Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default 20lb. Lump Briquettes $2.99 @ HD

FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.
www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.

Rob
Q 4 All

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.
> www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.
>
> Rob
> Q 4 All

You got me all excited, but the don't ship up here yet. Mostly southern
states and Washington in the west.
You can find a map at http://www.originalcharcoal.com:80/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 30, 6:43 pm, "
> wrote:
> FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.
>
> Rob
> Q 4 All

Damn- so close, and yet so far! You could see the north-eastern
portion of the availability map where Ohio isn't! Hopefully soon,
though!

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JimnGin wrote:
> On May 30, 6:43 pm, "
> > wrote:
>> FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.
>>
>> Rob
>> Q 4 All

> Damn- so close, and yet so far! You could see the north-eastern
> portion of the availability map where Ohio isn't! Hopefully soon,
> though!
>
> JimnGin

*razzlefritz*! NY neither. :-(

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 31, 7:15 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 30 May 2007 15:43:02 -0700,
> wrote:
>
> > FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.
> >www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.

> So what are "lump briquettes"? Are they chopped pressed, spindled
> briquettes with fillers? The wesbsite is pretty vague.
>
> I notice they also have a "Instant Light Lump". Scary.
>
> -sw

Heh, it's description is "all natural, one of a kind Instant light
lump".
Mebbe it's a bag of dust?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
et...

> " > wrote in

message
> oups.com...
> > FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.
> > www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.
> >
> > Rob
> > Q 4 All

> You got me all excited, but the don't ship up here yet. Mostly southern
> states and Washington in the west.
> You can find a map at http://www.originalcharcoal.com:80/

Am I the only one who wonders how Washington is included? There's this big
contiguous group of states radiating from the southeast...and then
Washington state! Is there some sort of transportation wormhole from
Missouri to Washington that I don't know about?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 30 May 2007 15:43:02 -0700,
> wrote:
>
>> FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.

www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.

> So what are "lump briquettes"? Are they chopped pressed, spindled
> briquettes with fillers? The wesbsite is pretty vague.

I had exactly the same reaction. What are those things?

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 31, 7:15 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 30 May 2007 15:43:02 -0700,
> wrote:
>
> > FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.
> >www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.

> So what are "lump briquettes"? Are they chopped pressed, spindled
> briquettes with fillers? The wesbsite is pretty vague.
>
> I notice they also have a "Instant Light Lump". Scary.
>
> -sw

Heh, it's description is "all natural, one of a kind Instant light
lump".
Mebbe it's a bag of dust?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2007 10:36:09 -0500, "Anon" >
> wrote:
>
> > Am I the only one who wonders how Washington is included? There's
> > this big contiguous group of states radiating from the
> > southeast...and then Washington state! Is there some sort of
> > transportation wormhole from Missouri to Washington that I don't
> > know about?

> Yes--but we keep it secret from outsiders.

Boeing had it installed.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 31 May 2007 09:15:28 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On 30 May 2007 15:43:02 -0700,
>wrote:
>
>> FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.

www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.

>So what are "lump briquettes"? Are they chopped pressed, spindled
>briquettes with fillers? The wesbsite is pretty vague.
>
>I notice they also have a "Instant Light Lump". Scary.
>
>-sw

I bought some of the "Rancher, 100% All Natural Hardwood Charcoal
Briquettes" ( NOT the instant light stuff) from Home Depot last
weekend. $2.99 for 20# is a good price. I've grilled with it three
times this week and it really didn't perform any better or worse than
Kingsford, maybe a little less ash.

The bag says it's the equivalent of 30 something pounds of regular
briquettes. I'm going to do a smoke Sunday and will try them, using
1/3 less.

At least it's cheap. I put 10 bags of it away for hurricane season.
_____________________________________

Bkhuna

http://www.lp.org
http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bkhuna wrote:

Oops. This being a text-only ng, I bet you were trying to post this on ABF?
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 11:59:16 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Bkhuna wrote:
>
>Oops. This being a text-only ng, I bet you were trying to post this on ABF?

