Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Teach me, Masters

Hi,

I am a green tea lover, and thought I knew a little about it until I
read your posts. I've been drinking it almost daily, especially jasmine
tea, for several years (5, 6?) but have recently eliminated simple
carbs from my diet (sugar, white flour, white rice, etc.) so my daily
tea has become even more of a pleasure. I drink one 24-ounce pot. I can
see some of you would cringe if you saw me prepare it: eyeballing the
quantity, and pouring the water when it "sounds right." But I'm always
very happy with the result, so...

I'm looking forward to doing some searches here for answers to some of
my long-held questions: how much does the caffiene content vary among
types and brands; what are the other caffeine-like substances I've
heard about; what's the recent research on green tea benefits, and so
on.

Happy to be here!
Kristen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hey Kristen,

If anything it sounds like you have it perfectly! Eyeballing the amount
and going by sound/"feel" of the water is exactly how it should be
done. There never will be a thermometer or scale involved in my tea
making. (although I must admit I've used one twice but to check how
close my "feel" for a particular temp really was before brewing a
seriously expensive tea.)

I'm a jasmine green fan as well, and it is still a comfort tea for me
even after all these years and teas. I do find a lot of enjoyment from
dragon pearls/tears which are little rolled balls with two leaves and a
bud and a jasmine petal. Worth a shot as the quality is top notch.

You're doing just fine, stick with it and your feel will get even
better with time. I generally now get within 5 degrees of the water
temp I want by time and feel alone, which is close enough in anyones
book. There is a ton of info in these archives, and while I primarily
enjoy Japanese greens I have started to get more into chinese greens.
Congrats.

Dominic

Kristen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a green tea lover, and thought I knew a little about it until I
> read your posts. I've been drinking it almost daily, especially jasmine
> tea, for several years (5, 6?) but have recently eliminated simple
> carbs from my diet (sugar, white flour, white rice, etc.) so my daily
> tea has become even more of a pleasure. I drink one 24-ounce pot. I can
> see some of you would cringe if you saw me prepare it: eyeballing the
> quantity, and pouring the water when it "sounds right." But I'm always
> very happy with the result, so...
>
> I'm looking forward to doing some searches here for answers to some of
> my long-held questions: how much does the caffiene content vary among
> types and brands; what are the other caffeine-like substances I've
> heard about; what's the recent research on green tea benefits, and so
> on.
>
> Happy to be here!
> Kristen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Kristen > wrote:

>I'm looking forward to doing some searches here for answers to some of
>my long-held questions: how much does the caffiene content vary among
>types and brands;

Outrageously. It can vary a lot from year to year with the same tea,
even. Most of it comes out in the first steep too, since it's very soluble.

>what are the other caffeine-like substances I've
>heard about;

There are all kinds of xanthines in tea that have similar effects to
caffeine, most notably theophylline. They are all more or less in the
same chemical family with caffeine and most folks just wave their hands
and call all of them together "caffeine" even though technically they
are not.

>what's the recent research on green tea benefits, and so
>on.

I have no idea. If it tastes good in your mouth and makes you feel good,
what more benefit do you need?
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> I can
> see some of you would cringe if you saw me prepare it: eyeballing the
> quantity, and pouring the water when it "sounds right." But I'm always
> very happy with the result, so...

I have to agree with Dominc, the way you are brewing is perfect "for
you". Since I am an engineer I am a bit meticulous about understanding
variables. So I did *start* out using thermometers and scales etc, but
that was only until I got a *feel* for what it took to make tea the way
I like it, and how to repeatably brew tea the way I like it. Once I
developed that *feel* I stopped using the instrumentation. Now,
admittedly, I do still use the toys on occasion when I am trying to
tackle a new tea genre, but eventually I get back to the touchy feely
method.

> I'm looking forward to doing some searches here for answers to some of
> my long-held questions: how much does the caffiene content vary among
> types and brands; what are the other caffeine-like substances I've
> heard about; what's the recent research on green tea benefits, and so
> on.

