william6969

Default biscuits

Do anyone have a full proof fluffily biscuit recipe

Vox Humana

"william6969" > wrote in message
> Do anyone have a full proof fluffily biscuit recipe

Biscuits are 90% technique and 10% formula.

Vox Humana

"william6969" > wrote in message
> Do anyone have a full proof fluffily biscuit recipe

Here is a good recipe:
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org..._biscuits.html

J@mes

Pre heat oven to 400°
1 cup Flour, regular old flour.
1 tbl butter, shortning, or manteca (lard) per cup
1tsp (level) baking powder per cup

So, what ever, how many...
A shortning cutter... that's a thing that you get at wal*mart or bed bath
and beyond or something

or put a quarter of the flour in a food processor with the shortning and hit
the button a couple of times
put the flour/shortning in the rest of the flour. put the baking powder in
the mix. whisk the dry mix. add some milk, half a cup per cup of flour.
mix with a fork or spoon.
The mix SHOULD be good. if it's too wet add flour, if it's too dry add more
milk. with floured hands, on a floured board fold, once or twice mash. fold
once or twice mash... Roll out to about 5/8 in. thick. I have biscut
cutters sombody gave me, but more often than not, I just use a large glass
to cut the biscuts. throw'em on a baking sheet putt'em in the oven for 10
min.

This will make good (Excellent) biscuts. I live at 5428' elevation. the
recipe needs to be made several times to get it perfect.

Mike Avery

J@mes wrote:

>The mix SHOULD be good. if it's too wet add flour, if it's too dry add more
>milk.

In general, wetter is better. If your biscuits don't rise well, it's probably because you added too much flour. A friend raved about her mother's biscuits being awesome. We went to visit her parents, and the biscuits were awesome. Lighter, fluffier, tastier than I'd ever had before. I praised her mom's biscuits and mom spoke up, "Oh, these aren't much. I used a mix. I got tired of doing all that work, I have enough to do! I use either Bisquick or Pioneer - they're both OK. Most folks don't add enough liquid, so they can't rise right."

I added more liquid the next time, and sure enough, they rose better.

And that worked with a regular recipe too.

Here are two of my favorites...
-Begin Recipe Export- QBook version 1.00.14

Title: Home Economics Biscuits

Home Economics Biscuits

It is hard to imagine a breakfast better than Fried Quail,
Quail gravy, and these biscuits. These biscuits are very
light, tasty, and have never failed me yet, even if the
recipe did come from a Home Economics course. (The only
change has been to get away from the original recipes
insistence on all-purpose, enriched, bleached white flour.
There are endless nutrional debates on the subject, but I
feel the unbleached product just tastes and handles better.)

INGREDIENT LIST

2 cups of all-purpose unbleached white flour,
1 TBSP baking powder,
1 tsp salt,
4 TBSP fat (Crisco, and etc.),
3/4 cup milk.

INSTRUCTIONS

Sift:
2 cups of flour.

I reccomend white unbleached flour, although I have used
whole wheat pastry, all-purpose bleached white, or bakers
flours with success. Resift with:
1 TBSP baking powder, and
1 tsp salt.

Cut in:
4 TBSP fat (Crisco, etc.)

with a fork or pastry knife, until the mixture resembles
coarse corn meal. Stir in:
3/4 cup milk

with a fork to make a soft dough. (If the dough is made
slightly more liquid the biscuits will rise higher and be a
bit lighter. I have used as much as a cup of milk. This is
a matter of preference, so experiment a bit.) Turn out onto
a floured board and knead for 1/2 minute. Roll or pat out
to 1/2 thick, cut and place on an ungreased sheet. Bake 10
minutes in a 450 F oven (or until nicely golden brown).

