Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Quick Breads

What makes quick breads "break" open while baking and other times, it
doesn't happen?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Billy wrote:
What makes quick breads "break" open while baking and other times, it
doesn't happen?

When the center of the bread expands faster than the top crust, the top
crust will crack. It's a classic sign of a quick bread, so there's
probably not a lot you can do about it unless you bake at a very low
temperature for a very long time.
Old 16-06-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Jun 12, 12:11*pm, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply
wrote:
Billy wrote:
What makes quick breads "break" open while baking and other times, it
doesn't happen? *

When the center of the bread expands faster than the top crust, the top
crust will crack. *It's a classic sign of a quick bread, so there's
probably not a lot you can do about it unless you bake at a very low
temperature for a very long time.

Not nessarily- I was taught to dip a plastic bowl scraper in oil, then
dip it halfway thru the center of the bread, where it usually cracks.
This gives it a "guide' basically so it can crack neater. Most quick
breads do this, but this makes it look nicer. HTH!!
Old 17-06-2008, 05:38 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Merryb wrote:
When the center of the bread expands faster than the top crust, the top
crust will crack. It's a classic sign of a quick bread, so there's
probably not a lot you can do about it unless you bake at a very low
temperature for a very long time.

Not nessarily- I was taught to dip a plastic bowl scraper in oil, then
dip it halfway thru the center of the bread, where it usually cracks.
This gives it a "guide' basically so it can crack neater. Most quick
breads do this, but this makes it look nicer. HTH!!

Uh, you are reinforcing what I am saying -- that there will be a split
in the top of a quick bread.
Old 17-06-2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Jun 16, 9:38*pm, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply
wrote:
Merryb wrote:
When the center of the bread expands faster than the top crust, the top
crust will crack. *It's a classic sign of a quick bread, so there's
probably not a lot you can do about it unless you bake at a very low
temperature for a very long time.

Not nessarily- I was taught to dip a plastic bowl scraper in oil, then
dip it halfway thru the center of the bread, where it usually cracks.
This gives it a "guide' basically so it can crack neater. Most quick
breads do this, but this makes it look nicer. HTH!!

Uh, you are reinforcing what I am saying -- that there will be a split
in the top of a quick bread.

Yes, I was. That's what happens!

Old 17-06-2008, 07:55 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:06:18 -0700 (PDT), Merryb
wrote:

Yes, I was. That's what happens!

But...it doesn't happen every time. I will have two loaves that do it
and then it doesn't happen. Now I am down to mixing times since my
ingredients and pans remain the same.
Old 17-06-2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.baking

wrote:

Yes, I was. That's what happens!

But...it doesn't happen every time. *I will have two loaves that do it
and then it doesn't happen. * Now I am down to mixing times since my
ingredients and pans remain the same. *

Well it could have something to do with your method. Do your recipes
call for creaming butter/sugar? Maybe you're not doing it enough.
Alternating adding your liquid/dry in 3-4 additions?
Old 18-06-2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:54:41 -0700 (PDT), Merryb
wrote:

Well it could have something to do with your method. Do your recipes
call for creaming butter/sugar? Maybe you're not doing it enough.
Alternating adding your liquid/dry in 3-4 additions?

Same recipe....same ingredients,.....same procedure. Go figure.

Old 18-06-2008, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.baking

wrote:

Well it could have something to do with your method. Do your recipes
call for creaming butter/sugar? Maybe you're not doing it enough.
Alternating adding your liquid/dry in 3-4 additions?

Same recipe....same ingredients,.....same procedure. * Go figure. *

It's a mystery! LOL!

Quick breads Dimitri General Cooking 4 26-11-2008 05:08 PM
Standout Quick Breads Maureen Blackburn Recipes (moderated) 0 18-06-2008 03:34 AM
Moist Quick Breads texpat General Cooking 9 29-01-2007 06:43 PM
Favorite Quick Breads (3) Collection MAsh Recipes (moderated) 0 29-03-2005 02:10 PM
Favorite Quick Breads (3) Collection MAsh Recipes (moderated) 0 29-03-2005 02:10 PM