Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Help with a Pork Butt

I tried searching the archives but nothing came up.

My neighbor has a New Braunfels-type smoker and there is a sale on pork
butt at the local supermarket. We'd like to try one. (She doesn't really
know how to use the smoker and I have an idea from lurking here, but no
experience)

I have a few questions, if you will be so kind as to help us:

Should we use a rub? If yes, how long before smoking should we apply it?

How many hours per pound should it take to smoke the butt?

Do we have to make pulled pork or can it cook a little less time and be
sliced and served?

I have a couple of rub recipes we are considering and she has charcoal
and wood chunks.

How long should we soak the wood chunks?

I know this post seems annoying to those of you who are BBQ experts, but
all of us have to start somewhere and this pork butt is our "somewhere"

I've Googled smoked pork butt and have some good advice, but the *best*
advice is from newsgroups.

TIA for any assistance.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> I tried searching the archives but nothing came up.
>
> My neighbor has a New Braunfels-type smoker and there is a sale on
> pork butt at the local supermarket. We'd like to try one. (She
> doesn't really know how to use the smoker and I have an idea from
> lurking here, but no experience)
>
> I have a few questions, if you will be so kind as to help us:
>
> Should we use a rub? If yes, how long before smoking should we apply
> it?

Not required. I apply rub about 30 minutes prior to going into the pit.

> How many hours per pound should it take to smoke the butt?

You don't go by time, you go by temp. For pulled pork, about 185-190F
internal.

> Do we have to make pulled pork or can it cook a little less time and
> be sliced and served?

No, you don't have to make pulled pork. You can pull the butt to be sliced
any time above 165F.

> I have a couple of rub recipes we are considering and she has charcoal
> and wood chunks.
>
> How long should we soak the wood chunks?

Zero minutes, i.e. you don't soak.

> I know this post seems annoying to those of you who are BBQ experts,
> but all of us have to start somewhere and this pork butt is our
> "somewhere"

Why haven't you read the archives?

> I've Googled smoked pork butt and have some good advice, but the
> *best* advice is from newsgroups.

Same as above.

You should CAREFULLY read the bbq faq:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Dec-2007, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I tried searching the archives but nothing came up.
>
> My neighbor has a New Braunfels-type smoker and there is a sale on pork
> butt at the local supermarket. We'd like to try one. (She doesn't really
> know how to use the smoker and I have an idea from lurking here, but no
> experience)
>
> I have a few questions, if you will be so kind as to help us:

My primary smoker is a New Braunfels Silver Smoker. It is a typical
offset smoker with no vertical cabinet component. It likes to run at
270°F measured near the smoke stack. It takes 6 to 8 hours to cook
a 6 to 8 pound pork butt. It will use 10 to fifteen pounds of fuel to get
there.

> Should we use a rub? If yes, how long before smoking should we apply it?

Rubs are very personal. I personally like a Cajun rub on pork, but I'm
in a minority on that subject. Basic Salt and Pepper is popular and you'
can go wrong. Rub it when you take it out to warm up to room temp
or right up to when you put it in the pit. It doesn't care all that much and
your guests will never know the difference.

> How many hours per pound should it take to smoke the butt?

Butts don't know anything about hours per pound. I've had them get done
in four hours. Just when I thought that was pretty neat, I had one take over
eight hours.

> Do we have to make pulled pork or can it cook a little less time and be
> sliced and served?

You do not have to make pulled pork. You do need to render all of the
collagen in the meat or it's going to be tougher then an old shoe. Ask 12
people what temp to cook it to and you'll get at least six different
numbers.
185°F internal is a good, safe number. It will get you into the tender range
with a good likelyhood of being nice and sliceable. It may or may not be
pullable at that temp. I personally like 185°F, but I must confess that I
most often slip up and let it get well over 190°F before I get it out of the
pit and sometimes even higher. I've never had to throw one out.

> I have a couple of rub recipes we are considering and she has charcoal
> and wood chunks.
>
> How long should we soak the wood chunks?

I never soak wood for smoke. I want clean, crisp wood smoke, not swamp
gas. When I have logs or chunks, I put wood directly on the fire. If I have
to settle for small chunks or chips, I wrap them in foil and punch a few
holes
in it. I then put that directly on the fire. You only need smoke for the
first
couple of hours anyway.

