Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Help with a Pork Butt

I tried searching the archives but nothing came up.

My neighbor has a New Braunfels-type smoker and there is a sale on pork
butt at the local supermarket. We'd like to try one. (She doesn't really
know how to use the smoker and I have an idea from lurking here, but no
experience)

I have a few questions, if you will be so kind as to help us:

Should we use a rub? If yes, how long before smoking should we apply it?

How many hours per pound should it take to smoke the butt?

Do we have to make pulled pork or can it cook a little less time and be
sliced and served?

I have a couple of rub recipes we are considering and she has charcoal
and wood chunks.

How long should we soak the wood chunks?

I know this post seems annoying to those of you who are BBQ experts, but
all of us have to start somewhere and this pork butt is our "somewhere"

I've Googled smoked pork butt and have some good advice, but the *best*
advice is from newsgroups.

TIA for any assistance.

--
Janet Wilder