Posted to rec.food.baking

Default 00 Flour

Thanks, Marie, now why didn't I see that? That's a simple solution. I
made such wonderful pizza from Peter Reinhart's, "The Bread Maker's
Apprentice" that was so light and bubbly and delicious. The dough was so
supple and stretched so easily. I wonder if 00 flour could be any
lighter. I would like to try and have an order ready for King Arthur
anyhow.

Thanks for your help.

Doreen
in Northern Minnesota

ML HUMMINGBIRD wrote:

> Doreen I am showing you what is in King Arthur site about 00 flour.
>

> Italian-Style Flour
> Our American clone of Italian 00 flour is perfect for pizza, focaccia,
> and grissini.
>
> # Makes an extremely supple, extensible dough.
> # Ideal for light-as-air, tender pizza and other flatbreads.
> # Try it for pasta, too!
> # 8.5% protein.

Posted to rec.food.baking

D and d Jordan > wrote in
news:mailman.8.1190899596.56908.rec.food.baking@ma il.otherwhen.com:

> I would like to try and have an order ready for King Arthur
> anyhow.

I can tell you from experience, you'll be spoiled by them. I ordered some
flavorings from the a while back, expected it to be at least a week,
because I chose the cheapest shipping option, it was here in 3 days.
Cross Country.
Posted to rec.food.baking

> > I would like to try and have an order ready for King Arthur
> > anyhow.

I was fortunate to find 00 flour in my supermarket here in the Blue
Mountains of Australia -- I don't know how regular its appearance is!
It seems very finely milled indeed, and is a higher protein than your
King Arthur brand -- it's around 9.5. And the fettucinne I made with
it was delicious.
I found elsewhere the same day a Continental-style flour under the
name Sharps - haven't tried it yet, but it looks to be even finer-
milled than the 00, if that's possible.
For pizza I've been using bog-ordinary bakers' flour with great
results -- I give it only half as much yeast as I use for the same
quantity flour for bread-making, and I stretch it as much as I can
before laying it out on the baking tray as my wife and I really love
thin-crust pizza, with the simplest toppings possible -- sometimes
just a little goat's fetta, herbs (oregano, or basil if we're also
using some fresh tomatoes) and a drizzle of olive oil is enough!