Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hatch vs. Anaheim chilis

I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year. I'm going
to have to scout around and see if anyone carries Hatch around here.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2014 12:04 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:58:33 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
>> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
>> difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
>> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year. I'm going
>> to have to scout around and see if anyone carries Hatch around here.

> I just roasted, peeled, and seeded about pounds yesterday, got about
> 20 ounces of finished product. Hatch's are cheap this year - they
> usually start out at $1.19+, but this year they started at $.69-$.78
> at every store. Some stores may even knock that down to $.39 or $.49
> for a weekly sale. Northern California reported them at $.99/lb, and
> New York at $1.39.
>
> -sw

I just threw 4 of them on the gas grill to roast. Still have to defrost
and use the ones I did last summer. I'll freeze the ones on the grill now.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:04:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:58:33 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
>> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
>> difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
>> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year. I'm going
>> to have to scout around and see if anyone carries Hatch around here.

>I just roasted, peeled, and seeded about pounds yesterday, got about
>20 ounces of finished product. Hatch's are cheap this year - they
>usually start out at $1.19+, but this year they started at $.69-$.78
>at every store. Some stores may even knock that down to $.39 or $.49
>for a weekly sale. Northern California reported them at $.99/lb, and
>New York at $1.39.
>
>-sw

I called around. TJ's doesn't carry them. Whole Foods does and has a
load coming in Saturday evening. I was told they aren't getting many
in because 'they had a really bad season down there -- lots of rain.'
$1.49/lb.
Huh! I'm being played. I'll try Cash and Carry but don't hold much
hope there.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:58:33 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
> difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year. I'm going
> to have to scout around and see if anyone carries Hatch around here.
> Janet US

Act fast if you ever see an ad because they have a small harvest this
year due to bad weather and disease, plus less acreage in production.
I bought about a dozen (super straight) beauties and I'm sorry now
that I didn't buy all of them, but I was in a sharing mood at the time
and left some for others.

http://www.currentargus.com/carlsbad...our-decade-low

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:31:18 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I called around. TJ's doesn't carry them. Whole Foods does and has a
> load coming in Saturday evening. I was told they aren't getting many
> in because 'they had a really bad season down there -- lots of rain.'
> $1.49/lb.
> Huh! I'm being played. I'll try Cash and Carry but don't hold much
> hope there.

Mine were 99˘lb on sale and there weren't very many to choose from.
Get yourself over to WF as soon as they arrive or call and ask them
set aside whatever amount you want at the customer service desk. This
is not a year to be shopping price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:42:19 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:58:33 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>

>> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
>> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
>> difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
>> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year. I'm going
>> to have to scout around and see if anyone carries Hatch around here.
>> Janet US

>Act fast if you ever see an ad because they have a small harvest this
>year due to bad weather and disease, plus less acreage in production.
>I bought about a dozen (super straight) beauties and I'm sorry now
>that I didn't buy all of them, but I was in a sharing mood at the time
>and left some for others.
>
>http://www.currentargus.com/carlsbad...our-decade-low

good article. thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2014 10:58 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
> difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year. I'm going
> to have to scout around and see if anyone carries Hatch around here.
> Janet US

It is always a noticeable difference, the conditions in Hatch and Deming
(where most actually come from) are the best for chile in he nation.

Oh, fresh and shipped straight to your door if you prefer:

http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2014 11:31 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:04:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:58:33 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
>>> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
>>> difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
>>> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year. I'm going
>>> to have to scout around and see if anyone carries Hatch around here.

>> I just roasted, peeled, and seeded about pounds yesterday, got about
>> 20 ounces of finished product. Hatch's are cheap this year - they
>> usually start out at $1.19+, but this year they started at $.69-$.78
>> at every store. Some stores may even knock that down to $.39 or $.49
>> for a weekly sale. Northern California reported them at $.99/lb, and
>> New York at $1.39.
>>
>> -sw

> I called around. TJ's doesn't carry them. Whole Foods does and has a
> load coming in Saturday evening. I was told they aren't getting many
> in because 'they had a really bad season down there -- lots of rain.'
> $1.49/lb.
> Huh! I'm being played. I'll try Cash and Carry but don't hold much
> hope there.
> Janet US

http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

...fresh, to the door...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:33:19 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/
>
> ..fresh, to the door...

$5 a pound. Ouch!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2014 3:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:33:19 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>

>> http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/
>>
>> ..fresh, to the door...

> $5 a pound. Ouch!

I know - FedEx shipping has it's costs.

