How long 2 boil corn on the cob?

Old 10-08-2006, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How long 2 boil corn on the cob?

Again, I need your help.

On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
the water.

We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
fun!

Thanks,
Caesar
Old 10-08-2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Caesar wrote:
Again, I need your help.

On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
the water.

We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
fun!

Thanks,
Caesar

You're going to get different opinions on this. I'm the type of person
who likes his vegetables thoroughly cooked i.e. things like green beans
should be cooked in pot for at least an hour and seasoned with ham. I
don't believe in dunking vegetables in boiling water for 2 seconds and
then pulling them out and saying they're done. That being said, I like
to drop corn on the cob in boiling water and then turn the heat down to
a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Some people will say
all you have to do is drop the corn in boiling water and when the water
returns to a boil the corn is done. It all depends on how you normally
like your vegetables cooked.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Caesar wrote on 8/10/2006:

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it.

To my preference, about 3 minutes. Some people prefer to steam. You can

also grill or roast if either of those options appeal to you. I don't
salt the water,
but some people do. Some add a bit of sugar, but I don't do that
either.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Caesar" wrote in message
Again, I need your help.

On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
the water.

We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
fun!

Thanks,
Caesar

IMO Steaming is the way to go. If you don't have a steamer, put a 2 inches
of water in a large pot, make some big foil balls and put into the water to
hold the corn up. Easy. 4 to 8 min, depending on the size.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Caesar" wrote in message
Again, I need your help.

On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
the water.

We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
fun!

Thanks,
Caesar

You guys have never cooked corn???

Old 10-08-2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
the water.

We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
fun!

Thanks,
Caesar

My method for boiling born is to place the corn on the cob in a pot of water
with enough water to cover. Then bring it to boil and let it boil about 3-7
minutes (or more depending on whether you like it "al dente" or not). Let
sit uncovered in water for about 10 minutes before serving.

Optional: Add 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to water
before boiling. Do not add salt as it tends to toughen corn.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Caesar wrote:

Again, I need your help.

On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
the water.

We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
fun!

Thanks,
Caesar

Boiling COC is a horrible way to treat such a succulent treat!

I nuke it whole in the husk, others grill it same way.

Cook it IN the husk for maximum yummyness!!!

Wal-mark has monster ears for $.25 each right now. I'm enjoying them in
season.......

Just my personal way to do them anyway.

Mom used to boil them years ago. We learnt better after time. ;-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 10-08-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,

Boiling COC is a horrible way to treat such a succulent treat!

I nuke it whole in the husk, others grill it same way.

Cook it IN the husk for maximum yummyness!!!

Grilled in the husk - soak the ears in water for about 20 minutes or
so. That way, you don't have to worry about the grill burning any of
the kernels.

Yup, back in the day, microwaves weren't invented yet and men weren't
the grillers they are now. LOL.

I don't have a grill and always put mine in boiling water, but 7 to 10
minutes is WAY too long to cook corn, no matter how you like it.

If you like yours not so "al dente," boiling water will cook them
thoroughly in 1-2 minutes, max. Don't salt the water - it's better if
you sprinkle salt and pepper on the cooked ears after smearing them
with butter. That way, each diner can control their own salt.

N.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Caesar" wrote in message
Again, I need your help.

On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
the water.

We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
fun!

Thanks,
Caesar

=================
This is so simple and always good;
I husk the corn, hold it under the faucet to wet it;
wrap each ear of corn in waxed paper twisting the ends;
then microwave 2 minutes per ear of corn.
So if you are cooking four ears of corn; it would take eight minutes to cook
four ears of corn in the microwave. It always comes out great.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Caesar wrote:

Again, I need your help.

On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
the water.

We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
fun!

Eight minutes should do it. When I used to boil it I salted the water. I
prefer to grill it now.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Caesar wrote:

Again, I need your help.

On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.

He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
the water.

We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
fun!

Eight minutes should do it. When I used to boil it I salted the water. I
prefer to grill it now.

He should try a bite at 2-3 minutes. The cooking time depends very much on
the variety of corn, as well as its condition, which depends on a number of
factors which cannot be predicted, or factored into a rigid cooking formula.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Caesar wrote:

[...]

You're right about that - I should have thought of it - I like the
old-fashion all-yellow corn the best, and it takes a little longer to
cook than the new type silver queen or whatever that's called.

N.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message
oups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Caesar wrote:

[...]

On a related note, I was picking through green beans at the store last week,
and the old lady next to me asked how I was going to cook them. I told her.
Then, she held up some large "all purpose potatoes" and said "I like to put
the beans in the pot and boil them with the potatoes. They take about the
same time, you know?"

Can you imagine those green beans? :-)

Old 10-08-2006, 10:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
On a related note, I was picking through green beans at the store last week,
and the old lady next to me asked how I was going to cook them. I told her.
Then, she held up some large "all purpose potatoes" and said "I like to put
the beans in the pot and boil them with the potatoes. They take about the
same time, you know?"

Can you imagine those green beans? :-)

I don't know about large potatoes but green beans cooked with small
round potatoes are good. Green beans and corn mixed together are good
too.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Caesar wrote:

[...]

We nuke ours, too, Kat. About 4 to 4.5 minutes, in the husk, let cool for
about 5 to 10 minutes (whenever you remember to take it out) and it peels
like a dream. Silk and all.

kili

rec.food.sourdough FAQ Questions and Answers Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 19-10-2005 05:37 AM
recipes Mike \Piedmont\ Barbecue 2 27-09-2005 02:02 PM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Questions and Answers Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 02-09-2005 05:31 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Questions and Answers Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 17-04-2005 05:27 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Questions and Answers Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 11-03-2005 05:30 AM