Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default I have a pork butt in the crock pot.

Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. Rubbed the
pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. Added about 2
T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. I'm going to leave it on
high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
hours.

Pulled pork coming tonight !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 11:58*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. * Rubbed the
> pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. * Added about 2
> T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. * I'm going to leave it on
> high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
> hours.
>
> Pulled pork coming tonight !

It will be tender and delicious but I'm assuming you don't have a
kettle grill such as a Weber? Or is the weather too nasty where you
are to be outside smoking a pork butt?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2011 7:58 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. Rubbed the
> pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. Added about 2
> T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. I'm going to leave it on
> high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
> hours.
>
> Pulled pork coming tonight !

Roast pork with gravy and rice is a staple in Hawaii. The best roast
pork I ever had was at a lunch wagon where I used to work. I cornered
the cook several times and asked him for his method. Then I cornered him
again when it didn't turn out like his. I've tried for over a decade to
copy his dish but nowdays I just put the pork in a pot a stick it in the
oven for 5 or more hours at low temperature. Cooking it on a bed of
onions is a swell idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 30, 10:23*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
wrote:
> On Dec 30, 11:58*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>

> > Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. * Rubbed the
> > pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. * Added about 2
> > T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. * I'm going to leave it on
> > high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
> > hours.

> > Pulled pork coming tonight !

> It will be tender and delicious but I'm assuming you don't have a
> kettle grill such as a Weber? *Or is the weather too nasty where you
> are to be outside smoking a pork butt?

yeah....way to nasty right now to bother firing up a bbq.... the
liquid smoke....just a bit....will give the same effect
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 2:26*pm, Andy > wrote:

> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. * Rubbed the
> > pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. * Added about 2
> > T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. * I'm going to leave it on
> > high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
> > hours.

> > Pulled pork coming tonight !

> Wouldn't pork butt make it a "crack" pot? <VBG>
>
> Sorry!
>
> Andy

Go stand in the corner and don't come out until you are told to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 3:02*pm, Andy > wrote:

> ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:>
>
> > Go stand in the corner and don't come out until you are told to.

> Yeah, yeah! I know the routine!!!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Get in that corner before I go cut a switch!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 30, 2011 11:43:21 AM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/30/2011 7:58 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> > Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. Rubbed the
> > pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. Added about 2
> > T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. I'm going to leave it on
> > high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
> > hours.
> >
> > Pulled pork coming tonight !
> >

> Roast pork with gravy and rice is a staple in Hawaii. The best roast
> pork I ever had was at a lunch wagon where I used to work. I cornered
> the cook several times and asked him for his method. Then I cornered him
> again when it didn't turn out like his. I've tried for over a decade to
> copy his dish but nowdays I just put the pork in a pot a stick it in the
> oven for 5 or more hours at low temperature. Cooking it on a bed of
> onions is a swell idea.

Some cooks will not give out their secrets for some inexplicable
reason. Even torture wouldn't work I'm sure. Nasty beggars.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy > wrote:

>On Friday, December 30, 2011 11:43:21 AM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:

>> Roast pork with gravy and rice is a staple in Hawaii. The best roast
>> pork I ever had was at a lunch wagon where I used to work. I cornered
>> the cook several times and asked him for his method. Then I cornered him
>> again when it didn't turn out like his. I've tried for over a decade to
>> copy his dish but nowdays I just put the pork in a pot a stick it in the
>> oven for 5 or more hours at low temperature. Cooking it on a bed of
>> onions is a swell idea.

>Some cooks will not give out their secrets for some inexplicable
>reason. Even torture wouldn't work I'm sure. Nasty beggars.

Perhaps the lunch wagon guy was using MSG?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2011 11:44 AM, Roy wrote:
> On Friday, December 30, 2011 11:43:21 AM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 12/30/2011 7:58 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>> Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. Rubbed the
>>> pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. Added about 2
>>> T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. I'm going to leave it on
>>> high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
>>> hours.
>>>
>>> Pulled pork coming tonight !
>>>

>> Roast pork with gravy and rice is a staple in Hawaii. The best roast
>> pork I ever had was at a lunch wagon where I used to work. I cornered
>> the cook several times and asked him for his method. Then I cornered him
>> again when it didn't turn out like his. I've tried for over a decade to
>> copy his dish but nowdays I just put the pork in a pot a stick it in the
>> oven for 5 or more hours at low temperature. Cooking it on a bed of
>> onions is a swell idea.