Here is an iteresting link on caffeine in tea:
http://users.argolink.net/purfarms/komchem/teacaff.HTM

And in other beverages/products:
http://www.holymtn.com/tea/caffeine_content.htm

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

If you are always happy with the result - you are way ahead of most of us
here )))))))))))
My advice - buy a simple gongfu set and try more wulongs, both cheap an not
so cheap. The more you try the more your skills will develop and the more
your skills develop the more you will want to try.

Sasha.

"Kristen" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am a green tea lover, and thought I knew a little about it until I
> read your posts. I've been drinking it almost daily, especially jasmine
> tea, for several years (5, 6?) but have recently eliminated simple
> carbs from my diet (sugar, white flour, white rice, etc.) so my daily
> tea has become even more of a pleasure. I drink one 24-ounce pot. I can
> see some of you would cringe if you saw me prepare it: eyeballing the
> quantity, and pouring the water when it "sounds right." But I'm always
> very happy with the result, so...
>
> I'm looking forward to doing some searches here for answers to some of
> my long-held questions: how much does the caffiene content vary among
> types and brands; what are the other caffeine-like substances I've
> heard about; what's the recent research on green tea benefits, and so
> on.
>
> Happy to be here!
> Kristen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I have to admit, this is sort of exciting. I belong to several Yahoo
Groups, and had done a green tea search there a few times over the last
couple of years. There's not much activity. And now here you all are on
Google! It's kind of like walking into a room and discovering everyone
is listening to your favorite music or talking about your favorite
book. I know people who are passionate about coffee and/or beer
brewing, but not tea, and certainly not the lovely green stuff.

I think you're right Dominic. I feel wise when I just "know" the water
is ready. I'll stick with the way I do it.

Jasmine is my tea of choice, but I drink others as well. A Teavana
store opened near me recently, and I bought some gyokuro there. I'm
sure it was over-priced, but it sure is yummy. I have already checked
out some of the vendors I've seen mentioned here, and am very excited
to try some new things. I also love Republic of Tea's Spring Cherry
green tea. I imagine most of you skip flavored teas, but I really enjoy
it. I have a thing for cherry blossoms and japanese culture, too. Can't
really explain it, since I'm not Asian.

I'm surprised to see so many men here; I guess in a tea group I
expected to find a bunch of southern housewives who wear hats and eat
cucumber sandwiches. I guess they're drinking Lipton. And they're
probably not measuring and taking water temperature readings . C'mon,
admit it...some of you probably keep charts, too? I would.

Best,
Kristen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Kristen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have to admit, this is sort of exciting. I belong to several Yahoo
> Groups, and had done a green tea search there a few times over the last
> couple of years. There's not much activity. And now here you all are on
> Google! It's kind of like walking into a room and discovering everyone
> is listening to your favorite music or talking about your favorite
> book. I know people who are passionate about coffee and/or beer
> brewing, but not tea, and certainly not the lovely green stuff.

LOL! Surprise!

> I think you're right Dominic. I feel wise when I just "know" the water
> is ready. I'll stick with the way I do it.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

> I'm surprised to see so many men here; I guess in a tea group I
> expected to find a bunch of southern housewives who wear hats and eat
> cucumber sandwiches. I guess they're drinking Lipton.

I'd think if they're serious, they're brewing with loose leaves and using
those little silver strainers with little silver tongs for sugar lumps. "One
lump or two, dear?"

> And they're
> probably not measuring and taking water temperature readings . C'mon,
> admit it...some of you probably keep charts, too? I would.

Yes, there are so many teas, there's no way I can possibly remember them
all. I keep a tea journal to record tea, vendor, price, brew tests (amount
of tea, water temp, time) to attain the optimal taste for me, and other
applicable comments that vary from "Yuck!" to "Must reorder!" or "Keep as
staple!"

