MD

Default Question for the Q masters

"cc0112453" > wrote in message

sniped.....

Bitter taste means too much hickory. Don't need much hickory, oak, etc. to
get a real nice smokey flavor.

frohe

cc0112453 wrote:
> I used the
> same amount of coals I had on previous burns but for some reason I
> couldn't get the smoker over 220. Probably because it was getting
> towards evening and it was beginning to cool down.

Cooler temps outside mean more coals to get the temps you want.

> I also found myself tossing on more hickory
> chunks than usual.

Not more hickory, more lump. You want the smoke taste to add to the taste
of the meat, not dominate it.

I wanted it to be good and smoky. Four and a
> half hours later I pulled the meat out and took a look. It all had a
> much darker color than my previous batches, almost burnt looking. I
> sliced the little roast up and it seemed a bit tough and slightly on
> the rare side. The ribs were also a bit tough. Guess it wasn't hot
> enough. I tasted some of the meat and the outside was sort of bitter
> tasting. My lips are still burning slightly from it.

Too much hickory.

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

BOB

cc0112453 typed:
> I guess my luck had to change sooner or later. Everything was tasting so
> good. Thought I was on a roll. Tonight I did my usual deal. A couple of
> slabs of ribs and a little roast. I used the same amount of coals I had

on
> previous burns but for some reason I couldn't get the smoker over 220.
> Probably because it was getting towards evening and it was beginning to

cool
> down. My previous attempts had been done earlier this summer in the day
> time. Then I was able to reach 250 degrees easily. The stove was at
> 210-220 for most of the time. I think I had it up to 240 for a short

period
> of time in the beginning. I also found myself tossing on more hickory
> chunks than usual. I wanted it to be good and smoky. Four and a half

hours
> later I pulled the meat out and took a look. It all had a much darker

color
> than my previous batches, almost burnt looking. I sliced the little roast
> up and it seemed a bit tough and slightly on the rare side. The ribs were
> also a bit tough. Guess it wasn't hot enough. I tasted some of the meat
> and the outside was sort of bitter tasting. My lips are still burning
> slightly from it. Is that because the fire wasn't hot enough as well? Is
> that what creosote taste like? Looks like its back to the drawing board

for
> me. And I was doing so good. Any feed back would be welcome. Remove
> NOSPAM to respond.

frohe gave you a pretty good answer.

I'll just add...please check your date and time. It's not December yet, is
it? I musta missed Columbus day, Canadian Thanksgiving, Halloween and
Thanksgiving. '-)

BOB

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:45:06 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>cc0112453 typed:

>I'll just add...please check your date and time. It's not December yet, is
>it? I musta missed Columbus day, Canadian Thanksgiving, Halloween and
>Thanksgiving. '-)
>
>BOB

You'll just have to cut back on the binge drinking, Bob :0)

Harry

Top Chef Masters Alan General Cooking 1 20-08-2009 08:59 PM
Top Chef - Masters Default User General Cooking 4 01-07-2009 10:34 AM
Masters Lunch Goomba38 General Cooking 7 12-04-2008 03:24 PM
Teach me, Masters Kristen Tea 36 25-01-2007 01:10 PM
Tea masters Melinda Tea 16 03-06-2005 09:22 AM