Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default First Time Port Butt

wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. Some one else I know suggested checking the
> probe by putting it in boiling water. Also, I didn't move the probe
> around which suggests I may have been in a hot part of the meat.
> Another friend of mine uses two probes which I'm beginning to think is
> not a bad idea. By the way, what's a WSM?

I prefer to test via ice water, which is the way most health districts
prefer. You don't need a bunch of probes once you have identified where your
hotspots are; they are going to remain hotspots each time you 'Q unless you
get your pit tuned and baffled to eliminate them. Just remember where the
hotspots are.

A WSM is the Weber Smokey Mountain:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

--