Posted to rec.food.cooking, rec.arts.tv

Default Top Chef - Masters

Bravo (US Cable channel) started a variation of the Top Chef show. This
features established chefs competing for charity. It has a different
format initially. It starts with a small group which goes through the
Quick Fire/Elimination Challenge, one of which will move on to compete
further.

Most of the usual hosts are not participating, so no chef Tom or Padma.

The first show had a Quick Fire dessert challenge, with Girl Scouts
judging. Then a three-course dinner prepared in dorm rooms using hot
plate, microwave, and toaster oven.

Kind of gimmicky. The only chef I recognized of the first group was
Hubert Keller. He has a PBS show. I'm pretty sure I spotted Rick
Bayless in previews.

Brian

--
Day 130 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv

On Jun 12, 2:14*pm, "Default User" > wrote:
> Bravo (US Cable channel) started a variation of the Top Chef show. This
> features established chefs competing for charity. It has a different
> format initially. It starts with a small group which goes through the
> Quick Fire/Elimination Challenge, one of which will move on to compete
> further.
>
> Most of the usual hosts are not participating, so no chef Tom or Padma.
>
> The first show had a Quick Fire dessert challenge, with Girl Scouts
> judging. Then a three-course dinner prepared in dorm rooms using hot
> plate, microwave, and toaster oven.
>
> Kind of gimmicky. The only chef I recognized of the first group was
> Hubert Keller. He has a PBS show. I'm pretty sure I spotted Rick
> Bayless in previews.
>
> Brian
>
> --
> Day 130 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

I think there's a thread on rec.food.cooking - I recognized Tim Love
from Texas in the first show, and in the previews, I spotted Bayless
along with Fabio from last season's "Top Chef" - at bravotv.com, Fabio
is preparing the winning Keller dish on a little video - still funny.
("This is how not to get pepper in your face.")

I liked the first show - the pros don't have to be cut-throat and
nasty because they've already made a success out of their careers.
They were good-natured and funny while watching Girl Scouts judge
their desserts ("She's a keeper; the red-head, OUT!")

And I like the format - 4 chefs each week for 6 weeks, with a showdown
of the 6 winners at the end.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:54:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Jun 12, 2:14*pm, "Default User" > wrote:
>> Bravo (US Cable channel) started a variation of the Top Chef show. This
>> features established chefs competing for charity. It has a different
>> format initially. It starts with a small group which goes through the
>> Quick Fire/Elimination Challenge, one of which will move on to compete
>> further.
>>
>> Most of the usual hosts are not participating, so no chef Tom or Padma.
>>
>> The first show had a Quick Fire dessert challenge, with Girl Scouts
>> judging. Then a three-course dinner prepared in dorm rooms using hot
>> plate, microwave, and toaster oven.
>>
>> Kind of gimmicky. The only chef I recognized of the first group was
>> Hubert Keller. He has a PBS show. I'm pretty sure I spotted Rick
>> Bayless in previews.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>> Day 130 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

>I think there's a thread on rec.food.cooking - I recognized Tim Love
>from Texas in the first show, and in the previews, I spotted Bayless
>along with Fabio from last season's "Top Chef" - at bravotv.com, Fabio
>is preparing the winning Keller dish on a little video - still funny.
>("This is how not to get pepper in your face.")
>
>I liked the first show - the pros don't have to be cut-throat and
>nasty because they've already made a success out of their careers.
>They were good-natured and funny while watching Girl Scouts judge
>their desserts ("She's a keeper; the red-head, OUT!")
>
>And I like the format - 4 chefs each week for 6 weeks, with a showdown
>of the 6 winners at the end.

It's an okay change. I'm just happy that it's not a replacement for
the normal season which we will be getting later on this year. I'm not
sure about the host though. She sounds a bit brash but maybe she will
grow on me. I do like the fact that the chefs don't have to be cut
throat since it's all for charity so they all win (in a way.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv

On 12 Jun 2009 19:14:22 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>Bravo (US Cable channel) started a variation of the Top Chef show. This
>features established chefs competing for charity.
>
>Most of the usual hosts are not participating, so no chef Tom or Padma.

The new host irks me -- when she smiles, she looks like she's
sneering.

Plus she's not Padma. ?;^)
--
"My initial thought was, "Who is this Dick Cheeny guy and why should I
give a flying purple goddamn what he thinks?" Do people believe he's
David Rees, Huffington Post, May 21, 2009

Top Chef Masters dream team? Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 2 10-06-2010 08:09 AM
Finale of Top Chef Masters - spoilers Default User General Cooking 34 24-08-2009 05:14 PM
Top Chef Masters Alan General Cooking 1 20-08-2009 08:59 PM
Tea masters Melinda Tea 16 03-06-2005 09:22 AM
Question for the Q masters MD Barbecue 3 03-10-2003 05:42 AM