I have brined a turkey in kosher salt, water, brown
sugar, maple syrup and spices. After roasting, deep frying, smoking and
countless other methods, I don't think I will ever do a whole Turkey another
way again. Superb flavor and tenderness, and no prevalent saltiness.

Bob in RSM, CA

"Bob" > wrote in message
> In another post I asked about how salty brining would make a turkey.
> Someone suggested sacrificing a chicken. I plan on doing this tomorrow
> but went to the store to get kosher salt for the brine. All they had
> was regular table salt, tender quick (already know this is not right)
> and sea salt.
>
> Will the sea salt work? None of the grocery stores in my area carry
> other types of salt.
>
> Suggestions?

TFM®

Bob Hayden wrote:
> The last 2 THanksgivings I have brined a turkey in kosher salt,
> water, brown sugar, maple syrup and spices. After roasting, deep
> frying, smoking and countless other methods, I don't think I will
> ever do a whole Turkey another way again. Superb flavor and
> tenderness, and no prevalent saltiness.

When I first concocted my brine recipe, I liked food a bit saltier than most
folks.

I've since learned that it's not so much the amount of salt in the brine,
but a combination of time multiplied by the salt factor.

Maybe a cup of salt per gallon of water will do ya if you're gonna brine a
long time. My original recipe called for an outrageous 3 cups per gallon
and a 3 day brine time.

That's a bit extreme to my own tastes now.

Seems to me now that 3 cups to a gallon should be good for a 2 or 3 hour
brine.

TFM®

Bob

>When I first concocted my brine recipe, I liked food a bit saltier than most
>folks.
>
>I've since learned that it's not so much the amount of salt in the brine,
>but a combination of time multiplied by the salt factor.
>
>Maybe a cup of salt per gallon of water will do ya if you're gonna brine a
>long time. My original recipe called for an outrageous 3 cups per gallon
>and a 3 day brine time.
>
>That's a bit extreme to my own tastes now.
>
>Seems to me now that 3 cups to a gallon should be good for a 2 or 3 hour
>brine.
>

>TFM®

I just finished cooking two chickens using your brine recipe.
Unfortunately I did not get the results I was hoping for. The birds
were VERY juicy, pink in color but not bloody. clear fuids coming from
punctures when testing the thigh temp.

I put bacon on the skin during cooking except for about the last 30
minutes. I used mesquite wood in the smoker. I cooked at about 350 for
two hours and the thigh meat was at 180 degrees when I removed them.

I am not sure what it is I do not like. The bacon might be what threw
things off but the chickens were not right. I should have just used
the brine and not the bacon but I really like crispy skin and saw
somewhere that said to put bacon on it.

My biggest fear, too salty was not an issue. It was not salty at all,
just a hint.

I guess I need to try again with brine only.

Bob

Bob

>When I first concocted my brine recipe, I liked food a bit saltier than most
>folks.
>
>I've since learned that it's not so much the amount of salt in the brine,
>but a combination of time multiplied by the salt factor.
>
>Maybe a cup of salt per gallon of water will do ya if you're gonna brine a
>long time. My original recipe called for an outrageous 3 cups per gallon
>and a 3 day brine time.
>
>That's a bit extreme to my own tastes now.
>
>Seems to me now that 3 cups to a gallon should be good for a 2 or 3 hour
>brine.
>

>TFM®

I just finished cooking two chickens using your brine recipe.
Unfortunately I did not get the results I was hoping for. The birds
were VERY juicy, pink in color but not bloody. clear fuids coming from
punctures when testing the thigh temp.

I put bacon on the skin during cooking except for about the last 30
minutes. I used mesquite wood in the smoker. I cooked at about 350 for
two hours and the thigh meat was at 180 degrees when I removed them.

I am not sure what it is I do not like. The bacon might be what threw
things off but the chickens were not right. I should have just used
the brine and not the bacon but I really like crispy skin and saw
somewhere that said to put bacon on it.

My biggest fear, too salty was not an issue. It was not salty at all,
just a hint.

I guess I need to try again with brine only.

