Mike Avery

J@mes wrote:

>The mix SHOULD be good. if it's too wet add flour, if it's too dry add more
>milk.

In general, wetter is better. If your biscuits don't rise well, it's probably because you added too much flour. A friend raved about her mother's biscuits being awesome. We went to visit her parents, and the biscuits were awesome. Lighter, fluffier, tastier than I'd ever had before. I praised her mom's biscuits and mom spoke up, "Oh, these aren't much. I used a mix. I got tired of doing all that work, I have enough to do! I use either Bisquick or Pioneer - they're both OK. Most folks don't add enough liquid, so they can't rise right."

I added more liquid the next time, and sure enough, they rose better.

And that worked with a regular recipe too.

Here are two of my favorites...
-Begin Recipe Export- QBook version 1.00.14

Title: Home Economics Biscuits

Home Economics Biscuits

It is hard to imagine a breakfast better than Fried Quail,
Quail gravy, and these biscuits. These biscuits are very
light, tasty, and have never failed me yet, even if the
recipe did come from a Home Economics course. (The only
change has been to get away from the original recipes
insistence on all-purpose, enriched, bleached white flour.
There are endless nutrional debates on the subject, but I
feel the unbleached product just tastes and handles better.)

INGREDIENT LIST

2 cups of all-purpose unbleached white flour,
1 TBSP baking powder,
1 tsp salt,
4 TBSP fat (Crisco, and etc.),
3/4 cup milk.

INSTRUCTIONS

Sift:
2 cups of flour.

I reccomend white unbleached flour, although I have used
whole wheat pastry, all-purpose bleached white, or bakers
flours with success. Resift with:
1 TBSP baking powder, and
1 tsp salt.

Cut in:
4 TBSP fat (Crisco, etc.)

with a fork or pastry knife, until the mixture resembles
coarse corn meal. Stir in:
3/4 cup milk

with a fork to make a soft dough. (If the dough is made
slightly more liquid the biscuits will rise higher and be a
bit lighter. I have used as much as a cup of milk. This is
a matter of preference, so experiment a bit.) Turn out onto
a floured board and knead for 1/2 minute. Roll or pat out
to 1/2 thick, cut and place on an ungreased sheet. Bake 10
minutes in a 450 F oven (or until nicely golden brown).

-End Recipe Export- From the kitchen of Mike Avery )
-Begin Recipe Export- QBook version 1.00.14

Title: Buttermilk Biscuits (Joy Of Cooking)

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (cake flour may be used)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp double acting baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 lard or 5 TBSP butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

Instructions:

Because of the buttermilk, this recipe has a very tender dough.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Sift and measu
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (cake flour may be used).

Re-sift with:
1/2 tsp salt,
2 tsp double acting baking powder,
1 tsp sugar, and
1/2 tsp baking soda.

With two knives, a fork, or a pastry blender, cut in:
1/4 lard or 5 TBSP butter.

Add and LIGHTLY mix:
3/4 cup buttermilk.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board. Knead it gently for 1/2
minute. Pat the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter
or jelly jar. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

-End Recipe Export- From the kitchen of Mike Avery )

Enjoy!
Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvaldis claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
home baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM mavery81230
wordsmith Yahoo mavery81230