Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Quick Breads

What makes quick breads "break" open while baking and other times, it
doesn't happen?

Posted to rec.food.baking

Billy wrote:
> What makes quick breads "break" open while baking and other times, it
> doesn't happen?

When the center of the bread expands faster than the top crust, the top
crust will crack. It's a classic sign of a quick bread, so there's
probably not a lot you can do about it unless you bake at a very low
temperature for a very long time.
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jun 12, 12:11*pm, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply
> wrote:
> Billy wrote:
> > What makes quick breads "break" open while baking and other times, it
> > doesn't happen? *

> When the center of the bread expands faster than the top crust, the top
> crust will crack. *It's a classic sign of a quick bread, so there's
> probably not a lot you can do about it unless you bake at a very low
> temperature for a very long time.

Not nessarily- I was taught to dip a plastic bowl scraper in oil, then
dip it halfway thru the center of the bread, where it usually cracks.
This gives it a "guide' basically so it can crack neater. Most quick
breads do this, but this makes it look nicer. HTH!!
Posted to rec.food.baking

Merryb wrote:
>> When the center of the bread expands faster than the top crust, the top
>> crust will crack. It's a classic sign of a quick bread, so there's
>> probably not a lot you can do about it unless you bake at a very low
>> temperature for a very long time.

> Not nessarily- I was taught to dip a plastic bowl scraper in oil, then
> dip it halfway thru the center of the bread, where it usually cracks.
> This gives it a "guide' basically so it can crack neater. Most quick
> breads do this, but this makes it look nicer. HTH!!

Uh, you are reinforcing what I am saying -- that there will be a split
in the top of a quick bread.
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jun 16, 9:38*pm, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply
> wrote:
> Merryb wrote:
> >> When the center of the bread expands faster than the top crust, the top
> >> crust will crack. *It's a classic sign of a quick bread, so there's
> >> probably not a lot you can do about it unless you bake at a very low
> >> temperature for a very long time.

> > Not nessarily- I was taught to dip a plastic bowl scraper in oil, then
> > dip it halfway thru the center of the bread, where it usually cracks.
> > This gives it a "guide' basically so it can crack neater. Most quick
> > breads do this, but this makes it look nicer. HTH!!

> Uh, you are reinforcing what I am saying -- that there will be a split
> in the top of a quick bread.

Yes, I was. That's what happens!

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:06:18 -0700 (PDT), Merryb >
wrote:

>Yes, I was. That's what happens!

But...it doesn't happen every time. I will have two loaves that do it
and then it doesn't happen. Now I am down to mixing times since my
ingredients and pans remain the same.
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jun 17, 11:55*am, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:06:18 -0700 (PDT), Merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >Yes, I was. That's what happens!

> But...it doesn't happen every time. *I will have two loaves that do it
> and then it doesn't happen. * Now I am down to mixing times since my
> ingredients and pans remain the same. *

Well it could have something to do with your method. Do your recipes
call for creaming butter/sugar? Maybe you're not doing it enough.
Alternating adding your liquid/dry in 3-4 additions?
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:54:41 -0700 (PDT), Merryb >
wrote:

>Well it could have something to do with your method. Do your recipes
>call for creaming butter/sugar? Maybe you're not doing it enough.
>Alternating adding your liquid/dry in 3-4 additions?

Same recipe....same ingredients,.....same procedure. Go figure.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jun 17, 5:11*pm, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:54:41 -0700 (PDT), Merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >Well it could have something to do with your method. Do your recipes
> >call for creaming butter/sugar? Maybe you're not doing it enough.
> >Alternating adding your liquid/dry in 3-4 additions?

> Same recipe....same ingredients,.....same procedure. * Go figure. *

It's a mystery! LOL!

Quick breads Dimitri General Cooking 4 26-11-2008 06:08 PM
Standout Quick Breads Maureen Blackburn Recipes (moderated) 0 18-06-2008 03:34 AM
Moist Quick Breads texpat General Cooking 9 29-01-2007 07:43 PM
Favorite Quick Breads (3) Collection MAsh Recipes (moderated) 0 29-03-2005 02:10 PM
Favorite Quick Breads (3) Collection MAsh Recipes (moderated) 0 29-03-2005 02:10 PM