> I know this post seems annoying to those of you who are BBQ experts, but
> all of us have to start somewhere and this pork butt is our "somewhere"

That's going to be an expensive pork butt unless you take advantage of the
room in that pit to cook some other stuff. Chickens are cheap and always
good. Don't get cute. Wash them good. Dry them as much as you can.
Rub them with simple S&P or Old Bay Seasoning if you have a mind to.
I tie the wings and legs close to the body to help even cooking. The birds
take only about 1-1/2 to 2 hours to reach 165 in the breast and thighs. I
cook them backside down for the simple reason that I don't want the
breast to stick to the grill and get damaged. It works for me. The birds
don't seem to care at all.

> I've Googled smoked pork butt and have some good advice, but the *best*
> advice is from newsgroups.
>
> TIA for any assistance.

If you happen to have a 2 or 3 pound chuck roast lying around, stud it
good with garlic slivers and salt and pepper and put that in there too.
It needs to reach the same temperature as the butt, but will likely get
there earlier since it is much smaller.

Your biggest problem is going to be leaving the door closed. The
need to open that cook chamber and peek is a disease that sometimes
takes years to cure. Be advised that not even a chicken is going to get
done in under an hour. Ribs will never get done under three hours and
butts will never get done under five hours. They will all invariably take
much longer then that.

Avoid the desire to play with your food. It's trying to rest and get
happy. Being forced to play will only make it tired and grumpy.

The New Braunfels offsets are notorious for being much hotter near
the firebox then at the other end (Surprise). Stage butts and briskets
near the firebox, ribs in the middle and birds at the far end (If the
pit is full).

Midway in the cook (4 hours for butts) iit is reasonable to turn the
meat 180° to even out the cooking, but do not change their relative
position in the pit. I never turn food over. Use too many variables
and you'll never learn how your pit operates. You're sure not
going to become a pitmaster on the first go-around.

> --
> Janet Wilder

Everybody that responds to your post is likely to tell you something
different. The hell of it is, they make good 'Q' too. We do what
works for us. I can't speak for everrybody, but it took me a couple
of years before I could gaurantee good 'Q' everytime I fire up the
pit. The New Braunfels offsets can drive a perfectly sober person
to strong drink, but they hold a lot at one time and they make
great 'Q'.

All bets are off if you're using a New Braunfels knockoff made
by Charbroil.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

<snipped for brevity>
> Everybody that responds to your post is likely to tell you something
> different. The hell of it is, they make good 'Q' too. We do what
> works for us. I can't speak for everrybody, but it took me a couple
> of years before I could gaurantee good 'Q' everytime I fire up the
> pit. The New Braunfels offsets can drive a perfectly sober person
> to strong drink, but they hold a lot at one time and they make
> great 'Q'.
>
> All bets are off if you're using a New Braunfels knockoff made
> by Charbroil.

Thanks so very, very much for the tutorial. I printed it off.
Really appreciate your time and effort.
Janet
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Why haven't you read the archives?

Your link was the first time I've seen a reference to archives. I was
trying to do a search on the term using my newsreader. Nothing came up.
I guess it's because everything was archived elsewhere. <g>

>> I've Googled smoked pork butt and have some good advice, but the
>> *best* advice is from newsgroups.

> Same as above.
>
> You should CAREFULLY read the bbq faq:
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Thanks for the link. It's bookmarked. I'm a Master Cook user and I'm
going to do a bunch of downloading.

Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>

>> Why haven't you read the archives?

> Your link was the first time I've seen a reference to archives.

The archive is Google Groups. Most newbs think GG is a newsreader, which it
isn't. It is an archive that allows access to a newsserver.Go to google
groups .. alt.food.barbecue. Enter the search that you are looking for. It
will bring up all past threads relating to the topic you're searching for.
It used to be called Deja News.

> I was
> trying to do a search on the term using my newsreader. Nothing came
> up. I guess it's because everything was archived elsewhere. <g>

Really? I entered 'bbq pork butt' into google and got 43,400 hits. The first
hit on the list was http://www.bbqdan.com/smoking/butt_basic1.html I don't
vouch for the information --- 'cause I didn't do much more than glance at
it -- but it is an example of what came up.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>
>>> Why haven't you read the archives?

>> Your link was the first time I've seen a reference to archives.

> The archive is Google Groups. Most newbs think GG is a newsreader, which it
> isn't. It is an archive that allows access to a newsserver.Go to google
> groups .. alt.food.barbecue. Enter the search that you are looking for. It
> will bring up all past threads relating to the topic you're searching for.
> It used to be called Deja News.

