Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default corn flour versus wheat flour

On Sat, 9 May 2009 18:59:12 -0600, "nefletch" > wrote:

>Good evening all.
>
>We are having company soon, and they will be here for
>one week. I have just discovered that one person in the
>party is allergic to wheat, barley and rye. His biggest
>hurdle is wheat flour. He suggested corn flour instead of
>wheat flour. Is there any difference in cooking between
>the two? Anything I should do differently? I am a big
>fan of pancakes, and biscuits and gravy for breakfast,
>any simple recipes for these two using corn flower?
>Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

I'd just say "let's eat out". Sorry. I don't cater (and I don't do
kosher) either.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 9 May 2009 18:59:12 -0600, "nefletch" > wrote:
>
>> Good evening all.
>>
>> We are having company soon, and they will be here for
>> one week. I have just discovered that one person in the
>> party is allergic to wheat, barley and rye. His biggest
>> hurdle is wheat flour. He suggested corn flour instead of
>> wheat flour. Is there any difference in cooking between
>> the two? Anything I should do differently? I am a big
>> fan of pancakes, and biscuits and gravy for breakfast,
>> any simple recipes for these two using corn flower?
>> Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
>>

> I'd just say "let's eat out". Sorry. I don't cater (and I don't do
> kosher) either.

LOL you could!! Perhaps you could feed him a simple low carb diet during
his stay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 May 2009 18:59:12 -0600, "nefletch" > wrote:
>
>>Good evening all.
>>
>>We are having company soon, and they will be here for
>>one week. I have just discovered that one person in the
>>party is allergic to wheat, barley and rye. His biggest
>>hurdle is wheat flour. He suggested corn flour instead of
>>wheat flour. Is there any difference in cooking between
>>the two? Anything I should do differently? I am a big
>>fan of pancakes, and biscuits and gravy for breakfast,
>>any simple recipes for these two using corn flower?
>>Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
>>

> I'd just say "let's eat out". Sorry. I don't cater (and I don't do
> kosher) either.

Eat out for every meal for a week?! That would get rather old (not to
mention expensive).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 9 May 2009 18:59:12 -0600, "nefletch" > wrote:
> >
> >>Good evening all.
> >>
> >>We are having company soon, and they will be here for
> >>one week. I have just discovered that one person in the
> >>party is allergic to wheat, barley and rye. His biggest
> >>hurdle is wheat flour. He suggested corn flour instead of
> >>wheat flour. Is there any difference in cooking between
> >>the two? Anything I should do differently? I am a big
> >>fan of pancakes, and biscuits and gravy for breakfast,
> >>any simple recipes for these two using corn flower?
> >>Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
> >>

> > I'd just say "let's eat out". Sorry. I don't cater (and I don't do
> > kosher) either.
> >

> Eat out for every meal for a week?! That would get rather old (not to
> mention expensive).
>
> Jill

One could always learn to cook low carb and just forget flour of any
kind for a week. I'm a fan of breakfast meat and eggs for breakfast with
a small salad or a steamed veggie. I live that way.

Who needs pancakes or biscuits?

My cooking has gotten _far_ more creative since I've given up starch and
sugar for the most part. I also eat a greater variety.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:

>> > I'd just say "let's eat out". Sorry. I don't cater (and I don't do
>> > kosher) either.
>> >

>> Eat out for every meal for a week?! That would get rather old (not to
>> mention expensive).
>>
>> Jill

> One could always learn to cook low carb and just forget flour of any
> kind for a week. I'm a fan of breakfast meat and eggs for breakfast with
> a small salad or a steamed veggie. I live that way.
>
> Who needs pancakes or biscuits?
>
> My cooking has gotten _far_ more creative since I've given up starch and
> sugar for the most part. I also eat a greater variety.
> --
> Peace! Om

The OP could always make biscuits or pancakes for everyone else and feed the
guest with the dietary restrictions just the eggs and bacon or sausage... or
whatever it is they can eat

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> The OP could always make biscuits or pancakes for everyone else and feed the
> guest with the dietary restrictions just the eggs and bacon or sausage... or
> whatever it is they can eat
>
> Jill

That's the best idea I've read yet.
I routinely prepare separate meals for dad and I, but over this weekend,
both of us enjoyed those lettuce wraps! I'll gradually wean him over to
my way of eating. <g>

I'm fixin' to prepare myself some scrambled eggs with thinly sliced baby
spinach and shredded mozarella, and some leftover home made sausage.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> The OP could always make biscuits or pancakes for everyone else and feed
>> the
>> guest with the dietary restrictions just the eggs and bacon or sausage...
>> or
>> whatever it is they can eat
>>
>> Jill

> That's the best idea I've read yet.

I don't know why it took me so long to come to that conclusion. It's only
one guest, after all.

> I routinely prepare separate meals for dad and I, but over this weekend,
> both of us enjoyed those lettuce wraps! I'll gradually wean him over to
> my way of eating. <g>

But should your dad be eating low carb? What does his doctor recommend?
Let him eat lettuce wraps if he loved them, but by all means consult his
doctor before "converting" him.

> I'm fixin' to prepare myself some scrambled eggs with thinly sliced baby
> spinach and shredded mozarella, and some leftover home made sausage.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
> It's about learning to dance in the rain.
> -- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >
> >> The OP could always make biscuits or pancakes for everyone else and feed
> >> the
> >> guest with the dietary restrictions just the eggs and bacon or sausage...
> >> or
> >> whatever it is they can eat
> >>
> >> Jill

> > That's the best idea I've read yet.

> I don't know why it took me so long to come to that conclusion. It's only
> one guest, after all.
>
> > I routinely prepare separate meals for dad and I, but over this weekend,
> > both of us enjoyed those lettuce wraps! I'll gradually wean him over to
> > my way of eating. <g>
> >

> But should your dad be eating low carb? What does his doctor recommend?
> Let him eat lettuce wraps if he loved them, but by all means consult his
> doctor before "converting" him.

