Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Pork Butt!

A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt (shoulder) on sale for
$0.99/lb, so I had to grab a couple roasts for the freezer and one to
cook - just could not resist that price. Tomorrow one will cook one of
the three butts to split between myself and Spouse's friend after he
trims/prunes the front hedges. It'll be nice to have the front yard
looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then
it'll be time to rake (ugh!) ;>

I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
>A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt (shoulder) on sale for
>$0.99/lb, so I had to grab a couple roasts for the freezer and one to
>cook - just could not resist that price. Tomorrow one will cook one of the
>three butts to split between myself and Spouse's friend after he
>trims/prunes the front hedges. It'll be nice to have the front yard
>looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then it'll
>be time to rake (ugh!) ;>
>
> I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
> hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So, how
> do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!

I've been thinking of making some Chinese barbequed pork. I saw a recipe in
one of those Cooks Illustrated magazines, published by the America's Test
Kitchen people.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

>A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt (shoulder) on sale for
>$0.99/lb, so I had to grab a couple roasts for the freezer and one to
>cook - just could not resist that price.
>
>I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
>hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
>how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!

http://www.elboricua.com/pernil.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
> hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
> how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!

I simmer mine on the top of the stove in a salt and brown sugar brine.
In the end, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. All I know is that
I prefer pork butt eaten right after it comes off the heat, shredded
with salt and pepper. IMO, all pork is best eaten immediately after the
*first* cooking.
There's lots of stuff you can do with reheated pork, but it will never
taste as good as fresh and hot from whatever original method.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/10/2012 9:22 PM, Sky wrote:
> A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt (shoulder) on sale for
> $0.99/lb, so I had to grab a couple roasts for the freezer and one to
> cook - just could not resist that price. Tomorrow one will cook one of
> the three butts to split between myself and Spouse's friend after he
> trims/prunes the front hedges. It'll be nice to have the front yard
> looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then
> it'll be time to rake (ugh!) ;>
>
> I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
> hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
> how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!

Rub it with a whole bunch of stuff... salt, pepper, cumin, mustard
powder, allspice, thyme, cinnamon.... let it sit for a couple hours,
then pop in into the oven in a sealed pot at 300F for 6 hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/2/2012 11:41 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
>> I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
>> hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
>> how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!

> I simmer mine on the top of the stove in a salt and brown sugar brine.
> In the end, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. All I know is that
> I prefer pork butt eaten right after it comes off the heat, shredded
> with salt and pepper. IMO, all pork is best eaten immediately after the
> *first* cooking.
> There's lots of stuff you can do with reheated pork, but it will never
> taste as good as fresh and hot from whatever original method.

So true!

Sky, who has the butt in the oven at this moment !

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/3/2012 10:12 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 9:22 PM, Sky wrote:
>> A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt (shoulder) on sale for
>> $0.99/lb, so I had to grab a couple roasts for the freezer and one to
>> cook - just could not resist that price. Tomorrow one will cook one of
>> the three butts to split between myself and Spouse's friend after he
>> trims/prunes the front hedges. It'll be nice to have the front yard
>> looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then
>> it'll be time to rake (ugh!) ;>
>>
>> I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
>> hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
>> how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!
>>

> Rub it with a whole bunch of stuff... salt, pepper, cumin, mustard
> powder, allspice, thyme, cinnamon.... let it sit for a couple hours,
> then pop in into the oven in a sealed pot at 300F for 6 hours.

Done, and in the process

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt (shoulder) on sale for
> $0.99/lb, so I had to grab a couple roasts for the freezer and one to
> cook - just could not resist that price. Tomorrow one will cook one of
> the three butts to split between myself and Spouse's friend after he
> trims/prunes the front hedges. It'll be nice to have the front yard
> looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then
> it'll be time to rake (ugh!) ;>
>
> I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
> hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
> how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!
>
> Sky

It's a good cut for making sausage. So buy a couple more for the grinder!

