Posted to rec.food.baking
[email protected] acalderon@cox.net is offline

Default Problem with my apple pie: please help

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> I have been making simple apple pie, and I can't seem to get it the way
> my mother used to make it.
>
> It always comes out to dry. My mother's apple pie used to have some
> delicious liquid with it, and I can't figure out how to do it.
>
> My problem is with the filling. I use:
>
> Two or three fresh apples
> Apple pie filling from a can
> Sugar
> Corn starch.
>
> What might I be doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Mordechai Housman

Regardless of the crust that you use, try mastering the filling first.
Most people ignore the crust. My husband is a filling fan. He sets the
crust aside.

I use a combination of two types of apples-- granny smith apples and
fuji apples.

Try the following filling recipe...

1 3/4 lbs. fuji apples, cored, peeled and sliced in eighths
1 3/4 lbs. granny smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced in eighths
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and transfer to your pie
crust. Bake acording to the crust package directions.

NOTE: You can try making an Apple Crisp rather that A pie. It is simply
the filling with a crumb topping, no bottom crust.

If you want to try a crisp, make the following topping and top the
apple mixture in an oven safe dish and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hrs.

Crisp topping

1/2 unsalted butter, chilled
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups flour

Cube the cold butter into small pieces. In a bowl gently toss together
the butter, brown sugar, salt and flour. Do not overblend. Top apple
mixture and bake.