Well, I'm not a newbie and I use a real live newsreader and news
service. Have been on Usenet since 1995. On other groups, my
newsreader's search feature works just fine. Didn't even think of going
to Google Groups (and yes I know it replaced Deja News) because I don't
read newsgroups on Google.

I'm ever so sorry I bothered you. Please forgive me for posting on your
hallowed space.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Janet Wilder wrote:
> >> Dave Bugg wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]

> I'm ever so sorry I bothered you. Please forgive me for posting on your
> hallowed space.

WTF you talkin' bout, JW? Seemed to me ev'body was tryin' ta be he'pful.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:

>> I'm ever so sorry I bothered you. Please forgive me for posting on your
>> hallowed space.

> WTF you talkin' bout, JW? Seemed to me ev'body was tryin' ta be he'pful.

I was responding to the gentleman who helped with a large dose of
disdain. I did thank both posters who responded for their assistance.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >> I'm ever so sorry I bothered you. Please forgive me for posting on
> >> your hallowed space.

> > WTF you talkin' bout, JW? Seemed to me ev'body was tryin' ta be
> > he'pful.
> >

> I was responding to the gentleman who helped with a large dose of
> disdain. I did thank both posters who responded for their assistance.

OK. I hadn't been following the thread closely, so, as snipped, it seemed
generic to me. No problemo.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Dec-2007, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:29:24 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
> >Nick Cramer wrote:

<snip>

> Good luck with the NBBD--

I somehow missed the post where Janet identified the smoker
as a New Braunfels Black Diamond.

> I gather that offsets are a bit more
> challenging than bullets,

To say that the Black Diamond is a little more challenging then a
bullet smoker is like saying that running the Daytona 500 is a little
bit more challenging then driving to work in the morning.

> but you do have the balancing of pork butt
> being probably the easiest bbq cut to get right, and hardest to ruin.
> (though I managed it once--but far from my first time)

True about the forgiveness of the pork butt, but I wouldn't even
think about cooking a pork butt all by itself in a NBBD. I don't
mean that you can't do it because you certainly can. But, the
NBBD has something over 700 Sq in of cooking area. You can
easily cook for a whole firehouse in one load with an NBBD.

> --
> -denny-

I think the OP actually referred to the smoker as a New
Braunfels type without a specific reference to which model.
But the fact remains, a single butt in any similar sized offset
smoker is wasteful.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 19, 7:13 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> I tried searching the archives but nothing came up.
>
> My neighbor has a New Braunfels-type smoker and there is a sale on pork
> butt at the local supermarket. We'd like to try one. (She doesn't really
> know how to use the smoker and I have an idea from lurking here, but no
> experience)

All BBQ is cooked at 220 - 250* until tender; plan on 1 - 1 1/2 hrs
per lb, but every pig/cow is different.

> I have a few questions, if you will be so kind as to help us:
>
> Should we use a rub? If yes, how long before smoking should we apply it?

Try different stuff; see what you like. I like a mustard slather (a
thin later of cheap yellow mustard brushed all over) with the rub
sprinkled on to that, shortly before cooking. If you use nothing but
salt and pepper, you'll be fine (although I do like a thin dressing
based on cider vinegar after the meat has been pulled).

> How many hours per pound should it take to smoke the butt?

Estimate 1 - 1.5 hrs/lb, but check tenderness. at a temp of 190*
internal, teh meat will pull and most of teh fat will have been
rendered without drying out the meat.

> Do we have to make pulled pork or can it cook a little less time and be
> sliced and served?

Slice any time after you reach a safe temp. It will be very greasy,
though, because the fat hasn't rendered.

> I have a couple of rub recipes we are considering and she has charcoal
> and wood chunks.
>
> How long should we soak the wood chunks?

I think it depends on the pit. I used wrap mine, dry, in foil to keep
them from burning up right away. Not more than 30-45 minutes if you
do soak.

> I know this post seems annoying to those of you who are BBQ experts, but
> all of us have to start somewhere and this pork butt is our "somewhere"
>
> I've Googled smoked pork butt and have some good advice, but the *best*
> advice is from newsgroups.
>
> TIA for any assistance.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Louis Cohen wrote:
> On Dec 19, 7:13 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> I tried searching the archives but nothing came up.
>>
>> My neighbor has a New Braunfels-type smoker and there is a sale on pork
>> butt at the local supermarket. We'd like to try one. (She doesn't really
>> know how to use the smoker and I have an idea from lurking here, but no
>> experience)

> All BBQ is cooked at 220 - 250* until tender; plan on 1 - 1 1/2 hrs
> per lb, but every pig/cow is different.
>
>> I have a few questions, if you will be so kind as to help us:
>>
>> Should we use a rub? If yes, how long before smoking should we apply it?