> Some cooks will not give out their secrets for some inexplicable
> reason. Even torture wouldn't work I'm sure. Nasty beggars.

I did have the feeling that he was giving me a recipe for red herrings
or maybe he was sandbagging me. That's the breaks - there's nothing that
can be done about that.

OTOH, my guess is that the lunch wagon was a front for a bookie
operation cause I'd see runners taking off every once in a while and it
was pretty strange to see a lunch wagon with a telephone line wired into
the place. I should have used that info to blackmail the cook into
spilling the beans. OTOH, I might have been the one that ended up in an
oven. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:04:38 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

>On Dec 30, 3:02*pm, Andy > wrote:
>>
>> ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:>
>>
>> > Go stand in the corner and don't come out until you are told to.

>> Yeah, yeah! I know the routine!!!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy
>>

>Get in that corner before I go cut a switch!

Yeah, you just want an excuse to pull Andy's pants down and lay him
across your lap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 10:54*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Dec 30, 10:23*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 30, 11:58*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> > > Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. * Rubbed the
> > > pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. * Added about 2
> > > T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. * I'm going to leave it on
> > > high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
> > > hours.

> > > Pulled pork coming tonight !

> > It will be tender and delicious but I'm assuming you don't have a
> > kettle grill such as a Weber? *Or is the weather too nasty where you
> > are to be outside smoking a pork butt?

> yeah....way to nasty right now to bother firing up a bbq.... * the
> liquid smoke....just a bit....will give the same effect

Hardly. Smoking in a Weber for a couple hours (coals under a water
reservoir to moderate the heat, butt over a drip pan, woodchips --
preferably hickory -- for flavor), THEN cooking low and slow in an
oven, will produce a ten X improvement.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 12:54*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Dec 30, 10:23*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 30, 11:58*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> > > Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. * Rubbed the
> > > pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. * Added about 2
> > > T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. * I'm going to leave it on
> > > high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
> > > hours.

> > > Pulled pork coming tonight !

> > It will be tender and delicious but I'm assuming you don't have a
> > kettle grill such as a Weber? *Or is the weather too nasty where you
> > are to be outside smoking a pork butt?

> yeah....way to nasty right now to bother firing up a bbq.... * the
> liquid smoke....just a bit....will give the same effect

Sure, just like opening up a can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti and
meatballs "will give the same effect" as making it from scratch. It
amazes me that someone who used to get paid to cook could make such a
stupid statement.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 10:06*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> On Dec 30, 10:54*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > On Dec 30, 10:23*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> > wrote:

> > > It will be tender and delicious but I'm assuming you don't have a
> > > kettle grill such as a Weber? *Or is the weather too nasty where you
> > > are to be outside smoking a pork butt?

> > yeah....way to nasty right now to bother firing up a bbq.... * the
> > liquid smoke....just a bit....will give the same effect

> Hardly. Smoking in a Weber for a couple hours (coals under a water
> reservoir to moderate the heat, butt over a drip pan, woodchips --
> preferably hickory -- for flavor), THEN cooking low and slow in an
> oven, will produce a ten X improvement.

Pull your claws back in; he said the weather was atrocious where he's
located so the crockpot pork will be delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 10:23*am, Bryan > wrote:

> On Dec 30, 12:54*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > On Dec 30, 10:23*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> > wrote:

> > > It will be tender and delicious but I'm assuming you don't have a
> > > kettle grill such as a Weber? *Or is the weather too nasty where you
> > > are to be outside smoking a pork butt?

> > yeah....way to nasty right now to bother firing up a bbq.... * the
> > liquid smoke....just a bit....will give the same effect

> Sure, just like opening up a can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti and
> meatballs "will give the same effect" as making it from scratch. *It
> amazes me that someone who used to get paid to cook could make such a
> stupid statement.
>
> --Bryan

You too; sheath your claws. You read where he said the weather is
nasty in his neck of the woods. Crockpot pork will be tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 11:03*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
wrote:
> On Dec 31, 10:23*am, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 30, 12:54*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:

> > > yeah....way to nasty right now to bother firing up a bbq.... * the
> > > liquid smoke....just a bit....will give the same effect

> > Sure, just like opening up a can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti and
> > meatballs "will give the same effect" as making it from scratch. *It
> > amazes me that someone who used to get paid to cook could make such a
> > stupid statement.