He still has a belly to lose, and on his part, it is voluntary.
I actually have trouble getting him to eat enough! I'll also serve him
requests if he asks. He ate quite a bit of the brown rice I'd prepared
for him, but I made too much and had to toss it when it was 8 days old
and went sour. I'm a stickler for food safety and check it routinely.
I'm not eating any starch at all at the moment.

I'm just glad he's eating again. He went a month living on only the
protein shakes I made him when he got out of the hospital a couple of
months ago. I really thought he was going to die on me. :-(
He only lost 5 lbs. due to the calorie count in the shakes. I'm not
trying to starve him to death, honest!

You have no idea how sweet it was to hear him say "What's for
breakfast?:" that Friday morning. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Sun, 10 May 2009 10:13:42 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Omelet" > wrote in message
> >
> >> I routinely prepare separate meals for dad and I, but over this weekend,
> >> both of us enjoyed those lettuce wraps! I'll gradually wean him over to
> >> my way of eating. <g>
> >>

> >But should your dad be eating low carb? What does his doctor recommend?
> >Let him eat lettuce wraps if he loved them, but by all means consult his
> >doctor before "converting" him.

> I agree with Jill. Your dad may have very different nutritional needs
> than you do. Before, it sounded like he needed to gain weight..to
> eat....
>
> So, low carb won't be that good for him. And the nutritional needs of
> the elderly can be very different in other ways too. I would consult
> a nutritionist/dietician before trying to convert him. He is not you,
> after all....and doesn't have your needs. No matter what you want to
> think.
>
> Christine

Please read my post to Jill. It's been a balancing act for him. :-)

But thanks for caring!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> > I routinely prepare separate meals for dad and I, but over this
>> > weekend,
>> > both of us enjoyed those lettuce wraps! I'll gradually wean him over
>> > my way of eating. <g>
>> >

>> But should your dad be eating low carb? What does his doctor recommend?
>> Let him eat lettuce wraps if he loved them, but by all means consult his
>> doctor before "converting" him.

> He still has a belly to lose, and on his part, it is voluntary.
> I actually have trouble getting him to eat enough! I'll also serve him
> requests if he asks. He ate quite a bit of the brown rice I'd prepared
> for him, but I made too much and had to toss it when it was 8 days old
> and went sour. I'm a stickler for food safety and check it routinely.
> I'm not eating any starch at all at the moment.

Doesn't mean his body doesn't need starches.

> I'm just glad he's eating again. He went a month living on only the
> protein shakes I made him when he got out of the hospital a couple of
> months ago. I really thought he was going to die on me. :-(
> He only lost 5 lbs. due to the calorie count in the shakes. I'm not
> trying to starve him to death, honest!

I know that!

> You have no idea how sweet it was to hear him say "What's for
> breakfast?:" that Friday morning. :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

Yes, actually I do know. But losing a "belly" isn't the same thing as
getting the nutrition he needs. I still think you need to consult with his
doctor or a registered dietician before trying to get him to eat low-carb
all the time. It's not for everyone. My mother needed lots of carbs to
boost her energy before she died. Before she got so picky about food she
was eating lots of potatoes, pasta and bread (toast). She had lots of
energy. She'd get up and watch TV with me, sat and talked with me, etc.
She also got lots of protein from eggs, bacon, sausage and meats and
poultry. But the carbs were essential, too. Just sayin'. I'd urge you to
talk with his doctor before making a unilateral decision about what is best
for his diet. It's not based on your health (nor on a "belly").

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> > He still has a belly to lose, and on his part, it is voluntary.
> > I actually have trouble getting him to eat enough! I'll also serve him
> > requests if he asks. He ate quite a bit of the brown rice I'd prepared
> > for him, but I made too much and had to toss it when it was 8 days old
> > and went sour. I'm a stickler for food safety and check it routinely.
> > I'm not eating any starch at all at the moment.
> >

> Doesn't mean his body doesn't need starches.

There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate except maybe fiber.

> > I'm just glad he's eating again. He went a month living on only the
> > protein shakes I made him when he got out of the hospital a couple of
> > months ago. I really thought he was going to die on me. :-(
> > He only lost 5 lbs. due to the calorie count in the shakes. I'm not
> > trying to starve him to death, honest!
> >

> I know that!
>
> > You have no idea how sweet it was to hear him say "What's for
> > breakfast?:" that Friday morning. :-)
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> Yes, actually I do know. But losing a "belly" isn't the same thing as
> getting the nutrition he needs. I still think you need to consult with his
> doctor or a registered dietician before trying to get him to eat low-carb
> all the time. It's not for everyone. My mother needed lots of carbs to
> boost her energy before she died. Before she got so picky about food she
> was eating lots of potatoes, pasta and bread (toast). She had lots of
> energy. She'd get up and watch TV with me, sat and talked with me, etc.
> She also got lots of protein from eggs, bacon, sausage and meats and
> poultry. But the carbs were essential, too. Just sayin'. I'd urge you to
> talk with his doctor before making a unilateral decision about what is best
> for his diet. It's not based on your health (nor on a "belly").
>
> Jill

He's been out and about, and he had a sandwich with whole wheat bread
this morning, plus I've found dead packages of fig newtons in the trash.
;-) He's getting SOME starch and sugar. He gets an SSI check...

He also eats bananas on a regular basis and I cook him any veggies he
buys, mainly carrots and broccoli. I bought some Mexican zucchini
yesterday and plan to grill that with some Italian herbs and sesame
seeds, then top it with a little marinara sauce.

Low carb is not NO carb.

But thank you. ;-)
--
Peace! Om