--
~~Bluesea~~

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Kristen wrote:
> I have to admit, this is sort of exciting. I belong to several Yahoo
> Groups, and had done a green tea search there a few times over the last
> couple of years. There's not much activity. And now here you all are on
> Google! It's kind of like walking into a room and discovering everyone
> is listening to your favorite music or talking about your favorite
> book. I know people who are passionate about coffee and/or beer
> brewing, but not tea, and certainly not the lovely green stuff.

Tea coverage here is pretty even keeled, with a strong weighting to
Pu-Erh. I try to toss in some green talk when possible and a few others
do too. The nice thing is that tea is tea, and learning and reading
about so many new and specific teas has really opened up my eyes from
the tunnel vision I had for years. Now, I could care less what tea is
being talked about because it has all become part of my knowledge and
cup. At first I was a bit bummed that green tea (specifically Japanese)
was so seldom touched on, but that has gone away big time. Teas I never
woul dhave even tried outside of coincidence are now some of my most
sought after, like Shui Xian. Black (cooked) Pu-erh has left my radar
but I gave it hell, and uncooked has found a spot in the lineup as a
3rd string... I can appreciate them now though and occasionally crave
on or the other which is way more than if it had not been for this
group.

> I think you're right Dominic. I feel wise when I just "know" the water
> is ready. I'll stick with the way I do it.

Woo-hoo someone thinks I'm right Your new, give it time Seriously
though, it may seem like your going about it wrong or just shooting in
the dark but honestly that is what its about and how you learn. I've
never seen a little old chinese man with a digital scale and
thermometer and bunsen burners brew me a cup of tea, and I'm sure the
ancients didn't either. Scales or specific sized scoops may have been
used, but I'd imagine that is about it.

> Jasmine is my tea of choice, but I drink others as well. A Teavana
> store opened near me recently, and I bought some gyokuro there. I'm
> sure it was over-priced, but it sure is yummy. I have already checked
> out some of the vendors I've seen mentioned here, and am very excited
> to try some new things. I also love Republic of Tea's Spring Cherry
> green tea. I imagine most of you skip flavored teas, but I really enjoy
> it. I have a thing for cherry blossoms and japanese culture, too. Can't
> really explain it, since I'm not Asian.

Go for it! I know it may get looked down upon at times, and alot of the
time deservedly so, but flavored teas have a place. I enjoy the crappy
yellow tin Jasmine tea, and higher end jasmine pearls, and even some
different greens processed with jasmine petals. I like lotus root
flavored greens, I enjoy ginger-peach black tea, and a few others.. but
I never expect them to be something I'm going to sit and contemplate or
hunt for subtle nuances. I enjoy them for what they are. I too was
enamored with Japanese culture, and I kind of got away from some of it
because of the fakenes and ceremony and money/class type stuff, but I
still enjoy a lot of the culture, philosophy, and tea. China's past is
just so much older and rich and detailed that it has kind of stolen
some of the thunder for me.

> I'm surprised to see so many men here; I guess in a tea group I
> expected to find a bunch of southern housewives who wear hats and eat
> cucumber sandwiches. I guess they're drinking Lipton. And they're
> probably not measuring and taking water temperature readings . C'mon,
> admit it...some of you probably keep charts, too? I would.
>
> Best,
> Kristen

Yep, I played hockey for 12 years a pretty solid pugilist and I proudly
display and claim the little Yixing teapots in my home as my own.
Tea is one of those things that really has a masculine side that never
is seen in America or portrayed in many ways, it is every bit as equal
if not morese to wine, food, etc. I actually keep em all in my head, I
have a pretty solid memory but it does fail me at times. I've been
kicking around the idea of a notebook, and I may start.

Have fun, welcome, and enjoy!
Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Kristen" > writes:

> I have to admit, this is sort of exciting. I belong to several Yahoo
> Groups, and had done a green tea search there a few times over the last
> couple of years. There's not much activity. And now here you all are on
> Google!