Bob

TFM®

Bob wrote:
>> When I first concocted my brine recipe, I liked food a bit saltier
>> than most folks.
>>
>> I've since learned that it's not so much the amount of salt in the
>> brine, but a combination of time multiplied by the salt factor.
>>
>> Maybe a cup of salt per gallon of water will do ya if you're gonna
>> brine a long time. My original recipe called for an outrageous 3
>> cups per gallon and a 3 day brine time.
>>
>> That's a bit extreme to my own tastes now.
>>
>> Seems to me now that 3 cups to a gallon should be good for a 2 or 3
>> hour brine.
>>

>> TFM®
>>

> I just finished cooking two chickens using your brine recipe.
> Unfortunately I did not get the results I was hoping for. The birds
> were VERY juicy, pink in color but not bloody. clear fuids coming from
> punctures when testing the thigh temp.
>
> I put bacon on the skin during cooking except for about the last 30
> minutes. I used mesquite wood in the smoker. I cooked at about 350 for
> two hours and the thigh meat was at 180 degrees when I removed them.
>
> I am not sure what it is I do not like. The bacon might be what threw
> things off but the chickens were not right. I should have just used
> the brine and not the bacon but I really like crispy skin and saw
> somewhere that said to put bacon on it.
>
> My biggest fear, too salty was not an issue. It was not salty at all,
> just a hint.
>

> I guess I need to try again with brine only.
>
> Bob

Just my not so humble opinion, but mesquite and chicken DO NOT mix.

Mesquite's a grilling wood. I can appreciate what it would do to a steak
for about 8 minutes. Smoking anything is just out of the question. Way too
overpowering.

TFM®

Bob

>Just my not so humble opinion, but mesquite and chicken DO NOT mix.
>
>Mesquite's a grilling wood. I can appreciate what it would do to a steak
>for about 8 minutes. Smoking anything is just out of the question. Way too
>overpowering.
>
>TFM®

Maybe that is what is wrong. I thought it was milder than hicory so I
used it. What would be a good chicken (and Turkey) wood to use. That
may make all the difference in the world.

Bob

Bob

>Just my not so humble opinion, but mesquite and chicken DO NOT mix.
>
>Mesquite's a grilling wood. I can appreciate what it would do to a steak
>for about 8 minutes. Smoking anything is just out of the question. Way too
>overpowering.
>
>TFM®

Maybe that is what is wrong. I thought it was milder than hicory so I
used it. What would be a good chicken (and Turkey) wood to use. That
may make all the difference in the world.

Bob

TFM®

Bob wrote:
>> Just my not so humble opinion, but mesquite and chicken DO NOT mix.
>>
>> Mesquite's a grilling wood. I can appreciate what it would do to a
>> steak for about 8 minutes. Smoking anything is just out of the
>> question. Way too overpowering.
>>
>> TFM®
>>

> Maybe that is what is wrong. I thought it was milder than hicory so I
> used it. What would be a good chicken (and Turkey) wood to use. That
> may make all the difference in the world.
>
> Bob

White oak, red oak, ash, cherry, dogwood or any combination of the above.

Easy on the oaks as they're strong. Cherry and Ash are mild. Dogwood just
plain smells good when you're cooking.

Love the ash,
TFM®

TFM®

Bob wrote:
>> Just my not so humble opinion, but mesquite and chicken DO NOT mix.
>>
>> Mesquite's a grilling wood. I can appreciate what it would do to a
>> steak for about 8 minutes. Smoking anything is just out of the
>> question. Way too overpowering.
>>
>> TFM®
>>

> Maybe that is what is wrong. I thought it was milder than hicory so I
> used it. What would be a good chicken (and Turkey) wood to use. That
> may make all the difference in the world.
>
> Bob

White oak, red oak, ash, cherry, dogwood or any combination of the above.

Easy on the oaks as they're strong. Cherry and Ash are mild. Dogwood just
plain smells good when you're cooking.

Love the ash,
TFM®

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 23:26:42 -0500, Bob > wrote:

>What would be a good chicken (and Turkey) wood to use.

Fruitwood (cherry, apple, peach, pear, etc.)

I've also used crabapple and lilac with good results.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 23:26:42 -0500, Bob > wrote:

>What would be a good chicken (and Turkey) wood to use.

Fruitwood (cherry, apple, peach, pear, etc.)

I've also used crabapple and lilac with good results.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kent H.

Kosher salt for brining is a waste of money. Don't use iodized salt. Use
the Kosher salt on the table.
Kent

Bob wrote:

> In another post I asked about how salty brining would make a turkey.
> Someone suggested sacrificing a chicken. I plan on doing this tomorrow
> but went to the store to get kosher salt for the brine. All they had
> was regular table salt, tender quick (already know this is not right)
> and sea salt.
>
> Will the sea salt work? None of the grocery stores in my area carry
> other types of salt.
>
> Suggestions?

Kent H.

Bob wrote:

> In another post I asked about how salty brining would make a turkey.
> Someone suggested sacrificing a chicken. I plan on doing this tomorrow
> but went to the store to get kosher salt for the brine. All they had
> was regular table salt, tender quick (already know this is not right)
> and sea salt.
>
> Will the sea salt work? None of the grocery stores in my area carry
> other types of salt.
>
> Suggestions?

