Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sitara's Fresh Apple Cake Problem

Mags, Sitara? I made your FA-cake (subject) for the first time on
Sunday. My Marines and I absolutely loved it. Their comments were
such as "We tasted Thanksgiving, Christmas, every Holiday! Make it
again, Miss Jeanine, every month. I thought about and waited for a
next day second piece all night long!" And that from a WM (woman
Marine) who chooses to live off-base so she can cook, and whose mother
three hours away makes extra Posole just for me on weekends she makes
it for daughter's visit.

Question, though. I made the recipe as written, but for doubling the
vanilla and cinnamon, upping the coconut to 3/4 cup and I used two
Granny Smith and one Red Delicious apple (all cored as well as
peeled). The recipe is definately a keeper to make again and again,
but it tends to crumble excessively when cut. Also, my cake flour age
was probably past best use time.

I expected the cake to be rather dense and the cut not to be cause for
curmble. Can something be changed, or did my changed cause the
probolem?

Again, thanks ever so for a delicious addition to my favorites!
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 20, 7:02*pm, JeanineAlyse > wrote:
> Mags, Sitara? *I made your FA-cake (subject) for the first time on
> Sunday. *My Marines and I absolutely loved it. *Their comments were
> such as "We tasted Thanksgiving, Christmas, every Holiday! *Make it
> again, Miss Jeanine, every month. *I thought about and waited for a
> next day second piece all night long!" *And that from a WM (woman
> Marine) who chooses to live off-base so she can cook, and whose mother
> three hours away makes extra Posole just for me on weekends she makes
> it for daughter's visit.
>
> Question, though. *I made the recipe as written, but for doubling the
> vanilla and cinnamon, upping the coconut to 3/4 cup and I used two
> Granny Smith and one Red Delicious apple (all cored as well as
> peeled). *The recipe is definately a keeper to make again and again,
> but it tends to crumble excessively when cut. *Also, my cake flour age
> was probably past best use time.
>
> I expected the cake to be rather dense and the cut not to be cause for
> curmble. *Can something be changed, or did my changed cause the
> probolem?
>
> Again, thanks ever so for a delicious addition to my favorites!
> ...Picky

Here's my favorite - it's yummy and it doesn't crumble. You can dust
with powdered sugar or frost with cream cheese frosting or with
caramel or brown-sugar-butter frosting.

Mom's Apple Cake

4 C. diced peeled apples (my crank-handled apple-peeler gizmo makes
quick work of dicing the apples)
2 C. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 C. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine apples and sugar for 30 minutes. Beat eggs slightly. Add oil
and
vanilla. Mix and sift dry ingredients. Stir alternately with apple/
sugar
mixture into liquids. Bake in 9 x 13 loaf pan at 350 deg. F. for 1
hour.
When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar or frost with butter-cream
frosting.
Serves 12-15.

N.

Hizzoners Fresh Apple Cake Today! JeanineAlyse General Cooking 8 07-03-2012 12:08 AM
Crockpot Fresh Apple Coffee Cake Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 12-10-2006 12:40 PM
Fresh Apple Cake from Georgia Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 10-03-2006 11:11 AM
Fresh Apple Cake Tim Recipes 0 05-07-2005 03:12 AM
Fresh Apple Cake with Rose Geranium Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 15-03-2005 12:33 PM