> > --Bryan

> You too; sheath your claws. *You read where he said the weather is
> nasty in his neck of the woods. *Crockpot pork will be tasty.

She wrote something idiotic, which was that Liquid Smoke in the
crockpot "will give the same effect" as smoking it in a Weber kettle.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 11:35*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 31, 11:03*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> wrote:

> > > Sure, just like opening up a can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti and
> > > meatballs "will give the same effect" as making it from scratch. *It
> > > amazes me that someone who used to get paid to cook could make such a
> > > stupid statement.

> > > --Bryan

> > You too; sheath your claws. *You read where he said the weather is
> > nasty in his neck of the woods. *Crockpot pork will be tasty.

> She wrote something idiotic, which was that Liquid Smoke in the
> crockpot "will give the same effect" as smoking it in a Weber kettle.
>
> --Bryan

I know, I know. But it's her pork butt to do with as she pleases and
if done properly liquid smoke can give some amazing results
'indoors.' If I lived close to her and got an invite to share this
dish I certainly wouldn't refuse!
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJoanNotJoann View Post
On Dec 30, 11:58*am, ImStillMags wrote:

Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. * Rubbed the
pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. * Added about 2
T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. * I'm going to leave it on
high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
hours.

Pulled pork coming tonight !

It will be tender and delicious but I'm assuming you don't have a
kettle grill such as a Weber? Or is the weather too nasty where you
are to be outside smoking a pork butt?
Read my mind. So easy to smoke one in a kettlegrill. Just gotta have one side for the meat, one for the "smoke" source.

I can't handle liquid smoke. You may want to drain as much fat as you can before you serve it. Lotta fat on a shoulder. That turns into flavor when you slow smoke it.

Hope it turns out well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 09:35:58 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> She wrote something idiotic, which was that Liquid Smoke in the
> crockpot "will give the same effect" as smoking it in a Weber kettle.

And it will.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2011 7:49 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

> I know, I know. But it's her pork butt to do with as she pleases and
> if done properly liquid smoke can give some amazing results
> 'indoors.' If I lived close to her and got an invite to share this
> dish I certainly wouldn't refuse!

People should be free to cook as they wish until the time that it no
longer pleases them to do so. Liquid smoke is a traditional ingredient
of Hawaiian style kalua pig. I taught my sister-in-law how to make this
dish and they go nuts for it.

I've used liquid smoke for kalua pork since I was a kid but recently
have stopped because I'm aiming for a different flavor profile. If I
could find some banana leaves to wrap the pork in while roasting I'd be
using liquid smoke for sure. That sure would be tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 10:49:18 -1000, dsi1 >
wrote:

> On 12/31/2011 7:49 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> >
> > I know, I know. But it's her pork butt to do with as she pleases and
> > if done properly liquid smoke can give some amazing results
> > 'indoors.' If I lived close to her and got an invite to share this
> > dish I certainly wouldn't refuse!

> People should be free to cook as they wish until the time that it no
> longer pleases them to do so. Liquid smoke is a traditional ingredient
> of Hawaiian style kalua pig. I taught my sister-in-law how to make this
> dish and they go nuts for it.
>
> I've used liquid smoke for kalua pork since I was a kid but recently
> have stopped because I'm aiming for a different flavor profile. If I
> could find some banana leaves to wrap the pork in while roasting I'd be
> using liquid smoke for sure. That sure would be tasty.

Bryan's post was typical rfc dictatorshipping... and he's not the only
one.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 11:49*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
wrote:
> On Dec 31, 11:35*am, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 31, 11:03*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> > wrote:

> > > You too; sheath your claws. *You read where he said the weather is
> > > nasty in his neck of the woods. *Crockpot pork will be tasty.

> > She wrote something idiotic, which was that Liquid Smoke in the
> > crockpot "will give the same effect" as smoking it in a Weber kettle.

