Poblano versus anaheim

Old 21-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

Default Poblano versus anaheim

I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

--
Peter Aitken

Old 21-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Shaun aRe
Usenet poster

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
om...
I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old 21-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"Shaun aRe" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
om...
I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~

You bet! But are they anything like anaheims?

--
Peter Aitken

Old 21-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Barbara
Usenet poster

Peter Aitken wrote:

I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

--
Peter Aitken

Poblanos are less meaty than Anaheims, but I find them to have a much
richer green chile flavor. Their thin skin can make them harder to peel,
but it also makes peeling less critical.

I would think that they would be a fine substitute in something like
posole. You might taste them first to make sure that their heat level
is compatible with the people you are feeding. They tend to be mildish,
but occasionally you get a nice hot one.
Old 21-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"Barbara" wrote in message
Peter Aitken wrote:

I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

--
Peter Aitken

Poblanos are less meaty than Anaheims, but I find them to have a much
richer green chile flavor. Their thin skin can make them harder to peel,
but it also makes peeling less critical.

I would think that they would be a fine substitute in something like
posole. You might taste them first to make sure that their heat level
is compatible with the people you are feeding. They tend to be mildish,
but occasionally you get a nice hot one.

Thanks, very helpful. I love the heat, so that's not a problem (unless
there's not enough!).

--
Peter Aitken

Old 21-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Shaun aRe
Usenet poster

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
om...
"Shaun aRe" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
om...
I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~

You bet! But are they anything like anaheims?

That depends - Do you *like* anaheims? EG!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old 21-09-2005, 05:21 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Usenet poster

"Peter Aitken" wrote:

"Shaun aRe" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
om...
I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~

You bet! But are they anything like anaheims?

IMHO flavor is similar, but they are a bit "warmer".

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 14-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Rodney Myrvaagnes
Usenet poster

I would use them. They are both large, not super-fierce, peppers
suitable for stuffing.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:10:13 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone

Errant poblano Bubba General Cooking 7 22-12-2004 11:35 PM
El Jarro's Roasted Poblano And Corn Soup Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 09-04-2004 02:27 PM
EL JARRO'S ROASTED POBLANO AND CORN SOUP Duckie Recipes 0 07-04-2004 10:57 PM
Brew King Lodi Zinfandel versus Regina frozen juice Brandon Greimann Winemaking 7 19-11-2003 11:13 AM
GREEN POBLANO RICE A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:59 PM