No, we're on Usenet. Google is what you and many others use to reach
Usenet. This may seem academic, but if Google ever decides to change
its corporate strategy, it could suddenly become salient to you.

Welcome, anyway!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> No, we're on Usenet. Google is what you and many others use to reach
> Usenet. This may seem academic, but if Google ever decides to change
> its corporate strategy, it could suddenly become salient to you.
>
> Welcome, anyway!
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Way to win a new gal over I bet you say that to all the ladies

But yes, to be exact, this is Usenet and Google Groups is just a nice
easy web-based way to access it.

Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Gee, Lew, aren't you a ladies man!

Sasha.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> "Kristen" > writes:
>
>> I have to admit, this is sort of exciting. I belong to several Yahoo
>> Groups, and had done a green tea search there a few times over the last
>> couple of years. There's not much activity. And now here you all are on
>> Google!

> No, we're on Usenet. Google is what you and many others use to reach
> Usenet. This may seem academic, but if Google ever decides to change
> its corporate strategy, it could suddenly become salient to you.
>
> Welcome, anyway!
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:

> Gee, Lew, aren't you a ladies man!

Uh, I love my wife.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

I like lotus root
> flavored greens, I enjoy ginger-peach black tea, and a few others.. but
> I never expect them to be something I'm going to sit and contemplate or
> hunt for subtle nuances.

snip
> Dominic

Lotus root flavored green tea? I thought it was the flowers...I've never
tried a lotus tea though so I have no idea. I've had fresh lotus root but
can't quite fit that taste in with green tea...could you describe this taste
for me Dominic? Interesting...

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

That's too funny; my husband is a Geologist, and I'm in human services,
so I'm quite accustomed to being corrected on matters of the
computer/net. I've actually become quite deficient in that area because
I don't have to pay attention. I'm just glad your comment didn't have
the word "duh" in it .

Kristen

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:
>
> > Gee, Lew, aren't you a ladies man!

> Uh, I love my wife.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Kristen" > wrote in message
> That's too funny; my husband is a Geologist,

Whoa! What is it the brother did to make you capitalize our profession?

Sasha
(oscillating between exploration Geology and mathematical
genetics/immunology)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic 1/18/07

> Lewis Perin wrote:
>> No, we're on Usenet. Google is what you and many others use to reach
>> Usenet. This may seem academic, but if Google ever decides to change
>> its corporate strategy, it could suddenly become salient to you.
>>
>> Welcome, anyway!
>>
>> /Lew
>> ---
>> Lew Perin /

> Way to win a new gal over I bet you say that to all the ladies
>
> But yes, to be exact, this is Usenet and Google Groups is just a nice
> easy web-based way to access it.

By accessing through Usenet, you contribute to
the maintenance of the internet, or our little
corner of it, as commercial free as possible. By
subscribing to Google, you buy into the internet
as the commercial enterprise that the www has
become. Nonetheless, it's often unavoidable.
Rant rant rant. Rave rave rave.

I think Kirsten is a guy. Are you a guy or
a girl? Not that it matters that much. Guys
and girls can enjoy tea equally well in our
modern electronic society, can we not?

I'm drinking Bao Zhong.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Melinda wrote:
> Lotus root flavored green tea? I thought it was the flowers...I've never
> tried a lotus tea though so I have no idea. I've had fresh lotus root but
> can't quite fit that taste in with green tea...could you describe this taste
> for me Dominic? Interesting...
>
> Melinda

Yep, I also enjoy Lotus flower infused greens... I guess lotus root is
a Japanese thing (I actually never even realized it until you
questioned it) Called "Hasucha." Normally it is a powder of dried lotus
root and ginger, but I have had a number of greens with this added in.
Normally it is a sencha or bancha, nothing spectacular teawise but it
is an enjoyable flavored tea.