-End Recipe Export- From the kitchen of Mike Avery )
-Begin Recipe Export- QBook version 1.00.14

Title: Buttermilk Biscuits (Joy Of Cooking)

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (cake flour may be used)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp double acting baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 lard or 5 TBSP butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

Instructions:

Because of the buttermilk, this recipe has a very tender dough.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Sift and measu
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (cake flour may be used).

Re-sift with:
1/2 tsp salt,
2 tsp double acting baking powder,
1 tsp sugar, and
1/2 tsp baking soda.

With two knives, a fork, or a pastry blender, cut in:
1/4 lard or 5 TBSP butter.

Add and LIGHTLY mix:
3/4 cup buttermilk.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead it gently for 1/2
minute. Pat the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter
or jelly jar. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

-End Recipe Export- From the kitchen of Mike Avery )

Enjoy!
Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvaldis claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
home baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM mavery81230
wordsmith Yahoo mavery81230

Chuck

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:58:30 -0700, "william6969"
> wrote:

>Do anyone have a full proof fluffily biscuit recipe

My biscuit making is/was hit and miss for no reason that I could find.
I could make 3 batches the same, from same bag of flour, same
temperatures etc and one batch would be great, the other two just
eatable..

If you want it to be REALY fool proof...

I now use frozen biscuit dough and focus my efforts on the rest of the
meal. Try different brands... these are not the same as "canned
biscuit dough"
You cook them while still frozen, and can cook exactly as many as you
need. Using parchment paper is a must for the brand I use..
You would never suspect these were not made from scratch.

My biggest problem with home made biscuits is timing the rest of the
meal to be done when the biscuits are..
(well.. that problem effects ALL my cooking)
Cold food, overdone food.. I don't see how grandma' did it all..and
without a measuring cup..
Chuck

Vox Humana

"Chuck" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:58:30 -0700, "william6969"
> > wrote:
>
> >Do anyone have a full proof fluffily biscuit recipe
> >

> My biscuit making is/was hit and miss for no reason that I could find.
> I could make 3 batches the same, from same bag of flour, same
> temperatures etc and one batch would be great, the other two just
> eatable..
>
> If you want it to be REALY fool proof...
>
> I now use frozen biscuit dough and focus my efforts on the rest of the
> meal. Try different brands... these are not the same as "canned
> biscuit dough"
> You cook them while still frozen, and can cook exactly as many as you
> need. Using parchment paper is a must for the brand I use..
> You would never suspect these were not made from scratch.
>
> My biggest problem with home made biscuits is timing the rest of the
> meal to be done when the biscuits are..
> (well.. that problem effects ALL my cooking)
> Cold food, overdone food.. I don't see how grandma' did it all..and
> without a measuring cup..
> Chuck

Like I said before, biscuits are mostly technique. You won't improve your
technique by using frozen dough. If that's what you like, then so be it but
I can't see recommending that choice for people who post on a newsgroup
about baking.

Biscuits take about 5 minutes to make and another 10-15 minutes to bake.
Therefore, you start making them about 20 minutes before you want to serve
them. While they are best if you can put them right into the oven after
making them, with the use of double acting baking power, you can park them
for a short time before baking them if need be.

Chuck

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:02:40 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"Chuck" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:58:30 -0700, "william6969"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Do anyone have a full proof fluffily biscuit recipe
>> >

>> My biscuit making is/was hit and miss for no reason that I could find.
>> I could make 3 batches the same, from same bag of flour, same
>> temperatures etc and one batch would be great, the other two just
>> eatable..
>>
>> If you want it to be REALY fool proof...
>>
>> I now use frozen biscuit dough and focus my efforts on the rest of the
>> meal. Try different brands... these are not the same as "canned
>> biscuit dough"
>> You cook them while still frozen, and can cook exactly as many as you
>> need. Using parchment paper is a must for the brand I use..
>> You would never suspect these were not made from scratch.
>>
>> My biggest problem with home made biscuits is timing the rest of the
>> meal to be done when the biscuits are..
>> (well.. that problem effects ALL my cooking)
>> Cold food, overdone food.. I don't see how grandma' did it all..and
>> without a measuring cup..
>> Chuck

>Like I said before, biscuits are mostly technique. You won't improve your
>technique by using frozen dough. If that's what you like, then so be it but
>I can't see recommending that choice for people who post on a newsgroup
>about baking.

