Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Louis Cohen Louis Cohen is offline

Default Help with a Pork Butt

On Dec 19, 7:13 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> I tried searching the archives but nothing came up.
>
> My neighbor has a New Braunfels-type smoker and there is a sale on pork
> butt at the local supermarket. We'd like to try one. (She doesn't really
> know how to use the smoker and I have an idea from lurking here, but no
> experience)

All BBQ is cooked at 220 - 250* until tender; plan on 1 - 1 1/2 hrs
per lb, but every pig/cow is different.

> I have a few questions, if you will be so kind as to help us:
>
> Should we use a rub? If yes, how long before smoking should we apply it?

Try different stuff; see what you like. I like a mustard slather (a
thin later of cheap yellow mustard brushed all over) with the rub
sprinkled on to that, shortly before cooking. If you use nothing but
salt and pepper, you'll be fine (although I do like a thin dressing
based on cider vinegar after the meat has been pulled).

> How many hours per pound should it take to smoke the butt?

Estimate 1 - 1.5 hrs/lb, but check tenderness. at a temp of 190*
internal, teh meat will pull and most of teh fat will have been
rendered without drying out the meat.

> Do we have to make pulled pork or can it cook a little less time and be
> sliced and served?

Slice any time after you reach a safe temp. It will be very greasy,
though, because the fat hasn't rendered.

> I have a couple of rub recipes we are considering and she has charcoal
> and wood chunks.
>
> How long should we soak the wood chunks?

I think it depends on the pit. I used wrap mine, dry, in foil to keep
them from burning up right away. Not more than 30-45 minutes if you
do soak.