The claimed medicinal value is lungs, mucus, sinus, respiratory, etc.
that kind of stuff, it makes a good drink when you are sick or stuffy.
My mother goes for solid ginger brewed and distilled down, but I prefer
lotus root/ginger myself as it is a little less harsh.

Now that hard part, describing the taste. (I swear this is not my
strong suit unless I happen to have a cup right in front of me and I
can sip and describe it... Michael likes to get me on this too Lotus
root is kind of a toughie, but I guess the thoughts that come to mind
are Water Chestnut/Artichoke/Jicima. And there is a hint of the same
taste as that of the flower in there too.

I'm sure if you hunt around on google for "lotus root tea" or Hasucha
you'll come across some other info. But it's worth a try if you like to
experiment with new tastes.

Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

My lotus tea from Chinatown taste much like a good quality light roast
TKY. It has a smoother and slightly sweet finish. The dry leaf looks
oolong, and the wet leaf green. Anytime you see scents with tea from
China it's basis is medicinal more than taste. Jasmine soothes the
nerves, lotus clears the head, osmanthus calms the stomach, rose cleans
the blood. I freely add dried flowers and fruits to my tea for the
change of pace not because I'm trying to cure myself of anything.
You'll be surprised at how much is out there when you go looking.

Jim

Melinda wrote:
> "Dominic T." > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> snip
>
> I like lotus root
> > flavored greens, I enjoy ginger-peach black tea, and a few others.. but
> > I never expect them to be something I'm going to sit and contemplate or
> > hunt for subtle nuances.

> snip
> > Dominic
> >

> Lotus root flavored green tea? I thought it was the flowers...I've never
> tried a lotus tea though so I have no idea. I've had fresh lotus root but
> can't quite fit that taste in with green tea...could you describe this taste
> for me Dominic? Interesting...
>
> Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Kristen" > writes:

> That's too funny; my husband is a Geologist, and I'm in human services,
> so I'm quite accustomed to being corrected on matters of the
> computer/net. I've actually become quite deficient in that area because
> I don't have to pay attention. I'm just glad your comment didn't have
> the word "duh" in it .

No, of course not. One of the things I like about RFDT is that it's
one of the places on the Internet where people (still) hope to
encounter information that will change their minds, and where they
don't take corrections as insults. Thanks for confirming that you're,
uh, one of us.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Michael Plant > wrote:

>By accessing through Usenet, you contribute to
>the maintenance of the internet, or our little
>corner of it, as commercial free as possible. By
>subscribing to Google, you buy into the internet
>as the commercial enterprise that the www has
>become. Nonetheless, it's often unavoidable.
>Rant rant rant. Rave rave rave.

Unless you're accessing Usenet over a uucp feed, in which case the
internet isn't involved at all. I don't do that, although I have some
customers on the other end of my pipe who do.

>I think Kirsten is a guy. Are you a guy or
>a girl? Not that it matters that much. Guys
>and girls can enjoy tea equally well in our
>modern electronic society, can we not?

On the Internet, nobody knows... For all you know, I could be a balding
middle aged man. No, wait... I _am_ a balding middle-aged man...
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy wrote:
> My lotus tea from Chinatown taste much like a good quality light roast
> TKY. It has a smoother and slightly sweet finish. The dry leaf looks
> oolong, and the wet leaf green. Anytime you see scents with tea from
> China it's basis is medicinal more than taste. Jasmine soothes the
> nerves, lotus clears the head, osmanthus calms the stomach, rose cleans
> the blood. I freely add dried flowers and fruits to my tea for the
> change of pace not because I'm trying to cure myself of anything.
> You'll be surprised at how much is out there when you go looking.
>
> Jim

That sounds like lotus flower flavored tea, which I like too, but you
should give the Lotus Root tea a shot too, while it is technically
herbal it can be mixed with green tea to a very nice effect. The only
Tazo tea I can stand is the Lotus green tea (flower), and when forced
to go that route it is my choice.

Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Nobody knows you're a... (was: Teach me, Masters)

Michael Plant > writes:

> [...]
> I think Kirsten is a guy. Are you a guy or a girl? Not that it
> matters that much. Guys and girls can enjoy tea equally well in our
> modern electronic society, can we not?

I think Kirsten isn't Karsten.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Scott /19/07

> Michael Plant > wrote:
>>
>> By accessing through Usenet, you contribute to
>> the maintenance of the internet, or our little
>> corner of it, as commercial free as possible. By
>> subscribing to Google, you buy into the internet
>> as the commercial enterprise that the www has
>> become. Nonetheless, it's often unavoidable.
>> Rant rant rant. Rave rave rave.

> Unless you're accessing Usenet over a uucp feed, in which case the
> internet isn't involved at all. I don't do that, although I have some
> customers on the other end of my pipe who do.
>
>> I think Kirsten is a guy. Are you a guy or
>> a girl? Not that it matters that much. Guys
>> and girls can enjoy tea equally well in our
>> modern electronic society, can we not?

> On the Internet, nobody knows... For all you know, I could be a balding
> middle aged man. No, wait... I _am_ a balding middle-aged man...
> --scott

Haha. For all I know, I could be a balding middle-aged man....
Anyway, and more important, her name is Kristen, her e-mail
as it appears is mshausfrau@verizon, and I'm an idiot.
Michael
drinking Bao Zhong, the tea of idiots

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> > On the Internet, nobody knows... For all you know, I could be a balding
> > middle aged man. No, wait... I _am_ a balding middle-aged man...
> > --scottHaha. For all I know, I could be a balding middle-aged man....

> Anyway, and more important, her name is Kristen, her e-mail
> as it appears is mshausfrau@verizon, and I'm an idiot.
> Michael
> drinking Bao Zhong, the tea of idiots- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

It's true: my name is Kristen...not Kristin, Kirsten, Kristie, Krystal,
Kristine, or Frank.

I also am a female, as evidenced by the two small people who burst
forth from my fertile womb to suckle from my bosom and reside in the
lesser bedrooms of my home. Ha! There's something you don't read every
day on the tea Google Group!* Also, I wear dresses sometimes, and
couldn't care less about American Football.

Apparently I sometimes capitalize things for No Reason. Sorry about
that, Sasha. My husband is definitely a sedimentary gEOLOGIST.

I like that Tazo Lotus Tea. Haven't had it in a long time, though. I
like floral/fruity essences sometimes. The jasmine I'm drinking now I
got in bulk at Lancaster central market in PA last time I was there.
It's surprisingly good. I don't know where they get it.

Is there any real reason to use one of those little bamboo wisks? I
just swish the pot and it seems to do the trick. They're cute, though.

*Speaking of usenets, all of this uucp feed/NNTP stuff is making me
sleepy. If I keep calling it the "Tea Google Group" will your heads
explode?

Happy Weekend!

Kristen
a.k.a. Ms. Haus Frau

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Kristen" > writes:

> [...]
> Is there any real reason to use one of those little bamboo wisks? I
> just swish the pot and it seems to do the trick. They're cute, though.

If I understand you correctly, the whisk you're talking about is for
making matcha, the powdered tea used in the Japanese tea ceremony.
It's hard to get the powder suspended in the hot water without one,
but if you're using leaves (not powder) and then separating the leaves
from the liquor, a whisk is useless.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

[snipped humorous, informative bits of personal Kristen data]

> Is there any real reason to use one of those little bamboo wisks? I
> just swish the pot and it seems to do the trick. They're cute, though.

If you mean for mixing and mushing macha, it's not a bad idea.
If you mean for leaf tea, it would do more harm than good I'd
think.

> *Speaking of usenets, all of this uucp feed/NNTP stuff is making me
> sleepy. If I keep calling it the "Tea Google Group" will your heads
> explode?

Implode, due to vacuous attachments.

> Happy Weekend!

Likewise. Happily, there's another one on the way.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Kristen > wrote:
>*Speaking of usenets, all of this uucp feed/NNTP stuff is making me
>sleepy. If I keep calling it the "Tea Google Group" will your heads
>explode?

Yes. It's a Usenet Newsgroup. Google is just one of 70,000 servers
that happens to make it available to their users. Unfortunately they
go out of the way to make it look like it's their own proprietary system,
when in fact they are a miniscule part of it.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Alas, I feel as though the harder I swim in the lake of technology, the
further the shore becomes. Of course, in human services, with my
average skills, I'm a tech whiz. But around all of the science geeks in
my circle, I'm just a spaz who doesn't know a google group from a
usenet. At least that means (a little) something to me now. Thanks,
masters.

So back to tea. I think years of drinking things that were too hot has
damaged my taste buds. I really don't have a very sensitive palate.
With tea, as well as wine, I can taste some of the finer nuances of
flavors, but sometimes, I must admit, the differeces are lost on me.
That being said, I love to try new things, so, if you all were going to
recommend I try one new tea, what would it be? I'm looking for
something delicate and exotic that'll knock my socks off and look
pretty in my antique mikasa cups. To review, my current standards are
all greens: gyokuro, jasmine, and flavored greens. I can't do the
high-caffiene stuff for health reasons, although once in a while is OK.

Kristen

On Jan 22, 2:32 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> Kristen > wrote:
> >*Speaking of usenets, all of this uucp feed/NNTP stuff is making me
> >sleepy. If I keep calling it the "Tea Google Group" will your heads
> >explode?Yes. It's a Usenet Newsgroup. Google is just one of 70,000 servers

> that happens to make it available to their users. Unfortunately they
> go out of the way to make it look like it's their own proprietary system,
> when in fact they are a miniscule part of it.
> --scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Kristen" > writes:

> [...nerdy stuff...]
>
> So back to tea. I think years of drinking things that were too hot has
> damaged my taste buds. I really don't have a very sensitive palate.
> With tea, as well as wine, I can taste some of the finer nuances of
> flavors, but sometimes, I must admit, the differeces are lost on me.

I'm no biologist, but I do try to follow the science that bears on
taste and smell. I think it's fair to say that learning tastes within
a range that you're interested in will give you an effective level of
acuity that's quite good, even if your raw ability isn't impressive.

> That being said, I love to try new things, so, if you all were going to
> recommend I try one new tea, what would it be? I'm looking for
> something delicate and exotic that'll knock my socks off and look
> pretty in my antique mikasa cups. To review, my current standards are
> all greens: gyokuro, jasmine, and flavored greens. I can't do the
> high-caffiene stuff for health reasons, although once in a while is OK.

Sorry, but the idea that greens have less caffeine than teas made by
other manufacturing processes is just folklore. This has been covered
many times before on RFDT.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

OK, so I read the FAQ's. Isn't it safe to to say that while you can't
say from cup to cup how much caffeine you are drinking (no matter the
variety), that _in general_ you are likely to get more caffeine if
you're regularly drinking darjeeling or matcha than if you are drinking
an everyday green? That being said, I think the jasmine tea I drink on
a regular basis packs a pretty good punch. And not just the caffeine,
either. I like to think it's just the jasmine tea "experience." I don't
want to know how much caffeine there is in there because I'd probably
have to stop drinking it.

Kristen

On Jan 24, 11:42 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> "Kristen" > writes:
> > [...nerdy stuff...]