Jon Choate

"Kent H." > wrote in message >...
> Kosher salt for brining is a waste of money. Don't use iodized salt. Use
> the Kosher salt on the table.
> Kent

All they had
> > was regular table salt, tender quick (already know this is not right)
> > and sea salt.
> >
> > Will the sea salt work? None of the grocery stores in my area carry
> > other types of salt.
> >
> > Suggestions?

I always use canning/pickling salt for my brines. It dissolves fast in
cold water, and should not have any chemical additives

You can usually find it with the other salt. If not, it should be with
the canning supplies. If your grocery store does not have it, check
your local hometown hardware store. Since this is the height of
pickling season, it should not be hard to find.

I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a
pepper mill for those who insist on having it on the table. There is
also a box of Rock Salt that I keep beside the I/C freezer, because
there's nothing better on a hot GA afternoon that ole-fashioned
homemade ice cream.

I have never had anything brined come out salty unless it remains in
the brine for more than 72 hours. Let me know how your's comes out.

Jon
Jon Choate

"Kent H." > wrote in message >...
> Kosher salt for brining is a waste of money. Don't use iodized salt. Use
> the Kosher salt on the table.
> Kent

All they had
> > was regular table salt, tender quick (already know this is not right)
> > and sea salt.
> >
> > Will the sea salt work? None of the grocery stores in my area carry
> > other types of salt.
> >
> > Suggestions?

I always use canning/pickling salt for my brines. It dissolves fast in
cold water, and should not have any chemical additives

You can usually find it with the other salt. If not, it should be with
the canning supplies. If your grocery store does not have it, check
your local hometown hardware store. Since this is the height of
pickling season, it should not be hard to find.

I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a
pepper mill for those who insist on having it on the table. There is
also a box of Rock Salt that I keep beside the I/C freezer, because
there's nothing better on a hot GA afternoon that ole-fashioned
homemade ice cream.

I have never had anything brined come out salty unless it remains in
the brine for more than 72 hours. Let me know how your's comes out.

Jon

Dana Myers

Jon Choate wrote:

> I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
> brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a
> pepper mill for those who insist on having it on the table. There is
> also a box of Rock Salt that I keep beside the I/C freezer, because
> there's nothing better on a hot GA afternoon that ole-fashioned
> homemade ice cream.

My pantry is a little simpler - I use two types of salt.
Coarse and fine sea salt. I'm curious if it's really
bad to use sea salt for brining - it's never been a
problem for me. I wouldn't can or pickle in sea
salt, with the extended exposure, though.

Cheers,
Dana
Dana Myers

Jon Choate wrote:

> I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
> brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a
> pepper mill for those who insist on having it on the table. There is
> also a box of Rock Salt that I keep beside the I/C freezer, because
> there's nothing better on a hot GA afternoon that ole-fashioned
> homemade ice cream.

My pantry is a little simpler - I use two types of salt.
Coarse and fine sea salt. I'm curious if it's really
bad to use sea salt for brining - it's never been a
problem for me. I wouldn't can or pickle in sea
salt, with the extended exposure, though.

Cheers,
Dana
Jack Curry

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
m...
> Jon Choate wrote:
>
> > I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
> > brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a
> > pepper mill for those who insist on having it on the table. There is
> > also a box of Rock Salt that I keep beside the I/C freezer, because
> > there's nothing better on a hot GA afternoon that ole-fashioned
> > homemade ice cream.

> My pantry is a little simpler - I use two types of salt.
> Coarse and fine sea salt. I'm curious if it's really
> bad to use sea salt for brining - it's never been a
> problem for me. I wouldn't can or pickle in sea
> salt, with the extended exposure, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Dana,

You can use any kind of salt for brining, though non-iodized salt is my
preference (Kosher, Sea or Pickling). You just have to make allowances for
how much "salt" is in the salt when you're mixing your brine and/or
calculating how long to leave your food in it. Salt is NaCl. The various
types you can buy differ by source/additives/consistency, etc.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
m...
> Jon Choate wrote:
>
> > I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
> > brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a
> > pepper mill for those who insist on having it on the table. There is
> > also a box of Rock Salt that I keep beside the I/C freezer, because
> > there's nothing better on a hot GA afternoon that ole-fashioned
> > homemade ice cream.

> My pantry is a little simpler - I use two types of salt.
> Coarse and fine sea salt. I'm curious if it's really
> bad to use sea salt for brining - it's never been a
> problem for me. I wouldn't can or pickle in sea
> salt, with the extended exposure, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Dana,

You can use any kind of salt for brining, though non-iodized salt is my
preference (Kosher, Sea or Pickling). You just have to make allowances for
how much "salt" is in the salt when you're mixing your brine and/or
calculating how long to leave your food in it. Salt is NaCl. The various
types you can buy differ by source/additives/consistency, etc.

