Anny Middon

Default Biscotti problem

Before Christmas I made a biscotti recipe from the booklet that came with my
new Cuisinart food processor. The resulting cookies (these were the
twice-baked "dunker" style of biscotti) had great flavor and texture, but
when I sliced the baked log it fell apart somewhat, leaving me with quite a
few broken cookies. I baked them anyway, but it was a bit disappointing.

A couple of weeks ago, I made two other biscotti recipes, again using my
food processor to mix the dough. Again I had problems with them crumbling
when I cut the logs of baked dough.

Is it mixing the dough with my food processor that is causing the problem?
Or is it something else -- not baking the logs long enough or not letting
them cool enough before slicing?

I followed the recipes in terms of ingredients, baking times, and cooling
times. I'll be happy to post the recipes I used if need be.

Anny

lisa flack

Hi, I am by no means "an expert" at biscotti, but my guess is that they are
not cooled enough before slicing causing them to crumble. Below is a recipe
for Brownie Biscotti. It is so easy, but it tastes so great.
1 box (1 pound, 5 ounces) brownie mix
3 cups (12 ounces) of whole almonds OR: walnut halves OR: peacan halves
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons water OR milk
3/4 teaspoon almond extract

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan with nonstick
cooking spray. Line botton and sides of pan with foil, leaving 2 inches
overhand on the short sides. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the brownie mix (if mix contains packet
of chocolate syrup, save the syrup for another use) and almonds. Stir in
the eggs, water and almond extract into the middle of the brownie mix until
the ingredients are moistened and a stiff batter forms. With an offset
metal spatula, spread the batter in the prepared pan in an even layer.
3. Bake in 350 degree oven 35 minutes or until the cake is firm to the touch
in the center. Using the foil overhang, carefully remove the brownie from
pan to a wire rack. Let the brownie cool about 10 minutes.
4. Cut the brownie in half lenghtwise, scoring the surface with a serrated
knife and completing the cutting through with a large, sharp knife. Then
cut crosswise, into 3/4 inch thick slices. Place brownies, cut side down on
large baking sheet.
5. Bake in 350 degree oven 23 to 25 minutes until biscotti are crisp.
Transfer biscotti to wire rack and cool.

Sorry this is so long, but these were so easy and so delicious wanted to
pass along the recipe
"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
. ..
> Before Christmas I made a biscotti recipe from the booklet that came with

my
> new Cuisinart food processor. The resulting cookies (these were the
> twice-baked "dunker" style of biscotti) had great flavor and texture, but
> when I sliced the baked log it fell apart somewhat, leaving me with quite

> few broken cookies. I baked them anyway, but it was a bit disappointing.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I made two other biscotti recipes, again using my
> food processor to mix the dough. Again I had problems with them crumbling
> when I cut the logs of baked dough.
>
> Is it mixing the dough with my food processor that is causing the problem?
> Or is it something else -- not baking the logs long enough or not letting
> them cool enough before slicing?
>
> I followed the recipes in terms of ingredients, baking times, and cooling
> times. I'll be happy to post the recipes I used if need be.
>
> Anny

Anny Middon

"lisa flack" > wrote in message
> Hi, I am by no means "an expert" at biscotti, but my guess is that they

are
> not cooled enough before slicing causing them to crumble. Below is a

recipe
> for Brownie Biscotti. It is so easy, but it tastes so great.

Thanks, Lisa. The recipe sounds delicious! Next time I want biscotti, I'll
make it.

Anny

Roy Basan

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message >...
> Before Christmas I made a biscotti recipe from the booklet that came with my
> new Cuisinart food processor. The resulting cookies (these were the
> twice-baked "dunker" style of biscotti) had great flavor and texture, but
> when I sliced the baked log it fell apart somewhat, leaving me with quite a
> few broken cookies. I baked them anyway, but it was a bit disappointing.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I made two other biscotti recipes, again using my
> food processor to mix the dough. Again I had problems with them crumbling
> when I cut the logs of baked dough.
>
> Is it mixing the dough with my food processor that is causing the problem?
> Or is it something else -- not baking the logs long enough or not letting
> them cool enough before slicing?
>
> I followed the recipes in terms of ingredients, baking times, and cooling
> times. I'll be happy to post the recipes I used if need be.
>
> Anny

Anny I have made biscotti by the traditional way( using the mixer) but
we sliced it after twice baked with a very shsrp plain edged knife.A
fine serrated knife will do satisfactorily also but a knife with
coarse serration tends to crumbe the cookie.In addition It should be
cut carefully as even if you are not careful you will tend to crumble
some slices.

