Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default turkey and butt at the same time

I only have one Mav. I plan to put a med. size turkey and a 7 lb butt
in the K7 at the same time. How can I monitor the interior of both
with only one Mav. I was thinking that one has to cook faster than
the other and I would simply remove the probe from the first and put
it in the other.
This sound about right? Which of the two should I put it in first?
Thanks
Eddie
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 22, 2:23*pm, Eddie > wrote:
> I only have one Mav. *I plan to put a med. size turkey and a 7 lb butt
> in the K7 at the same time. *How can I monitor the interior of both
> with only one Mav. *I was thinking that one has to cook faster than
> the other and I would simply remove the probe from the first and put
> it in the other.
> This sound about right? *Which of the two should I put it in first?
> Thanks
> Eddie

I'd say you'll get the most satisfaction out of putting it in your
butt.

<couldn't help myself>
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Eddie" > wrote in message
>I only have one Mav. I plan to put a med. size turkey and a 7 lb butt
> in the K7 at the same time. How can I monitor the interior of both
> with only one Mav. I was thinking that one has to cook faster than
> the other and I would simply remove the probe from the first and put
> it in the other.
> This sound about right? Which of the two should I put it in first?
> Thanks
> Eddie

I wouldn't. I'd cook the turkey at a higher temperature than the butt.
Turkey @ 350ish so that will cook without drying out, and butt @ 250 to
300ish. In your situation, I'd cook the butts the day or night before, hold
them properly (depends on how much earlier you cooked them), then do the
turkey. Re-heat the butt either with the turkey's last few, 20 or so
minutes, or in a foodsaver bag in boiling water.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 22, 5:23*pm, Eddie > wrote:
> I only have one Mav. *I plan to put a med. size turkey and a 7 lb butt
> in the K7 at the same time. *How can I monitor the interior of both
> with only one Mav. *I was thinking that one has to cook faster than
> the other and I would simply remove the probe from the first and put
> it in the other.
> This sound about right? *Which of the two should I put it in first?
> Thanks
> Eddie

I agree with Ekal, and we have a K5. I do turkeys often and butts more
often. My turkeys cook at 375, and the butts at 225 - 250. Good Luck,
it sounds delicious, what time is dinner? We're only having ham.
Merry Christmas.
Nan in DE
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Olde Hippee wrote:

> I agree with Ekal, and we have a K5. I do turkeys often and butts more
> often. My turkeys cook at 375, and the butts at 225 - 250.

Yup, I do it that way, too. Big Jim will do butts and briskets at the higher
temp. In such a case, the turkey goes on toward the end of the butt's cook
time so that they come out near the same time frame.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 06:34:36 -0800 (PST), Olde Hippee
> wrote:

>I agree with Ekal, and we have a K5. I do turkeys often and butts more
>often. My turkeys cook at 375, and the butts at 225 - 250. Good Luck,
>it sounds delicious, what time is dinner? We're only having ham.
>Merry Christmas.
>Nan in DE

Ok, I think I got it. Since this will be the first time doing two at
a time, I'll follow Ekal's suggestion.
Dinner is all day starting around 3pm. I forgot to add, I'm doing
another shoulder in the crockpot ala kalau style. It will be wrapped
in banana leaves with a little liquid smoke. And, (completely forgot)
a spiral honey-baked ham from Costco and a turkey breast that I'll put
in the K with the butt.
Hmm, so let me see, ham, kalua pig, smoked butt, smoked turkey breast,
and the turkey.
Should be enough. Come on over!
And a Merry Christmas to you too (checking out the window making sure
the ACLU isn't seeing this)
Eddie in San Jose
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Eddie >spewed forth:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 06:34:36 -0800 (PST), Olde Hippee
> > wrote:
>

>> I agree with Ekal, and we have a K5. I do turkeys often and butts
>> more often. My turkeys cook at 375, and the butts at 225 - 250.
>> Good Luck, it sounds delicious, what time is dinner? We're only
>> having ham. Merry Christmas.
>> Nan in DE

> Ok, I think I got it. Since this will be the first time doing two at
> a time, I'll follow Ekal's suggestion.
> Dinner is all day starting around 3pm. I forgot to add, I'm doing
> another shoulder in the crockpot ala kalau style. It will be wrapped
> in banana leaves with a little liquid smoke. And, (completely forgot)
> a spiral honey-baked ham from Costco and a turkey breast that I'll put
> in the K with the butt.
> Hmm, so let me see, ham, kalua pig, smoked butt, smoked turkey breast,
> and the turkey.
> Should be enough. Come on over!
> And a Merry Christmas to you too (checking out the window making sure
> the ACLU isn't seeing this)
> Eddie in San Jose

F' em send the ACLU a CHRISTmas card

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:55:20 -0600, "ChairMan" > wrote:

>In ,
>Eddie >spewed forth:
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 06:34:36 -0800 (PST), Olde Hippee
>> > wrote:
>>

>> And a Merry Christmas to you too (checking out the window making sure
>> the ACLU isn't seeing this)
>> Eddie in San Jose

>F' em send the ACLU a CHRISTmas card

LOL, there was a campaign recently online where people are encouraged
to send them Christmas cards. All the addresses were provided. The
idea was to inundate them with millions of cards. That ought a ****
'em off a little, eh?
Eddie

Apprx cooking time for pork butt No Name Barbecue 87 23-07-2010 12:42 AM
time it takes to do a butt Shawn Martin[_12_] Barbecue 0 13-05-2009 02:26 PM
First Time Port Butt [email protected] Barbecue 22 24-10-2007 09:44 PM
time for pork butt? Paul Barbecue 9 13-06-2005 12:40 AM
Smoking pork butt 1st time Dave Bugg Barbecue 13 16-05-2004 10:08 PM