> Try different stuff; see what you like. I like a mustard slather (a
> thin later of cheap yellow mustard brushed all over) with the rub
> sprinkled on to that, shortly before cooking. If you use nothing but
> salt and pepper, you'll be fine (although I do like a thin dressing
> based on cider vinegar after the meat has been pulled).
>
>> How many hours per pound should it take to smoke the butt?

> Estimate 1 - 1.5 hrs/lb, but check tenderness. at a temp of 190*
> internal, teh meat will pull and most of teh fat will have been
> rendered without drying out the meat.
>> Do we have to make pulled pork or can it cook a little less time and be
>> sliced and served?

> Slice any time after you reach a safe temp. It will be very greasy,
> though, because the fat hasn't rendered.
>
>> I have a couple of rub recipes we are considering and she has charcoal
>> and wood chunks.
>>
>> How long should we soak the wood chunks?

> I think it depends on the pit. I used wrap mine, dry, in foil to keep
> them from burning up right away. Not more than 30-45 minutes if you
> do soak.

Thanks for all of your helpful answers, Louis.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I thank one and all for the valuable assistance. We have decided not to
do the pork butt as neighbor doesn't want to "babysit" a piece of meat
for that long.

I'd really like to try a brisket, but I understand the logic in doing a
pork butt first to learn just how the smoker works.

I smoke things on a (horrors) gas grill over indirect heat using soaked
chips in a cast iron smoker box. I'm seriously thinking of "liberating"
that smoker from her one of these days ,vbg>
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:44:58 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>

>>> Why haven't you read the archives?

>> Your link was the first time I've seen a reference to archives.

>The archive is Google Groups. Most newbs think GG is a newsreader, which it
>isn't. It is an archive that allows access to a newsserver.Go to google
>groups .. alt.food.barbecue. Enter the search that you are looking for. It
>will bring up all past threads relating to the topic you're searching for.
>It used to be called Deja News.
>
>> I was
>> trying to do a search on the term using my newsreader. Nothing came
>> up. I guess it's because everything was archived elsewhere. <g>

>Really? I entered 'bbq pork butt' into google and got 43,400 hits. The first
>hit on the list was http://www.bbqdan.com/smoking/butt_basic1.html I don't
>vouch for the information --- 'cause I didn't do much more than glance at
>it -- but it is an example of what came up.

Some people come to newsgroups and ask a question to get a personal
response. If your so damn lazy to answer her, don't bother answering
her at all. What a lazy wingnut.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21 Dec 2007 02:49:58 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:

>> I'm ever so sorry I bothered you. Please forgive me for posting on your
>> hallowed space.

>WTF you talkin' bout, JW? Seemed to me ev'body was tryin' ta be he'pful.

WTF Nick, Dave was being the typical smartass know it all that he is
known for. Its in the archives, why would she come here and ask?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I smoke things on a (horrors) gas grill over indirect heat using soaked
> chips in a cast iron smoker box. I'm seriously thinking of "liberating"
> that smoker from her one of these days ,vbg>

Hi Janet,

As previously mentioned, I think you'll be much more pleased if you wrap
dry chips in a foil packet with a couple of holes poked in it, rather than
soaking them.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Janet Wilder says...

>I was responding to the gentleman who helped with a large dose of
>disdain. I did thank both posters who responded for their assistance.

Janet:

As you can see, this newsgroup can be as tough as rec.outdoors.rv-travel. At
least the "Crumudgeon of Sill Hill" hasn't found it yet.

Hope you and Barry have a great Christmas!

I'd never get away with this quote in my sig over there.

Mark
"I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 19, 10:13 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> I tried searching the archives but nothing came up.
>
> My neighbor has a New Braunfels-type smoker and there is a sale on pork
> butt at the local supermarket. We'd like to try one. (She doesn't really
> know how to use the smoker and I have an idea from lurking here, but no
> experience)
>
> I have a few questions, if you will be so kind as to help us:
>
> Should we use a rub? If yes, how long before smoking should we apply it?

I never use a rub. Do your deed without one and you'll see why.

