tgodiver

Default golden corral restaurant grill

I saw this guy grilling steaks at golden corral restuarant, he kept dipping
this steaks into the brown liquid as he was grilling them. Does anyone know
what the liquid it. I think it was the liquid that gives it a smokey
hickory flavor.

Most places like golden corral, ponderosa, sizzler, and so on buy extremely
cheap cuts of meat. The meat gets marinated in a beef-flavored mixture from
ADM (Archer Daniel Midland, I believe). They are a huge agricultural and
chemical suply firm. they make millions of gallons of this 'marinade'
annually so that when you buy the 3.99 steak dinner you think you got a
great tasting steak. Well, it was great tasting cause they designed it to
taste that way. I'd bet the restaurants keep the stuff on hand to dip in,
as well.

Sort of seems like cooking brisket in the oven and then dipping in a liquid
smoke sauce and calling it BBQ. But then again, youcan feed a whole family
steak dinners at these restaurants for the price of one good certified angus
brisket!
whoami

"tgodiver" > wrote in message
> I saw this guy grilling steaks at golden corral restuarant, he kept

dipping
> this steaks into the brown liquid as he was grilling them. Does anyone

know
> what the liquid it. I think it was the liquid that gives it a smokey
> hickory flavor.

Well as a recent former employee, they shouldn't have been dipping in it in
anything.

BTW My uncle worked in a large meat house and there is very little
difference between the meat in most "steak" houses.

DKM

DesertDad

I agree, I was a produce and seafood purveyor for years and if you get a
chance to look into a good steak house cooler like Ruth's Chris you will see
the amount of care and in store aging that goes on. They have a wall of corn
fed beef that is amazing...

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:33:21 -0500, "whoami" >
> wrote:
>
> >BTW My uncle worked in a large meat house and there is very little
> >difference between the meat in most "steak" houses.

> Golden Corral is not a "steak house" by any means, but yes, I can see
> that all the steaks at Ryans, Golden Corral, POnderosa, and Sirloin
> Stockade are indeed the same lousy quality. When you get into real
> steak houses, there are drastic differences in the meat quality.
>
> You're uncle must have worked in a USDA Select "meat house" - whatever
> that is.
>
> -sw

Cuchulain Libby

"DesertDad" > wrote in message
> I agree, I was a produce and seafood purveyor for years and if you get a
> chance to look into a good steak house cooler like Ruth's Chris you will

see
> the amount of care and in store aging that goes on. They have a wall of

corn
> fed beef that is amazing...

Too bad they don't know how to cook anything. Worst steak and most
overcooked lobster I ever had was at RC.

-Hound

John O

> Too bad they don't know how to cook anything. Worst steak and most
> overcooked lobster I ever had was at RC.

Ouch! I've always had great stuff there. Best steak I have ever eaten was at
the RC in Nashville. Turtle soup on the side. Add a beer and $50 on the
company account. Yum.

John O

Michael

"whoami" > wrote in message

> "tgodiver" > wrote in message
> > I saw this guy grilling steaks at golden corral restuarant, he kept

> dipping
> > this steaks into the brown liquid as he was grilling them. Does anyone

> know
> > what the liquid it. I think it was the liquid that gives it a smokey
> > hickory flavor.
> >

> Well as a recent former employee, they shouldn't have been dipping in it

in
> anything.
>
> BTW My uncle worked in a large meat house and there is very little
> difference between the meat in most "steak" houses.

He must have been the same guy that Chrysler commercial from ten years ago
was about. Couldn't tell the difference between a Mercedes and a Chrysler.

And now one is the other...I still like the one built on the other side of
the pond.

Michael

"John O" > wrote in message
y.com...
> > Too bad they don't know how to cook anything. Worst steak and most
> > overcooked lobster I ever had was at RC.

> Ouch! I've always had great stuff there. Best steak I have ever eaten was

at
> the RC in Nashville. Turtle soup on the side. Add a beer and $50 on the
> company account. Yum.

Next time go to the game restaurant right beside RCs in Nashville. Same
quality stuff as RCs.

Aren't expense accounts wonderful things?

Aria

I just ate at the Ruth's Chris in Beverly Hills. Was by far the best steak
that I had ever eaten. Just melted in the mouth. I am not one to ever rave
about steak, but this was superb. I had only eaten lobster on a couple of
occasions and the lobster was good, but not nearly as good as the steak.
Would go there again in a heartbeat. I agree about the cheap steak houses. I
cook so much better than most of them, that I don't bother. If I can't have
excellant food when I go out, I just stay at home.

