Bob Sisson

Default How long to boil a gal of water on a High BTU Range

Before I go and update my #$@^#%$ RCA/GE profile stove that I hate,

how long should it take to bring a Big Kettle of water to a boil ?

My current range only has 9,000 BTU's on its biggest burner, and seems to
take FOREVER to bring my big pot to a boil, and it looses the boil when I
put in a pound of Pasta.

For example, to bring 1gal of water to a boil on my huge Burner takes close
to 21 min. I timed it !

Can someone tell me what I might expect with a pro-style range with those
big (15,000 BTU+) burners ?

What I WANT is a Propane ready 30" range with 4 burners that will go from
15,000 BTU's to simmer, and an infrared broiler.

All the non pro-style ranges I have seen have ONE (1) big burner, that MIGHT
get to 12,000 btu's on propane, and 3 wimpy burners. I want to find
something good, that runs on propane, that I won't need a mortgage for...

--

Remove VERMIN to reply

Bob Sisson
Keeper of the Dragon and other things at Redwall

http://www.SissonFamily.com/bob

..SissonFamily.com/bob

Kenneth

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:08:18 -0500, "Bob Sisson"
> wrote:

>Before I go and update my #$@^#%$ RCA/GE profile stove that I hate,
>
>how long should it take to bring a Big Kettle of water to a boil ?
>
>My current range only has 9,000 BTU's on its biggest burner, and seems to
>take FOREVER to bring my big pot to a boil, and it looses the boil when I
>put in a pound of Pasta.
>
>For example, to bring 1gal of water to a boil on my huge Burner takes close
>to 21 min. I timed it !
>
>Can someone tell me what I might expect with a pro-style range with those
>big (15,000 BTU+) burners ?
>
>What I WANT is a Propane ready 30" range with 4 burners that will go from
>15,000 BTU's to simmer, and an infrared broiler.
>
>All the non pro-style ranges I have seen have ONE (1) big burner, that MIGHT
>get to 12,000 btu's on propane, and 3 wimpy burners. I want to find
>something good, that runs on propane, that I won't need a mortgage for...

Hi Bob,

You may be in for a bit of a surprise on this matter:

We have a D.C.S. I am timing it right now. Covered pot, full blast, to
a full boil...

And, the answer is................ 15 minutes...!

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Joe Doe

In article > , "Bob Sisson"
> wrote:

> Before I go and update my #$@^#%$ RCA/GE profile stove that I hate,
>
> how long should it take to bring a Big Kettle of water to a boil ?
>
> My current range only has 9,000 BTU's on its biggest burner, and seems to
> take FOREVER to bring my big pot to a boil, and it looses the boil when I
> put in a pound of Pasta.
>
> For example, to bring 1gal of water to a boil on my huge Burner takes close
> to 21 min. I timed it !
>
> Can someone tell me what I might expect with a pro-style range with those
> big (15,000 BTU+) burners ?

> Bob Sisson

I had a post on this subject a few weeks back.

You can find it at

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=hi...xas.edu&rnum=1

This has some of the information you want but the answers are for 6 quarts
(1.5 gallons) because that is what the Consumer Reports tests were
standardized on.

Roland:

How to boil water better??? PLucas1[_2_] General Cooking 18 28-02-2010 11:24 PM
The water's on to boil... (was: Do it at home lobster) PastaLover General Cooking 8 11-12-2005 07:57 AM
So, how *do* you boil water? pennyaline General Cooking 2 21-02-2005 09:55 PM
How to boil water sf General Cooking 24 25-11-2004 08:15 AM
how to boil water A.C. General Cooking 5 11-06-2004 06:03 AM