> How many hours per pound should it take to smoke the butt?

Depends upon the temp. I go by feel and low heat.

> Do we have to make pulled pork or can it cook a little less time and be
> sliced and served?

You can slice it whenever you want. Experience is everything.

> I have a couple of rub recipes we are considering and she has charcoal
> and wood chunks.
>
> How long should we soak the wood chunks?
>
> I know this post seems annoying to those of you who are BBQ experts, but
> all of us have to start somewhere and this pork butt is our "somewhere"
>
> I've Googled smoked pork butt and have some good advice, but the *best*
> advice is from newsgroups.
>
> TIA for any assistance.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> I smoke things on a (horrors) gas grill over indirect heat using soaked
>> chips in a cast iron smoker box. I'm seriously thinking of "liberating"
>> that smoker from her one of these days ,vbg>

> Hi Janet,
>
> As previously mentioned, I think you'll be much more pleased if you wrap
> dry chips in a foil packet with a couple of holes poked in it, rather than
> soaking them.

I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas
grill even wrapped in foil.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mark Filice wrote:
> In article >, Janet Wilder says...
>> I was responding to the gentleman who helped with a large dose of
>> disdain. I did thank both posters who responded for their assistance.
>>

> Janet:
>
> As you can see, this newsgroup can be as tough as rec.outdoors.rv-travel. At
> least the "Crumudgeon of Sill Hill" hasn't found it yet.
>
> Hope you and Barry have a great Christmas!
>
> I'd never get away with this quote in my sig over there.
>
> Mark
> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself"

LOL!

Thanks Mark. I wish you and yours the same.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Mark Filice wrote:
> In article >, Janet Wilder
> says...
>>
>> I was responding to the gentleman who helped with a large dose of
>> disdain. I did thank both posters who responded for their assistance.
>>

> Janet:
>
> As you can see, this newsgroup can be as tough as
> rec.outdoors.rv-travel. At least the "Crumudgeon of Sill Hill" hasn't
> found it yet.

Ahhh... I *thought* the name Janet Wilder looked familar... TTN/NACO member?

--Brett
TTN-Flames owner

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> What I'd say to Janet about temperature (and I've seen this advice
> given by several knowledgeable afb folks) is--get to know your pit;
> run it at the temp *it* wants to run at.

Great advice, Denny. That's one reason that I want to kidnap that smoker
and play with it over here where I can watch how it operates. My
neighbor is 1/4 mile away and a long walk to frequently check the
temperature of the smoker <g>

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Janet Wilder wrote:

> Nick Cramer wrote:
>
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> I smoke things on a (horrors) gas grill over indirect heat using soaked
>>> chips in a cast iron smoker box. I'm seriously thinking of "liberating"
>>> that smoker from her one of these days ,vbg>

>> Hi Janet,
>>
>> As previously mentioned, I think you'll be much more pleased if you wrap
>> dry chips in a foil packet with a couple of holes poked in it, rather
>> than
>> soaking them.
>>

> I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
> think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas
> grill even wrapped in foil.

Instead of chips, wrap chunks tightly in foil and position them where
the heat is just right. They don't catch fire and they last longer.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote:
> Mark Filice wrote:
> > In article >, Janet Wilder
> > []

> Ahhh... I *thought* the name Janet Wilder looked familar... TTN/NACO
> member?

I know Janet Wilder from another NG or two.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
> think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas grill
> even wrapped in foil.

Why don't you believe us when we suggest that? Don't you think we've done
it many times?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Dec-2007, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:32:04 -0800 (PST), Louis Cohen
> > wrote:
>
> Generally all-round good reply, but...
>
> >All BBQ is cooked at 220 - 250* until tender; plan on 1 - 1 1/2 hrs
> >per lb, but every pig/cow is different.

> Well...
> Big Jim Whitten has often stated that he does his Q at about 350--and
> he's known to be one of the best (and a pro). IIRC, Brick says his
> pit likes to run at about 275--and nobody's complained yet about his
> Q.
>
> *Most* cook in the 225-250 range, but by no means all do. And almost
> every pitmaster has temperature spikes of as much as 100 degrees, at
> least some of the time.
>
> What I'd say to Janet about temperature (and I've seen this advice
> given by several knowledgeable afb folks) is--get to know your pit;
> run it at the temp *it* wants to run at.
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
> --
> -denny-

What Denny said and then I'll add to it. My pit does in fact cruise
along nicely at 270°F give or take a few. What Denny said about
spikes is very true, but I have fairly well subdued that tendency in
my pit. Trying to run my pit cooler or hotter becomes work. I can
build a smaller fire and mess with it every 30 mins to an hour. Or
I can open the draft a bit and chase the temperature all over the
map. I didn't choose 270°, my pit did. Once I conceded the point,
life became a great deal easier. I run it that way because I'm lazy,
and I get good results anyway. Some fairly outspoken folks have
sampled my 'Q' and noted that "it would do". Given who they are,
that's about the highest compliment I could expect.

