FoodBanter.com

-   -   Poblano versus anaheim (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/70406-poblano-versus-anaheim.html)

Peter Aitken 21-09-2005 01:10 PM

Poblano versus anaheim

I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

--
Peter Aitken

Shaun aRe 21-09-2005 02:35 PM

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Peter Aitken 21-09-2005 03:30 PM

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
eenews.net...

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> om...
>> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
>> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

> Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~

You bet! But are they anything like anaheims?

--
Peter Aitken

Barbara 21-09-2005 03:39 PM

Peter Aitken wrote:

> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Poblanos are less meaty than Anaheims, but I find them to have a much
richer green chile flavor. Their thin skin can make them harder to peel,
but it also makes peeling less critical.

I would think that they would be a fine substitute in something like
posole. You might taste them first to make sure that their heat level
is compatible with the people you are feeding. They tend to be mildish,
but occasionally you get a nice hot one.

Peter Aitken 21-09-2005 03:51 PM

"Barbara" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>>
>> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
>> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?
>>
>> --
>> Peter Aitken
>> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

> Poblanos are less meaty than Anaheims, but I find them to have a much
> richer green chile flavor. Their thin skin can make them harder to peel,
> but it also makes peeling less critical.
>
> I would think that they would be a fine substitute in something like
> posole. You might taste them first to make sure that their heat level
> is compatible with the people you are feeding. They tend to be mildish,
> but occasionally you get a nice hot one.

Thanks, very helpful. I love the heat, so that's not a problem (unless
there's not enough!).

--
Peter Aitken

Shaun aRe 21-09-2005 03:59 PM

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
> >
> > "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
> >> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

> > Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~
> >

> You bet! But are they anything like anaheims?

That depends - Do you *like* anaheims? <EG!>

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

OmManiPadmeOmelet 21-09-2005 05:21 PM

In article >,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
> >
> > "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
> >> bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

> > Do you *like* poblanos? ',;~}~
> >

> You bet! But are they anything like anaheims?

IMHO flavor is similar, but they are a bit "warmer".

Cheers!
--
Om.

Rodney Myrvaagnes 14-10-2005 10:11 PM

Poblano versus anaheim

I would use them. They are both large, not super-fierce, peppers
suitable for stuffing.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:10:13 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>I have a posole recipe that calls for anaheim peppers and I mistakenly
>bought poblanos. It this a reasonable substitute?

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone