JakBQuik

Default How long should I boil my ribs?

Ha ha--made you look!

No, I'm really serious. I gave some BBQ'd ribs, done the right way:
membranes removed, rubbed and mopped just a little at the end of a low and
slow cook on my K#7....very vinegery, not sweet and thick, to some friends
that were sealed in a SealAMeal and frozen (the ribs...not my friends).

Anyway, how long do you guys put the SealAMeals in boiling water? I told
him about 20-25 minutes. Do ya'll concur?

John in Austin

Stan (the Man)

JakBQuik wrote:

> Ha ha--made you look!
>
> No, I'm really serious. I gave some BBQ'd ribs, done the right way:
> membranes removed, rubbed and mopped just a little at the end of a low and
> slow cook on my K#7....very vinegery, not sweet and thick, to some friends
> that were sealed in a SealAMeal and frozen (the ribs...not my friends).
>
> Anyway, how long do you guys put the SealAMeals in boiling water? I told
> him about 20-25 minutes. Do ya'll concur?

Lots of room for error there, John. I'd go even a bit longer. 30-40
minutes. You're not going to burn them.

--
Stan

notbob

On 2004-05-20, Stan (the Man) > wrote:

>> Anyway, how long do you guys put the SealAMeals in boiling water? I told
>> him about 20-25 minutes. Do ya'll concur?

What's the deal on the seal-a-meal? Is that material safe? Recently, it
was determined that plastic wraps (Glad, Saran, etc) leach toxins into foods
when the heated/nuked plastic is touching the food. Is this a problem with
vacuum pak plastics?

nb
--
Be considerate of others and
trim your posts. Thank you.
Brick

JakBQuik wrote:
> Ha ha--made you look!
>
> No, I'm really serious. I gave some BBQ'd ribs, done the right way:
> membranes removed, rubbed and mopped just a little at the end of a
> low and slow cook on my K#7....very vinegery, not sweet and thick,

> some friends that were sealed in a SealAMeal and frozen (the
> ribs...not my friends).
>
> Anyway, how long do you guys put the SealAMeals in boiling water? I
> told him about 20-25 minutes. Do ya'll concur?
>
> John in Austin

'til the bag expands like a balloon. Steam makes it do that and that's
when it's hot. Take it off and eat it.

Brick

notbob wrote:
> On 2004-05-20, Stan (the Man) >
> wrote:
>
>>> Anyway, how long do you guys put the SealAMeals in boiling water?
>>> I told him about 20-25 minutes. Do ya'll concur?

> What's the deal on the seal-a-meal? Is that material safe?
> Recently, it was determined that plastic wraps (Glad, Saran, etc)
> leach toxins into foods when the heated/nuked plastic is touching

the
> food. Is this a problem with vacuum pak plastics?
>
> nb

We don't nuke plastic nor put it in an oven. We bring it to a simmer
in
a pot of water. The plastic never gets over 212°. I'm going to die,
but
not from plastic poisoning.

notbob

On 2004-05-21, Brick > wrote:

> We don't nuke plastic nor put it in an oven. We bring it to a simmer
> in
> a pot of water. The plastic never gets over 212°.

Heat is heat, regardless of the delivery system.

I'm going to die,
> but
> not from plastic poisoning.

I'm hoping for terminal sex toxicity.

nb
--
Be considerate of others and
trim your posts. Thank you.
John O

> What's the deal on the seal-a-meal? Is that material safe? Recently, it
> was determined that plastic wraps (Glad, Saran, etc) leach toxins into

foods
> when the heated/nuked plastic is touching the food. Is this a problem

with
> vacuum pak plastics?

Too much worrying! I gotta worry about what the pig/cow ate, what kind of
inoculations he got, was he butchered sanitarily, was he stored ok, the trip
home and in my fridge, is the smoke safe, the preservatives in the sauce
ingredients, the time it sits while I cut 'em up, did I wash my hands after
taking a leak, and now the plastic they're frozen in. Whew, just pass the
ribs, please.

BTW, I'm munching on a sandwich made from my first brisket. Cooked this 8
pounder too long, it was dry. Fat up or down in an ECB??? (The new
Wallyworld Extreme has vacu-jacked briskets and shoulder roasts!!! woo-hoo!)

-John O

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "John O"
> wrote:

> Fat up or down in an ECB???

Down.

monroe(doobie doo down down)
Stan (the Man)

John O wrote:
>>What's the deal on the seal-a-meal? Is that material safe? Recently, it
>>was determined that plastic wraps (Glad, Saran, etc) leach toxins into

> foods
>
>>when the heated/nuked plastic is touching the food. Is this a problem

> with
>
>>vacuum pak plastics?

Not exactly true. You can check these rumors out at
<http://www.snopes2.com>

According to snopes, this story is undetermined.