Alternately, Wal Mart has been getting Hatch chiles in on a sporadic
basis regionally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:33:19 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>On 8/14/2014 11:31 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:04:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> I just roasted, peeled, and seeded about pounds yesterday, got about
>>> 20 ounces of finished product. Hatch's are cheap this year - they
>>> usually start out at $1.19+, but this year they started at $.69-$.78
>>> at every store. Some stores may even knock that down to $.39 or $.49
>>> for a weekly sale. Northern California reported them at $.99/lb, and
>>> New York at $1.39.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I called around. TJ's doesn't carry them. Whole Foods does and has a
>> load coming in Saturday evening. I was told they aren't getting many
>> in because 'they had a really bad season down there -- lots of rain.'
>> $1.49/lb.
>> Huh! I'm being played. I'll try Cash and Carry but don't hold much
>> hope there.
>> Janet US
>>

>http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/
>
>..fresh, to the door...

Ah, yes. Thanks for the link. Looks like a good outfit. I was
aware you could order. If I can get them here, there's a savings of
over half. We'll see,
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
> difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year. I'm going
> to have to scout around and see if anyone carries Hatch around here.
> Janet US

I used to make stuffed Anaheim's. The filling had Jalapenos in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2014 3:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
>> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
>> difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
>> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year. I'm going
>> to have to scout around and see if anyone carries Hatch around here.
>> Janet US

> I used to make stuffed Anaheim's. The filling had Jalapenos in it.

A Poblano or Pasilla pepper is ideal for stuffing. Lots of girth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2014 3:40 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:33:19 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> On 8/14/2014 11:31 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> I called around. TJ's doesn't carry them. Whole Foods does and has a
>>> load coming in Saturday evening. I was told they aren't getting many
>>> in because 'they had a really bad season down there -- lots of rain.'
>>> $1.49/lb.
>>> Huh! I'm being played. I'll try Cash and Carry but don't hold much
>>> hope there.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> http://www.hatch-green-chile.com/
>>
>> ..fresh, to the door...

> Ah, yes. Thanks for the link. Looks like a good outfit. I was
> aware you could order. If I can get them here, there's a savings of
> over half. We'll see,
> Janet US

As I mentioned, Wal mart has been stocking them regionally, you may get
lucky there.

If not, enjoy and you're welcome.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
>difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year.

A "bust" eh?
There's always next year, plant them again.

I much prefer big blocky bell peppers for stuffing, I'm partial to
green but red works well too. If I wanted hot (I don't) it's simple
enough to add hot pepper to the stuffing mix, same as one does with
saw-seege mix.
I've grown lots of beautiful big peppers, many I've stuffed:
http://i61.tinypic.com/i29jir.jpg
I grow hot peppers too, most I give away:
http://i57.tinypic.com/15362dz.jpg
This pair of beauties were definitely perfect Double Ds:
http://i62.tinypic.com/21lnxx2.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:02:19 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> I've been craving chicken tortilla soup. I finished off my frozen,
>> roasted Hatch chilies and had to use fresh Anaheims. Wow! What a
>>difference. The flavor just isn't there. It's an o.k. soup but the
>> Hatch added a lot. My chili plants are a bust this year.

>A "bust" eh?
>There's always next year, plant them again.
>
>I much prefer big blocky bell peppers for stuffing, I'm partial to
>green but red works well too. If I wanted hot (I don't) it's simple
>enough to add hot pepper to the stuffing mix, same as one does with
>saw-seege mix.
>I've grown lots of beautiful big peppers, many I've stuffed:
>http://i61.tinypic.com/i29jir.jpg
>I grow hot peppers too, most I give away:
>http://i57.tinypic.com/15362dz.jpg
>This pair of beauties were definitely perfect Double Ds:
>http://i62.tinypic.com/21lnxx2.jpg

Oh, that's not fair. You always grow such beautiful produce. Your
full-sun situation makes me envious.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:06:45 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

[...]
>They knew that groundwater resources would be down due to enduring
>drought and that rain in a late monsoon could cause root rot:
>
>http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3523728.shtml

>But the rains that have swollen the nearby Rio Grande are a threat right
>now, about two weeks from harvest time.
>Too much rain starts to kill the roots.
>The rest of the plant wilts and the chiles wither and never reach maturity.
>“It doesn’t like rain,” Duggins said. “It likes a little shower here and
>there, and you can see the ground is wet from the rain, but this time it
>just caught us just when we needed to irrigate. We got an inch of rain
>about three days ago.”

Well maybe he needs an editor, but the gist of it seems to be that
chiles can tell the difference between rain, which they do not like,
and irrigation, which they must have. Unless they get a lot of fungal
disease from splashing, it makes very little sense to me.