> > --Bryan

> I know, I know. *But it's her pork butt to do with as she pleases and
> if done properly liquid smoke can give some amazing results
> 'indoors.' *If I lived close to her and got an invite to share this
> dish I certainly wouldn't refuse!

It is indeed *her* butt, and I never said anything about it being good
or not, only that making the claim that her method "will give the same
effect" as actual smoking was asinine. It won't, and anyone who
doesn't realize that is clueless about smoking.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 1:12*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 09:35:58 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
>
> > She wrote something idiotic, which was that Liquid Smoke in the
> > crockpot "will give the same effect" as smoking it in a Weber kettle.

> And it will.

I'm glad that I have a Weber Kettle, an adequate supply of hickory,
cherry and peach woods, and am not too lazy to use them. Perhaps some
of you like the liquid smoke crockpot junk because it reminds you of
the food at the cafeterias where senior citizens congregate.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 3:13*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 31, 11:49*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 31, 11:35*am, Bryan > wrote:

> > > She wrote something idiotic, which was that Liquid Smoke in the
> > > crockpot "will give the same effect" as smoking it in a Weber kettle.

> > > --Bryan

> > I know, I know. *But it's her pork butt to do with as she pleases and
> > if done properly liquid smoke can give some amazing results
> > 'indoors.' *If I lived close to her and got an invite to share this
> > dish I certainly wouldn't refuse!

> It is indeed *her* butt, and I never said anything about it being good
> or not, only that making the claim that her method "will give the same
> effect" as actual smoking was asinine. *It won't, and anyone who
> doesn't realize that is clueless about smoking.
>
> --Bryan

And with that I'd have to agree. Crock potting (slow wet cooking) a
pork butt is gonna yield a result similar result as slow dry cooking
via smoking, a very tender and delicious hunk-o-pork-butt, but not
quite identical.

I think the similarities will probably outweigh the differences
though! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2011 12:58 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> Put down a fat layer of onion on the bottom of the pot. Rubbed the
> pork with pepper and garlic and put it on the onions. Added about 2
> T of liquid smoke drizzled over the roast. I'm going to leave it on
> high for about 2 hours and then turn it down to low for another 8
> hours.
>
> Pulled pork coming tonight !

Sounds good! I cooked one slow on the grill a few weeks ago and froze
the leftovers. I have enough pulled pork for several sandwiches.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 31, 1:21*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 31, 3:13*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 31, 11:49*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> > wrote:

> > > I know, I know. *But it's her pork butt to do with as she pleases and
> > > if done properly liquid smoke can give some amazing results
> > > 'indoors.' *If I lived close to her and got an invite to share this
> > > dish I certainly wouldn't refuse!

> > It is indeed *her* butt, and I never said anything about it being good
> > or not, only that making the claim that her method "will give the same
> > effect" as actual smoking was asinine. *It won't, and anyone who
> > doesn't realize that is clueless about smoking.

> > --Bryan

> And with that I'd have to agree. Crock potting (slow wet cooking) a
> pork butt is gonna yield a result similar result as slow dry cooking
> via smoking, a very tender and delicious hunk-o-pork-butt, but not
> quite identical.
>
> I think the similarities will probably outweigh the differences
> though! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

I didn't add any liquid. The liquid smoke was about 2 tablespoons
and was drizzled over the pork outside the pot and then the roast was
put in the crock pot on a bed of onions. It rendered out it's own
juices and fat and the smoke was just a hint. It turned out silky,
tender and delicious fall off the bone tender.

As usual, some will disagree with methodology and declare their way or
the highway, but I'm of a mind that it's all good in the end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 3:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 31, 1:12*pm, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 09:35:58 -0800 (PST), Bryan

> > > wrote:

> > > She wrote something idiotic, which was that Liquid Smoke in the
> > > crockpot "will give the same effect" as smoking it in a Weber kettle.

> > And it will.

> I'm glad that I have a Weber Kettle, an adequate supply of hickory,
> cherry and peach woods, and am not too lazy to use them. *Perhaps some
> of you like the liquid smoke crockpot junk because it reminds you of
> the food at the cafeterias where senior citizens congregate.
>
> --Bryan

You should get as real smoker, Bryan. They have some very good
electric ones now. Can't smoke ribs (or anything else!) for 8-10
hours on a Weber kettle, but you can in a smoker.

Although with that "best BBQed chicken I ever had", I think we were
pushing the time limit!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 13:13:02 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> It is indeed *her* butt, and I never said anything about it being good
> or not, only that making the claim that her method "will give the same
> effect" as actual smoking was asinine. It won't, and anyone who
> doesn't realize that is clueless about smoking.

So now you're claiming it won't give her pork butt a smoky flavor?
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 13:18:12 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Dec 31, 1:12*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 09:35:58 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> >
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > She wrote something idiotic, which was that Liquid Smoke in the
> > > crockpot "will give the same effect" as smoking it in a Weber kettle.

> > And it will.

> I'm glad that I have a Weber Kettle, an adequate supply of hickory,
> cherry and peach woods, and am not too lazy to use them. Perhaps some
> of you like the liquid smoke crockpot junk because it reminds you of
> the food at the cafeterias where senior citizens congregate.

Well, I don't have a crockpot and I don't roast pork butt with liquid
smoke. I'd put it in the bbq sauce if I wanted a smoky flavor - but
I'm not going to tell her how to do it. She's a big girl and can make
up her own mind. To be honest, I think 2T is too much to use unless
you're making restaurant quantities, but that's another argument.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 31, 1:49*pm, sf > wrote:

> Well, I don't have a crockpot and I don't roast pork butt with liquid
> smoke. *I'd put it in the bbq sauce if I wanted a smoky flavor - but
> I'm not going to tell her how to do it. *She's a big girl and can make
> up her own mind. *To be honest, I think 2T is too much to use unless
> you're making restaurant quantities, but that's another argument.

Thanks for the vote of confidence ;-) I didn't do BBQ sauce
because I wanted to use the pork in other ways as well.

I reiterate again that the 2T was drizzled over the roast and rubbed
around BEFORE it went into the crockpot.
Most of it was left behind. I didn't want a really smoky taste, just
a hint.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 11:23*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 30, 12:54*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 30, 10:23*am, ItsJoanNotJoann >
> > wrote:

> > > It will be tender and delicious but I'm assuming you don't have a
> > > kettle grill such as a Weber? *Or is the weather too nasty where you
> > > are to be outside smoking a pork butt?

> > yeah....way to nasty right now to bother firing up a bbq.... * the
> > liquid smoke....just a bit....will give the same effect

> Sure, just like opening up a can of Chef Boyardee spaghetti and
> meatballs "will give the same effect" as making it from scratch. *It
> amazes me that someone who used to get paid to cook could make such a
> stupid statement.
>
> --Bryan

It doesn't surprise me. Getting paid to cook usually means making slop
like this. And it works. You get people like Bovine who think they're
particular about food who eat processed poison like Taco Time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 6:09*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:

> It doesn't surprise me. Getting paid to cook usually means making slop
> like this. And it works. You get people like Bovine who think they're
> particular about food who eat processed poison like Taco Time.

Hey BillyZoom, are you ever NOT an asshole?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 7:13*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 31, 6:09*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
>
> > It doesn't surprise me. Getting paid to cook usually means making slop
> > like this. And it works. You get people like Bovine who think they're
> > particular about food who eat processed poison like Taco Time.

> Hey BillyZoom, are you ever NOT an asshole?
>
> John Kuthe...

You don't exist. There is nobody in real life who has the
qualifications you claim to have that is so unknowledgeable and
unsuccessful. I refuse to believe that anyone, no matter how
emotionally crippled, could attain the educational qualifications you
claim and still be such a failure in professional and personal life.
You. Don't. Exist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 3:49*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 13:18:12 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>

> > wrote:
> > On Dec 31, 1:12*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 09:35:58 -0800 (PST), Bryan

> > > And it will.

> > I'm glad that I have a Weber Kettle, an adequate supply of hickory,
> > cherry and peach woods, and am not too lazy to use them. *Perhaps some
> > of you like the liquid smoke crockpot junk because it reminds you of
> > the food at the cafeterias where senior citizens congregate.

> Well, I don't have a crockpot and I don't roast pork butt with liquid
> smoke. *I'd put it in the bbq sauce if I wanted a smoky flavor - but
> I'm not going to tell her how to do it. *She's a big girl and can make
> up her own mind. *To be honest, I think 2T is too much to use unless
> you're making restaurant quantities, but that's another argument.

