Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Completely heatless Anaheim

I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
but this is ridiculous. After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
need to add to this morning's scramble. Nothing. So I tried a more
sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
Nothing. Not the tiniest little tingle.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 May 2012 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
>but this is ridiculous. After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
>my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
>need to add to this morning's scramble. Nothing. So I tried a more
>sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
>Nothing. Not the tiniest little tingle.
>
>--Bryan

If you are familiar with Anaheims, you know they are reputed to
produce peppers that are all over the map heat wise. I've only had
one growing year that produced the no-heat kind. The rest of them had
warning labels.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2012 8:22 AM, Bryan wrote:
> I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
> but this is ridiculous. After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
> my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
> need to add to this morning's scramble. Nothing. So I tried a more
> sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
> Nothing. Not the tiniest little tingle.

Obviously, there is something wrong with that eye. Try the other one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 10:44*am, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> On 5/2/2012 8:22 AM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
> > but this is ridiculous. *After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
> > my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
> > need to add to this morning's scramble. *Nothing. *So I tried a more
> > sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
> > Nothing. *Not the tiniest little tingle.

> Obviously, there is something wrong with that eye. Try the other one.

It's funny how people react differently to different stuff. When I
get a little capsaicin in my eye, it isn't a big deal, but cutting up
onions is downright painful. My wife is exactly the opposite.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 May 2012 09:44:49 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>On 5/2/2012 8:22 AM, Bryan wrote:
>> I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
>> but this is ridiculous. After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
>> my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
>> need to add to this morning's scramble. Nothing. So I tried a more
>> sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
>> Nothing. Not the tiniest little tingle.

>Obviously, there is something wrong with that eye. Try the other one.

Naughty, naughty ;o)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> If you are familiar with Anaheims, you know they are reputed to
> produce peppers that are all over the map heat wise. I've only had
> one growing year that produced the no-heat kind. The rest of them had
> warning labels.

Sounds like (dum-dum-DUM...) Frankenfood!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 10:10*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> >I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
> >but this is ridiculous. *After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
> >my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
> >need to add to this morning's scramble. *Nothing. *So I tried a more
> >sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
> >Nothing. *Not the tiniest little tingle.

> >--Bryan

> If you are familiar with Anaheims, you know they are reputed to
> produce peppers that are all over the map heat wise. *I've only had
> one growing year that produced the no-heat kind. *The rest of them had
> warning labels.

I've grown Big Jims several years. They'd start out mild at the
beginning of the season, and by the end they'd be blazing, especially
if I let them ripen, but I've never had one that was no heat
whatsoever. I just started some more Big Jims. I had misplaced the
packet of seeds, and just found them this morning.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 11:58*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
> > I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
> > but this is ridiculous. *After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
> > my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
> > need to add to this morning's scramble. *Nothing. *So I tried a more
> > sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
> > Nothing. *Not the tiniest little tingle.

> All the anaheims I've bought have been like that. *I don't even bother
> with them unless I need roasted peppers for something and it's not
> July/August.
>
> 80% of the jalapenos I've bought so far this year have been tasteless
> and nearly heatless. *Green peppers have more flavor.

They seem to have bred some of the heat out of grocery store
jalapenos. If I want hotter, I get serranos, or just use more.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 May 2012 12:12:37 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> If you are familiar with Anaheims, you know they are reputed to
>> produce peppers that are all over the map heat wise. I've only had
>> one growing year that produced the no-heat kind. The rest of them had
>> warning labels.

>Sounds like (dum-dum-DUM...) Frankenfood!

You're the conspiracy theory guy, right?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 May 2012 11:58:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 2 May 2012 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
>
>> I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
>> but this is ridiculous. After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
>> my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
>> need to add to this morning's scramble. Nothing. So I tried a more
>> sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
>> Nothing. Not the tiniest little tingle.

>All the anaheims I've bought have been like that. I don't even bother
>with them unless I need roasted peppers for something and it's not
>July/August.
>
>80% of the jalapenos I've bought so far this year have been tasteless
>and nearly heatless. Green peppers have more flavor.
>
>-sw

can't you grow your own? I grow all my hot peppers in pots on my deck
and get far more than I can use. Even frozen, the peppers still
scorch.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 2, 8:44*am, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> On 5/2/2012 8:22 AM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
> > but this is ridiculous. *After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
> > my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
> > need to add to this morning's scramble. *Nothing. *So I tried a more
> > sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
> > Nothing. *Not the tiniest little tingle.

> Obviously, there is something wrong with that eye. Try the other one.

LMAO!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
> but this is ridiculous. After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
> my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
> need to add to this morning's scramble. Nothing. So I tried a more
> sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
> Nothing. Not the tiniest little tingle.

