Old 22-10-2007, 05:39 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default First Time Port Butt

First time smoking. Here's what I did.

Used an offset barrel smoker
1 Port Butt (maybe a Picnic) 6 lbs.
Cooked 7.5 hours
Internal temp 195 F (Digital probe)
Cherry wood and charcoal

I left it alone and did not turn it or open the lid to check on it.
Tried to keep the temp at 250-275. It came out OK. I could pull the
pork but it was not fall-off-the-bone pullable like I've seen others
produce. Also, it was a bit dry for my taste. Good smoke flavor. The
fatty areas were better. Also, the meat closer to the outside was more
moist than further inside. On the plus side my daughter said it
"Rocked" but I was a bit disappointed overall. Suggestions for
improvement are appreciated.

- Mike

Old 22-10-2007, 05:46 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 22, 12:39 pm, wrote:
First time smoking. Here's what I did.

Used an offset barrel smoker
1 Port Butt (maybe a Picnic) 6 lbs.
Cooked 7.5 hours
Internal temp 195 F (Digital probe)
Cherry wood and charcoal

I left it alone and did not turn it or open the lid to check on it.
Tried to keep the temp at 250-275. It came out OK. I could pull the
pork but it was not fall-off-the-bone pullable like I've seen others
produce. Also, it was a bit dry for my taste. Good smoke flavor. The
fatty areas were better. Also, the meat closer to the outside was more
moist than further inside. On the plus side my daughter said it
"Rocked" but I was a bit disappointed overall. Suggestions for
improvement are appreciated.

- Mike

Forgot to mention the Rub. It was a simple salt/pepper/brown sugar/
mustard affair.

Old 22-10-2007, 08:02 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 22, 12:46 pm, wrote:
On Oct 22, 12:39 pm, wrote:

First time smoking. Here's what I did.

Used an offset barrel smoker
1 Port Butt (maybe a Picnic) 6 lbs.
Cooked 7.5 hours
Internal temp 195 F (Digital probe)
Cherry wood and charcoal

I left it alone and did not turn it or open the lid to check on it.
Tried to keep the temp at 250-275. It came out OK. I could pull the
pork but it was not fall-off-the-bone pullable like I've seen others
produce. Also, it was a bit dry for my taste. Good smoke flavor. The
fatty areas were better. Also, the meat closer to the outside was more
moist than further inside. On the plus side my daughter said it
"Rocked" but I was a bit disappointed overall. Suggestions for
improvement are appreciated.

- Mike

Forgot to mention the Rub. It was a simple salt/pepper/brown sugar/
mustard affair.

And of course I mean Pork Butt. Touch typing gets the better of me
sometimes...

Old 22-10-2007, 08:45 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 22, 2:02 pm, wrote:
On Oct 22, 12:46 pm, wrote:

On Oct 22, 12:39 pm, wrote:

[...]

sometimes...- Hide quoted text -

mr. mike:
Looks like the formula should have worked. 195 is a good magic
number.
Check your thermometer's accuracy. I suspect it's reading high, hence
the tender outside; not so tender inside. Now, you just need it to
roll.

Pierre

Old 22-10-2007, 09:03 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
First time smoking. Here's what I did.

Used an offset barrel smoker
1 Port Butt (maybe a Picnic) 6 lbs.
Cooked 7.5 hours
Internal temp 195 F (Digital probe)
Cherry wood and charcoal

I left it alone and did not turn it or open the lid to check on it.
Tried to keep the temp at 250-275.

Did you measure at the grate?

It came out OK. I could pull the
pork but it was not fall-off-the-bone pullable like I've seen others
produce. Also, it was a bit dry for my taste. Good smoke flavor. The
fatty areas were better. Also, the meat closer to the outside was more
moist than further inside. On the plus side my daughter said it
"Rocked" but I was a bit disappointed overall. Suggestions for
improvement are appreciated.

