Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbricker@verizonDOT.net is offline

Default Original Charcoal Co. 20lb. Lump Briquettes at HD

On 10-Jun-2007, Larry > wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:39:48 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> >"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> om
> >> My local HD (Fairfield, CA) has these now, 20lbs for $4.99
> >> (sitting next to Kingsford briquettes, 42lbs for $12 and change).
> >>
> >> One the Original Charcoal Co. bag, it says that the briquettes
> >> are made from hardwood lump and yucca starch. These, in fact,
> >> appear to be 100% vegetable lump-based briquettes, something
> >> I'd only read about before and have wanted to try since.
> >>
> >> The bag claims it's equivalent to 34lbs of "coal dust"
> >> briquettes, probably because of the lack of uncombustable
> >> filler. I bought 4 bags to test for both grilling and
> >> smoking, I'll report back.
> >>
> >> Dana

> >even than Royal Oak briquettes.
> >In my Stump's the ash from 20 pounds is about the same as the ash from lump
> >charcoal.
> >I bought 25 bags @ the sale price last weekend. I'll be filling up my
> >storage area.
> >
> >BOB
> >

> Lucky you. I went to my local HD yesterday and saw two bags. There
> was no price so I asked. I was told they were from the holiday
> promotion and had been discontinued. These were the last two bags and
> they me both for $1.00.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I hit my local HD this morning and copped
ten bags @$4.99. They have at least the better part of a pallet left. I'm
thinking of going back for another ten this afternoon. $53.40 with tax for
200/lbs or 26.7¢/lb. There is some Kingsford lump locally for 53¢/lb so
this deal is hard to beat if it isn't some real poor shit.

--
Brick(running out of storage room)