Questions about the "pork" smell with pork

Old 27-11-2004, 05:39 AM
Steve Lee
Usenet poster

Default Questions about the "pork" smell with pork

I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.

Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
encoutered this before?

I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.

Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
courtesy.
Old 27-11-2004, 05:50 AM
BOB
Usenet poster

Steve Lee wrote:
I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.

Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
encoutered this before?

I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.

Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
courtesy.

Use proper refrigeration?

Old 27-11-2004, 07:49 AM
Bigbazza
Usenet poster

"Steve Lee" wrote in message
I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.

Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
encoutered this before?

I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.

Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
courtesy.

Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a day
or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it whilst
cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a stronger
smell about it !!

If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a
marinade until the next day only....

Bigbazza

Old 27-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Bob (this one)
Usenet poster

Bigbazza wrote:

"Steve Lee" wrote in message=20
=20
I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.

Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
encoutered this before?

Yes. It's the smell of pork.

I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.

Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
courtesy.

This is totally subjective issue. That smell is the smell of the meat.=20
Nothing much to do about it. Heavy seasoning, smoking, grilling=20
outdoors and other such remedies can mask the scent, but why bother.=20
It sounds like you don't like pork. Don't eat pork. Try some milder=20
meats like rabbit or alligator.

Like Bob say's 'Refrigeration'....If you leave the pork longer than a=

day=20
or so..It will develop that 'smell' about it and you will notice it whi=

lst=20
cooking it then!!...It's not necessarily 'off'...but develops a stronge=

r=20
smell about it !!
=20
If buying 'Pork' to use longer than a day...'Freeze ' it or put in a=20
marinade until the next day only....

This is not good advice. Too sweeping. Pork in cryopackaging will last=20
up to 45 days from pack date without any problems. Most freshly cut=20
pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30=B0F range will last four or=20
five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut=20
meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.

Pastorio

Old 27-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Bigbazza
Usenet poster

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message
Bigbazza wrote:

"Steve Lee" wrote in message

[...]

pork stored at a fridge temp in the mid-30F range will last four or
five days before any spoilage scents begin to emerge. That's why cut
meats have sell-by dates on them that are more than a day away.

Pastorio

Well....Good advice or not...It works well with me !!....I have been cooking
food and handling it now for nearly 60 years !!..

Bigbazza

Old 27-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Bob (this one)
Usenet poster

Bigbazza wrote:

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message=20
Bigbazza wrote:
=20
"Steve Lee" wrote in message=20
. ..

[...]

oking=20
food and handling it now for nearly 60 years !!..

I'm happy for you. Except for that "I have to be right" part.

I had my first restaurant job in 1953. We did things differently than=20
you do, it would seem. The other different thing we did and I've=20
always done is to read about food science while taking professional=20
training.

Your advice is like telling somebody they have to consume that milk on=20
the first day they buy it. No real reason, just "It works well with=20
me" no matter what.

Pastorio

Old 27-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Bigbazza

Bigbazza wrote:

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message
Bigbazza wrote:

"Steve Lee" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I also will mention...I am an Idustrial Scientist as well.....I know food
very well...Just thought I would mention it along the way...LOL.....Now I
also must take 'exception' with your .."I have to be right " part.... I said
...That 'WORKS" for me !!...Not that I have to be 'Always Right'
bit...Anyway...You show off your 'Credentials' and I won't 'normally' show
off mine...OK....I was just giving a little advice as I MYSELF find that
'WORKS FOR ME"...Get it !!..I don't have to run into an 'Augument' by giving
what 'Works for me...now DO I !!....This is not a 'Science' Graduate course
we have going here !! IS It ?? It is a home 'Cookery' group...

Bigbazza

Old 27-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Katra
Usenet poster

Steve Lee wrote:

I know this sounds like an odd question and of course pork is supposed
to smell like pork, but please bear with me on this one.

Sometimes when I cook pork, I get that strong, what I can only
describe it as being the "pork" smell. It's that smell from the
cooked pork that's too strong to handle. Just the right amount and
you know you're eating pork, but when it gets too strong, I can't
handle it and it's another dinner ruined for me. Have any of you
encoutered this before?

I've tried different meat shops and markets, but I often encounter
this problem in my dishes with pork and I'm wondering if there's
something I'm doing wrong or not doing to avoid this.

Do any of you have suggestions to reduce the possibility of a too
strong porky smell in your pork dishes? Thanks for your time and
courtesy.

I know what you mean...
I tend to run into this problem when I make shoulder roasts.

I stab the roast all over now and sliver garlic cloves and slip the
slivers of garlic into the stabs. I then top with various herbs before
roasting.

That has eliminated the "musty" porky overtone, especially once the
roast leftovers cool and get re-sliced for later serving.

The garlic pretty well eliminates it. :-)

Just my 2 cents!
--
K.