Oops is right, I didn't even think about that. Sorry. Won't happen
again.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bkhuna wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 11:59:16 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>> Bkhuna wrote:
>>
>> Oops. This being a text-only ng, I bet you were trying to post this
>> on ABF?

> Oops is right, I didn't even think about that. Sorry. Won't happen
> again.

No worries, it happens.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Bkhuna wrote:
>
> Oops. This being a text-only ng, I bet you were trying to post this on

ABF?
> --

Hey, it was a picture of text! ;-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 17:57:52 -0500, "Anon" >
wrote:

>"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Bkhuna wrote:
>>
>> Oops. This being a text-only ng, I bet you were trying to post this on

>ABF?
>> --

>Hey, it was a picture of text! ;-)

I feel much better now

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bkhuna" > wrote in message

> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 17:57:52 -0500, "Anon" >
> wrote:
>
> > "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> > > Bkhuna wrote:
> > >
> > > Oops. This being a text-only ng, I bet you were trying to post
> > > this on ABF? --

> > Hey, it was a picture of text! ;-)

> I feel much better now

Well, I will thank you for saving me the trouble of typing out the lable. I
had just gone out to get one and type it out when I saw your post.
;-)

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.
> www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.
>
> Rob
> Q 4 All

just bought 40 bags---good stuff for the price!! Sometimes the consistency
of briq. is darn nice in the cooker

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Original Charcoal Co. 20lb. Lump Briquettes at HD

My local HD (Fairfield, CA) has these now, 20lbs for $4.99
(sitting next to Kingsford briquettes, 42lbs for $12 and change).

One the Original Charcoal Co. bag, it says that the briquettes
are made from hardwood lump and yucca starch. These, in fact,
appear to be 100% vegetable lump-based briquettes, something
I'd only read about before and have wanted to try since.

The bag claims it's equivalent to 34lbs of "coal dust"
briquettes, probably because of the lack of uncombustable
filler. I bought 4 bags to test for both grilling and
smoking, I'll report back.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Buzz1 wrote:
> " > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> FWIW: I went in for three bags. The outfit (Original Charcoal Co.
>> www.originalcharcoal.com) just hooked up with HD.
>>
>> Rob
>> Q 4 All
>>

> just bought 40 bags---good stuff for the price!! Sometimes the consistency
> of briq. is darn nice in the cooker

I like big pieces of lump for long cooks, but there's something
nice about being able to toss fuel in and have it catch fire
pretty quickly like the smaller briquettes ought to.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message

> My local HD (Fairfield, CA) has these now, 20lbs for $4.99
> (sitting next to Kingsford briquettes, 42lbs for $12 and change).
>
> One the Original Charcoal Co. bag, it says that the briquettes
> are made from hardwood lump and yucca starch. These, in fact,
> appear to be 100% vegetable lump-based briquettes, something
> I'd only read about before and have wanted to try since.
>
> The bag claims it's equivalent to 34lbs of "coal dust"
> briquettes, probably because of the lack of uncombustable
> filler. I bought 4 bags to test for both grilling and
> smoking, I'll report back.
>
> Dana

even than Royal Oak briquettes.
In my Stump's the ash from 20 pounds is about the same as the ash from lump
charcoal.
I bought 25 bags @ the sale price last weekend. I'll be filling up my
storage area.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:

>> The bag claims it's equivalent to 34lbs of "coal dust"
>> briquettes, probably because of the lack of uncombustable
>> filler. I bought 4 bags to test for both grilling and
>> smoking, I'll report back.
>>
>> Dana

> Better even than Royal Oak briquettes.
> In my Stump's the ash from 20 pounds is about the same as the ash
> from lump charcoal.
> I bought 25 bags @ the sale price last weekend. I'll be filling up my
> storage area.