-- Go for a lower cook temp, around 220F.
-- Forget about time. Although you can guestimate the length of time it
would take to cut a given cut of meat, the only thing that matters is the
actual internal temp.
-- Make sure you know how to properly check the internal temp of the meat. I
would shoot for 190F instead of 195F.
-- Check the internal temp in more than one location.
-- It sounds like your pit has definite hot spots, and that you overcooked
it on one side. Check the temperature range at the grate surface, at several
spots across the grate. Hot spots will require you to move the meat during
cooking so that even cooking occurs.
-- When you get tired of the offset, think about getting a WSM, which will
make bbq far more simple.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 23-10-2007, 12:18 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 22, 4:03 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice. Some one else I know suggested checking the
probe by putting it in boiling water. Also, I didn't move the probe
around which suggests I may have been in a hot part of the meat.
Another friend of mine uses two probes which I'm beginning to think is
not a bad idea. By the way, what's a WSM?

- Mike

Old 23-10-2007, 05:10 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:39:23 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

I prefer to test via ice water, which is the way most health
districts prefer. You don't need a bunch of probes once you have
identified where your hotspots are; they are going to remain
hotspots each time you 'Q unless you get your pit tuned and baffled
to eliminate them

Could you elaborate on how to do that, Dave? I'd 'preciate it!

You've got to get someone who can weld, Denny. I just know what guys like
Dave Klose do, but I don't know how to do it.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 23-10-2007, 08:52 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

wrote:

I prefer to test via ice water, which is the way most health
districts prefer. You don't need a bunch of probes once you have
identified where your hotspots are; they are going to remain
hotspots each time you 'Q unless you get your pit tuned and baffled
to eliminate them

Could you elaborate on how to do that, Dave? I'd 'preciate it!

You've got to get someone who can weld, Denny. I just know what guys
like Dave Klose do, but I don't know how to do it.

Sorry--I was unclear. I meant how to test using ice water.

-denny-

Lol.... sorry. Fill a cup with ice cubes and water. let stand for 10
minutes. Insert thermometer and look to see that it reaches 32F. Most probes
will be + or - up to 3F. It doesn't matter what the altitude or barometric
pressure is.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 23-10-2007, 09:50 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:39:23 -0700, "Dave Bugg"

I prefer to test via ice water, which is the way most health
districts prefer. You don't need a bunch of probes once you have
identified where your hotspots are; they are going to remain
hotspots each time you 'Q unless you get your pit tuned and baffled
to eliminate them

Could you elaborate on how to do that, Dave? I'd 'preciate it!

You've got to get someone who can weld, Denny. I just know what guys
like Dave Klose do, but I don't know how to do it.

Sorry--I was unclear. I meant how to test using ice water.

Lol.... sorry. Fill a cup with ice cubes and water. let stand for 10
minutes. Insert thermometer and look to see that it reaches 32F. Most
probes will be + or - up to 3F. It doesn't matter what the altitude or
barometric pressure is.

I did both, freezing and boiling. My attitude is f*cked and I'm under no
pressure! They all checked out within a few degrees, anyhow.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 23-10-2007, 03:00 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Lol.... sorry. Fill a cup with ice cubes and water. let stand for 10
minutes. Insert thermometer and look to see that it reaches 32F. Most
probes will be + or - up to 3F. It doesn't matter what the altitude or
barometric pressure is.

Well stirred ice water is EXACTLY 32 degrees F, or 0 degrees C. Assuming
there is no salt in the water, which can drop the water temp to about 16 or
18.

-John O

Old 23-10-2007, 04:27 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

JohnO wrote:
Lol.... sorry. Fill a cup with ice cubes and water. let stand for 10
minutes. Insert thermometer and look to see that it reaches 32F. Most
probes will be + or - up to 3F. It doesn't matter what the altitude
or barometric pressure is.

Well stirred ice water is EXACTLY 32 degrees F, or 0 degrees C.
Assuming there is no salt in the water, which can drop the water temp
to about 16 or 18.

But most probe thermometers -- which is what I was talking about -- will
show a variation of up to 3F.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 23-10-2007, 05:12 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
JohnO wrote:
Lol.... sorry. Fill a cup with ice cubes and water. let stand for 10
minutes. Insert thermometer and look to see that it reaches 32F. Most
probes will be + or - up to 3F. It doesn't matter what the altitude
or barometric pressure is.

Well stirred ice water is EXACTLY 32 degrees F, or 0 degrees C.
Assuming there is no salt in the water, which can drop the water temp
to about 16 or 18.

But most probe thermometers -- which is what I was talking about -- will
show a variation of up to 3F.
--

I meant that as an addition to your post, not a contradiction or correction.
:-) Need more coffee....