Well hopefully you won't get the heatless Jalapenos! I did some stuffed
Anaheims and the stuffing had Jalapenos in it. Felt like I was eating a
bell pepper!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2012 4:23 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012 11:58:15 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 May 2012 07:22:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
>>
>>> I realize than Anaheims are dumbed down from their NuMex ancestors,
>>> but this is ridiculous. After pulling the veins and seeds out, I put
>>> my finger in my mouth to gauge heat so I'd know how many jalapenos I'd
>>> need to add to this morning's scramble. Nothing. So I tried a more
>>> sensitive test, and put my finger into the inside corner of my eye.
>>> Nothing. Not the tiniest little tingle.

>> All the anaheims I've bought have been like that. I don't even bother
>> with them unless I need roasted peppers for something and it's not
>> July/August.
>>
>> 80% of the jalapenos I've bought so far this year have been tasteless
>> and nearly heatless. Green peppers have more flavor.
>>
>> -sw

> can't you grow your own? I grow all my hot peppers in pots on my deck
> and get far more than I can use. Even frozen, the peppers still
> scorch.
> Janet US

It must be a local variation; the jalapenos I have bought have been
surprisingly hot. Now, cubanelle peppers are mild but I prefer them to
green sweet peppers.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-02 22:01:11 +0000, James Silverton said:

> On 5/2/2012 4:23 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 May 2012 11:58:15 -0500, >
>> wrote:

>>> All the anaheims I've bought have been like that. I don't even bother
>>> with them unless I need roasted peppers for something and it's not
>>> July/August.
>>>
>>> 80% of the jalapenos I've bought so far this year have been tasteless
>>> and nearly heatless. Green peppers have more flavor.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> can't you grow your own? I grow all my hot peppers in pots on my deck
>> and get far more than I can use. Even frozen, the peppers still
>> scorch.
>> Janet US

> It must be a local variation; the jalapenos I have bought have been
> surprisingly hot. Now, cubanelle peppers are mild but I prefer them to
> green sweet peppers.

It's global warming.

Relative to all manner of peppers including Anaheim's, shishito and
jalapeños, I've never noticed any consistency to any of it. Shishitos,
right from our garden, can vary dramatically; grown together and picked
on the same day.
--
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> It must be a local variation; the jalapenos I have bought have been
> surprisingly hot. Now, cubanelle peppers are mild but I prefer them to
> green sweet peppers.

Are cubanelles a new breed or a new name for an old breed? Bell peppers
are one of my very strong dislikes and I've generally figured the
peppers I like are the hot ones. Cubanelles and pimentos dispprove that
rule. Must be something very specific to bells that I dislike.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Are cubanelles a new breed or a new name for an old breed? Bell peppers
> are one of my very strong dislikes and I've generally figured the
> peppers I like are the hot ones. Cubanelles and pimentos dispprove that
> rule. Must be something very specific to bells that I dislike.

Cubanelles are used interchangeably with anaheims (i.e., very mild but
not sweet). Here's a description:

<http://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-types.html>

Here's everything you ever wanted to know:

<http://www.g6csy.net/chile/database.html>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2012 12:23 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> It must be a local variation; the jalapenos I have bought have been
>> surprisingly hot. Now, cubanelle peppers are mild but I prefer them to
>> green sweet peppers.

> Are cubanelles a new breed or a new name for an old breed? Bell peppers
> are one of my very strong dislikes and I've generally figured the
> peppers I like are the hot ones. Cubanelles and pimentos dispprove that
> rule. Must be something very specific to bells that I dislike.

I can't say much about the name but I remember seeing them long before I
bought my first one. They are not much use for stuffing but sliced they
work well in Chinese food. I think there *are* hot peppers that look
similar.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2012 1:57 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 5/4/2012 12:23 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>>
>>> It must be a local variation; the jalapenos I have bought have been
>>> surprisingly hot. Now, cubanelle peppers are mild but I prefer them to
>>> green sweet peppers.

>> Are cubanelles a new breed or a new name for an old breed? Bell peppers
>> are one of my very strong dislikes and I've generally figured the
>> peppers I like are the hot ones. Cubanelles and pimentos dispprove that
>> rule. Must be something very specific to bells that I dislike.

> I can't say much about the name but I remember seeing them long before I
> bought my first one. They are not much use for stuffing but sliced they
> work well in Chinese food. I think there *are* hot peppers that look
> similar.

Can I add that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capsicum_cultivars
seems informative and reliable.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> Are cubanelles a new breed or a new name for an old breed?

> Can I add that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capsicum_cultivars
> seems informative and reliable.

According to that table I suspect that what I now call cubanelles are a
type of pepper that was called "Italian sweet peppers" when I was a kid.
They used to be available on pizzas where I grew up.

Thanx!

Hatch vs. Anaheim chilis Janet Bostwick General Cooking 26 17-08-2014 07:03 PM
Anaheim Peppers DanS.[_2_] General Cooking 60 05-08-2010 05:39 PM
California Green Chiles (Anaheim) Janet B. General Cooking 61 02-10-2007 09:02 PM
Anaheim Eats? Goomba38 General Cooking 8 25-04-2006 03:30 PM
Poblano versus anaheim Peter Aitken General Cooking 7 14-10-2005 10:11 PM