Posted to rec.food.baking
merryb merryb is offline

Default Quick Breads

On Jun 12, 12:11*pm, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply
> wrote:
> Billy wrote:
> > What makes quick breads "break" open while baking and other times, it
> > doesn't happen? *

> When the center of the bread expands faster than the top crust, the top
> crust will crack. *It's a classic sign of a quick bread, so there's
> probably not a lot you can do about it unless you bake at a very low
> temperature for a very long time.

Not nessarily- I was taught to dip a plastic bowl scraper in oil, then
dip it halfway thru the center of the bread, where it usually cracks.
This gives it a "guide' basically so it can crack neater. Most quick
breads do this, but this makes it look nicer. HTH!!