-John

Old 23-10-2007, 08:38 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

JohnO wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
JohnO wrote:
Lol.... sorry. Fill a cup with ice cubes and water. let stand for
10 minutes. Insert thermometer and look to see that it reaches
32F. Most probes will be + or - up to 3F. It doesn't matter what
the altitude or barometric pressure is.

Well stirred ice water is EXACTLY 32 degrees F, or 0 degrees C.
Assuming there is no salt in the water, which can drop the water
temp to about 16 or 18.

But most probe thermometers -- which is what I was talking about --
will show a variation of up to 3F.
--

I meant that as an addition to your post, not a contradiction or
correction. :-) Need more coffee....

Oh, oh tay. Time for more caffeine meself :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Old 24-10-2007, 04:06 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Oct-2007, "Dave Bugg" wrote:

wrote:
First time smoking. Here's what I did.

Used an offset barrel smoker
1 Port Butt (maybe a Picnic) 6 lbs.

Hard to mis-identify a picnic. It looks like and upper leg. The
butt looks like an indescriminate chunk of meat. (A shoulder
is a combination of the two with a joint in between) Six lbs
is on the small side for a butt or a picnic for that matter.
Seven lbs is a better average.

Cooked 7.5 hours
Internal temp 195 F (Digital probe)
Cherry wood and charcoal

I left it alone and did not turn it or open the lid to check on it.
Tried to keep the temp at 250-275.

Did you measure at the grate?

It came out OK. I could pull the
pork but it was not fall-off-the-bone pullable like I've seen others
produce. Also, it was a bit dry for my taste. Good smoke flavor. The
fatty areas were better. Also, the meat closer to the outside was more
moist than further inside. On the plus side my daughter said it
"Rocked" but I was a bit disappointed overall. Suggestions for
improvement are appreciated.

Folks that have never had "Smoke Roasted" meat either love it or hate
it. I've experienced far more "lovers" then "haters". At least one ran
right out and bought a WSM.

-- Go for a lower cook temp, around 220F.

Can't argue with that suggestion. Too many pitmasters swear by it. But
a lot of others cook at much higher temperatures (myself included)
without the drying out result that you reported.

-- Forget about time. Although you can guestimate the length of time it
would take to cut a given cut of meat, the only thing that matters is the
actual internal temp.
-- Make sure you know how to properly check the internal temp of the meat.

Sage advice. Simply owning a thermometer does not garentee that you will
end up with properly cooked meat. I've practically given up in frustration
on
chicken. Too many times I put raw chicken on the table after my therm told
me it was 165F in the thighs and breast. Not a way to impress SWAMBO
and certainly not her mother.

would shoot for 190F instead of 195F.
-- Check the internal temp in more than one location.

Checking the internal temp in more then one location has been a big
help for me. It usually tells you quite quickly if you got a false reading
the first time.

-- It sounds like your pit has definite hot spots, and that you overcooked

it on one side. Check the temperature range at the grate surface, at
several
spots across the grate. Hot spots will require you to move the meat during

cooking so that even cooking occurs.

My pit has a hot area like Dave describes. I don't always have to turn my
meat, but I have to watch it. Usually, I will turn the meat 180 midway in
the cook to even out the heat penetration. To date, I have never turned
anything upside down.

-- When you get tired of the offset, think about getting a WSM, which will
make bbq far more simple..

Simple is as simple does. I have to attend my offset about every two hours
on average, sometimes stretched to three. Adding fuel or smoke wood is
a matter of opening the firebox lid and throwing it in. The cook chamber
never knows the difference. The WSM will go a long time between refueling,
but I doubt that it will make decent smoke for more then a couple of hours
without some kind of attention. I have a gas fired 7 in 1 bullet smoker. And
I know damn well that it won't.

No offset can compete with the WSM for fuel consumption. I expect to
use between 15 and 20 lbs of lump or briquettes for an eight hour cook.
If you're cost conscious you have to crank that into the equation.

--
Dave

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

turkey and butt at the same time Eddie Barbecue 9 24-12-2009 11:22 PM
time it takes to do a butt Shawn Martin[_12_] Barbecue 0 13-05-2009 02:26 PM
time for pork butt? Paul Barbecue 9 13-06-2005 12:40 AM
Smoking pork butt 1st time Dave Bugg Barbecue 13 16-05-2004 10:08 PM