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message
.. .

> "DesertDad" > wrote in message
> > I agree, I was a produce and seafood purveyor for years and if you get a
> > chance to look into a good steak house cooler like Ruth's Chris you will

> see
> > the amount of care and in store aging that goes on. They have a wall of

> corn
> > fed beef that is amazing...

> Too bad they don't know how to cook anything. Worst steak and most
> overcooked lobster I ever had was at RC.
>
> -Hound

John O

> Next time go to the game restaurant right beside RCs in Nashville. Same
> quality stuff as RCs.
>
> Aren't expense accounts wonderful things?

Will do. And yes they are. :-) Anybody have similar advice for Orlando?
What's a really good place for a group of seven or eight?

BOB

John O > typed:
>> Next time go to the game restaurant right beside RCs in Nashville. Same
>> quality stuff as RCs.
>>
>> Aren't expense accounts wonderful things?

> Will do. And yes they are. :-) Anybody have similar advice for Orlando?
> What's a really good place for a group of seven or eight?

Bubbaloos Bodacious BBQ.

Which area of Orlando? Bubbaloos has several locations spreadout.

BOB

John O

> Which area of Orlando? Bubbaloos has several locations spreadout.

I'm doing a trade show at OCCC on Int'l Drive.

-John O

BOB

In y.com,
John O > typed:
>> Which area of Orlando? Bubbaloos has several locations spreadout.
>>

> I'm doing a trade show at OCCC on Int'l Drive.
>
> -John O

That's what I was afraid you'd say. <VBG>
I can never *find* the location in that area. I have to have someone drive
me there. ;o)

It's close by, though. It's also close to Universal Studios. Here's the
address:
Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ
5818 Conroy Road
Orlando, FL 32835

It's the best commercial barbecue that I've found, just don't compare it to
anything you make at home.

Also, avoid the BBQ chicken sandwich, it's a breast quarter (bones and all)
smothered with sauce, between two slices of bread.

Everything else on the menu is great.

Have fun, and when you get here, invite me since it's on the expense account
<VBSEG>

BOB

BOB

BOB > typed:
>> John O > typed:
>>> Which area of Orlando? Bubbaloos has several locations spreadout.
>>>

>> I'm doing a trade show at OCCC on Int'l Drive.
>>
>> -John O

> That's what I was afraid you'd say. <VBG>
> I can never *find* the location in that area. I have to have someone drive
> me there. ;o)
>
> It's close by, though. It's also close to Universal Studios. Here's the
> address:
> Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ
> 5818 Conroy Road
> Orlando, FL 32835
>

> It's the best commercial barbecue that I've found, just don't compare it to
> anything you make at home.
>
> Also, avoid the BBQ chicken sandwich, it's a breast quarter (bones and all)
> smothered with sauce, between two slices of bread.
>
> Everything else on the menu is great.
>
> Have fun, and when you get here, invite me since it's on the expense

account
> <VBSEG>
>
> BOB

PS, I sent Dave Bugg (where is he, anyway?) 2 T-shirts from Bubbalou's a
while back, since he was looking for T-shirt ideas.

I even found a website for Bubbalou's:
http://www.bubbalous.com/

BOB

John O

> > That's what I was afraid you'd say. <VBG>
> > I can never *find* the location in that area. I have to have someone

drive
> > me there. ;o)

Cabbie should know where it is. :-)

> I even found a website for Bubbalou's:
> http://www.bubbalous.com/

Excellent, and thanks.

-John O

"John O" > wrote:
> > > []I have to have someone drive me there. ;o)

> Cabbie should know where it is. :-)

I often need a cab to drive me back home. ;~/

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
BOB

John O typed:
>>> That's what I was afraid you'd say. <VBG>
>>> I can never *find* the location in that area. I have to have someone

drive
>>> me there. ;o)

> Cabbie should know where it is. :-)

I'd hope so!

>> I even found a website for Bubbalou's:
>> http://www.bubbalous.com/

> Excellent, and thanks.

Never knew they had a website before. I looked on a receipt to find the
address, and there was the URL at the bottom!

> -John O

Be sure and give a write up after you get home.

BOB

John O

> Be sure and give a write up after you get home.

The reminder is in my PDA now.

John O