Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default First Time Port Butt

wrote:
> First time smoking. Here's what I did.
>
> Used an offset barrel smoker
> 1 Port Butt (maybe a Picnic) 6 lbs.
> Cooked 7.5 hours
> Internal temp 195 F (Digital probe)
> Cherry wood and charcoal
>
> I left it alone and did not turn it or open the lid to check on it.
> Tried to keep the temp at 250-275.

Did you measure at the grate?

> It came out OK. I could pull the
> pork but it was not fall-off-the-bone pullable like I've seen others
> produce. Also, it was a bit dry for my taste. Good smoke flavor. The
> fatty areas were better. Also, the meat closer to the outside was more
> moist than further inside. On the plus side my daughter said it
> "Rocked" but I was a bit disappointed overall. Suggestions for
> improvement are appreciated.

-- Go for a lower cook temp, around 220F.
-- Forget about time. Although you can guestimate the length of time it
would take to cut a given cut of meat, the only thing that matters is the
actual internal temp.
-- Make sure you know how to properly check the internal temp of the meat. I
would shoot for 190F instead of 195F.
-- Check the internal temp in more than one location.
-- It sounds like your pit has definite hot spots, and that you overcooked
it on one side. Check the temperature range at the grate surface, at several
spots across the grate. Hot spots will require you to move the meat during
cooking so that even cooking occurs.
-- When you get tired of the offset, think about getting a WSM, which will
make bbq far more simple.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com