I've eaten Big Jim's 'Q' a few times. He's cooked outdoors so
many times with such a variety of equipment, that he makes it
look more like a rehearsal then a serious effort. There's always
some other serious 'Q' people around when Jim throws out an
invite, so extra hands that don't need over the shoulder guidance
are readily available. Given that BJ cooks with gas as a
preference, I guess he could run about any temperature that
he wants. I'd also guess that he runs with what works. That's
just the way it is.

And that's why folks, when you ask how long will it take?
or what temperature should I cook at? You're going to
get answers spread all over the map. It's not because
people are guessing. It's because they answer in terms of
what works and is convenient for them.

Bottom line; learn your equipment. Start with temp
control and don't mess with other stuff until you know
how you can make your cooker run the way you want
it to or until you can help it run the way it wants to. Only
then are you ready to mess with rubs and brines and all
that other stuff.

That's my 2¢.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I'm ever so sorry I bothered you. Please forgive me for posting on
> your hallowed space.

What's got yer knickers in a knot? Where did you come up with the rationale
for that bit of PMS?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>> I'm ever so sorry I bothered you. Please forgive me for posting on
>>> your hallowed space.

>> WTF you talkin' bout, JW? Seemed to me ev'body was tryin' ta be
>> he'pful.

> I was responding to the gentleman who helped with a large dose of
> disdain. I did thank both posters who responded for their assistance.

Yeah? Well apparently you overlooked the big dose of information and help
that *I* offered you. Believe me, it won't happen again.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dick York wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:44:58 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Your link was the first time I've seen a reference to archives.

>> The archive is Google Groups. Most newbs think GG is a newsreader,
>> which it isn't. It is an archive that allows access to a
>> newsserver.Go to google groups .. alt.food.barbecue. Enter the
>> search that you are looking for. It will bring up all past threads
>> relating to the topic you're searching for. It used to be called
>> Deja News.
>>
>>> I was
>>> trying to do a search on the term using my newsreader. Nothing came
>>> up. I guess it's because everything was archived elsewhere. <g>

>> Really? I entered 'bbq pork butt' into google and got 43,400 hits.
>> The first hit on the list was
>> http://www.bbqdan.com/smoking/butt_basic1.html I don't vouch for
>> the information --- 'cause I didn't do much more than glance at it
>> -- but it is an example of what came up.

> Some people come to newsgroups and ask a question to get a personal
> response. If your so damn lazy to answer her, don't bother answering
> her at all. What a lazy wingnut.

Hey, ****ant, I did answer her and gave her a big chunk of advice. So ****
off.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
> > Nick Cramer wrote:

> Yeah? Well apparently you overlooked the big dose of information and help
> that *I* offered you. Believe me, it won't happen again.

Goddamn it, Dave, et al. She's a newbie here and to Q. She's trying to
learn. Cut her a little slack, OK?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 22, 12:12 am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> > Janet Wilder wrote:

> > Yeah? Well apparently you overlooked the big dose of information and help
> > that *I* offered you. Believe me, it won't happen again.

> Goddamn it, Dave, et al. She's a newbie here and to Q. She's trying to
> learn. Cut her a little slack, OK?

Cut her a little slack??? I provided answers to her questions, guided
her
to the FAQ, and pointed her to the archives so that she would know
that this
source of information existed just in case she wanted to do further
research. What
do I get for my trouble? A kick in the teeth. Perhaps the newbie
should get
an attitude check.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

davebugg > wrote:
> On Dec 22, 12:12 am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > > Yeah? Well apparently you overlooked the big dose of information and
> > > help that *I* offered you. Believe me, it won't happen again.

> > Goddamn it, Dave, et al. She's a newbie here and to Q. She's trying to
> > learn. Cut her a little slack, OK?

