Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] djs0302@aol.com is offline

Default How long 2 boil corn on the cob?

Caesar wrote:
> Again, I need your help.
>
> On Friday I am going to my dad's house and we are going to make lunch
> together, using your suggestions for salmon patties.
>
> He just called me and said his buddy dropped off some fresh corn on
> the cob, but my dad does not know how long to boil it. It will be
> probably 2-4 ears of corn. Your suggestions and should one add salt to
> the water.
>
> We are planning on having the salmon patties, cole slaw, fresh corn on
> the cob (lots of butter!) and fresh sliced tomatoes. This should be
> fun!
>
> Thanks,
> Caesar

You're going to get different opinions on this. I'm the type of person
who likes his vegetables thoroughly cooked i.e. things like green beans
should be cooked in pot for at least an hour and seasoned with ham. I
don't believe in dunking vegetables in boiling water for 2 seconds and
then pulling them out and saying they're done. That being said, I like
to drop corn on the cob in boiling water and then turn the heat down to
a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Some people will say
all you have to do is drop the corn in boiling water and when the water
returns to a boil the corn is done. It all depends on how you normally
like your vegetables cooked.