Paul

Default time for pork butt?

I'm cooking a 9 pound pork butt tomorrow. Some research on the web says
it'll take 1.5 hours per pound. Is that accurate?

We'll be cooking it on our Weber, between 225 and 250 degrees, taking it
off around 195 to 200 degrees internal temperature.
Duwop

"Paul" > wrote in message
> I'm cooking a 9 pound pork butt tomorrow. Some research on the web says
> it'll take 1.5 hours per pound. Is that accurate?

How do you define "accurate"? It's a very rough guide, some cuts will cook
faster than others, some slower. At the temps you mention 12-14 hours would
not suprise me at all.

> We'll be cooking it on our Weber, between 225 and 250 degrees, taking it
> off around 195 to 200 degrees internal temperature.

Yep, that's when it's done. BTW, you won't hurt it any at 250-275 and it'll
be finished sooner than at cooler temps. Some cook butts even higher than
that. Or, do the first 4 hours with the lower temps with the idea that the
smoke gets into the meat better that way (just a hunch really) and then
crank up the heat a bit to finish a bit faster.

Good eats,

Dale

Paul

In article >,
"Duwop" > wrote:

> How do you define "accurate"? It's a very rough guide, some cuts will cook
> faster than others, some slower. At the temps you mention 12-14 hours would
> not suprise me at all.
> Yep, that's when it's done. BTW, you won't hurt it any at 250-275 and it'll
> be finished sooner than at cooler temps. Some cook butts even higher than
> that. Or, do the first 4 hours with the lower temps with the idea that the
> smoke gets into the meat better that way (just a hunch really) and then
> crank up the heat a bit to finish a bit faster.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll put the butt on no later than 7 am,
hoping to eat around 7:30 to 8 pm.
Louis Cohen

It's always time for pork butt.

Figure about 1.5 hrs/lb at 220-250=B0, but check the temp and the
tenderness.

Lew/+Silat

In oups.com,
Louis Cohen > types these words of wisdom:
> It's always time for pork butt.
>
> Figure about 1.5 hrs/lb at 220-250°, but check the temp and the
> tenderness.

You can cook above 300 if you are in a hurry and you wont be able to tell
the difference.

--
Lew/+Silat

Matthew L. Martin

Paul wrote:
> I'm cooking a 9 pound pork butt tomorrow. Some research on the web says
> it'll take 1.5 hours per pound. Is that accurate?

No. I did two butts in the same cook. They weighed the same within a few
ounces. One cooked in 14 hours, the other took 18. The only real
difference between the two was the meat.

> We'll be cooking it on our Weber, between 225 and 250 degrees, taking it
> off around 195 to 200 degrees internal temperature.

That sounds like a plan. Good luck.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Paul

In article >,
Paul > wrote:

> I'm cooking a 9 pound pork butt tomorrow. Some research on the web says
> it'll take 1.5 hours per pound. Is that accurate?
>
> We'll be cooking it on our Weber, between 225 and 250 degrees, taking it
> off around 195 to 200 degrees internal temperature.

The pork butt went on at 7 am, at 5 pm it's internal temperature was 200
degrees. So 10 hours total time, minus the 20 minutes or so where the
propane tank ran out and I didn't notice. Made a quick switch to
another propane tank.

The butt's resting now...but it felt really tender, the thermometer slid
in _very_ easily. Just like butter.

BTW, while we love our Weber Genesis Gold, our just-ordered Weber Smokey
Mountain should be here by Friday. We'll continue to use the Genesis
for grilling. We're anxious to learn about the WSM and plan on
following the directions here <http://www.wiviott.com/>.
jinym

Paul wrote:

> BTW, while we love our Weber Genesis Gold, our just-ordered Weber Smokey
> Mountain should be here by Friday. We'll continue to use the Genesis
> for grilling. We're anxious to learn about the WSM and plan on
> following the directions here <http://www.wiviott.com/>.

Yeah, that's a good site. Also check out
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ if you haven't already. The WSM is a
great unit, but the best use for the manual that comes with it is to
start a fire.

Jim

Paul

In article .com>,
"jinym" > wrote:

> Yeah, that's a good site. Also check out
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ if you haven't already. The WSM is a
> great unit, but the best use for the manual that comes with it is to
> start a fire.

LOL! Thanks for the tip, I've been on www.virtualweberbullet.com many
times. Great site! Current plan is to add the thermometer at the top
of the dome, knowing that it'll read about ten degrees higher than the
grate temperature. And we've ordered one of those nice Polder instant
read thermometers too, we'll be able to use it on the WSM, our Genesis,
or in the kitchen.

BTW, our pulled pork was fantastic! Just finished eating...now I'm
stuffed!

Gawd...how much would it cost to buy good pulled pork? $10 to $15 a
pound? We ended up with over nine pounds...we'll be enjoying it all
week long. The nine pounds would have to cost over $100, right?
Brick

On 12-Jun-2005, Paul > wrote:

> In article >,
> Paul > wrote:
>
> > I'm cooking a 9 pound pork butt tomorrow. Some research on the web says
> >
> > it'll take 1.5 hours per pound. Is that accurate?
> >
> > We'll be cooking it on our Weber, between 225 and 250 degrees, taking it
> >
> > off around 195 to 200 degrees internal temperature.

> The pork butt went on at 7 am, at 5 pm it's internal temperature was 200
> degrees. So 10 hours total time, minus the 20 minutes or so where the
> propane tank ran out and I didn't notice. Made a quick switch to
> another propane tank.
>
> The butt's resting now...but it felt really tender, the thermometer slid
> in _very_ easily. Just like butter.
>
> BTW, while we love our Weber Genesis Gold, our just-ordered Weber Smokey
> Mountain should be here by Friday. We'll continue to use the Genesis
> for grilling. We're anxious to learn about the WSM and plan on
> following the directions here <http://www.wiviott.com/>.

That's a good link for cooking information about the WSM. I've followed
Gary Wiviot's posts for several years. He does NOT post crappy
unfounded theories. He feeds real people who come back for more.

Be sure to check in at;

www.virtualweberbullet.com/

for the full unadulterated skinny on the Weber Smoker.
--
The Brick® said that ( Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak,
throats become dry, and they think irrationally

?? .....BECAUSE SHE SMELLS LIKE A NEW TRUCK )