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2012 3:22 PM, Sky wrote:
> A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt (shoulder) on sale for
> $0.99/lb, so I had to grab a couple roasts for the freezer and one to
> cook - just could not resist that price. Tomorrow one will cook one of
> the three butts to split between myself and Spouse's friend after he
> trims/prunes the front hedges. It'll be nice to have the front yard
> looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then
> it'll be time to rake (ugh!) ;>
>
> I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
> hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
> how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!
>
> Sky

My recommendation is that you cook it however you want and shred the
meat. Fry it in a pan with a good amount of oil over medium high heat
and then add a good amount of vinegar flavored with hot sauce or soy
sauce or whatever you want. Crisp the pork on both sides and serve. It's
tasty!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2012 8:22 PM, Sky wrote:
> A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt (shoulder) on sale for
> $0.99/lb, so I had to grab a couple roasts for the freezer and one to
> cook - just could not resist that price. Tomorrow one will cook one of
> the three butts to split between myself and Spouse's friend after he
> trims/prunes the front hedges. It'll be nice to have the front yard
> looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then
> it'll be time to rake (ugh!) ;>
>
> I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
> hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
> how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!
>
> Sky

Cochinita pibil, baked in the oven for 2-3 hours, then cooled and
shredded.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2012 9:22 PM, Sky wrote:

> A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt (shoulder) on sale for
> $0.99/lb, so I had to grab a couple roasts for the freezer and one to
> cook - just could not resist that price. Tomorrow one will cook one of
> the three butts to split between myself and Spouse's friend after he
> trims/prunes the front hedges. It'll be nice to have the front yard
> looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then
> it'll be time to rake (ugh!) ;>
>
> I intend to braise the pork butt in the oven low-n-slow for quite some
> hours, although I'm not sure about the spices and such just yet. So,
> how do fellow RFC folks like to cook their butts ???? VBG!!!!

Great deal Sky! I couldn't pass that up, either. I haven't done much
cooking on the grill this summer with all the issues. Also have to have
the neighbor kid do the leaves because it's already time, here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 20:22:44 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>A local grocery store (Schnucks) had pork butt

Why would anyone eat something called BUTT????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 2, 9:23*pm, Sky > wrote:

> Tomorrow one will cook one of the three butts to split between myself and
> Spouse's friend after he trims/prunes the front hedges. *It'll be nice to have
> the front yard looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then
> it'll be time to rake (ugh!) ;>

So in other words nobody eats at your place without first doing
chores for you?

It's really all about the yard, isn't it - the food merely a tool to
get the job done,
TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 5, 2012 12:58:17 AM UTC-5, Tommy Joe wrote:
> On Oct 2, 9:23*pm, Sky > wrote:
>

> > Tomorrow one will cook one of the three butts to split between myself and

> > Spouse's friend after he trims/prunes the front hedges. *It'll be nice to have

> > the front yard looking 'purty' again, although all the leaves will soon fall - then

> > it'll be time to rake (ugh!) ;>

> So in other words nobody eats at your place without first doing
>
> chores for you?
>

> It's really all about the yard, isn't it - the food merely a tool to
>
> get the job done,

Dude, you're just jealous that the woman next door doesn't reward *you* with a piece of butt for pruning *her* hedges.

> TJ

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 5, 8:48*am, Bryan > wrote:

> Dude, you're just jealous that the woman next door doesn't reward *you* with a piece of butt for pruning *her* hedges.

Never any jealousy out of me, not at this stage. Of course I was
trying to be funny. But the truth is, that was the way her post read
to me, the way she segued quickly from food to the lawn chores. I
thought it was funny and I know I'm not alone. I might run an errand
of some sort for food - do somebody a favor of some kind - but if the
chore involves hard work or doing something I'm not good at there will
be no deal. Pruning hedges seems like hard work to a guy like me, a
guy for whom just getting out of bed is exercise.

TJ

I have a pork butt in the crock pot. ImStillMags General Cooking 53 02-01-2012 12:00 AM
Pork Butt ?? Sky General Cooking 63 06-05-2009 12:28 AM
Help with a Pork Butt Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 87 29-12-2007 02:32 AM
First Pork Butt- Thank You All Robert Lusk Barbecue 1 16-12-2003 09:24 PM