--
Stan

Jason in Dallas

"JakBQuik" > wrote in message
> that were sealed in a SealAMeal and frozen (the ribs...not my friends).
>
> Anyway, how long do you guys put the SealAMeals in boiling water? I told
> him about 20-25 minutes. Do ya'll concur?

I don't boil mine the whole time, that overcooks them.

I toss the bagged ribs into a pot of cold water then bring to a boil. When
it starts boilig I turn the heat off, remove the pot from the burner and let
the bag sit in hot water for a while until the ribs are heated. mount of
time is arbitrary and depends on the mass of ribs. My thinking is that 212F
water will cook the ribs even more, and doggone it they were already
perfectly cooked when I bagged them.

John O

> > Fat up or down in an ECB???
>
> Down.

Ah. Well, I'll just have to buy another one. Darn. ;-) Luckily the FAQ
tells what to do with one like mine, and I got lots of good sandwiches to
eat. No loss, just room for more practice.

-John O

Dana Myers

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> "JakBQuik" > wrote in message

My thinking is that 212F
> water will cook the ribs even more, and doggone it they were already
> perfectly cooked when I bagged them.

While I agree that boiling too long to warm the ribs
runs the risk of pushing them into overcooked, I look
at this way - cooking the ribs at 212F in a bag
is basically the same as cooking them at 212F in
the smoker without smoke. What's the difference
between "cooked just right" and "overcooked" when
they're in the smoker? It might not be that different
when they're simmering in a pot of water.

The one factor that I think mitigates this is I believe
boiling water imparts heat more efficiently than smoke
at the same temperature, but I don't have scientific
evidence to back it up. It probably depends on what
temperature you cook at in the first place, and
boiling water probably isn't any worse than a mild
heat spike in the fire.

So, my take is, if cooking with smoke has a 30 minute
window of "just right", you probably have 15 minutes
of margin when heating in the water if simmering gently.

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong to heat very
gently; I prefer to re-warm things gently as well for
the same reason. My point here is that re-heating in
water probably is as forgiving as cooking with smoke
in the first place, no stress ;-)

Dana
Monroe, of course...

In article >, "John O"
> wrote:

> > > Fat up or down in an ECB???

> > Down.

> Ah. Well, I'll just have to buy another one. Darn. ;-) Luckily the FAQ
> tells what to do with one like mine, and I got lots of good sandwiches to
> eat. No loss, just room for more practice.

Find a sauce you like and chop chop chop. You can make chili, burrito
filler, beef bao, ground brisket salad, lotsa lotsa stuff.....
Just cause it's a bit dry is no cause for tears.

monroe(one more step up on the old curve)
John O

> Just cause it's a bit dry is no cause for tears.

Thanks

Jason in Dallas

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:40ae4858$1@wobble...
> While I agree that boiling too long to warm the ribs
> runs the risk of pushing them into overcooked, I look
> at this way - cooking the ribs at 212F in a bag
> is basically the same as cooking them at 212F in
> the smoker without smoke. What's the difference
> between "cooked just right" and "overcooked" when
> they're in the smoker? It might not be that different
> when they're simmering in a pot of water.
>
> The one factor that I think mitigates this is I believe
> boiling water imparts heat more efficiently than smoke
> at the same temperature, but I don't have scientific
> evidence to back it up. (snip)

I won't bore you with the science since I'm a poor teacher and not a
thermodynamicist. Probably can't even spell it right.

The short explaination is yes, boiling cooks differently and faster than
smoking. It's bacause water is much more dense than air and holds more heat
to impart top the food. The reason you feel more hot on a humid day, because
steamy air holds more heat (HVAC guys call it "latent" heat). The ribs in
abag of boiling water are being touched by the plastic bag which is more
dense than air, and once the bag expands with steam the steam is still mroe
dense then the air in a BBQ pit.

Overcooked ribs turn mushy. Falling apart. Bad. Steam cooking faster is why
some folks put ribs in foil part of the time they BBQ to get the faster
cooking.

"John O" > wrote:
> >[]

> Too much worrying! I gotta worry about what the pig/cow ate, what kind of
> inoculations he got, was he butchered sanitarily, was he stored ok, the
> trip home and in my fridge, is the smoke safe, the preservatives in the
> sauce ingredients, the time it sits while I cut 'em up, did I wash my
> hands after taking a leak, and now the plastic they're frozen in. Whew,
> just pass the ribs, please.

LMAO. When we were rugrats, we stuck everything in our mouths, yet here we
are!

> BTW, I'm munching on a sandwich made from my first brisket. Cooked this 8
> pounder too long, it was dry. Fat up or down in an ECB??? (The new
> Wallyworld Extreme has vacu-jacked briskets and shoulder roasts!!!
> woo-hoo!)