If the baked cookie is slightly overbaked in the oven it tends to be
brittle during slicing especially by manual way ,but not a problem if
using machines where we can maintain constant pressure with the
plunger to drive the cookie to the rotating blades.
In the institutional setting we use even the rotating slicer( similar
to the one used for cutting hams,cheese,frozen fish and meat..
How about chilling the already baked cookie before you cut it.
The recipe may be standardized in the equipment manufacturers kitchen
but do you have the same oven as the manufacturer.So you should look
also in this area.
Another question is that recipe size suited for the bowl capacity of
your food processor?you may need to mix it slightly longer( several
seconds more).
An undermixed dough tend to be loose and easily crumbles when cut.
If you had a mixer try that recipe in the standard way and see the
result.
I think it would help if you post the recipe.Maybe we can find some
ways how to improve it...
Roy
H. W. Hans Kuntze

Anny Middon wrote:

>Before Christmas I made a biscotti recipe from the booklet that came wit=

h my
>new Cuisinart food processor. The resulting cookies (these were the
>twice-baked "dunker" style of biscotti) had great flavor and texture, bu=

>when I sliced the baked log it fell apart somewhat, leaving me with quit=

e a
>few broken cookies. I baked them anyway, but it was a bit disappointing=

=2E

>A couple of weeks ago, I made two other biscotti recipes, again using my=

>food processor to mix the dough. Again I had problems with them crumbli=

ng
>when I cut the logs of baked dough.
> =20

Hi Anny.

Biscotti have a tendency to be somewhat fragile after the first bake=20
into logs.
Especially with nuts in large pieces.
But they are brittle by nature. Sharp knife and someone who is not timid =

are essential.
The crumbles make a good bottom for cheesecake crust.

Don't worry about underbaking them slightly, because after slicing=20
(sharp, finely serrated bagutte knife) them into oblong tranches and=20
baking them once again, they will be fully ready baked.

You could add some liquid (little) to your dough, that will make it=20
somewhat easier to slice, but overbaking is usually the problem.

--=20
Grue$$e.

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
" Strive for excellence in your life & reject being a doormat to others. =
Serve God. "
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef[AT]cmcchef.com
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Roy Basan

> Anny I have made biscotti by the traditional way( using the mixer) but
> we sliced it after twice baked with a very shsrp plain edged knife.

OOPs Erratum!
It should be worded as:
'We slice it after first baked' with a very sharp plain edged knife
because the slices are to be baked again in the oven.Sorry....
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:25:58 GMT, "Anny Middon"
> wrote:

>Before Christmas I made a biscotti recipe from the booklet that came with my
>new Cuisinart food processor. The resulting cookies (these were the
>twice-baked "dunker" style of biscotti) had great flavor and texture, but
>when I sliced the baked log it fell apart somewhat, leaving me with quite a
>few broken cookies. I baked them anyway, but it was a bit disappointing.
>
>A couple of weeks ago, I made two other biscotti recipes, again using my
>food processor to mix the dough. Again I had problems with them crumbling
>when I cut the logs of baked dough.
>
>Is it mixing the dough with my food processor that is causing the problem?
>Or is it something else -- not baking the logs long enough or not letting
>them cool enough before slicing?
>
>I followed the recipes in terms of ingredients, baking times, and cooling
>times. I'll be happy to post the recipes I used if need be.
>
>Anny

Did the second baking come before or after the cutting?

I think cutting after the first bake then quickly slicing when still
very hot, and afterwards setting in for the second bake would do it.

(From what I recall of Mandelbrot.)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davida @ jdc . org . il>
Dee Randall

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
. ..
> Before Christmas I made a biscotti recipe from the booklet that came with

my
> new Cuisinart food processor. The resulting cookies (these were the
> twice-baked "dunker" style of biscotti) had great flavor and texture, but
> when I sliced the baked log it fell apart somewhat, leaving me with quite

> few broken cookies. I baked them anyway, but it was a bit disappointing.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I made two other biscotti recipes, again using my
> food processor to mix the dough. Again I had problems with them crumbling
> when I cut the logs of baked dough.
>
> Is it mixing the dough with my food processor that is causing the problem?
> Or is it something else -- not baking the logs long enough or not letting
> them cool enough before slicing?
>
> I followed the recipes in terms of ingredients, baking times, and cooling
> times. I'll be happy to post the recipes I used if need be.
>
> Anny

I do this:
Spritz your biscotti a moment or so before cutting and keep it spritzed
while cutting. This prevents it from falling apart while cutting. It must
have something to do with not allowing the biscotti to form the slightest
crust which, of course, would have to be broken with a knife, hence causing
a broken biscotti.
Hope this helps.
Dee

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
Biscotti Pat Shipp Recipes (moderated) 0 28-03-2008 02:15 AM
Biscotti Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2007 08:24 PM
Biscotti pan Dee Randall Baking 0 01-03-2005 04:30 AM
Biscotti Del Laggaccio (Aniseed Biscotti) 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2004 03:19 PM