> > So back to tea. I think years of drinking things that were too hot has
> > damaged my taste buds. I really don't have a very sensitive palate.
> > With tea, as well as wine, I can taste some of the finer nuances of
> > flavors, but sometimes, I must admit, the differeces are lost onme.I'm no biologist, but I do try to follow the science that bears on

> taste and smell. I think it's fair to say that learning tastes within
> a range that you're interested in will give you an effective level of
> acuity that's quite good, even if your raw ability isn't impressive.
>
> > That being said, I love to try new things, so, if you all were going to
> > recommend I try one new tea, what would it be? I'm looking for
> > something delicate and exotic that'll knock my socks off and look
> > pretty in my antique mikasa cups. To review, my current standards are
> > all greens: gyokuro, jasmine, and flavored greens. I can't do the
> > high-caffiene stuff for health reasons, although once in a while is OK.Sorry, but the idea that greens have less caffeine than teas made by

> other manufacturing processes is just folklore. This has been covered
> many times before on RFDT.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Kristen" > writes:

> OK, so I read the FAQ's. Isn't it safe to to say that while you can't
> say from cup to cup how much caffeine you are drinking (no matter the
> variety), that _in general_ you are likely to get more caffeine if
> you're regularly drinking darjeeling or matcha than if you are drinking
> an everyday green?

No, I don't think so. There tends to be more caffeine in buds and the
first couple of leaves on a shoot than on the leaves that come in
later, though.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Kristen" > wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

if you all were going to
> recommend I try one new tea, what would it be? I'm looking for
> something delicate and exotic that'll knock my socks off and look
> pretty in my antique mikasa cups. To review, my current standards are
> all greens: gyokuro, jasmine, and flavored greens. I can't do the
> high-caffiene stuff for health reasons, although once in a while is OK.

I don't know about the Mikasa cups , but I'd suggest you try an oolong,
maybe a bai hao or a floral jade oolong (for the latter I'd recommend Hou De
Asian Art, just because I like his oolongs muchly. JMHO). Some oolongs have
wonderful dried apricot or lemon peel nuances that are very nice. I mostly
find the dried fruit thing in oolongs like the bai hao or the other
darker-than-mostly-green oolongs, but they don't have to be super heavily
baked.

Do you have a slight preferance for good scent, or for good taste?

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

OK, here is the deal.
1. If you chop up and EAT equal amounts of black tea and green tea you get
the same caffeine from them.
2 If you BREW black tea you will get almost all of its caffeine in the first
cup and usuallyblack teas is not brewed twice.
3. If you BREW green or oolong multiple times, the same amount of caffeine
will be distributed over several brews in diminishing proportions. Each of
these cups will have LESS caffeine than black tea cup, an each subsequent
cup will have less caffeine than previous one.
So a person who drinks X number of cups of the black tea gets more caffeine
than a person who drinks same amount of cups of the green tea, because: (see
above).

Sasha.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> "Kristen" > writes:
>
>> OK, so I read the FAQ's. Isn't it safe to to say that while you can't
>> say from cup to cup how much caffeine you are drinking (no matter the
>> variety), that _in general_ you are likely to get more caffeine if
>> you're regularly drinking darjeeling or matcha than if you are drinking
>> an everyday green?

> No, I don't think so. There tends to be more caffeine in buds and the
> first couple of leaves on a shoot than on the leaves that come in
> later, though.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

OK, that makes sense. I don't re-brew, but when I want some tea later
in the day I will try the technique of pouring off the first (barely
steeped) brewing to reduce the caffeine. I always limit myself to one
24 ounce pot, and I'm so sad when I pour the last cup.

I have a tea set that my great-grandfather won at the state fair when
my grandmother was a girl, and she has given it to me. It has a sunset
motif. It's really thin, which I like for tea. My everyday pot and cup
are just a standard Blue Willow pattern. It's a British pattern, but my
grandmother had a whole set of dishes in BW and I came to like it. I
guess I'm pretty sentimental when it comes to my grandmothers.

Thanks,
Kristen

Top Chef Masters Alan General Cooking 1 20-08-2009 08:59 PM
Top Chef - Masters Default User General Cooking 4 01-07-2009 10:34 AM
Masters Lunch Goomba38 General Cooking 7 12-04-2008 03:24 PM
Tea masters Melinda Tea 16 03-06-2005 09:22 AM
Question for the Q masters MD Barbecue 3 03-10-2003 05:42 AM