Old 02-10-2003, 02:04 PM
MD

Default Question for the Q masters

"cc0112453" wrote in message

sniped.....

Bitter taste means too much hickory. Don't need much hickory, oak, etc. to
get a real nice smokey flavor.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:21 PM
frohe

cc0112453 wrote:
I used the
same amount of coals I had on previous burns but for some reason I
couldn't get the smoker over 220. Probably because it was getting
towards evening and it was beginning to cool down.

Cooler temps outside mean more coals to get the temps you want.

I also found myself tossing on more hickory
chunks than usual.

Not more hickory, more lump. You want the smoke taste to add to the taste
of the meat, not dominate it.

I wanted it to be good and smoky. Four and a
half hours later I pulled the meat out and took a look. It all had a
much darker color than my previous batches, almost burnt looking. I
sliced the little roast up and it seemed a bit tough and slightly on
the rare side. The ribs were also a bit tough. Guess it wasn't hot
enough. I tasted some of the meat and the outside was sort of bitter
tasting. My lips are still burning slightly from it.

Too much hickory.

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Old 03-10-2003, 12:45 AM
BOB

cc0112453 typed:
I guess my luck had to change sooner or later. Everything was tasting so
good. Thought I was on a roll. Tonight I did my usual deal. A couple of
slabs of ribs and a little roast. I used the same amount of coals I had

on
previous burns but for some reason I couldn't get the smoker over 220.
Probably because it was getting towards evening and it was beginning to

cool
down. My previous attempts had been done earlier this summer in the day
time. Then I was able to reach 250 degrees easily. The stove was at
210-220 for most of the time. I think I had it up to 240 for a short

period
of time in the beginning. I also found myself tossing on more hickory
chunks than usual. I wanted it to be good and smoky. Four and a half

hours
later I pulled the meat out and took a look. It all had a much darker

color
than my previous batches, almost burnt looking. I sliced the little roast
up and it seemed a bit tough and slightly on the rare side. The ribs were
also a bit tough. Guess it wasn't hot enough. I tasted some of the meat
and the outside was sort of bitter tasting. My lips are still burning
slightly from it. Is that because the fire wasn't hot enough as well? Is
that what creosote taste like? Looks like its back to the drawing board

for
me. And I was doing so good. Any feed back would be welcome. Remove
NOSPAM to respond.

frohe gave you a pretty good answer.

I'll just add...please check your date and time. It's not December yet, is
it? I musta missed Columbus day, Canadian Thanksgiving, Halloween and
Thanksgiving. '-)

BOB

Old 03-10-2003, 05:42 AM
Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:45:06 -0400, " BOB" wrote:

cc0112453 typed:

I'll just add...please check your date and time. It's not December yet, is
it? I musta missed Columbus day, Canadian Thanksgiving, Halloween and
Thanksgiving. '-)

BOB

You'll just have to cut back on the binge drinking, Bob :0)

Harry

Top Chef Masters Alan General Cooking 1 20-08-2009 08:59 PM
Top Chef - Masters Default User General Cooking 4 01-07-2009 10:34 AM
Masters Lunch Goomba38 General Cooking 7 12-04-2008 03:24 PM
Teach me, Masters Kristen Tea 36 25-01-2007 01:10 PM
Tea masters Melinda Tea 16 03-06-2005 09:22 AM