Jack Curry

Dana Myers

Jack Curry wrote:

> Dana,
>
> You can use any kind of salt for brining, though non-iodized salt is my
> preference (Kosher, Sea or Pickling).

I have the same preference. In fact, I generally avoid iodized
salt in my own cooking but I'm sure I get enough iodized salt
elsewhere to avoid goiter.

Thanks -
Dana

Jon Choate

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message >...
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Jon Choate wrote:
> >
> > > I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
> > > brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a

> > My pantry is a little simpler - I use two types of salt.
> > Coarse and fine sea salt. I'm curious if it's really
> > bad to use sea salt for brining - it's never been a

> You can use any kind of salt for brining, though non-iodized salt is my
> preference (Kosher, Sea or Pickling). You just have to make allowances for
> how much "salt" is in the salt when you're mixing your brine and/or
> calculating how long to leave your food in it. Salt is NaCl. The various

About the only salt I would not use is iodized. Using the C/p usually
has to do with a combination of ease and habit. I find it mixes best
in cold to lukewarm water. It is usually the only non-liquid item in
my brines.

The habit part has to do with a little ole lady we grew up near. Our
Scoutmasters wife to be exact. She always kept canning salt in
abundance, and used it in everything. Especially deer meat. She had a
recipe she used when she put up fresh deer meat that made it the best
tasting in the world.

Unfortunately, she has not shared...yet...and all I know is she would
salt the meat, let it sit overnight, then put it in a gallon freezer
bag, cover it with water, and freeze it. She would usually do roasts
in this manner for us, which we would carry home and keep in the
freezer. We would pull them out before a camping trip, let it thaw,
cut it into steaks, and as we were camping we would grill it over an
open fire. Nothing else, just those steaks. With the smoke from the
fire and mild saltiness, it had a flavor similar to country ham, but
with a texture of steak. I have tried repeating this, since I now live
over 150 miles away, but have not had any luck yet.
Jon Choate

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message >...
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Jon Choate wrote:
> >
> > > I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
> > > brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a

> > My pantry is a little simpler - I use two types of salt.
> > Coarse and fine sea salt. I'm curious if it's really
> > bad to use sea salt for brining - it's never been a

> You can use any kind of salt for brining, though non-iodized salt is my
> preference (Kosher, Sea or Pickling). You just have to make allowances for
> how much "salt" is in the salt when you're mixing your brine and/or
> calculating how long to leave your food in it. Salt is NaCl. The various

About the only salt I would not use is iodized. Using the C/p usually
has to do with a combination of ease and habit. I find it mixes best
in cold to lukewarm water. It is usually the only non-liquid item in
my brines.

The habit part has to do with a little ole lady we grew up near. Our
Scoutmasters wife to be exact. She always kept canning salt in
abundance, and used it in everything. Especially deer meat. She had a
recipe she used when she put up fresh deer meat that made it the best
tasting in the world.

Unfortunately, she has not shared...yet...and all I know is she would
salt the meat, let it sit overnight, then put it in a gallon freezer
bag, cover it with water, and freeze it. She would usually do roasts
in this manner for us, which we would carry home and keep in the
freezer. We would pull them out before a camping trip, let it thaw,
cut it into steaks, and as we were camping we would grill it over an
open fire. Nothing else, just those steaks. With the smoke from the
fire and mild saltiness, it had a flavor similar to country ham, but
with a texture of steak. I have tried repeating this, since I now live
over 150 miles away, but have not had any luck yet.

Dana Myers

Jon Choate wrote:

> About the only salt I would not use is iodized. Using the C/p usually
> has to do with a combination of ease and habit. I find it mixes best
> in cold to lukewarm water. It is usually the only non-liquid item in
> my brines.

I too avoid iodized, and I don't brine often enough to use up
more expensive sea salt too rapidly. If I did, I'd get a green
box of C/P salt. Come to think of it, I'll grab one anyway for
this reason.

> The habit part has to do with a little ole lady we grew up near. Our
> Scoutmasters wife to be exact. She always kept canning salt in
> abundance, and used it in everything. Especially deer meat. She had a
> recipe she used when she put up fresh deer meat that made it the best
> tasting in the world.

[...]

> With the smoke from the
> fire and mild saltiness, it had a flavor similar to country ham, but
> with a texture of steak. I have tried repeating this, since I now live
> over 150 miles away, but have not had any luck yet.

You're making me want to experiment with this now ;-)

Thanks -
Dana