> Cut her a little slack??? I provided answers to her questions, guided
> her
> to the FAQ, and pointed her to the archives so that she would know
> that this
> source of information existed just in case she wanted to do further
> research. What
> do I get for my trouble? A kick in the teeth. Perhaps the newbie
> should get
> an attitude check.

Perhaps you should walk a mile in her moccasins.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> davebugg > wrote:
>>>
>>> Goddamn it, Dave, et al. She's a newbie here and to Q. She's trying
>>> to learn. Cut her a little slack, OK?

>> Cut her a little slack??? I provided answers to her questions,
>> guided her
>> to the FAQ, and pointed her to the archives so that she would know
>> that this
>> source of information existed just in case she wanted to do further
>> research. What
>> do I get for my trouble? A kick in the teeth. Perhaps the newbie
>> should get
>> an attitude check.

> Perhaps you should walk a mile in her moccasins.

Huh? I have no idea what you mean.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > davebugg > wrote:

> > Perhaps you should walk a mile in her moccasins.

> Huh? I have no idea what you mean.

That's true, Dave. But I do, and it's not my place to say.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> I smoke things on a (horrors) gas grill over indirect heat using soaked
>>> chips in a cast iron smoker box. I'm seriously thinking of "liberating"
>>> that smoker from her one of these days ,vbg>

>> Hi Janet,
>>
>> As previously mentioned, I think you'll be much more pleased if you wrap
>> dry chips in a foil packet with a couple of holes poked in it, rather
>> than
>> soaking them.
>>

> I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
> think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas grill
> even wrapped in foil.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Those chips need oxygen to burn. When you wrap them in foil and poke 2 or 3
holes in the foil all it will do is smoke (hopefully)
Poke the holes with something like an ice pick or that size.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "vex" > wrote:
>> Mark Filice wrote:
>> > In article >, Janet Wilder
>> > []

>> Ahhh... I *thought* the name Janet Wilder looked familar... TTN/NACO
>> member?

> I know Janet Wilder from another NG or two.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They
> are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not
> forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Janet Wilder was also a character in Romancing The Stone
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 05:31:45 GMT, "Brick" > wrote:

>And that's why folks, when you ask how long will it take?
>or what temperature should I cook at? You're going to
>get answers spread all over the map. It's not because
>people are guessing. It's because they answer in terms of
>what works and is convenient for them.
>
>Bottom line; learn your equipment. Start with temp
>control and don't mess with other stuff until you know
>how you can make your cooker run the way you want
>it to or until you can help it run the way it wants to. Only
>then are you ready to mess with rubs and brines and all
>that other stuff.
>
>That's my 2¢.

>Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

<delurk>

thats the best spent 2 cents worth of information ive read in this group, and the truest.
i have 5 diff types of cookers 2 weber gas grills, and a large trailer type homemade offset.
they all cook differently and at differant times and temps, including the 2 webers.
they also cook differently depending on the weather and esp the humidity.

information is like recipes, take what you like from each and use what works for you.

greets all and merry christmas,

<lurk>

Scootz

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> Hi Janet,
>>>
>>> As previously mentioned, I think you'll be much more pleased if you wrap
>>> dry chips in a foil packet with a couple of holes poked in it, rather
>>> than
>>> soaking them.
>>>

>> I would try that in the neighbor's smoker, but not in my gas grill. I
>> think the dry chips would catch fire over the heated side of the gas
>> grill even wrapped in foil.
>>

> Instead of chips, wrap chunks tightly in foil and position them where
> the heat is just right. They don't catch fire and they last longer.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the chunks.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> Mark Filice wrote:
>> In article >, Janet Wilder
>> says...
>>> I was responding to the gentleman who helped with a large dose of
>>> disdain. I did thank both posters who responded for their assistance.
>>>

>> Janet:
>>
>> As you can see, this newsgroup can be as tough as
>> rec.outdoors.rv-travel. At least the "Crumudgeon of Sill Hill" hasn't
>> found it yet.

> Ahhh... I *thought* the name Janet Wilder looked familar... TTN/NACO member?
>

> --Brett
> TTN-Flames owner

Former TTN member. I gave it back to them last March.

Pork Butt! Sky General Cooking 15 06-10-2012 07:58 AM
I have a pork butt in the crock pot. ImStillMags General Cooking 53 02-01-2012 01:00 AM
Pork Butt ?? Sky General Cooking 63 06-05-2009 12:28 AM
First Pork Butt- Thank You All Robert Lusk Barbecue 1 16-12-2003 10:24 PM