Up or down? Read the FAQ! Read BigJim's FAQ! Review Hound's posts.
Direct - down, indirect - up. 'difIknow!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended

"Jason in Dallas" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> I won't bore you with the science since I'm a poor teacher and not a
> thermodynamicist. Probably can't even spell it right.
>
> The short explaination is yes, boiling cooks differently and faster than
> smoking. It's bacause water is much more dense than air and holds more
> heat to impart top the food. The reason you feel more hot on a humid day,
> because steamy air holds more heat (HVAC guys call it "latent" heat). The
> ribs in abag of boiling water are being touched by the plastic bag which
> is more dense than air, and once the bag expands with steam the steam is
> still mroe dense then the air in a BBQ pit.

Your explanation is exactly right, as is your spelling of thermo . . . .

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
Dana Myers

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> I won't bore you with the science since I'm a poor teacher and not a
> thermodynamicist. Probably can't even spell it right.
>
> The short explaination is yes, boiling cooks differently and faster than
> smoking. It's bacause water is much more dense than air and holds more heat
> to impart top the food. The reason you feel more hot on a humid day, because
> steamy air holds more heat (HVAC guys call it "latent" heat).

I've always thought that humidity substantially reduced the
efficiency of the human evaporative cooling system, err...
sweat glands.

Dana
M&M

On 21-May-2004, "John O" > wrote:
<snip fore and aft>
> Too much worrying! I gotta worry about what the pig/cow ate, what kind of
> inoculations he got, was he butchered sanitarily, was he stored ok, the
> trip
> home and in my fridge, is the smoke safe, the preservatives in the sauce
> ingredients, the time it sits while I cut 'em up, did I wash my hands
> after
> taking a leak, and now the plastic they're frozen in. Whew, just pass the
> ribs, please.

LOL John. People that are worrying about all that stuff are not ever going
to cook anything. I'm coming up on 68 years and I'll be very surprised if
home cooked 'Q' kills me. For those of you who might have eaten at
Howard Johnsons (Read sidewalk cart in SE Asia) you'll know what I
mean. Perhaps it was the Plum wine base that save us.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 21-May-2004, "Stan (the Man)" > wrote:

> Not exactly true. You can check these rumors out at
> <http://www.snopes2.com>
>
> According to snopes, this story is undetermined.

Well, that link didn't take me anywhere. Unless I have a day
to sort it out. It didn't take me to a reference, but rather to a
major research site. Who needs it?

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

M&M

On 21-May-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:
<snip>
> While I agree that boiling too long to warm the ribs
> runs the risk of pushing them into overcooked, I look
> at this way - cooking the ribs at 212F in a bag
> is basically the same as cooking them at 212F in
> the smoker without smoke. What's the difference
> between "cooked just right" and "overcooked" when
> they're in the smoker? It might not be that different
> when they're simmering in a pot of water.
>
> The one factor that I think mitigates this is I believe
> boiling water imparts heat more efficiently than smoke
> at the same temperature, but I don't have scientific
> evidence to back it up. It probably depends on what
> temperature you cook at in the first place, and
> boiling water probably isn't any worse than a mild
> heat spike in the fire.
>
> So, my take is, if cooking with smoke has a 30 minute
> window of "just right", you probably have 15 minutes
> of margin when heating in the water if simmering gently.
>
> I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong to heat very
> gently; I prefer to re-warm things gently as well for
> the same reason. My point here is that re-heating in
> water probably is as forgiving as cooking with smoke
> in the first place, no stress ;-)

Screw all this technobabble. My vac-packed frozen 'Q'
comes out right nice when reheated in in a boiler of hot
water. "Simmer" it until the bag starts to swell up. Take
it off and eat it.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
BOB

M&M wrote:
> On 21-May-2004, Dana Myers > wrote:
> <snip>

something (babbling) that I snipped

> Screw all this technobabble. My vac-packed frozen 'Q'
> comes out right nice when reheated in in a boiler of hot
> water. "Simmer" it until the bag starts to swell up. Take
> it off and eat it.
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Doncha just *love* the techno-babble from these dorks that like to talk the talk
but have never walked yet?

BOB
boils-in-the-bag, gets good re-heated BBQ (almost exactly like when it was
originally vac-sealed)

M&M

On 22-May-2004, " BOB" > wrote:
<snip what we said already>

> Doncha just *love* the techno-babble from these dorks that like to talk
> the talk
> but have never walked yet?
>
> BOB
> boils-in-the-bag, gets good re-heated BBQ (almost exactly like when it was
> originally vac-sealed)

Amen.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Tyler Hopper

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-05-20, Stan (the Man) > wrote:
>
> >> Anyway, how long do you guys put the SealAMeals in boiling water? I told
> >> him about 20-25 minutes. Do ya'll concur?

> What's the deal on the seal-a-meal? Is that material safe? Recently, it
> was determined that plastic wraps (Glad, Saran, etc) leach toxins into foods
> when the heated/nuked plastic is touching the food. Is this a problem with
> vacuum pak plastics?
>
> nb
> --
> Be considerate of others and
> trim your posts. Thank you.

Hey nb, I hadn't heard this one. Can you cite somewhere to get more info?