TFM®

Default Question about salt for brining

Bob Hayden wrote:
> The last 2 THanksgivings I have brined a turkey in kosher salt,
> water, brown sugar, maple syrup and spices. After roasting, deep
> frying, smoking and countless other methods, I don't think I will
> ever do a whole Turkey another way again. Superb flavor and
> tenderness, and no prevalent saltiness.

When I first concocted my brine recipe, I liked food a bit saltier than most
folks.

I've since learned that it's not so much the amount of salt in the brine,
but a combination of time multiplied by the salt factor.

Maybe a cup of salt per gallon of water will do ya if you're gonna brine a
long time. My original recipe called for an outrageous 3 cups per gallon
and a 3 day brine time.

That's a bit extreme to my own tastes now.

Seems to me now that 3 cups to a gallon should be good for a 2 or 3 hour
brine.

TFM®