>http://www.abqjournal.com/441014/biz...na-county.html
>
>Walker said she has noticed some disease problems, though not severe.
>That could change, however, with stormy weather in the forecast.
>
>At issue is that heavy or prolonged rains can drench chile fields,
>prompting plant diseases that can hurt the crop, Walker said.
>
>“I’m certainly concerned about the rain … ,” she said.

All in all, it sounds like our local weather folks. "We don't
actually have anything to say, but it is a popular topic so we will
jabber a lot every time there is a passing cloud." In the case of
chile, it is an important and symbolic crop, so there must be stories
about it. Since it looks like they are having a successful start, you
can either write about "yup, there they are again" or "OMFG, it might
rain, sleet, hail, snow, or whatever and if it did, it would mean
fewer chilies."

And, as noted before, there are plentiful Hatch chiles at modest
prices in the stores here in central Texas, so I doubt that the crop
has failed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:10:14 -0500, B. Server >
wrote:

> And, as noted before, there are plentiful Hatch chiles at modest
> prices in the stores here in central Texas, so I doubt that the crop
> has failed.

There isn't much of it for the rest of the country.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2014 10:10 AM, B. Server wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:06:45 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> They knew that groundwater resources would be down due to enduring
>> drought and that rain in a late monsoon could cause root rot:
>>
>> http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3523728.shtml

>> But the rains that have swollen the nearby Rio Grande are a threat right
>> now, about two weeks from harvest time.
>> Too much rain starts to kill the roots.
>> The rest of the plant wilts and the chiles wither and never reach maturity.
>> “It doesn’t like rain,” Duggins said. “It likes a little shower here and
>> there, and you can see the ground is wet from the rain, but this time it
>> just caught us just when we needed to irrigate. We got an inch of rain
>> about three days ago.”

> Well maybe he needs an editor, but the gist of it seems to be that
> chiles can tell the difference between rain, which they do not like,
> and irrigation, which they must have. Unless they get a lot of fungal
> disease from splashing, it makes very little sense to me.

The difference is irrigation water is delivered at timed intervals and
amounts, to avoid root rot.

Rain is uncontrollable.

Also with drought the Rio Grande is down and that means pumping saline
groundwater, which chiles tolerate but do not like.

>> http://www.abqjournal.com/441014/biz...na-county.html
>>
>> Walker said she has noticed some disease problems, though not severe.
>> That could change, however, with stormy weather in the forecast.
>>
>> At issue is that heavy or prolonged rains can drench chile fields,
>> prompting plant diseases that can hurt the crop, Walker said.
>>
>> “I’m certainly concerned about the rain … ,” she said.

> All in all, it sounds like our local weather folks. "We don't
> actually have anything to say, but it is a popular topic so we will
> jabber a lot every time there is a passing cloud." In the case of
> chile, it is an important and symbolic crop, so there must be stories
> about it. Since it looks like they are having a successful start, you
> can either write about "yup, there they are again" or "OMFG, it might
> rain, sleet, hail, snow, or whatever and if it did, it would mean
> fewer chilies."

In New Mexico drought is persistent, so the fear remains.

> And, as noted before, there are plentiful Hatch chiles at modest
> prices in the stores here in central Texas, so I doubt that the crop
> has failed.

Not yet, of course not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 13:38:56 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> On 8/16/2014 10:10 AM, B. Server wrote:
>
> In New Mexico drought is persistent, so the fear remains.
>
> > And, as noted before, there are plentiful Hatch chiles at modest
> > prices in the stores here in central Texas, so I doubt that the crop
> > has failed.

> Not yet, of course not.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/mapsan...aparchive.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2014 12:16 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:10:14 -0500, B. Server >
> wrote:
>
>> And, as noted before, there are plentiful Hatch chiles at modest
>> prices in the stores here in central Texas, so I doubt that the crop
>> has failed.

> There isn't much of it for the rest of the country.

Regional crops are like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 13:38:56 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> On 8/16/2014 10:10 AM, B. Server wrote:
>
> In New Mexico drought is persistent, so the fear remains.
>
> > And, as noted before, there are plentiful Hatch chiles at modest
> > prices in the stores here in central Texas, so I doubt that the crop
> > has failed.

> Not yet, of course not.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/mapsan...aparchive.aspx

Hatch chilis ImStillMags General Cooking 39 09-09-2014 08:40 PM
Completely heatless Anaheim Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 24 08-05-2012 04:41 AM
Anaheim Peppers DanS.[_2_] General Cooking 60 05-08-2010 05:39 PM
Anaheim Eats? Goomba38 General Cooking 8 25-04-2006 03:30 PM
Poblano versus anaheim Peter Aitken General Cooking 7 14-10-2005 10:11 PM