Anny Middon

Default Lemon juice versus vinegar -- also tomatillos versus green tomatoes

Once the first frost hits I'll have some green tomatoes to use up. There's
a recipe for tomatillo salsa I plan to try that specifically says green
tomatoes can be subbed for the tomatillos. The recipe calls for bottled
lemon juice, though. I'd rather use vinegar. How acidic is lemon juice?
How much vinegar do I have to sub to be equivalent?

Also, can green tomatoes be subbed in general for tomatillos? I've got a
recipe I like I'd just as soon use.

Anny

Peter Watson

publish the recipe and you'll get comments

Peter Watson

Anny Middon wrote:

> Once the first frost hits I'll have some green tomatoes to use up. There's
> a recipe for tomatillo salsa I plan to try that specifically says green
> tomatoes can be subbed for the tomatillos. The recipe calls for bottled
> lemon juice, though. I'd rather use vinegar. How acidic is lemon juice?
> How much vinegar do I have to sub to be equivalent?
>
> Also, can green tomatoes be subbed in general for tomatillos? I've got a
> recipe I like I'd just as soon use.
>
> Anny

Anny Middon

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message

> Bottle lemon juice and most commercial vinegars are 5% acid and can be
> substituted for each other
> Ellen

Thanks, Ellen! That's just the info I was looking for!

Anny

Kathi

Peter Watson > wrote in message >...
> publish the recipe and you'll get comments
>
> Peter Watson
>
> Anny Middon wrote:
>
> > Once the first frost hits I'll have some green tomatoes to use up. There's
> > a recipe for tomatillo salsa I plan to try that specifically says green
> > tomatoes can be subbed for the tomatillos. The recipe calls for bottled
> > lemon juice, though. I'd rather use vinegar. How acidic is lemon juice?
> > How much vinegar do I have to sub to be equivalent?
> >
> > Also, can green tomatoes be subbed in general for tomatillos? I've got a
> > recipe I like I'd just as soon use.
> >
> > Anny

I'd be curious to know this too, as I'll end up with a bunch of green
tomatoes soon too. However, when I make salsa (using red tomatoes)
the recipe calls for cider vinegar and I've been wondering what it
would be like with lime juice, and how much to use.

Like Peter said, post your recipe and lets see...

Kathi

Anny Middon

Top posting 'cause it's easier to see the recipe.

This is the one that says it's okay to use green tomatoes, but calls for
lemon juice. It's from the USDA guide to canning:

Tomatillo Green Salsa

5 cups chopped tomatillos
1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles
1/2 cup seeded, finely chopped jalapeno peppers
4 cups chopped onions
1 cup bottled lemon juice
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin*
3 tablespoons oregano leaves*
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high
heat until
mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2O minutes, stirring
occasionally. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust
lids and
process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20
minutes at
1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

Yield: 5 pints

*Optional, see page 18.

You may use green tomatoes in this recipe instead of tomatillos.
-------------------------------

The other recipe -- the one I'd prefer to make if I can sub green tomatoes
for the tomatillos -- is from the current BBB. Recipe is not at
homecanning.com, but I can input it if anyone wants.

It seems to me that a cup of lemon juice is overkill for 11 cups of veggies
that include 5 cups of tomatillos. I made another salsa recipe from the
USDA guide last night and it was too tart for my taste.

Anny

"Kathi" > wrote in message
om...
> Peter Watson > wrote in message

> > publish the recipe and you'll get comments
> >
> > Peter Watson
> >
> > Anny Middon wrote:
> >
> > > Once the first frost hits I'll have some green tomatoes to use up.

There's
> > > a recipe for tomatillo salsa I plan to try that specifically says

green
> > > tomatoes can be subbed for the tomatillos. The recipe calls for

bottled
> > > lemon juice, though. I'd rather use vinegar. How acidic is lemon

juice?
> > > How much vinegar do I have to sub to be equivalent?
> > >
> > > Also, can green tomatoes be subbed in general for tomatillos? I've

got a
> > > recipe I like I'd just as soon use.
> > >
> > > Anny
> > >

> I'd be curious to know this too, as I'll end up with a bunch of green
> tomatoes soon too. However, when I make salsa (using red tomatoes)
> the recipe calls for cider vinegar and I've been wondering what it
> would be like with lime juice, and how much to use.
>
> Like Peter said, post your recipe and lets see...
>
> Kathi

NCHFP

When working with acidified food recipes for boiling water canning you
can substitute lemon juice for vinegar in recipes. You cannot
substitute vinegar for lemon juice. Lemon juice has more acid than
vinegar. No conversion is available.

Green tomatoes and tomatillos can be substituted for ripe tomatoes in
any recipe. They are more acidic. Ripe tomatoes cannot be
substituted for green tomatoes or tomatillos in recipes.

Brian Nummer, PhD
National Center for Home Food Preservation
http://www.homefoodpreservation.com
zxcvbob

NCHFP wrote:
> When working with acidified food recipes for boiling water canning you
> can substitute lemon juice for vinegar in recipes. You cannot
> substitute vinegar for lemon juice. Lemon juice has more acid than
> vinegar. No conversion is available.
>
> Green tomatoes and tomatillos can be substituted for ripe tomatoes in
> any recipe. They are more acidic. Ripe tomatoes cannot be
> substituted for green tomatoes or tomatillos in recipes.
>
> Brian Nummer, PhD
> National Center for Home Food Preservation
> http://www.homefoodpreservation.com

Welcome back Dr. Nummer,
What is the conversion for substituting citric acid crystals in a recipe
that calls for standard 5% vinegar? Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob
NCHFP

> Welcome back Dr. Nummer,
> What is the conversion for substituting citric acid crystals in a recipe
> that calls for standard 5% vinegar? Thanks.
>
> Best regards, Bob

"Acidification: To ensure safe acidity in whole, crushed, or juiced
tomatoes, add two tablespoons of bottled lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon
of citric acid per quart of tomatoes. For pints, use one tablespoon
bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid. Acid can be added
directly to the jars before filling with product. Add sugar to offset
acid taste, if desired. Four tablespoons of a 5 percent acidity
vinegar per quart may be used instead of lemon juice or citric acid.
However, vinegar may cause undesirable flavor changes".

Note that this is only to acidify tomatoes and not other recipes.
Other foods are recipe specific and we do not have conversion numbers.
Scott

In article >,
ellen wickberg > wrote:

> I have been pondering this message for quite a while. If the vinegar we use
> is standardized to 5% acidity and we are using bottled lemon juice, also
> standardized to 5% acidity, in what way does lemon juice have more acid than
> vinegar?

Is citric acid stronger than acetic in equal volumes?

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott