Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Help with a Pork Butt

Janet Wilder wrote:
> I tried searching the archives but nothing came up.
>
> My neighbor has a New Braunfels-type smoker and there is a sale on
> pork butt at the local supermarket. We'd like to try one. (She
> doesn't really know how to use the smoker and I have an idea from
> lurking here, but no experience)
>
> I have a few questions, if you will be so kind as to help us:
>
> Should we use a rub? If yes, how long before smoking should we apply
> it?

Not required. I apply rub about 30 minutes prior to going into the pit.

> How many hours per pound should it take to smoke the butt?

You don't go by time, you go by temp. For pulled pork, about 185-190F
internal.

> Do we have to make pulled pork or can it cook a little less time and
> be sliced and served?

No, you don't have to make pulled pork. You can pull the butt to be sliced
any time above 165F.

> I have a couple of rub recipes we are considering and she has charcoal
> and wood chunks.
>
> How long should we soak the wood chunks?

Zero minutes, i.e. you don't soak.

> I know this post seems annoying to those of you who are BBQ experts,
> but all of us have to start somewhere and this pork butt is our
> "somewhere"

Why haven't you read the archives?

> I've Googled smoked pork butt and have some good advice, but the
> *best* advice is from newsgroups.

Same as above.

You should CAREFULLY read the bbq faq:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html