Originally, my only issue was with her statement: "will give the same
effect." I did not criticize her method, just her absurd statement.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 3:41*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 31, 3:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 31, 1:12*pm, sf > wrote:

> > > On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 09:35:58 -0800 (PST), Bryan

> > > And it will.

> > I'm glad that I have a Weber Kettle, an adequate supply of hickory,
> > cherry and peach woods, and am not too lazy to use them. *Perhaps some
> > of you like the liquid smoke crockpot junk because it reminds you of
> > the food at the cafeterias where senior citizens congregate.

> > --Bryan

> You should get as real smoker, Bryan. They have some very good
> electric ones now. *Can't smoke ribs (or anything else!) for 8-10
> hours on a Weber kettle, but you can in a smoker.
>
> Although with that "best BBQed chicken I ever had", I think we were
> pushing *the time limit!! ;-)

I'm more interested in wood grilling than long smoking. I cook beef
steaks rare, but still get a lot of smoky goodness onto them. For
chicken, an hour and a half is plenty long to cook it with lots of
smoke involved. One limitation of the Weber is that you can only use
a bit more than half of the grill space, as the rest is subject to too
much direct heat.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:40:13 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> Thanks for the vote of confidence ;-) I didn't do BBQ sauce
> because I wanted to use the pork in other ways as well.

I don't sauce it while in the oven either, it's in the sauce that goes
on my pulled pork sandwiches. I have one that I need to make up
again. It's an amalgam of recipes and sooo good. Even my husband
likes it and he's not a bbq sauce fan.

Mustardy BBQ Sauce (revised)
by: me

½ cup cheap brown or yellow hot dog mustard (buy the least expensive
one you can find - brand doesn't matter)
¼ cup cider vinegar
2T brown sugar
½ t cayenne
½ t black pepper
¼ t liquid smoke or ½ t smoked paprika
½ t Worcestershire sauce
2T prepared red barbecue sauce, like Bullseye (or substitute 1T each
ketchup and molasses)

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 18:18:51 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> Originally, my only issue was with her statement: "will give the same
> effect." I did not criticize her method, just her absurd statement.

I'm over it now. Happy 2012! That was the first time I've written
the new year's date in the new year.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:13:49 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> On Dec 31, 6:09*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
>
> > It doesn't surprise me. Getting paid to cook usually means making slop
> > like this. And it works. You get people like Bovine who think they're
> > particular about food who eat processed poison like Taco Time.

> Hey BillyZoom, are you ever NOT an asshole?

He's a case in point about why to upgrade Agent so you can have a kill
file.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 12:25*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:13:49 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> > On Dec 31, 6:09*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:

> > > It doesn't surprise me. Getting paid to cook usually means making slop
> > > like this. And it works. You get people like Bovine who think they're
> > > particular about food who eat processed poison like Taco Time.

> > Hey BillyZoom, are you ever NOT an asshole?

> He's a case in point about why to upgrade Agent so you can have a kill
> file.
>
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Because you didn't see anything I wrote, right moron? It only takes
one reply to foil your killfile, ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 11:25*am, sf > wrote:
> He's a case in point about why to upgrade Agent so you can have a kill
> file.

I don't do killfiles. I can ignore posters if and when *I* choose. I
don't need a machine to do it for me.

Thanks though.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BillyZoom wrote:

> On Jan 1, 12:25 pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:13:49 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > Hey BillyZoom, are you ever NOT an asshole?

> > He's a case in point about why to upgrade Agent so you can have a kill
> > file.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ham and eggs.
> > A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

> Because you didn't see anything I wrote, right moron? It only takes
> one reply to foil your killfile,...

I've never used a killfile. I hate censorship and I refuse to do it to
myself.

Gary

Pork Butt! Sky General Cooking 15 06-10-2012 07:58 AM
Pork Butt ?? Sky General Cooking 63 06-05-2009 12:28 AM
Help with a Pork Butt Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 87 29-12-2007 02:32 AM
First Pork Butt- Thank You All Robert Lusk Barbecue 1 16-12-2003 09:24 PM