Peter Aitken

Default Poblano versus anaheim

I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

--
Peter Aitken

Shaun aRe

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Peter Aitken

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
eenews.net...

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> om...
>> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
>> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

> Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~

You bet! But are they anything like anaheims?

--
Peter Aitken

Barbara

Peter Aitken wrote:

> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Poblanos are less meaty than Anaheims, but I find them to have a much
richer green chile flavor. Their thin skin can make them harder to peel,
but it also makes peeling less critical.

I would think that they would be a fine substitute in something like
posole. You might taste them first to make sure that their heat level
is compatible with the people you are feeding. They tend to be mildish,
but occasionally you get a nice hot one.
Peter Aitken

"Barbara" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>>
>> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
>> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?
>>
>> --
>> Peter Aitken
>> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

> Poblanos are less meaty than Anaheims, but I find them to have a much
> richer green chile flavor. Their thin skin can make them harder to peel,
> but it also makes peeling less critical.
>
> I would think that they would be a fine substitute in something like
> posole. You might taste them first to make sure that their heat level
> is compatible with the people you are feeding. They tend to be mildish,
> but occasionally you get a nice hot one.

Thanks, very helpful. I love the heat, so that's not a problem (unless
there's not enough!).

--
Peter Aitken

Shaun aRe

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
> >
> > "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
> >> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

> > Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~
> >

> You bet! But are they anything like anaheims?

That depends - Do you *like* anaheims? <EG!>

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
> >
> > "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
> >> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

> > Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~
> >

> You bet! But are they anything like anaheims?

IMHO flavor is similar, but they are a bit "warmer".

Cheers!
--
Om.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

I would use them. They are both large, not super-fierce, peppers
suitable for stuffing.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:10:13 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
>bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone

Hatch vs. Anaheim chilis Janet Bostwick General Cooking 26 17-08-2014 07:03 PM
Completely heatless Anaheim Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 24 08-05-2012 04:41 AM
Anaheim Peppers DanS.[_2_] General Cooking 60 05-08-2010 05:39 PM
Anaheim Eats? Goomba38 General Cooking 8 25-04-2006 03:30 PM
Lemon juice versus vinegar -- also tomatillos versus green tomatoes Anny Middon Preserving 11 15-10-2004 09:53 PM