Old 26-05-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Problem with my apple pie: please help

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
. net...
"Mordechai Housman" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I will have to look at some kosher cookbooks to see what I can
substitute for this fat thing. Mostly likely it will be margarine,
which we tend to use a lot for such things.

I'm assuming you have access to parve margarine, which sometimes is
hard to find. But if you have a kosher home, you're used to knowing
which brands are available where.

I think Crisco really is the solution here. When Crisco was invented,
it meant that MOTs could finally eat pie.

I don't recall ever seeing a non-dairy margarine. Here in the Jewish
neighborhoods, where all the stores are kosher, even the ones selling
drapes, getting parve kosher margarine won't be a problem.

By the way, what does "MOT" mean?

Old 26-05-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.baking

By the way, what does "MOT" mean?

Member Of the Tribe.

I am a little confused by your statement that you've never seen a
non-dairy margarine, and then you state that getting a parve margarine
isn't a problem. I wonder if there's a problem with a double negative.
Where I live, you have to hunt a bit to find parve margarine -- most of
it is Kosher Dairy.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

Old 26-05-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.baking

"Claire" wrote in message
ups.com...

By the way, what does "MOT" mean?

Member Of the Tribe.

I am a little confused by your statement that you've never seen a
non-dairy margarine, and then you state that getting a parve margarine
isn't a problem. I wonder if there's a problem with a double negative.
Where I live, you have to hunt a bit to find parve margarine -- most
of
it is Kosher Dairy.

Oops! I meant that I have never seen a DAIRY margarine.

But actually, I HAVE seen (and used) a product that is a margarine and
butter blend. Perhaps that's what you meant?

Old 27-05-2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.baking

"Mordechai Housman" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Claire" wrote in message
ups.com...

Oops! I meant that I have never seen a DAIRY margarine.

But actually, I HAVE seen (and used) a product that is a margarine and
butter blend. Perhaps that's what you meant?

No, I mean margarines that have some dairy in them such that they get the
Dairy mark, even though they are labelled margarine. Examples of brands
include: Land O'Lakes, Blue Bonnet, Fleischmann's, Lady Lee, Imperial,
Western Family. In fact, I think there's more with some dairy in than not.
You have to look at the labels pretty carefully. I don't keep a kosher home,
but there's times when I've used the local JCC kitchen, and they
understandably would like those who use it to follow the rules.

Old 28-05-2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.food.baking

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
t...
"Mordechai Housman" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Claire" wrote in message
ups.com...

Oops! I meant that I have never seen a DAIRY margarine.

But actually, I HAVE seen (and used) a product that is a margarine
and butter blend. Perhaps that's what you meant?

No, I mean margarines that have some dairy in them such that they get
the Dairy mark, even though they are labelled margarine. Examples of
brands include: Land O'Lakes, Blue Bonnet, Fleischmann's, Lady Lee,
Imperial, Western Family. In fact, I think there's more with some
dairy in than not. You have to look at the labels pretty carefully. I
don't keep a kosher home, but there's times when I've used the local
JCC kitchen, and they understandably would like those who use it to
follow the rules.

Ah, I see what you mean. And it's so hard to find non-dairy margarines?
Wow. I didn't know that. I thought non-dairy margarine was the norm! I
guess it's more of a specialty item. Interesting.

Old 31-05-2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.food.baking
S H S H is offline

this is perfect , only I always add a few drops of vanila and drizzle
honey on top before the cut goes on. a gb of butter on top too.
I want to add that the type ofapple varies. some bake down to a sauce ,
while another ill be hard wen cooked. a nice choce is a mix of
macintosh, granny smith and cortland or jonared. mot are readily
available. and juciness is mor in he fall than afer a6 month cooelr
storage. but all are good.
I hae a recipe that that makes a filling just like the canned but
makes a lot. feel fee to email if you'd like it. but this one is a good
one o gave. Steve

Old 02-06-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Try this

Apple Crumb Pie
From Dusty Rhodes recipe collection
This recipe may be doubled
Oven 400 F
6 or 7 tart apples (Granny Smith)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoons Minute Tapioca
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon Fruit Fresh (optional)
1 9 inch deepdish pie crust

Pare apples and slice thin. Combine sugar, tapioca, spices, fruit fresh
in large bowl and mix well. Let mixture stand while you prepare crumb
topping

Crumb Topping

cup sugar
cup flour
1/3 cup butter
A pieces of stiff paper or cardboard

Mix sugar and flour; cut in butter till well mixed and crumbly.

Putting it all together

Fill deep dish piecrust with apple mixture and juices.
Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the apples using the paper/cardboard to
keep the crumbs from rolling off the pie.
Bake in hot oven (400 F) 40 to 50 minutes or till done. Cool. Spoon
whipped topping or ice cream atop; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:29 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Mordechai Housman wrote:
I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way
my mother used to make it.

It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.

My problem is with the filling. I use:

Two or three fresh apples
Apple pie filling from a can
Sugar
Corn starch.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mordechai Housman

Regardless of the crust that you use, try mastering the filling first.
Most people ignore the crust. My husband is a filling fan. He sets the
crust aside.

I use a combination of two types of apples-- granny smith apples and
fuji apples.

Try the following filling recipe...

1 3/4 lbs. fuji apples, cored, peeled and sliced in eighths
1 3/4 lbs. granny smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced in eighths
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and transfer to your pie
crust. Bake acording to the crust package directions.

NOTE: You can try making an Apple Crisp rather that A pie. It is simply
the filling with a crumb topping, no bottom crust.

If you want to try a crisp, make the following topping and top the
apple mixture in an oven safe dish and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hrs.

Crisp topping

1/2 unsalted butter, chilled
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups flour

Cube the cold butter into small pieces. In a bowl gently toss together
the butter, brown sugar, salt and flour. Do not overblend. Top apple
mixture and bake.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.food.baking

In my home made recipe for apple pie after I fill the pie shell with
the apple mixture I dot the top with cut up butter pieces and I get
just enough liquid

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2006, 04:59 AM posted to rec.food.baking

My problem now is that I have too shallow a pie dish (or whatever it's
called), and the liquid keeps dripping over the sides. I'll have to
either buy a new dish, or use fewer apples.

ups.com...

Old 14-06-2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 05 Jun 2006 08:59:08p, Mordechai Housman meant to say...

My problem now is that I have too shallow a pie dish (or whatever it's
called), and the liquid keeps dripping over the sides. I'll have to
either buy a new dish, or use fewer apples.

Mordechai, this is the type I prefer. It holds the juices in...

http://tinyurl.com/h5bvy

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 24-06-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.baking

I always use the Betty Crocker Apple Pie recipe, but I usually mix the types
of apples I use. Some cook down faster than others, while other types hold
their shape better.
I would guess your mother used McIntosh apples, which tend to be juicy and
cook down fast. They will lose their shape though if you cook the pie too
long.
Also, using your mother's recipe, try leaving out the cornstarch.
If you are bothering to use a few fresh apples, you might as well use all
fresh apples for the pie instead of the canned apples, which tend to be hard
and pasty.
Those would be my suggestions.
pfoley