Just based on grilling some salmon and veggies for dinner
tonight, I have to agree, this is excellent stuff. It cooks
like lump, leaves about the same (small) amount of ash that
lump does. I will have to get some more; I'm going to try
using it in the offset for ribs this week.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:39:48 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
om
>> My local HD (Fairfield, CA) has these now, 20lbs for $4.99
>> (sitting next to Kingsford briquettes, 42lbs for $12 and change).
>>
>> One the Original Charcoal Co. bag, it says that the briquettes
>> are made from hardwood lump and yucca starch. These, in fact,
>> appear to be 100% vegetable lump-based briquettes, something
>> I'd only read about before and have wanted to try since.
>>
>> The bag claims it's equivalent to 34lbs of "coal dust"
>> briquettes, probably because of the lack of uncombustable
>> filler. I bought 4 bags to test for both grilling and
>> smoking, I'll report back.
>>
>> Dana

>even than Royal Oak briquettes.
>In my Stump's the ash from 20 pounds is about the same as the ash from lump
>charcoal.
>I bought 25 bags @ the sale price last weekend. I'll be filling up my
>storage area.
>
>BOB

Lucky you. I went to my local HD yesterday and saw two bags. There
was no price so I asked. I was told they were from the holiday
promotion and had been discontinued. These were the last two bags and
they me both for $1.00.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10-Jun-2007, Larry > wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:39:48 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> >"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> om
> >> My local HD (Fairfield, CA) has these now, 20lbs for $4.99
> >> (sitting next to Kingsford briquettes, 42lbs for $12 and change).
> >>
> >> One the Original Charcoal Co. bag, it says that the briquettes
> >> are made from hardwood lump and yucca starch. These, in fact,
> >> appear to be 100% vegetable lump-based briquettes, something
> >> I'd only read about before and have wanted to try since.
> >>
> >> The bag claims it's equivalent to 34lbs of "coal dust"
> >> briquettes, probably because of the lack of uncombustable
> >> filler. I bought 4 bags to test for both grilling and
> >> smoking, I'll report back.
> >>
> >> Dana

> >even than Royal Oak briquettes.
> >In my Stump's the ash from 20 pounds is about the same as the ash from lump
> >charcoal.
> >I bought 25 bags @ the sale price last weekend. I'll be filling up my
> >storage area.
> >
> >BOB
> >

> Lucky you. I went to my local HD yesterday and saw two bags. There
> was no price so I asked. I was told they were from the holiday
> promotion and had been discontinued. These were the last two bags and
> they me both for $1.00.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I hit my local HD this morning and copped
ten bags @$4.99. They have at least the better part of a pallet left. I'm
thinking of going back for another ten this afternoon. $53.40 with tax for
200/lbs or 26.7¢/lb. There is some Kingsford lump locally for 53¢/lb so
this deal is hard to beat if it isn't some real poor shit.

--
Brick(running out of storage room)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

<hrbricker wrote
> Thanks for the heads up guys. I hit my local HD this morning and copped
> ten bags @$4.99. They have at least the better part of a pallet left. I'm
> thinking of going back for another ten this afternoon. $53.40 with tax for
> 200/lbs or 26.7¢/lb. There is some Kingsford lump locally for 53¢/lb so
> this deal is hard to beat if it isn't some real poor shit.

Like I said, it's briquettes. It's good briquettes, though. Very little
ash, slightly more than the same weight of lump. Burns clean, with a slight
smoke smell, but a good taste on the food.

Two Home Despots around here are out. I need to check on a couple more 'til
I run out of storage space, too.

BOB
24 + hours on 20 pounds in my Stump's @ 250 to 350 with this stuff

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 10, 6:11 pm, " BOB" > wrote:

> Two Home Despots around here are out. I need to check on a couple more 'til
> I run out of storage space, too.

Updatin' an old thread here - I just bought a couple bags at 4.99ea in
Salem MA. Seems like they had a lot of the stuff.

--mike (back to lurking)