I stand corrected... and no one should ever mention "store bought"
filo dough on here either...

>Biscuits take about 5 minutes to make and another 10-15 minutes to bake.
>Therefore, you start making them about 20 minutes before you want to serve
>them. While they are best if you can put them right into the oven after
>making them, with the use of double acting baking power, you can park them
>for a short time before baking them if need be.

I'm just jealous of those (like my grandmother) who can make them by
the look or feel of the dough as to what needs to be added.. and never
have a bad batch..
She did have the benefit or curse of having to make them almost every
day... I've never practiced that much.. Just made them till I got it
right a few times to prove I could.. then quit. I was on a strict diet
at the time..
Vox Humana

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:02:40 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> >
> >Like I said before, biscuits are mostly technique. You won't improve

your
> >technique by using frozen dough. If that's what you like, then so be it

but
> >I can't see recommending that choice for people who post on a newsgroup
> >about baking.

> I stand corrected... and no one should ever mention "store bought"
> filo dough on here either...

These are not even remotely comparable items. One is a complex, time
consuming process that is so unlikely to be used frequently that most people
would never become accomplished in the technique. Making filo dough is
something I did once just for the experience. Biscuits can be produced in
a couple of minutes once you learn a few basic principles. I scarcely
measure when I make them, which I do quite often.

> I'm just jealous of those (like my grandmother) who can make them by
> the look or feel of the dough as to what needs to be added.. and never
> have a bad batch..
> She did have the benefit or curse of having to make them almost every
> day... I've never practiced that much.. Just made them till I got it
> right a few times to prove I could.. then quit. I was on a strict diet
> at the time..

Your grandmother probably produced a few batches of sinkers on the way to
perfection.

Ward Abbott

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:18:29 GMT, Chuck > wrote:

>I'm just jealous of those (like my grandmother) who can make them by
>the look or feel of the dough as to what needs to be added.. and never
>have a bad batch..

Unfortunnately, when we are two in the house for breakfast...I would
probably be around 500 pounds by now practicing! <VBG>

I make a pretty good buiscut....but no longer. The frozen biscuits in
the blue bag are very good as are their frozen dinner rolls. I don't
think this is bad since many fine restaurants are serving frozen
product and processed product. Many don't know how to make filo, puff
pastry, etc.

The best thing about dating a homeless person is that
at the end of the date, you can drop them off anywhere.

Nobody but us chickens

Vox Humana

"Nobody but us chickens" > wrote in message
> [...]

Should that 2 teaspoons of baking powder have been 2 teaspoons of baking
soda?

Nobody but us chickens

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Nobody but us chickens" > wrote in message

no, it says 3 teaspons baking powder. just double checked

Ward Abbott

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:59:10 GMT, "Nobody but us chickens"
> wrote:

>> > (i remember not having buttermilk so i did the vinegar in milk thing)
>> >

>> Should that 2 teaspoons of baking powder have been 2 teaspoons of baking
>> soda?
>>

>no, it says 3 teaspons baking powder. just double checked

Mixing vinegar with milk just gives you "soured" milk...not
buttermilk. Don't skip the buttermilk if you are making biscuits.
The flavor is essential.

Also....I find that every baked product with buttermilk also has
baking soda included. The buttermilk needs the soda to react.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Classic Biscuits

breads

2 cup self rising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 oz shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 450F.

Cut shortening into dry mixture with a blender. Add buttermilk and
stir until combined.

Knead 15 times on floured board. Add more flour if too damp. Roll
out and cut biscuits. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Brush tops with melted butter after removal from oven.

Yield: 8 servings